Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim

As I sent you the photograph of the Hendon Infirmary plaque I take it that you are looking for another photograph of the plaque in its new location at Tottenham. I will make some enquiries and see if it has been moved.

Hello Myrtle, you have hit the nail on the head. But I somehow doubt if the wheels of beaurocracy have moved that fast. I have tagged it hopefully to keep an eye on whether it will be reinstalled or languish in some cellar to be forgotten. Jim

In this list for Lancashire, you quote a place called Edenford. Should this be Edenfield? If so, you can send me details, and I'll endeavour to get what you want.

Paul.

Paul, Absolutely right. It should be Edenfield. Eliza Jane Reeves, QMAAC, died 7/1/19, is buried there and I need a photograph of her headstone. Worth ckecking out the local war memorial, too. If you can get this for me I shall be most grateful, Jim

BLee, This is one that I need so I shall send you my email address so that you can send a copy direct. It looks like some animal has been trying to dig her up ! You have kindly offered other Dublin photographs so I list here my needs to see if you can help.

Sophia Violet BARRETT, VAD, died 10/10/18. Buried in Kilteman churchyard, Dublin. Additionally, her name is on the memorial list of parishioners on the outside of Tully Church, Brighton Road, Foxrock, Carrickmines, Co. Dublin. And lastly, for her, I should love to have a photograph of the communion chalice (still used today, I believe) at Tully Church. This is something special and that I would like to record.

There is a memorial tablet commemorating Irish nurses who gave their lives in the Great War in the Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin. I should like a photograph of it.

Martha FARLEY, QAIMNS, died 1/6/18. Buried in plot 411. 281. Mount Jerome Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Kate IRWIN, QMAAC, died 23/11/18. Buried in plot 330. 214. Mount Jerome Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Dorothy May JONES, VAD. Her name is on a paper memorial scroll and also a memorial plaque in Christ Church of Ireland, Marine Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. Also on a memorial in St. Patrick’s Church, Harbour Road, Dalkey, Co. Dublin.

Henrietta MELLETT, CAMC, died 10/10/18. She is buried in plot 410. A62. Mount Jerome Cemetery, Co. Dublin.

Hi Jim,I posted this in the wrong thread earlier,if you don't get the one's from Limerick in the next four to six weeks I will do them for you.

Brendan

Hi Jim,I posted this in the wrong thread earlier,if you don't get the one's from Limerick in the next four to six weeks I will do them for you.

Brendan

Thank you, Brendan. If you need a list of my Limerick needs I will try and itemise them in five lines. Just ask.

Thank you, Brendan. If you need a list of my Limerick needs I will try and itemise them in five lines. Just ask.

Hi Jim,I still have the names you originally emailed,just to make sure maybe it's best to give them to me again in case you have anymore added since.

Regards

Brendan

Hi Jim,I still have the names you originally emailed,just to make sure maybe it's best to give them to me again in case you have anymore added since.

Regards

Brendan

Ok, Limerick it is.

The ladies are Q.M.A.A.C.,

All lying in St.Lawrence Cemetery,

One Agnes and two Mary,

McMahon, Wallace and Daly,

I hope that you can snap all three.

Mary E. Daly, QMAAC, died 5/6/19. buried in St. Lawrence Catholic Cemetery, Limerick, plot 32851

Agnes McMahon, QMAAC, died 27/10/18. buried in St. Lawrence Catholic Cemetery, plot 32180

Mary Wallace, QMAAC, died 14/3/19. buried in St. Lawrence Catholic Cemetery, plot 32684

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Jim

What do you need at Crosshill, Ayrshire?

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny, I need a photograph of the grave of :-

Bessie HARKNESS, QAIMNS, died 11/4/19. She is buried in Crosshill Cemetery, plot - Sec.C., Lair 354. It may have the name Elizabeth Harkness as that is the name on the Crosshill War Memorial.

Hello Jim

Well I am still here! I have the photos of the Honour Board for Sophie Hilling at the former Deptford Council Chambers. I can honestly say it took my breath away. Not uploaded yet but took about 20 so one has to be ok!

cheers

Judy

Hello Jim

Well I am still here! I have the photos of the Honour Board for Sophie Hilling at the former Deptford Council Chambers. I can honestly say it took my breath away. Not uploaded yet but took about 20 so one has to be ok!

cheers

Judy

Judy, You are a star. This is one I particularly wanted to get hold of. J

Bessie HARKNESS, QAIMNS, died 11/4/19. She is buried in Crosshill Cemetery, plot - Sec.C., Lair 354. It may have the name Elizabeth Harkness as that is the name on the Crosshill War Memorial.

Hello Jim

I went there today.

I have several LARGE files of the grave and the war memorial for you. Please see an example of 1 for the war memorial.

Kenny

post-52243-1272374329.jpg

Jim

Here's another - this time one of her grave. I'm going hillwalking this week and won't be able to do justice to the photographs until early next week - rest assured, I will send them on!

Meantime, although I can't promise, what do you need at Dunblane, Perthshire and Tain, Ross-shire?

Kenny

post-52243-1272374817.jpg

Jim

I managed to get the photos sent to you.

Can you confirm you received them ok?

Kenny Bell

Thank you, Kenny. Safely received. Very nice they are, too, and completes my Ayrshire needs (at least until I find any more).

As to your other locations here they are :-

DUNBLANE

I understand that the name of Grace SHARP is mentioned on the Dunblane War Memorial. I know nothing more about her. I don't know if Jeanie E. McCLYMONT, VAD (died 13/2/19) is there, too, for she was from Ault, Dunblane and may be on it. She may even be in the Ault Cemetery as I have yet to find her final resting place. Gertrude ROW-FOGO, VAD may also be on the memorial although I know that she is not buried there. Her brother in law was into stained glass windows so it would be marvellous if there was a stained glass window in the church to her memory.

TAIN

The name of Elizabeth Ness MacBean ROSS, VAD (died 14/2/15) is on a brass plaque in St. Duthas Church, Tain, Ross-shire.

Hello Judy,

You have already been on the case of some of these. I am looking for a photograph of the grave of Dorothy Maud Mary CROWTHER, munition worker, buried in New Cemetery, Willesden. Died 2/5/18. Possible grave unmarked.Marjorie ALLOM, VAD, died 6/11/18, is almost certainly buried somewhere in Willesden, but I have no idea where.

With Edmonton, some more difficult ones. Three munition girls were killed 5/2/19 at the Weir Hall Munition Works, Edmonton. These were Elizabeth BLANCHE, Josephine GOATLEY and Alice Rodway. All three were almost certainly buried locally. And there is also the elusive memorial plaque that was in the North Middlesex Hospital, Edmonton with the name of five nurses on it. It has yet to be traced.

So I think that these will be virtually impossible to get and will have to remain outstanding. Unless you are a female Sherlock Holmes, of course.

Hello Jim

I have not been able to find any record of the burial place of Dorothy Maud Mary CROWTHER. Even though the Acton Gazette does mention she is buried at Willesden New, there is no record of her there, nor in any of the Brent cemeteries, nor any of the surrounding borough cemeteries. I do really hope someone else can have more success than I have had. Sometimes a second look at a register can produce results.

Unfortunately I had the following reply from North Middlesex Hospital re the memorial plaque -

Unfortunately the marble tablet on the Chancel Wall was destroyed when the chapel was bombed in the 2nd World War. We are sorry that we are unable to help you with your enquiry.

Judy

PS I have just sent the photos of the Honour Board for Sophie Hilling

Hi Jim

I have a number of photos of memorials to woman which may be of interest to you from the Bham area;

Sister Rose Elizebath Kendal Q.A.I.M.N.S. Died 26/02/1918 aged 31. Buried HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON 

Remembered on the stained glass window memorial of Small Heath Baptist church

Staff Nurse Veronica Nora Brett T.F.N.S. Died home 20/05/1915 buried Bham Lodge Hill cemetery. Remembered on the Bham Education Memorial.

NurseEvelyn Fidegon Shaw F.A.N.Y Died 24/08/1918 awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palm (France). Buried SEZANNE COMMUNAL CEMETERY FRANCE 

remembered on St Bartholomew Church memorial Edgbaston Bham.

Matron Katy Beaufoy Q.A.I.M.N.S Died 22/06/1918. Served on board H.M Hospital Ship Clenart Castle.

Buried HOLLYBROOK MEMORIAL, SOUTHAMPTON. Remembered on St James the Great memorial Birmingham. Died the same date & buried in the same place as Sister Kendal above.  

The above are also remembered in the Book of Remeberance in Bham Hall of Memory.

I also have some photos of Bham University war memorial which has a couple of woman on. This can be found on line. http://www.historical2.bham.ac.uk/memorial/ww1/c/c.htm. These include Elizabeth S Impey, Rose Sidgwick. There is also a Vivian H Symons but I think this is a male.

Now the problem. I have not yet worked out how to change the size of photos to enable me to attach them. If you would like to PM me with your email address I can send them to you that way.

Regards

Tony

Judy, Deptford Memorial Board photographs received with grateful thanks. I think that you have now got my London/Middlesex needs reduced to single figures. Thank you.

Tony, I obviously have a lot of work to do. None of these memorials were known to me before save for the Book of Remembrance. I shall send my email address to you direct. Thanks

LATER

Tony, thank you. Images received direct.

DUNBLANE

I understand that the name of Grace SHARP is mentioned on the Dunblane War Memorial. I know nothing more about her. I don't know if Jeanie E. McCLYMONT, VAD (died 13/2/19) is there, too, for she was from Ault, Dunblane and may be on it. She may even be in the Ault Cemetery as I have yet to find her final resting place. Gertrude ROW-FOGO, VAD may also be on the memorial although I know that she is not buried there. Her brother in law was into stained glass windows so it would be marvellous if there was a stained glass window in the church to her memory.

TAIN

The name of Elizabeth Ness MacBean ROSS, VAD (died 14/2/15) is on a brass plaque in St. Duthas Church, Tain, Ross-shire.

Jim

See example attached for Elizabeth Ross. This was a very difficult shot to get! The plaque was about 9 feet up a wall and the lighting was terrible. I'll send you all the shots I got later tomorrow.

As for Grace Sharp and Jeanie McClymont, please see the next 2 posts.

Regards

Kenny Bell

post-52243-1272922101.jpg

Thank you, Kenny. Safely received. Very nice they are, too, and completes my Ayrshire needs (at least until I find any more).

DUNBLANE

TAIN

Jim

This is the War Memorial at Dunblane.

Kenny

post-52243-1272922550.jpg

DUNBLANE

TAIN

Jim

I have sent the pictures I have relating to Grace Sharp, Jeanie McClymont and Elizabeth Ross tonight. Hope they are of some use to you.

Apologies for the poor quality for the Elizabeth Ross Pictures.

Regards

Kenny Bell

Thanks to the magnificent efforts of the Scottish contingent I seem to have only seven more locations left to go in Scotland. So I am bringing to the top again in the hope that with holidays looming more photographs can be obtained.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover,

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne, Wyke Regis

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston)

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Daviot

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down (Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bootle, Caton, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Greater Accrington, Manchester (6 + Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Edmonton (2), Islington, Tottenham (4), Willesden

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton)

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SHROPSHIRE, Condover, Shrewsbury,Wrockwardine

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Leatherhead, Thames Ditton

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, British Columbia (3), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jim

This is another "I can't promise but...." (a big but) message.

I'm off to visit relatives on Vancouver Island on June 16th. If I can, I'll cover the 2 you need at Victoria/Esquimalt - the bandstand plaque and the plaques within the church, access permitting.

Also, a friend is heading to Coleraine in July and has said if he can, he'd do a nosey for what you need there. So, I know what you need on Vancouver Island but can you let me know what you need for Coleraine and we'll see if we can get these for you?

Regards

Kenny Bell

Hello Jim

This is another "I can't promise but...." (a big but) message.

I'm off to visit relatives on Vancouver Island on June 16th. If I can, I'll cover the 2 you need at Victoria/Esquimalt - the bandstand plaque and the plaques within the church, access permitting.

Also, a friend is heading to Coleraine in July and has said if he can, he'd do a nosey for what you need there. So, I know what you need on Vancouver Island but can you let me know what you need for Coleraine and we'll see if we can get these for you?

Regards

Kenny Bell

Hello Kenny, Thank you for still being out there thinking of photographs for me. My requirement for Coleraine is the grave/headstone of Norah (or Nora) Dugan , VAD, who is buried in Articlave, Coleraine. Unfortunately I do not have a plot number but am guessing that the cemetery is of modest size. As she was a VAD, and therefore likely to be from a wealthy family, there may be a memorial in a local church. I wouldn't want your friend wasting too much of their time if they are on holiday.

What about the nurses who died when the RMS Leinster was sunk on 10 October 1918? I think there must have been quite a few aboard at the time of the disaster.