Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Rob, That would be super and see another county finished. The ladies are as follows :-

COGGES

Lucy HARRIS, WRAF, died 1/11/18 and is buried in St. Mary's churchyard. Sorry, no grave reference but hopefully a small churchyard. If you get a problem I will get a plan from the CWGC.)

I know this is going back to 2005 (and the issue may have been resolved) but, as far as I can remember, Lucy Harris has no CWGC headstone.

Hello Stanley,

The nurses (and stewardesses) who died off the Leinster are being commemorated in my Register.

You are correct in that Lucy Harris does not have a CWGC headstone. But my Register does not just contain CWGC headstones. I am using photographs of the unmarked graves so that anyone who wishes to visit the graves can find them within the cemetery. I have visited Cogges and it is a pretty little churchyard. Lucy is a little way in on the left hand side and I believe without a grave marker at her father's request.

Jim

Not only does 23686 Lucy Harris not have a headstone - she is not on the war memorial either.

Ok, Limerick it is.

The ladies are Q.M.A.A.C.,

All lying in St.Lawrence Cemetery,

One Agnes and two Mary,

McMahon, Wallace and Daly,

I hope that you can snap all three.

Mary E. Daly, QMAAC, died 5/6/19. buried in St. Lawrence Catholic Cemetery, Limerick, plot 32851

Agnes McMahon, QMAAC, died 27/10/18. buried in St. Lawrence Catholic Cemetery, plot 32180

Mary Wallace, QMAAC, died 14/3/19. buried in St. Lawrence Catholic Cemetery, plot 32684

Hi again Jim,I finally made it to St.Lawrence's in Limerick last Sunday however sadly I drew a blank on all three ladies you required.The church which is located in the centre of the cemetery is no longer in use and all boarded up so there was no one there to ask for help.The three burials you are looking for are buried in non commemorated graves which I couldn't locate.Possibly when I have more time at a later stage I will try again.If anyone should require any photo of the commemorated graves from this cemetery please get in touch.

Brendan

Thanks to the magnificent efforts of the Scottish contingent I seem to have only seven more locations left to go in Scotland. So I am bringing to the top again in the hope that with holidays looming more photographs can be obtained.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover,

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston)

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Daviot

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down (Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bootle, Caton, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Edenfield, Greater Accrington, Manchester (6 + Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Edmonton (2), Islington, Tottenham (4), Willesden

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SHROPSHIRE, Condover, Shrewsbury,Wrockwardine

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Leatherhead, Thames Ditton

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, British Columbia (3), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Jim

What do you need at Inveresk?

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny, I need :-

M.E.J. Constable, QMAAC. died 17th December 1918. buried in plot C. 12 North. Inveresk Parish Churchyard.

Regards, Jim

Hello Kenny, I need :-

M.E.J. Constable, QMAAC. died 17th December 1918. buried in plot C. 12 North. Inveresk Parish Churchyard.

Regards, Jim

MEJ Constable on its way.

Kenny

post-52243-1275247709.jpg

Hi Jim

I will be in the UK on holiday in August, my travels will take me to Harrogate, Emberton and I 'll be staying in London, if you give me the details I will see what I can do, needless to say no promises as wife and five year old will be on the trip as well!

I live just north of Dublin, so give me the ones for there and I think Louth might just be in reach so add those as well and will see what I can do over the summer.

Regards

Ian C

Hi Jim

I will be in the UK on holiday in August, my travels will take me to Harrogate, Emberton and I 'll be staying in London, if you give me the details I will see what I can do, needless to say no promises as wife and five year old will be on the trip as well!

I live just north of Dublin, so give me the ones for there and I think Louth might just be in reach so add those as well and will see what I can do over the summer.

Regards

Ian C

Ian, thank you for the offer.

HARROGATE - this one is a lost cause as several people have tried and failed. Vivien Isabelle KNAPTON,. Women's Land Army is on the United Methodist Church Memorial but no-one has yet been able to find it.

EMBERTON, Buckinghamshire - In Emberton church there is a brass plaque to Nelli Decima BROWN. That is what I need and perhaps checking out the local war memorial for her.

LONDON, Camberwell - another lost cause. Annie Ruff, QMAAC died at Camberwell but her grave has not yet been found.

Edmonton - another lost cause. Elizabeth Blanche, munition worker died but grave not yet found. Same with Josephine Gertrude GOATLEY and Alice RODWAY, munition workers. Another is Elizabeth MARCHI who made uniforms and died of overwork. And yet another is Minnie YERBURY, a nurse at North Middlesex Hospital, Edmonton whose grave is lost.

Islington - Ellen Lucy FOYSTER, QAIMNS has her name on a plaque at the entrance to the Great Northern Central Hospital, Islington (at least, this is what it was called at the time).

Tottenham and Wood Green - Annie Edith Curtis GARNER is in plot C.5759, Tottenham and Wood Green Cemetery. A lost cause is E. Macey, munition worker from Tottenham. Catherine Meikle, QAIMNS, is in plot 7301, second ground, Tottenham and Wood Green Cemetery but likely to be unmarked as she is on the screen wall there. Margaret Evans THOMAS, QAIMNS, is also in this cemetery but her grave has yet to be discovered.

Willesden - a lost cause. Dorothy Maud Mary CROWTHER is buried in the New Cemetery, Willesden but her grave has yet to be found.

DUBLIN - I need a photograph of the memorial tablet in Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin which commemorated Irish nurses that died in the Great War. I believe that access is difficult and likely to be by appointment only. A lost cause is Josephine Mary CRILLY, VAD, whose grave is lost. Also Eleanor King, VAD and Iza Mahony, VAD. Dublin newspapers of the day may reveal them.

LOUTH - Kathleen CARROLL, QMAAC (died 19/7/18) is buried in Louth Old Graveyard on the site of the old monastary.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim,

Have you any from my neck of the woods, or any still to get?

I'm in Angus, Scotland.

Cheers,

Derek.

Hello Stanley,

The nurses (and stewardesses) who died off the Leinster are being commemorated in my Register.

You are correct in that Lucy Harris does not have a CWGC headstone. But my Register does not just contain CWGC headstones. I am using photographs of the unmarked graves so that anyone who wishes to visit the graves can find them within the cemetery. I have visited Cogges and it is a pretty little churchyard. Lucy is a little way in on the left hand side and I believe without a grave marker at her father's request.

Jim

While I'm sure that Lucy's father had his reasons, what a sad thing to do. For the vast majority of the public, a headstone is the only evidence to be seen of someones existence and passing. For me, an hour or two whiled away on a summers afternoon, perusing the memorials in a quiet country graveyard and remembering those who have gone before us, is a unique pleasure and privilege.

I congratulate you Jim on your initiative. Well done. :)

PS I sometimes drive from Calais to either Paris or further West on a much longer journey southwards to near Tarbes in Gascony, so if there is anything in that northern geography that you require just ask.

Paul

Hi Jim,

Did you mean Bidston in cheshire not Bidstone? there could be a Bidstone for all i no?

Ive just come across this photo (attached) i cant see a Annie Elinor Buckler, but there is a Major Maude Millicent Wilson on the memorial.

Russ

Russ, I just wondered if Annie Buckler may have been on the Bidston War Memorial as she was born there and her father was at one time rector there. You have been able to confirm that she was not on there for which I thank you.

Paul, I have my updated list below. You feel able to get some west France and I do have at least one in that neck of the woods. Edith NATRESS, QMAAC is buried in Bourges (St. Lazare) cemetery, Cher. Bessie GALE, YMCA, was buried in grave 29, section A, AEF Cemetery 25, Talence, Gironde. This was an American lady and I cannot be sure that she is still there as many US casualties were removed to one of the main US cemeteries in France or repatriated to the USA. But for the moment this is all that I have. Virginia Luella BRANUM. YMCA, was buried in Lamalou Cemetery, Lamalou les Bains but like Bessie Gale her remains may have been removed. Mde LEVETEZ, a French civilian is buried in a family plot in Pys Communal Cemetery. Estaires (two French civilians) and Le Havre (awaiting an update to the Le Havre Memorial) are north and east of the area that you have mentioned.

Derek, Eleanor MARTIN, QMAAC is buried in Farnell Parish Churchyard; Six feet from South wall of church. Fred Carss kindly obtained photographs of her grave but I have since found out that she is on the local war memorial. So I need a photograph of her name on the memorial and whilst there no harm in getting more pics of her grave headstones (yes, more than one) so that I have a choice of using the best. Her name just may be on a memorial or Roll of Honour within the church, too.

Here is my updated list :-

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover,

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne, Wyke Regis

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston)

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Daviot

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down x 2 (Newry and Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Greater Accrington, Manchester (6 + Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Edmonton (2), Islington, Kensal Green, Norwood, Tottenham (4), Willesden

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton)

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

OXFORDSHIRE, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Louth, Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Jim she still could be, im not 100% on that, i found that image on the net, there could well be more names on the opposite side? hard to tell from the photo, so wouldn't rule it out just yet, you could still be right.

Russ

I have some pics from a few years ago when I was there last.

The are posted at "The Scottish War Graves Website" and its sister site "The Scottish War Memorials Project".

EMartin.jpgFarnell.jpg

If you want higher resolution pics, or additional ones of the War memorial and grave just pm me your e-mail address.

Have you info on Helena S. Bennet who is buried in Arbroath, Angus? I have a picture of her grave and she is listed on the High school and towns war memorials.

Ta'

Derek.

Derek, Thank you. The image on the right seems to be the Farnell War Memorial that I am after. I have the Arbroath War Memorialk but do you have the Arbroath High School Roll of Honour photograph? Jim

Jim,

What are the details of your wants for Greater Accrington and Manchester (not Stretford)? I'm not far away, depending on their locations. Let me know.

Paul.

Is there something needed from Stretford? im from Stretford and could sort that out this week if required

Russ

Jim,

What are the details of your wants for Greater Accrington and Manchester (not Stretford)? I'm not far away, depending on their locations. Let me know.

Paul.

Paul, I have a note that Margaret Alice Baron, VAD, and Ada Whittaker, VAD are recorded on the Greater Accrington Roll of Honour. I assume that this is a war memorial. They are both on the War Memorial, Mercer Park, Clayton-le-Moors so maybe that is it.

These are my Manchester wants :-

Edith Ellen Barford, QMAAC, buried in plot M. C.E. 2367 Manchester Southern Cemetery.

Anne Cooper, QAIMNS. Her name is on the crematorium panel at Manchester Crematorium.

Lydia William Falconar Grant, Australian Red Cross is buried in Manchester Southern Cemetery. I do not have her plot but she died 1st April 1917 so will be easy enough to find in the cemetery records.

Frances Elizabeth Smith, QAIMNS, buried in plot P. CE. 140, Manchester (Gorton) Cemetery.

Marie Louise Marian Stiebel, QMAAC, buried in plot D. Diss. 1129, Manchester Southern Cemetery.

Eugenie Cazier Hosier, YMCA, was buried in plot 621, section R, CE, Manchester Southern Cemetery. She was an American citizen and many from this cemetery was repatriated to the US so she may no longer be there.

I know the Southern Cemetery to be large but any that you are able to obtain I shall be most grateful, Jim

Is there something needed from Stretford? im from Stretford and could sort that out this week if required

Russ

Hello Russ, My needs from Stretford.

Lydia William Falconar Grant, Australia Red Cross. Her name is on the memorial board at the Territorial Army Centre, Stretford.

Jim

Well gang, If you don't ask you don't get. I am preparing a register of women who died during or soon after WW1 for eventual publication at my expense. I have virtually all of the names but very few illustrations. If I cannot get a photograph of the lady I am trying to get a copy of her grave headstone or name on the town/village memorial. Their graves are scattered throughout the UK and for that matter the world. I live in Devon and have photographs for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. I also have Malta covered and various other pockets of the UK where I have visited. But with around 1600 names ANY help would be gratefully received. This is where you come in. If you are prepared to take photographs of these ladies headstones in your locality or holiday destination I should be very pleased to receive them. Just drop me a line at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk and tell me the area which you can cover I will reply with the town/village and plot locations. I will of course acknowledge the help given against the photograph in the register. For those willing to become involved my grateful thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you. Jim Strawbridge, Devon.

There are some 50-70 graves of victims of the Leinster in the military cemetary at Blackhorse avenue in Dublin. I do not recall any women but it is quite close to me and should there be anything specific you need please let me know.

This cemetary containes the remains of many soldiers who died in Ireland 1916-1921 including thoise reinterred from Cork and one reinterred from Dublin castle (Lt Lucas) having being shot in Guinness brewery by a seregnt of the Dublin Fusiliers

Who do you need from Thanington, Jim?

John

Victoria Florence WHIDDETT, munition worker, died in 1917 and was buried in Thanington churchyard. Someone kindly looked for the grave before but without success. But she has to be there and I would like a confirmation before I put her grave down as unmarked.

There are some 50-70 graves of victims of the Leinster in the military cemetary at Blackhorse avenue in Dublin. I do not recall any women but it is quite close to me and should there be anything specific you need please let me know.

This cemetary containes the remains of many soldiers who died in Ireland 1916-1921 including thoise reinterred from Cork and one reinterred from Dublin castle (Lt Lucas) having being shot in Guinness brewery by a seregnt of the Dublin Fusiliers

Thank you for the offer. People of Dublin have been very helpful with my project and other than one instance all of my Dublin requirements have been obtained. At least, until a new one pops up. My only shortfall is the memorial tablet commemorating Irish nurses who gave their lives in the Great War and which is in the Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin. I think that this may be on a military base and access likely by appointment with the padre. This is a major memorial that I need. But all the graves are covered (so to speak).