Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

And finally, the war memorial itself.

Jim,as I said,these are sized to fit the upload space available. If you want the larger originals, let me know how I can get them to you..

post-52243-1263757039.jpg

As my last wants list is two pages back here is an update. I have someone whittling away at London. Aled Jones is giving me immense help with the USA and this section is growing. Many UK counties are single requirements but I am surprised that Lancashire is thin on volunteers.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

AYRSHIRE, Crosshill

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover, Chesterfield

DEVONSHIRE, Weston-Super-Mare

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Isle of Moy

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bootle, Caton, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Islington, Tottenham (4), Willesden

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane, Perth (Wells Hill)

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SHROPSHIRE, Condover, Shrewsbury,Wrockwardine

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Leatherhead,

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, British Columbia (3), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainsville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Kenny, Thank you for posting these images of Inverary War Memorial. I should be grateful to receive the images on the largest pixel density that you have to jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk. (Entered like this here to try and deter web trawlers).

Turning now to other Pals on this forum I wonder if anyone has any answers to who Violet was. This is all that I have on her so far :-

She is named on the Inverary War Memorial as :- Sergt. Violet Ross W.A.A.C.

So far as I can tell the listing is all those that died from the area not those that just served. But Violet is not one commemorated by the CWGC.

There are other Ross's on the Inverary War Memorial who may have been related these being :-

Lieut. Colin Ross. A. & S.H.

Sergt. Alexander Munro Ross. A. & S.H.

and from WW2

Guardsman William K. Ross. Scots. Gds.

She has a MIC as 6007 Forewoman Violet Ross. Q.M.A.A.C.

This fits in with the Inverary WM name as Forewoman would be the equivalent of Sergeant and the WAAC superceded the QMAAC. Would some kind Pal with access to MICS have a look to see if it shows "deceased" and a date and possibly an address on the reverse. Remember not to post the image on this site, please.

Any further information gratefully received. It seems possible that I may need to pass on to the non-comm group this one !!

Kenny, Thank you for posting these images of Inverary War Memorial. I should be grateful to receive the images on the largest pixel density that you have to jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk. (Entered like this here to try and deter web trawlers).

Turning now to other Pals on this forum I wonder if anyone has any answers to who Violet was. This is all that I have on her so far :-

She is named on the Inverary War Memorial as :- Sergt. Violet Ross W.A.A.C.

So far as I can tell the listing is all those that died from the area not those that just served. But Violet is not one commemorated by the CWGC.

There are other Ross's on the Inverary War Memorial who may have been related these being :-

Lieut. Colin Ross. A. & S.H.

Sergt. Alexander Munro Ross. A. & S.H.

and from WW2

Guardsman William K. Ross. Scots. Gds.

She has a MIC as 6007 Forewoman Violet Ross. Q.M.A.A.C.

This fits in with the Inverary WM name as Forewoman would be the equivalent of Sergeant and the WAAC superceded the QMAAC. Would some kind Pal with access to MICS have a look to see if it shows "deceased" and a date and possibly an address on the reverse. Remember not to post the image on this site, please.

Any further information gratefully received. It seems possible that I may need to pass on to the non-comm group this one !!

Jim

Originals sent this evening.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

I've sent from another e-mail account tonight.

Hopefully you willget themthis time.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, safely received, now. Many thanks, Jim

Jim,

I've been away from the Forum for a while. I can help with East Lancashire; looking at your list Mellor and Clayton le Moors are not far away.

M

Jim,

I've been away from the Forum for a while. I can help with East Lancashire; looking at your list Mellor and Clayton le Moors are not far away.

M

Hello Matthew, I need a photograph of the headstones of :-

Mary Jannette ROBINS, QARNNS, died 4/11/18 and buried in Mellor (St. Mary) Churchyard; New ground. plot 25. 13

Margaret Alice BARON, VAD, died 22/10/18 and buried in Church And Clayton-le-Moors Joint Cemetery; plot E. CE. 107. Also her name inscribed on the local war memorial.

Ada WHITAKER, VAD, died (date unknown) and was from 8 Queen Street, Clayton le Moors. She is probably in the same cemetery. What I do know is that her name is also on the local war memorial and I need that too.

If you should stumble over M. Valentine, munition worker that would be a huge bonus. But I don't know which Clayton she came from or if she is buried in her home town. All I know is that she lived at 14 Chatham Street, Clayton (but it might be one of the Yorkshire Claytons).

Many thanks, Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Jim, I was wondering if it was possible to get a photo from you of this ladies headstone if you have it on your list,her name was Lena Harrington from Kinsale Co.Cork serving with Q.M.A.A.C with the rank of Forewoman.It would be much appreciated.

Brendan

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...asualty=4020194

Hello Brendan, Happy to, but let me get the permission from the person who got it for me first, Jim

Hello Jim,thanks for getting back to me so quick.That's perfectly understandable regarding the permission.Lena was the only local female casualty that I came across in my research for West Cork,if I come across anymore I will let you know,as far as I'm aware there are none buried locally here unless in family plots maybe but I could be wrong.

Brendan

A three to four hour drive on irish roads from here.Anything closer to home you may need?

Brendan

Thaes are the ones that I need in the South.

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

Hi Jim,if you contact Museumtom here on the forum he may be able to help you out,Tom has covered three counties in his War dead series of books(with more books in the pipeline) which contains a great deal of the photos of the war graves in each county.He also knows other authors here in Ireland that are covering other counties who may be able to help also.Tom has a new book ready for release covering Offaly and this may provide you with the photos you need from there.Limerick is the closest to me,around a two hour drive,if I'm heading that way anytime soon I'll let you know.

Kind regards

Brendan

Hi Jim

None of them are exactly close to home for me, but I do venture into foreign parts sometimes! Can I have the details for your outstanding names in the following counties:

Carmarthenshire

Derbyshire

Yorks

Lancs

I'll see what I can do. :)

Cheers

Mike

Hi Jim

None of them are exactly close to home for me, but I do venture into foreign parts sometimes! Can I have the details for your outstanding names in the following counties:

Carmarthenshire

Derbyshire

Yorks

Lancs

I'll see what I can do. :)

Cheers

Mike

These are my needs, Mike.

CARMARTHENSHIRE

Frances Ethel BRACE, QAIMNS - her name on the Carmarthen County War Memorial. Her name was also on a memorial plaque within Priory Street Hospital, Carmarthen, but the hospital is believed closed so I have no idea where the plaque is now.

Joan DAVIES - I know no more about her other than her name may be on the Llanybydder War Memorial

Mary EVANS - her name on the Carmarthen County War Memorial.

Emma Grace FLETCHER, BRCS - her name on the Carmarthen County War Memorial.

DERBYSHIRE

Ruth Mary NODDER, TFNS - Her name off the Ashover War Memorial, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Worth looking for a memorial in the church, too, as her father was rector there. I have quite a few other needs from Derbyshire but I don't know where they are buried. And one in in a Methodist Church in Derby, but again, I don't know which one.

YORKSHIRE

Lucy Hannah CASTLEDINE, civilian nurse - her name is on a Roll of Honour now in Stocksbridge Methodist Church.

Katie CHAPMAN, munition worker - buried in Woodhouse Cemetery (now known as St. George’s Fields); plot 5280 (edge plot abutting the wall next to Henry Price Student Flats). possibly no headstone as this was the case with many munition workers.

Vivien Isabelle KNAPTON, Women's Land Army - her name is on the United Methodist Church Memorial, Harrogate.

Joan Mary Georgina PALMES, Endell Street Military Hospital - believed to have been buried in the churchyard of the church of St. Matthew, Naburn. In recent times the church has been dismantled, rebuilt and now used as the private chapel to Naburn Hall. Many of the Palmes family are buried there.

I have listed Lancashire in the next posting for Glenn.

Jim,

i have Lucy Castledine, her brother Fred is also on it. Your more than welcome to it and do with it what you please, no credit required at all.

regards

Dean.

i might still have your e-mail so i'll have a go at sending it.

Hi Jim

I'll try rescue the name of Lancashire if you let me know what your looking for at Ainsdale Bootle and Walton for now I'll try my best

Regards

Glenn

Hello Glen, The Yorkshire folk are well ahead of those from Lancashire so here is your chance. I have listed all of my Lancashire and Greater Manchester needs but these include Ainsdale and Walton. Nothing required for Bolton.

Clementina ADDISON, French Flag Nursing Corps - buried St. Paul's churchyard, Caton.

Edith Ellen BARFORD, QMAAC - buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery; plot M. CE. 2367

Margaret Alice BARON, VAD - buried in Church And Clayton-le-Moors Joint Cemetery; plot E. CE. 107. Also her name is inscribed on the War Memorial, Mercer Park, Clayton-le-Moors. Also on the local St. John Ambulance Memorial now in the new ambulance drill hall. Also Ada WHITAKER is on the the Clayton-le-Moors Roll of Honour, the Greater Accrington Roll of Honour 1914-1919 and the War Memorial, Mercer Park, Clayton-le-Moors.

Stella Rose BOUE-BLANDY, QAIMNS - her name is on the Stockport War Memorial and the Ainsdale War Memorial.

Ann COOPER, QAIMNS - her name is on the Manchester Crematorium; Crematorium Panel.

Janet Lois GRIFFITHS, QAIMNS - there is a bronze plaque with her name on it which was originally in the Congregrational Church, Chapel Street, Southport and is now in West End United Church, Lord Street, West Southport.

Ellen Bella HAMER, QMAAC - buried at Pendlebury (St. Augustine Of Canterbury) Churchyard; plot 1128

Elsie HARTLEY, unknown - buried somewhere in Nelson Cemetery.

Florence JONES, nurse - buried in Crosby, St. Luke’s cemetery; plot B.431

Eliza KENNEDY, Mercantile Marine - buried in Liverpool; Walton (St. Mary’s) churchyard.

Hilda READ, VAD - buried in the little cemetery in Grindleton.

Eliza Jane REEVES, QMAAC - buried in Lancashire; Edenfield Churchyard; plot 290

Mary Jennette ROBINS, QARNNS - buried in Mellor (St. Mary) Churchyard; New ground. plot 25. 13

Frances Elizabeth SMITH, QAIMNS - buried in Manchester (Gorton) Cemetery; plot P. CE. 140

Marie Louise Marian STIEBEL, QMAAC - buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery; plot D. Diss. 1129

Hello Jim,thanks for getting back to me so quick.That's perfectly understandable regarding the permission.Lena was the only local female casualty that I came across in my research for West Cork,if I come across anymore I will let you know,as far as I'm aware there are none buried locally here unless in family plots maybe but I could be wrong.

Brendan

Hello Brendon, I now have permission to let you have the photograph. PM me with you email address and I will send it on, Regards, Jim

"Hello Jim, No problem to use my photos even in a book. I just ask to mention my name as source of this pictures. You can give him my mail if he wants others graves. Amicalement"

Jim,

i have Lucy Castledine, her brother Fred is also on it. Your more than welcome to it and do with it what you please, no credit required at all.

regards

Dean.

i might still have your e-mail so i'll have a go at sending it.

Safely received. Thank you. It is the Roll of Honour in Stocksbridge Methodist Church that I was really after but I can't have too many headstone photographs so that I can choose the best, Jim