Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

If you still need one from Iran

Tehran War cemetery & Tehran Memorial are in the grounds of the British Embassy and they will supply a photo upon request.

Jim

If you still need one from Iran

Tehran War cemetery & Tehran Memorial are in the grounds of the British Embassy and they will supply a photo upon request.

Well, I never knew that. I will give them a try. Thank you.

Thank you. I have a few other bits needed on Anglesey so please let me know before you go. Jim

Sorry for any confusion, new to this, dim but willing.

Can try to do Anglesey,Holyhead, Bangor, Llanberis if details are forthcoming.

Best regards

Sorry for any confusion, new to this, dim but willing.

Can try to do Anglesey,Holyhead, Bangor, Llanberis if details are forthcoming.

Best regards

JulesW, I am impressed that your very first posting on this Forum is to offer me help. So here we go.

Jane Ellen HOWDLE, Mercantile Marine, died 7/5/15. I require a photograph of her name on the Bennlech War Memorial.

Hannah OWEN, Mercantile Marine, died 10/10/18. I require a photograph of her grave headstone in Holyhead (Maeshyfryd) Burial Board Cemetery; plot B. 890.

Annie ROBERTS, WRAF, died 12/11/18. I require a photograph of her grave headstone in Holyhead (Maeshyfryd) Burial Board Cemetery; plot 2. 939.

Margaret WILLIAMS, civilian, died 3/11/16. I require a photograph of her name on the Holyhead War Memorial (and any other WW1 women that you find there. Certainly Hannah Owen, Annie Roberts and Louisa Parry are three more).

So far as Bangor is concerned I am hopeful that the Bangor Civic Society will help me there and with Llanberis, Hywyn has provided me with my requirements from there.

Good luck, Jim

Good evening Jim,

Wakefield Council are marking the 2 plots out at Castleford for me this week, I now have the guys phone number in case I can't find them at Pontefract.

So out again on Saturday, I wish some of the other councils where as obliging.

Cheers Roger.

Jim

Living in Holyhead I should have offered to do these four women ages ago, however if you've already made firm arrangements with others I'll step aside.

Aled

Good evening Jim,

Wakefield Council are marking the 2 plots out at Castleford for me this week, I now have the guys phone number in case I can't find them at Pontefract.

So out again on Saturday, I wish some of the other councils where as obliging.

Cheers Roger.

Good Luck Roger !

JulesW, I am impressed that your very first posting on this Forum is to offer me help. So here we go.

Jane Ellen HOWDLE, Mercantile Marine, died 7/5/15. I require a photograph of her name on the Bennlech War Memorial.

Hannah OWEN, Mercantile Marine, died 10/10/18. I require a photograph of her grave headstone in Holyhead (Maeshyfryd) Burial Board Cemetery; plot B. 890.

Annie ROBERTS, WRAF, died 12/11/18. I require a photograph of her grave headstone in Holyhead (Maeshyfryd) Burial Board Cemetery; plot 2. 939.

Margaret WILLIAMS, civilian, died 3/11/16. I require a photograph of her name on the Holyhead War Memorial (and any other WW1 women that you find there. Certainly Hannah Owen, Annie Roberts and Louisa Parry are three more).

So far as Bangor is concerned I am hopeful that the Bangor Civic Society will help me there and with Llanberis, Hywyn has provided me with my requirements from there.

Good luck, Jim

Thanks for the compliment, should complete Bank Holiday weekend.

Regards Jules

Jim,

This memorial is situated within St Anne's Cathedral in Belfast and may be of interest to you

Inscribed:-

"To the Honour and Glory of God

and in memory of the undermentioned Sisters

and Staff Nurses of

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service

and

Territorial Force Nursing Service

who gave their lives during the War of 1914 - 1919

(
On left pane)
QAIMNS
(On right pane)
QAIMNS RES
Elsie Kelly Donaldson Parker, Staff Nurse
Emily Gray, Staff Nurse
QAIMNS RES
Moyra O'Brien, -"-
Martha Farley, Matron
Elizabeth Grace Stewart, -"-
Mary Agnes Doherty, Sister
Mary Alice Walshe, -"-
Margaret Elliffe, -"-
Elizabeth Wallace, -"-
Margaret Hessie Johnston, -"-
Elizabeth Harvey Watson, -"-
Rosa McGibbon, -"-
Kathleen Bolger, Staff Nurse
T.F.N.S
Eileen Mary O'Gorman, Sister
Rachel Ferguson, -"-
Annie Cox, Staff Nurse
Hilda Garlick, "

post-43613-1238712416.jpg

Thank you, Adrian. I actually have several re St. Annes contributed to me. Nearly all of the multiple named memorial I have with the notable exception of the Halifax Memorial (I have someone on the case but not yet received). The higher reaches of the Tower Hill Memorial where the photographing of the names is difficult is another. A memorial at Haslar is another. And lastly no-one seems to be going to the US cemeteries in France. I have Meuse-Argonne and St. Mihiel but the others are still calling.

Hello again,

I have obtained photos from the Anglesey list.

How do i get them to you?

Hello Jules, Oh' how I dislike putting my email on open Forum. Not that I have a problem with Forum members. It is the dreaded web crawlers that will pick it up and my spam will increase considerably. I have never understood why a new Forum member does not have the messaging service set up from "day 1" instead of after so many postings. Anyway, I have had my grouse and by sustituting the @ sign I hope that you make sense of it. Regards, Jim

jimstrawbridge-at-coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

Hello,

Could someone, with enough tapes, PM/'phone jimstrawbridge to check if he received an e-mail from me titled "testing, testing".

Ta

Jules

Jim,

Have visited Carnmoney Main Cemetery re Lily HAMILTON, VAD, died 28/11/18 and buried in plot G.92, Carnmoney Cemetery, Co. Antrim.

Unfortunately could not locate the above. No obvious Headstone. Have emailed local Council to obtain map if possible as area is not numbered.

Do you still need following Clara CROZIER, QMAAC died 17/11/18 and buried on the west boundary, Newry Reform Presbyterian Cemetery, Co. Down. I see a previous post from Pietro re same. I can visit if required?

Also any further info re

Norah DUGAN, VAD. Known to be buried in Coleraine, Londonderry, but exact grave location not yet found.

Regards

Adrian

Jim,

I was in St.Asaph Cathedral, Denbighshire today for a service and spotted a wall plaque in memory of the Welsh nurses (QAIMNS, TFNS etc) who died in the Great War (named).

Alas I didn't have a camera with me, but as I may go there again shortly do you need a picture of this memorial?

LST_164

JulesW

Your test email did not work. Please have another go.

ADRIAN58

Good luck with Lily Hamilton. She is in there. In plot G92. What I normally do is to look at the cemetery on the CWGC website for other casualties buried in and around G92. We have R. Bustard in G132 and A.A. Moffett in plot G161. Both probably have CWGC headstones whilst Lily's may have a private one. So in theory walking the other way should find Lily. I have to say, though, that this may not work in this cemetery. A photographer found another of my ladies in this cemetery Maude Elizabeth Twaddell, QMAAC who was supposed to be buried in plot H.119. She couldn't be found and eventually the CWGC had to change the plot number to G95. In theory three graves away from Lily. Maudes is a simple grave marker with her surname and the inscription “He giveth His beloved sleep”. Remember that Lily will not have a CWGC headstone as she was not elligible. I am not sure if any of this helps but I hope so.

I still need Clara Crozier, QMAAC in Newry Reform Presbyterian Cemetery; Near West boundary. Hers is a 2’6” white marble headstone now recumbent on the grave space.

Nora Dugan, VAD. I have Bob Dennis on the case. He has found out that she was actually buried in Articlave rather than Coleraine.

LST_164

Thank you for thinking of me but I already have the St. Asalph memorial.

Good Luck Roger !

Hi there Peter, I got them on the 9/4/2009, just a week late and also found the one at Normanton and they have all been passed onto Jim.

Cheers Roger.

Yep, Roger, safely received at this end with grateful thanks.

Peter, I have also received photographs from Tehran via the British Embassy so that's another one ticked off my list. It included a cemetery gardener feeding cheese to a sheep which was a bonus !!! It made me wonder if they used sheep to keep the grass down.

Jules, I have emailed you direct. If/when it comes through I suggest that you go back and edit your email address out in the note above to stop the web crawlers attacking you with spam.

Hi there Jim,

There was a vicar up in Morley nr Leeds about 10 years ago that kept sheep for that reason so yes it is possibly true.

Cheers Roger.

Hi

I have a couple of photos of the family gravestone for

Florence Gwendolin Howard, Staff Nurse, Territorial Nursing Service, 18th November 1914. Glyntaff Cemetery, Pontypridd Plot J.2.

Please let me know if you would like them

TimB

Hi

I have a couple of photos of the family gravestone for

Florence Gwendolin Howard, Staff Nurse, Territorial Nursing Service, 18th November 1914. Glyntaff Cemetery, Pontypridd Plot J.2.

Please let me know if you would like them

TimB

Hello Tim, This is one that I still need so, yes, I should be most pleased to receive them.

Thank you, Tim. Pontypridd not completed. I still have five more requirements in Glamorganshire if anyone is available.

Thank you, Tim. Pontypridd not completed. I still have five more requirements in Glamorganshire if anyone is available.

Hi Jim

Let me know where they are and I'll do my best.

Nurse Nora(h) DUGGAN, of Barmouth, Castlerock, near Coleraine, Northern Ireland

Jim,

As a result of the entry which I found in the Londonderry Sentinel, today I visited St. Pauls Church of Ireland, Articlave, Castlerock, and 1st Dunboe Presbyterian, Articlave, Castlerock but could find no trace of Nora or her father Matthew. There are headstones for the name DUGAN but nothing with the names Nora or Matthew.

I spoke to some local people and they suggested Castlerock Presbyterian burying ground near Mussenden Temple just outside Castlerock but I could find no trace of any DUGAN's there. Unless someone can come up with any more ideas, we may have to give up on Nora which will be a shame.

Bob DENNIS

PS I am off to Finner Cemetery tomorrow re Sheila DUNNE.

PPS As an aside, at Castlerock Presbyterian burying ground, I found the family plot for the GREER - McGREGOR family and remembered on a headstone is Lieut. James Kenneth McGregor GREER, 1st Batt. Irish Guards who died October 3rd 1916 from wounds received in a Guards advance on the Somme on September 15th 1916. I took some photos of the headstone so if anyone wants copies, please e-mail me.

Thank you Jules for completing my Anglesey requirements. There have been quite a few changes recently so here is my updated list.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Inverary, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Langley, Penn

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CARNARVONSHIRE, Llanberis

CHESHIRE, Liscard

CLACKMANNANSHIRE, Dollar, Tillicoultry

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Isle of Moy

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Teynham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Denmark Hill, Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Golder's Green, Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Tower Hill

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NAIRNSHIRE, Nairn

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PERTHSHIRE, Perth (Wells Hill)

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

SUFFOLK, Freston, Southwold

SURREY, Fulham, Leatherhead, Woking

WESTMORELAND, Workington,

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Normanton, Stocksbridge, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Lamalou, Le Havre, Oise-Aisne, Pys,

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Leix, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder), Connecticut (East Hartford), Harvard, Illinois (Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Mississippi (Delta City), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Fredonia), Ohio (Attica, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (San Antonio)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone