Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim,

I could get to Stonehaven for you. Who do you need and where?

Kevin

I appreciate the offer. Not the easiest of quests. Helen Milne, QAIMNS, is buried in India. Her name is on the Stonehaven War Memorial. I have a photograph of that. But a source has told me that there is a memorial to her, perhaps as a remembrance on her father's headstone, in Stonehaven cemetery.

Jim,

I will be visiting Festiniog and probably Dolgelley later in the year, who do you need?

Roy

Jim,

I will be visiting Festiniog and probably Dolgelley later in the year, who do you need?

Roy

Thank you for the offer, Roy. Here are my needs :-

Jean ROBERTS, QMAAC. died 5/1/18, buried Festiniog (Bethesda) Cemetery; plot E. 371 (poor girl, aged only 18)

Mary Elizabeth SMITH, QMAAC, died 21/8/18, buried Dolgelley (St. Mary) Churchyard Extension; In North-West part

My email address is jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

Jim,

A local historian, Mr Colin Milne, who has catalogued many graveyards in the Aberdeen area was able to supply the phograph you wanted of the private memorial to Nurse Milne of Stonehaven. As you suspected, there is a family monument in Fetteresso New Cemetery, Stonehaven and Nurse Milne is commemorated there. I'll send on the picture once I get to my own computer.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I have now reached the stage where I can actually list my photographis needs and these are below. Please contact me if you feel that you can help. The photographs are for a Register of all serving female casualties of WW1 which I hope to publish sometime after the release of the 1911 census (around 2013, I would guess). I am also expecting that I shall be financially contributing to it's production and I am certainly not looking for a profit. It is just my way of remembering these women, many of whom will not be remembered elsewhere.

United Kingdom

ANGLESEY, Holyhead (4)

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Inverary, Kilbride

BEDFORDSHIRE, Luton (2)

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Langley, Penn

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Langadock

CHESHIRE, Ammanford, Holylake (2), West Kirby

CLACKMANNANSHIRE, Dollar, Tillicoultry

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Auckland, Hartlepool, Hetton

DYFED, Abergwili

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Gellygaer, Llandough, Ponyclun, Pontypridd

GWENT, Pontypool

GWYNEDD, Bangor

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

HERTFORDSHIRE, Langleybury

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (2), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Canterbury (2), Ramsgate

LANARKSHIRE, Airdrie, Gartcosh

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Great Crosby, Greater Accrington, Liverpool, Lytham, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Southport

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Grantham

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Elmer’s End, Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (3), Tower Hill

MERIONETHSHIRE, Dolgelley (2), Festiniog

MIDLOTHIAN, Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

PERTHSHIRE, Comrie, Crieff

SUFFOLK, Southwold

SURREY, Fulham, Leatherhead

WESTMORELAND, Workington,

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Castleford, Harrogate, Normanton, Pontifract, Whitby, Woodhouse

WORLD

AUSTRALIA, Perth, Victoria (2)

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Le Havre, Pys

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAN, Tehran

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Galway, Co. Leix, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Dublin (5), Louth

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

RUSSIA, Archangel

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TANZANIA, Dodoma (2)

U.S.A. Harvard

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Hi Jim,

Have you a list for Northern Ireland? - probably Co. Down would be better for me. It depends on my job pressures though!

Peter

What is wanted for Liverpool? May be possible. [Glad to know others agree we are still in Lancs].

Daggers

PIETRO

I am looking for a photograph of the headstone of :-

CLARA CROZIER, QMAAC, died 17/11/18 and buried near west boundary, Newry Reform Presbyterian Cemetery

DAGGERS

I need a photograph of the memorial in the Lady Chapel of Liverpool Cathedral (20 names on it). I have someone else also on the case.

Also the headstone of DOROTHY HAWTHORNTHWAITE (nurse) who died 4/10/18 and is buried in St. Luke's Cemetery, Great Crosby (plot unknown to me)

Also that of MAY WYLIE, QMAAC, died 9/7/18 and is buried in plot I.U.786, Liverpool (Anfield) Cemetery.

Also on the War Memorial for the Sheltering Homes of Liverpool in Myrtle Street, Liverpool, England is the name of Lillian Ward, US army nurse. The building is now part of the John Moores University complex.

MYRTLE

Sorry, mistake on my part. I do already have it and forgot to update my list.

KITTYVAD

There is a Whitby Book of Remembrance in St. Hilda’s Church, West Cliff, Whitby. I would like photographs of the names of Rosa Lisle Bulmer, Edith May Harrison and Florence Emily Smales in it. I have sent you details direct with the vicar's contact number kindly obtained for me by someone else on this forum.

MARKINBELFAST

I shall drop you a line direct.

Jim,

Can you give me the details of the two in Co. Londonderry? I may be able to help.

Bob DENNIS.

Hello Bob, I may be asking for the impossible here. Norah (or Nora) DUGAN was a VAD from Barmouth, Castlerock. Londonderry. She is almost unrecorded anywhere and it has taken some research to get this much. The Nursing Record mentions that the funeral took place at Coleraine with many members of the local V.A.D. attending in uniform. That is as much as I can provide. Next stop will have to be the local newspaper to see if that can elaborate, I guess.

I addition I would like a photograph of the name of Laura Marian GAILEY on the war memorial on The Diamond, Londonderry.

Next there is S. MOORE, QMAAC, who died 1/4/19 and is buried in the north east part of Moneymore Old Graveyard, Londonderry.

Lastly I believe that the City of Derry Guildhall has a memorial window erected by local Women's Voluntary War Workers.

I hope that you are able to help, Kind regards, Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Just bringing to the top again now that the weather has improved. This list has been edited to date.

United Kingdom

ANGLESEY, Holyhead (4)

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Inverary, Kilbride

BEDFORDSHIRE, Luton (2)

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Langley, Penn

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Langadock

CHESHIRE, Ammanford, Holylake (2),

CLACKMANNANSHIRE, Dollar, Tillicoultry

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DYFED, Abergwili

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Gellygaer, Llandough, Ponyclun, Pontypridd

GWENT, Pontypool

GWYNEDD, Bangor

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

HERTFORDSHIRE, Langleybury

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine and Moneymore), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Canterbury (2), Ramsgate

LANARKSHIRE, Airdrie,

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Liverpool, Lytham, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Southport

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Elmer’s End, Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (3), Tower Hill

MERIONETHSHIRE, Dolgelley (2),

MIDLOTHIAN, Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

OXFORDSHIRE, Wolvercote

PERTHSHIRE, Comrie, Crieff

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SUFFOLK, Southwold

SURREY, Fulham, Leatherhead

WESTMORELAND, Workington,

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Castleford, Harrogate, Normanton, Pontifract, Whitby, Woodhouse

WORLD

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Le Havre, Pys

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAN, Tehran

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Galway, Co. Leix, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Dublin (5), Louth

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TANZANIA, Dodoma (2)

U.S.A. Harvard

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Hi there Jim,

I should be able to cover Castleford, Pontefract and Normanton in the next 3 weeks.

Who are you short of at Harrogate please.

Cheers Roger.

Jim ... what are you after in Perth W. Australia?

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi there Jim,

I should be able to cover Castleford, Pontefract and Normanton in the next 3 weeks.

Who are you short of at Harrogate please.

Cheers Roger.

I am told that the names of Emma Howell, QMAAC and Dorothy Mortimer Watson, TFNS are on the Harrogate War Memorial (funnily enough someone provided V.I. Knapton and Betty Stevenson off the same memorial but didn't spot these). I hope that they are there.

Jim ... what are you after in Perth W. Australia?

Bright Blessings

Sandra

I am after a photograph of the name of Rosa O'Kane on what the CWGC calls Quarantine Station; Woodmans Point; Garden of Remembrance Memorial 6. I actually have a photograph of her grave at Woodmans Point. Another source states that the memorial is in Perth Cemetery and memorial 6 A. But whichever location it is the CWGC memorial that I am after.

Jim

Who have you got left in Southport, I did Southport for you about 18 months ago, has a new name come to light?

Stephen :D

Jim

Who have you got left in Southport, I did Southport for you about 18 months ago, has a new name come to light?

Stephen :D

Stephen, Indeed, you did. But I am always finding out new things and requirements. What I am after now is Janet Lois Griffiths. You got me her name off the Southport War Memorial for me. I now know that she is also on a bronze plaque which was originally in the Congregrational Church, Chapel Street, Southport and is now in West End United Church, Lord Street, West Southport. Jim

Must be related and probably her aunt. The 1901 census has her as Marina. She is the daughter of John and Laura Lapish with three brothers and a sister (called Horace !).

Hi jim

Who you after in Grantham

Keith