Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hello

Florence Hogg (VAD). Horsforth Cemetery. I took this some months ago when looking for relatives buried in the Calverley area (beautiful war memorial in Horsforth and Calverley). I have had a quick look but can't find anything on these pages. I hope the photo is of some use. Al.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_detail...6035&mode=1

post-49438-1252791768.jpg

Hello Al, This is one that I previously had but I can't get enough of them so that I can choose the best. Out of interest this one was originally an unmarked grave only receiving a CWGC headstone in 2007.

post 559 Hi Jim , you said you didn't have any on the Wirral but Liscard is on the Wirral (was Cheshire) and still seems to be outstanding. If you let me know who you want and where in Liscard it is I will see what I can do. Liscard is only about 20 minutes from where I live

Judith

Hello Judith, I am told that the name of Jane Ellen Howdle, Mercantile Marine is on the Liscard War Memorial. It is a photograph of her name on the memorial that I am after. Thank you for the offer, Kind regards, Jim

Hello Al, This is one that I previously had but I can't get enough of them so that I can choose the best. Out of interest this one was originally an unmarked grave only receiving a CWGC headstone in 2007.

Hello Jim

Thanks for the extra information. Very interesting. I don't have a photo of the war memorial, but I did notice at the time that there was also a 'T Hogg' listed on one of the panels. If it is a relation, and you don't already have the information, I will make an effort to chase it up.

Alan

Hi Jim tried to e mail you but your box is full. Website called carl's cam says Liscard does not have names on it, all names are on boards in Wallasey Hospital but they are men only. I have a friend who lives in Liscard I will ask her if she knows any others where Howdle may be listed. I note that Annie Roberts is buried in Flaybrick and Florence Benoy in Rake Lane, do you have these as I could see if I can find them as they are not too far from me

Judith

Hi Jim tried to e mail you but your box is full. Website called carl's cam says Liscard does not have names on it, all names are on boards in Wallasey Hospital but they are men only. I have a friend who lives in Liscard I will ask her if she knows any others where Howdle may be listed. I note that Annie Roberts is buried in Flaybrick and Florence Benoy in Rake Lane, do you have these as I could see if I can find them as they are not too far from me

Judith

Oh Dear. Someone told me that it was there. In that case likely to be another war memorial nearby that someone thought was Liscard. I'll take it off my wants list. Regards, Jim

ps I have headstone photographs of Roberts and Benoy but the offer is appreciated.

Hello Jim

Thanks for the extra information. Very interesting. I don't have a photo of the war memorial, but I did notice at the time that there was also a 'T Hogg' listed on one of the panels. If it is a relation, and you don't already have the information, I will make an effort to chase it up.

Alan

That one is the son of Mary Ann Hogg and Joseph Hogg of 6 Poplar View, Long Row, Horsforth. Mine is the daughter of Albert Hogg and Sarah Hogg. My guess is that it is likely to be a cousin.

That one is the son of Mary Ann Hogg and Joseph Hogg of 6 Poplar View, Long Row, Horsforth. Mine is the daughter of Albert Hogg and Sarah Hogg. My guess is that it is likely to be a cousin.

Thanks for the clarification Jim

Al

Jim,

Do you have Jennie Williams VAD, remembered at Llanberis, North Wales?

Neil

Yes, I have both her headstone and her name on the Llanberis War Memorial. A nice touch with the headstone is that the inscription is in Welsh. “Hyn a Allodd hon hi a’i Gwynaeth. St. Mark 14.8” which I believe translates as “She has done what she could”.

• 1 month later...

Kind members of this forum have produced quite a few more requirements and in particular Kent and Essex are now complete unless new ones pop up. Thank you, also, to Sandra Taylor and her husband for making a detour on their holidays to complete the American Cemeteries in France. So here is the updated needs.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Inverary, Kilbride

AYRSHIRE, Crosshill

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton, (Langley deleted).

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CLACKMANNANSHIRE, Dollar, Tillicoultry

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover, Chesterfield

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Isle of Moy

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Chatham (in preparation), Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bootle, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton Green, Camberwell (2), Denmark Hill, Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Golder's Green, Heston, Highgate, Islington, Tottenham (4),

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NAIRNSHIRE, Nairn

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

PERTHSHIRE, Perth (Wells Hill)

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SHROPSHIRE, Condover, Shrewsbury,Wrockwardine

SURREY, Fulham, Leatherhead,

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Normanton, Stocksbridge, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, British Columbia (3), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Lamalou, Le Havre

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder), Connecticut (East Hartford), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (San Antonio)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Where in British Columbia? I live in Vancouver. I can oblige if in my region.

QUOTE (CGM @ Aug 24 2009, 06:41 PM)

Hello Jim,

I think you need four in Tottenham cemetery? I will be going there in October if no-one is able to do them first.

Regards

CGM

END QUOTE from #567

Hello Jim,

I'm going to Tottenham in the next couple of weeks. (I should be able to search the records while I am there.)

Regards

CGM

Hi Jim

I thought that Langley, Bucks was completed. Please let me know if you need another one.

Best wishes, Pam.

Hello Pam, Poor house-keeping on my part. You did, indeed, polish off my Langley needs. Jim

Where in British Columbia? I live in Vancouver. I can oblige if in my region.

Hello Connor, My requirements in British Columbia are threefold. There is a memorial (attached to the band-stand) in Langford Veteran’s Park, British Columbia. On it will be the names of Jane Johnstone, Eliza Kennedy and Mary Elizabeth Oliphant (all of the Mercantile Marine). I also need a photograph of the memorial in St.Pauls Anglican Church, Esquimalt, British Colombia in memory of Gladys Mary Maude Wake. Lastly, a photograph of Mount Wake which is named after her as part of the Canadian Lands and Parks programme where unnamed geographical features could be named after Canadians who gave their lives during war. Regards, Jim

QUOTE (CGM @ Aug 24 2009, 06:41 PM)

Hello Jim,

I think you need four in Tottenham cemetery? I will be going there in October if no-one is able to do them first.

Regards

CGM

END QUOTE from #567

Hello Jim,

I'm going to Tottenham in the next couple of weeks. (I should be able to search the records while I am there.)

Regards

CGM

Hello CGM, I am coming to you direct with my Tottenham requirements. Regards, Jim

Hi Jim, Thought I would let you know that there is apparently a grave of a woman killed in WW1 located in the churchyard at Walthamstowe (church next to the Rising Sun pub). I'm sorry I don't know what her name is or any other details. Maybe you are already aware of her. If not maybe someone on the forum might be able to shed more light on it.

Also I planning to be passing through Sudbury in the next couple of days and will take a shot of the plaque relating to the airship bombing and the woman killed.

Jim

You have Haslar on your list. I can deal with that, but not until mid November.

Keith

Jim

What have you got in Wrockwardine Shropshire, thats less than 10 minutes from my house.

Stephen

Hi Jim, Thought I would let you know that there is apparently a grave of a woman killed in WW1 located in the churchyard at Walthamstowe (church next to the Rising Sun pub). I'm sorry I don't know what her name is or any other details. Maybe you are already aware of her. If not maybe someone on the forum might be able to shed more light on it.

Also I planning to be passing through Sudbury in the next couple of days and will take a shot of the plaque relating to the airship bombing and the woman killed.

Thank you, Icenitribe. The woman that you refer to is almost certainly Grace Zenobia Collins, WRAF who is buried in St. Peter in the Forest Churchyard, Walthamstowe. She died 5 days before the armistice aged 19. I look forward with enthusiasm to the photograph of the plaque at Sudbury. Jim

Jim

You have Haslar on your list. I can deal with that, but not until mid November.

Keith

Thank you Keith. My requirement is the tablet affixed to the east wall of the porchway facing the main entrance to the Royal Naval Hospital, Haslar the names thereon commemorating the naval medical and nursing services who were killed and died during WW1. I hope that it is still there. Jim

Jim

What have you got in Wrockwardine Shropshire, thats less than 10 minutes from my house.

Stephen

Hello Stephen (old friend), Thank you for the offer. I have an anomoly with a woman called Edith Mary Leake. No reference to her in the normal sources except the census. But her name is on the war memorial at Wrockwardine and I have photographs of her name on it (always happy to have another one, by the way). But I have since found out that on the nave window in Wrockwardine church there is a tribute to her for giving her life nursing soldiers with influenza during 1918. It is this that I am after, Regards, Jim