Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

Several pictures of Dorothy's grave and one of a stained glass window relating to Dorothy on their way to you. The church was closed but I managed to get a picture of the stained window through the window diagonally opposite it. Couldn't quite get it all but, see what you think.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, Safely received. The stained glass turned out pretty well bearing in mind the difficulty. From an aerial view that I have seen the church is rather pretty and contained in it's own grounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Jim. Do you need any help regarding SUFFOLK, Aldeburgh.

I'll watch this topic and I'll mail you my mail address if you do. Keep up the good work

Pete

Jim. Do you need any help regarding SUFFOLK, Aldeburgh.

I'll watch this topic and I'll mail you my mail address if you do. Keep up the good work

Pete

Hello Pete, Thank you for the offer. My requirements are back a page (post 793). Unfortunately I have no needs from Aldeburgh but I appreciate the offer, Regards, Jim

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. I seem to be adding more than have been coming off recently so would really appreciate help in whittling some of the outstanding photograph requirements down.

United Kingdom

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Llangadock, Llanybydder

DORSETSHIRE, Charmouth, Sherborne, Wyke Regis

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon

ESSEX, Saffron Walden

FIFE, Dunfirmline

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff West, Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston), Southsea

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Kingussie

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down x 2 (Newry and Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine - elusive), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Dukinfield, Greater Accrington, Manchester (Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Southport, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Camden (Hampstead), East Sheen, Edmonton (2), Islington (2), Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, Tottenham (4), Twickenham, Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Govilon, Llanfigangel, Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SUFFOLK, Aldeburgh

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Naburn, Whitby,

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Herault, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Louth, Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Time for an update. I seem to be adding more than have been coming off recently so would really appreciate help in whittling some of the outstanding photograph requirements down.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

FIFE, Dunfirmline

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Kingussie

LOTHIAN, Musselburgh (Northesk)

Hi Jim

Dumbarton - I've not been able to have a nosey at this for a while but leave it with me and I'll see what I can do soon.

Fife - I see you didn't get anything for the Dunfermline case. Can you remind me of the details on this one?

Lothian - Musselburgh (Northesk). This is a new one to me. What do you need there?

As for the others, they are a bit out of the way for me but if you give me the details I'll keep them on my "maybe/to do" list!

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny, My requirements :-

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell - error on my part. I now have.

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride - Jeannie Glassfurd (or Glassford) DALTON, QAIMNS, who is buried in the north west corner of Kilbride Parish Churchyard. She died 20/3/16. Worth looking on the local war memorial, too.

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton - Lady Leila Mathilda SAMUELSON, VAD., who is in the 1st Bart.B. Vault 3.E., Dumbarton Cemetery. She died in France 18/6/15. A case where a body managed to be returned home. Obviously well connected there may be a memorial to her in the local church and the war memorial.

FIFE, Dunfermline - Catherine Cook MILLER, QAIMNS, who is buried in plot ED.1694, Dunfermline Cemetery. She had died 24/12/18.

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Kingussie - Elizabeth McDonald, QAIMNS, who is believed to be buried in a family plot in Kingussie Cemetery. She died 10/10/18.

LOTHIAN, Musselburgh (Northesk) - Helen Burnet WOOD, US Army nurse, who is commemotarted on the parish church memorial at Northesk, Musselburgh. She had died 20/5/17.

Hello Jim

Just sent you a message by e-mail.

I'm onto these although they may take a bit of time.

Bear with me.

Regards

Kenny

Jim.

Who are the ones buried at Misterton,Notts and at Billinghay and Blyton in Lincolnshire?.

I am also aware of a Castleford munitions lady who was killed at Royds Green,Rothwell,Leeds and is buried at Castleford General Cemetery.I think Royds Green must have been an outstation of the Barnbow munitions factory.I will get a photograph of her gravestone as soon as I can.

Regards

Frank

LOTHIAN, Musselburgh (Northesk) - Helen Burnet WOOD, US Army nurse, who is commemotarted on the parish church memorial at Northesk, Musselburgh. She had died 20/5/17.

Jim

On doing another bit of research for this one, I found this: http://www.scottishwarmemorials.co.uk/

If you do a search there for Northesk, you will see that a user called gourdongirl has already posted a photograph of this memorial and offered another member a copy. Perhaps you could contact that user? If that doesn't work, I will, of course, keep it on my "to do" list.

Kenny

Jim

On doing another bit of research for this one, I found this: http://www.scottishwarmemorials.co.uk/

If you do a search there for Northesk, you will see that a user called gourdongirl has already posted a photograph of this memorial and offered another member a copy. Perhaps you could contact that user? If that doesn't work, I will, of course, keep it on my "to do" list.

Kenny

Kenny, I now have the Northesk memorial so that can come off the list, Jim

Jim.

Who are the ones buried at Misterton,Notts and at Billinghay and Blyton in Lincolnshire?.

I am also aware of a Castleford munitions lady who was killed at Royds Green,Rothwell,Leeds and is buried at Castleford General Cemetery.I think Royds Green must have been an outstation of the Barnbow munitions factory.I will get a photograph of her gravestone as soon as I can.

Regards

Frank

Frank,

Misterton, Notts - Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS, civilian nurse, buried plot J.9., Haxey Road Cemetery, Misterton. Died 8/7/15. It is a joint grave with her sister and possibly her parents. I have an old photograph but would like a more recent one. Her name is also on the local war memorial and I already have that but would happily take another to see if it is better quality.

Billinghay, Lincs - Nellie WILLSON, QAIMNS. Buried Billinghay (St. Michael) Church Cemetery. Died 16/10/18. I think that the grave is unmarked through removal of markers. I am taking views of the unmarked graves and if you propose making a visit for me it is likely that I can get the grave's exact position for you (hopefully) although the main CWGC memorial is at Coningsby. I also believe that Nellie is remembered on the Billinghay War Memorial and I need that, too.

Blyton, Lincs - Dorothy Lucy HOWELL, civilian nurse. Died 1918. I do not know where she is buried. I understand that whilst her name is not on the Blyton War Memorial her name is on a scroll inside the church.

Castleford - I may already have the grave but happy to take another. Polly Booth and Mary Gibson are two that I know about from Barnbow and buried in Castleford.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

I see (3 January) that you have 2 requests at Islington. I am researching someone else buried there and plan to make a visit soon. I do recall going there for you early last year (just one casualty at that time).

Judy

Hello Jim

I see (3 January) that you have 2 requests at Islington. I am researching someone else buried there and plan to make a visit soon. I do recall going there for you early last year (just one casualty at that time).

Judy

Hello Judy, I have a note from an obituary about Ellen Lucy FOYSTER that reads "Ellen’s name was to be inscribed in the entrance hall of the Great Northern Central Hospital, Islington. This was where she had trained to be a nurse and worked from the 18th November 1908 to the 31st March 1912".

Another recent find by one of my industrious helpers has found the grave of J.L. GRIFFITHS (Jane L. Griffiths, V.A.D.)as having been interred in Islington Cemetery on the 8th December 1919. Exact plot number not yet known but with an interrment date should be easily obtainable from the cemetery office. Finding her is almost an "in from the cold" moment as until recently she was just J.L. Griffiths, V.A.D. as recorded on the York Minster panels.

If in the cemetery office it is worth asking about Gertrude Barbara Gordon McKAY (Endell Strret Military Hospital nurse) who died on the 7th March 1919 at the London Fever Hospital, Islington and I guess would have been buried locally.

There is Amy K. MELVILLE, munition worker who died in the third quarter 1919 in Islington. If her grave can be found I would be interested to know what is recorded on her headstone.

Next there is Helen Paxton MORTON, auxiliary hospital worker, who died 23rd November 1915 (aged 31) and is known to be buried in Islington Cemetery.

So there are 5 requirements from Islington. My fellow sleuth who found evidence that two of these are in Islington Cemetery is presently immobile and has been unable to follow up.

Hello Jim, I plan to go to Islington early next week. I'll see what I can discover and will get back to you. Here's really hoping I have something positive to report

Judy

Hello Jim,

The two I found in Islington Cemetery are Jane L GRIFFITHS (communal grave) and Helen Paxton MORTON (private grave). I was able to find the locations (no headstone in either case). I could not find the other three mentioned in any of the Registers (Islington or St Pancras). I have to go back to Islington in aboout a month so can get better photos then. In the meantime I will send you the ones I took.

Judy

Hello Jim,

The two I found in Islington Cemetery are Jane L GRIFFITHS (communal grave) and Helen Paxton MORTON (private grave). I was able to find the locations (no headstone in either case). I could not find the other three mentioned in any of the Registers (Islington or St Pancras). I have to go back to Islington in aboout a month so can get better photos then. In the meantime I will send you the ones I took.

Judy

Thank you, Judy. Photographs safely received.

• Admin

I drew a total blank some time ago looking for your 2 Chippenham women in St Pauls churchyard. They aren't in the London Road Cemetery or anywhere else are they?

Michelle

I drew a total blank some time ago looking for your 2 Chippenham women in St Pauls churchyard. They aren't in the London Road Cemetery or anywhere else are they?

Michelle

Thank you, Michelle. One of them is A. Stevens, V.A.D. who died on the 30th November 1918 of influenza. Dave Adams found her in a photograph in the Chippenham Town Museum Collection. She was the husband of a partner in Gowen and Stevens, painters and decorators based in 3 New Road, Chippenham. Her name as A. Stevens is not on the York Minster panels and I suspect that she is there as Lilian Stevens (Mrs). This Lilian Stevens I believe to be the Lilian A. Stevens whose death was registered in the 4th quarter 1918 in Chippenham. This all ties up with Lilian's second name probably being the name that she was known by family and friends. She was aged 43. So Lilian and A. Stevens seem to be the same person but she is still illusive as to her final resting place.

Hi,

I have a headstone photograph of Nursing Member Elizabeth Thomason V.A.D Member - Died 30th Sept 1917 and is buried in Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery, France. If you would like a copy, PM me your email address.

Cheers

Hi,

I have a headstone photograph of Nursing Member Elizabeth Thomason V.A.D Member - Died 30th Sept 1917 and is buried in Longuenesse (St. Omer) Souvenir Cemetery, France. If you would like a copy, PM me your email address.

Cheers

Thank you (nzef) but this is one that I already have. My outstanding needs are listed in post #805 above.

FIFE, Dunfermline - Catherine Cook MILLER, QAIMNS, who is buried in plot ED.1694, Dunfermline Cemetery. She had died 24/12/18.

Hello Jim

An update for you.

I'm heading out walking with my friends on Sunday and will be doing a little detour into Dunfermline. I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Kenny

I am bringing to the top again as my photograph requirements are always in a state of flux. Eric Birbeck has kindly provided excellent photographs of the Haslar Memorial which was one of my main outstanding ones. My keenest one to get now is the Halifax Memorial, Canada showing the names of the females that I know are on there. But changes, both to London and other places means that if you are able to help then please look at my post #805 which is constantly updated.

Jim

Which is the one which you require in Naburn (Yorkshire) and the one in Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre.

Jim

Which is the one which you require in Naburn (Yorkshire) and the one in Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre.

Peter, I fear that you will be unable to help me with these two (but who knows?).

Joan Mary Georgina PALMES (Endell Street Military Hospital) died 24/2/19. I already have her name off the Naburn War Memorial. But I have since been led to believe from an obituary that she was buried in the churchyard of the Church of St. Matthew. I believe that the church has been dismantled in recent times, rebuilt and is now used as the private chapel to Naburn Hall. So if she is there it looks as if permission will need to be sought to seek her out. Actually this may not be difficult to obtain as these places often have secretaries or archivists.

A woman shown as "Unknown" on the Salta Memorial has been acknowledged as being Jane Roberts, QAIMNS. You kindly let me have a photograph but from it I cannot read if she is still shown as "unknown woman" or if the CWGC has actually put her name. I need a reasonable photograph showing her name. I appreciate that the memorial is not very photogenic !!

Hi Jim

Sorry to sort of hijack this thread, but did you get a message I sent you yesterday regarding Constance Annie Whittaker Dean? She was a nurse who died at Woburn Abbey War Hospital in December 1918, and I wondered if you already knew of her?

Regards

IanC