Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim ... have forgotten the one I am getting for you. Been way to wet here to go out!!! I think I am growing webbed feet :(

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Keith

I am after a photograph of the headstone of Alice Frances Wilson, WRAF, who is in Grantham Cemetery, plot 16.38. She died 26/11/18

Fedelmar/Sandra

Thank you for the update. There is no hurry but pleased to know that you are on the case

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

If you give me details of your Co Durham ones - DURHAM, Auckland, Hartlepool, Hetton - I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Jef

Jim

If you give me details of your Co Durham ones - DURHAM, Auckland, Hartlepool, Hetton - I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Jef

Jef, From the posting above yours you will see that Myrtle has provided my Auckland requirement. That just leaves the following headstone photographs for Co. Durham :-

Violet Norah HARDING, QMAAC, died 7/2/19 and buried Hetton (Easington Lane) Cemetery, grave C.895

Kathleen Edith Anderson HOOPER, QMAAC, died 7/11/18 and buried Hartlepool (West View) Cemetery, grave 2.C.0.11

I hope that you can help, Jim

Thank you Maggie and Jef for polishing off County Durham for me. If anyone else can help the updated listing is on post 367 (page 15).

Jim,

I promised to do the Blaenau Festiniog one and Mary Smith at Dolgelley when we go to Wales at the end of this month. Do you still need them? Is there another one at Dolgelley?

Roy

Jim,

I promised to do the Blaenau Festiniog one and Mary Smith at Dolgelley when we go to Wales at the end of this month. Do you still need them? Is there another one at Dolgelley?

Roy

Roy, Both locations still wanted and thank you for the offer. At Dolgelley I need the photographs of the headstone to Mary Elizabeth Smith, QMAAC (died 21/8/18 - churchyard extension, north west part) and I also understand that her name is on the Dolgelley War Memorial - so two from there. In Festiniog (Bethesda) Cemetery (plot E.371) lies Jean Roberts, QMAAC (died 5/1/18). She was a local girl but I do not know if her name made it to the Festiniog War Memorial. Thanks for your help, Jim

• 4 weeks later...

"CLARA CROZIER, QMAAC, died 17/11/18 and buried near west boundary, Newry Reform Presbyterian Cemetery

This is off Church Street. (also known as Meeting House Green Cemetery). There is 1 Commonwealth burial of the 1914-1918 war here."

Hi Jim,

I was in Newry today and after first getting the COI cemetery, I was directed to the correct one. But I couldn't find Clara Crozier - I wasn't quite sure where west was so I looked at every name in the cemetery. The man who gave me directions said that there had been some vandalism of headstones - he was concerned that it might be kept locked.

So what 's the next step? Some of the older graves were quite overgrown although some are reasonably recent. I guess if we knew who looked after the plots they could say where the Crozier grave is.

Sorry I didn't get it!!

Regards,

Peter

"CLARA CROZIER, QMAAC, died 17/11/18 and buried near west boundary, Newry Reform Presbyterian Cemetery

This is off Church Street. (also known as Meeting House Green Cemetery). There is 1 Commonwealth burial of the 1914-1918 war here."

Hi Jim,

I was in Newry today and after first getting the COI cemetery, I was directed to the correct one. But I couldn't find Clara Crozier - I wasn't quite sure where west was so I looked at every name in the cemetery. The man who gave me directions said that there had been some vandalism of headstones - he was concerned that it might be kept locked.

So what 's the next step? Some of the older graves were quite overgrown although some are reasonably recent. I guess if we knew who looked after the plots they could say where the Crozier grave is.

Sorry I didn't get it!!

Regards,

Peter

Peter, My source at the CWGC is on holiday but I am sure that I can get a cemetery layout from her when she returns showing Clara's plot. Any chance of you going back again if suitably armed ? Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes I'm sure I can go back, it'll be a bit easier now that I know where the cemetery is! I'm normally just passing through Newry rather than stopping. Let me know, even with a PM, if you can find a plan for the plots and I'll give it another go. As long as I have a bit of warning..

Regards,

Peter

Roy, Both locations still wanted and thank you for the offer. At Dolgelley I need the photographs of the headstone to Mary Elizabeth Smith, QMAAC (died 21/8/18 - churchyard extension, north west part) and I also understand that her name is on the Dolgelley War Memorial - so two from there. In Festiniog (Bethesda) Cemetery (plot E.371) lies Jean Roberts, QMAAC (died 5/1/18). She was a local girl but I do not know if her name made it to the Festiniog War Memorial. Thanks for your help, Jim

Jim,

Just got back from our family holiday with the grand-children, bit short of 'my' time but I've got Jean Roberts grave but didn't get a chance at the town memorial. We had a good search for the Mary Smith one but without sucess (yet). I can say that she doesn't have a CWGC stone - there were none in that cemetery, 95%+ are welsh slate, some of which are quite difficult to read but didn't find a single Smith. We occaisionally visit the county archives in Dolgelleu (the modern name for Dolgelley) and they should have cemetery plans -I'll check her out on our next visit.

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll mail you the Roberts photos.

Roy

Jim,

Just got back from our family holiday with the grand-children, bit short of 'my' time but I've got Jean Roberts grave but didn't get a chance at the town memorial. We had a good search for the Mary Smith one but without sucess (yet). I can say that she doesn't have a CWGC stone - there were none in that cemetery, 95%+ are welsh slate, some of which are quite difficult to read but didn't find a single Smith. We occaisionally visit the county archives in Dolgelleu (the modern name for Dolgelley) and they should have cemetery plans -I'll check her out on our next visit.

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll mail you the Roberts photos.

Roy

Roy, I am on :- jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes I'm sure I can go back, it'll be a bit easier now that I know where the cemetery is! I'm normally just passing through Newry rather than stopping. Let me know, even with a PM, if you can find a plan for the plots and I'll give it another go. As long as I have a bit of warning..

Regards,

Peter

Hello Peter, I now have the map of the cemetery showing where she is buried. Let me have your email address through the message system and I will send it along as an attachment, Kind regards, Jim

Hello Peter, I now have the map of the cemetery showing where she is buried. Let me have your email address through the message system and I will send it along as an attachment, Kind regards, Jim

Jim,

I'll try to get back during the next couple of weeks and hopefully find her this time - at least I realise from the map that I was in the right place. Is the end use going to be in printed form or for the web? I'm just wondering about the required resolution for the pictures, although there's probably a limit to what can be emailed!

Regards,

Peter

Jim,

I'll try to get back during the next couple of weeks and hopefully find her this time - at least I realise from the map that I was in the right place. Is the end use going to be in printed form or for the web? I'm just wondering about the required resolution for the pictures, although there's probably a limit to what can be emailed!

Regards,

Peter

Peter, the end product is to be printed. The photograph can be as high resolution as you can get it. I can reduce resolution but not increase it. Jim

is this the one from Archangel you are after

Russia20080351.jpg

Pat Twomey sent it to me as I was after Bell in the RAMC

Kevin

Thank you, Kevin. It is the one that I wanted. Save for a few ladies buried "somewhere" in Russia I feel that I can now call Russia complete. Thank you, Jim

• 4 weeks later...

There have been some changes to my photographic needs (some added, some taken off) so I have brought to the top again now that the weather is improving.

United Kingdom

ANGLESEY, Holyhead (4)

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Inverary, Kilbride

BEDFORDSHIRE, Luton (2)

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Langley, Penn

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Langadock

CHESHIRE, Ammanford, Holylake (2),

CLACKMANNANSHIRE, Dollar, Tillicoultry

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DYFED, Abergwili

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Gellygaer, Llandough, Ponyclun, Pontypridd

GWENT, Pontypool

GWYNEDD, Bangor

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

HERTFORDSHIRE, Langleybury

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine and Moneymore), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Canterbury (2), Ramsgate

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Liverpool, Lytham, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Southport

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Elmer’s End, Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (3), Tower Hill

MERIONETHSHIRE, Dolgelley (2),

MIDLOTHIAN, Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

OXFORDSHIRE, Wolvercote

PERTHSHIRE, Comrie, Crieff

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SUFFOLK, Southwold

SURREY, Fulham, Leatherhead

WESTMORELAND, Workington,

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Castleford, Harrogate, Normanton, Pontifract, Whitby, Woodhouse

WORLD

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Le Havre, Pys

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAN, Tehran

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Galway, Co. Leix, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Dublin (5), Louth

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TANZANIA, Dodoma (2)

U.S.A. Harvard

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Jim – PM me your requirements in Highgate and St Pancras & Islington and I’ll see what I can do.

Jim – PM me your requirements in Highgate and St Pancras & Islington and I’ll see what I can do.

Wesley, I need Dorothy Madeleine THORNTON, QMAAC, who died 12/12/18 and is buried in Highgate Cemetery, plot 148.41260. I doubt if you can help me with a St. Pancras one for Edith Cavell. I have a note that an oil painting, in three panels, representing Faith, Hope and Charity was unveiled in the dining room of Shoreditch Infirmary (otherwise known as St. Pancras Infirmary) exactly one year after her death by the Mr H. Busby Bird, Mayor of Shoreditch. In an oak frame the inscription reads “Edith Cavell, born December 4th 1865; died October 12th 1915. Assistant Matron, Shoreditch Infirmary, November 1903 to March 1906”. I should like to get a photograph of it. I am guessing that too much time, and an infirmary not being a good place for an oil painting, that it has long gone. Turning to St. Pancras Cemetery I am after Alice Daly, WRAF, who died 13/2/19 and is buried in plot 8. V. 137. Lastly I need Daisy Maud Anscombe, WRAF, who died 29/6/18 and is buried in Islington Cemetery, plot Z. 16371. Jim

Jim

Who is it you need from Chippenham?

Grave of Alice Daly for anybody else who is interested…

(clickable image)

th_P9070018.jpg

Jim – email sent.

Jim

Who is it you need from Chippenham?

John, You have kindly provided me with most of my needs from Chippenham in the past. I am stuck with two requirements neither of which I think that you will be able to get. One is a photo of a photo and the other is in an unknown cemetery. In the Chippenham Town Museum Collection of photographs (reference CHYHM 1978:775) of local VADs are Evelyn and Dora Belcher and the late Mrs. A. Stevens. Muriel Belcher is apparently not amongst them. My other requirement is the grave headstone of Mrs A. Stevens, VAD, who died 30/11/18 and is buried in a Chippenham cemetery (apparently not St. Pauls). So to find this one a search for an obituary/death notice in the local newspaper may prove necessary hoping that it names the cemetery. Both of these are cumbersome so I shall understand if they are not for you, Jim