Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

I am going to be visiting the area where Abney Park is situated. If you post the details I will see what I can do.

Myrtle

Myrtle, I am after a photograph of the screen wall at Abney Park showing the name of Daisy Margaret Hudson, WRAF. If at all possible, though, her grave is known but likely to be unmarked as there is a screen. Her grave site is at burial no.131857, plot O07/7S01 and there may be an office on site that can tell you the exact spot. I am happy with a photograph of her unmarked plot !!!

Jim

I will take the photograph the next time I am over that way. I have asked my contact at Hackney Council to check if they have a map of the cemetery to make the hunt easier.

Myrtle

Anywhere within a 20 mile radius of Benfleet Essex, near my home

Also can do Richmond N'Yorks and surrounding area, near where I go for a holiday a few times.

Just say and I will help

Regards

Sue

Anywhere within a 20 mile radius of Benfleet Essex, near my home

Also can do Richmond N'Yorks and surrounding area, near where I go for a holiday a few times.

Just say and I will help

Regards

Sue

Sue, thank you for the offer. All of my known Essex requirements are complete. The following I need from Yorkshire :-

YORKSHIRE, Castleford, Harrogate, Normanton, Pontifract, Stocksbridge, Whitby, Woodhouse

I will leave it for you to consider if these are handy as my geography leaves a bit to be desired. Jim

Hi Jim

Who are you looking for in LYTHAM, Lancashire, and which cemetery?

Andy

Hi Jim

Who are you looking for in LYTHAM, Lancashire, and which cemetery?

Andy

Hello Andy, I am after Alice Knowles, WRNS, who died 29/11/18 and is buried in the south east part of St. John the Divine churchyard, Lytham. Worth looking on the local war memorial, too, but I suspect that like many women casualties she will have been missed. Jim

I am after Alice Knowles, WRNS, who died 29/11/18 and is buried in the south east part of St. John the Divine churchyard, Lytham. Worth looking on the local war memorial, too, but I suspect that like many women casualties she will have been missed. Jim

Will do!

Andy

Jim,

Just seen that the Oxfordshire - Wolvercote - one is quite near me, got any details ?

Grant

Jim,

Just seen that the Oxfordshire - Wolvercote - one is quite near me, got any details ?

Grant

Hello Grant, This is an unusual one and I hope is not a lost cause. l say that because another US citizen (Casstevens, Liverpool) had been exhumed and returned to her home town for burial. But the one that I am after at Wolvercote is Harriet Hannaford Ellis, Y.M.C.A. (American) who died 21st August 1918 and was buried in Wolvercote Cemetery. I hope that the cemetery is not too large and good luck in the hunt, Regards, Jim

Jim,

She's still there apparently

Here headstone has been laid flat as it failed the "standie upright" test and the kerbing is quite hard to read apparently.

For the record she died aged 32 and was buried 24th August 1918 in Grave F1-2

I have asked for some directions and will try to get there as soon as I can

Grant

Mission accomplished Sir.

Standing cross has been laid flat due to failing the councils wobble test, there is a B****Y great rabbit hole in the middle of the plot and the writing is barly visable.

I had been prewarned that it was dirty, so I took a brush and a bottle of soapy water with me and gave the cross and the base a bit of a rub down.

The writing is still very faint on the photos - PM me an email address to send pics to.

On the base of the cross - Harriet Hannaford Ellis

Born at Cininnati Ohio USA

September 25th 1885

Died at Oxford Aug 21 1918

On the Plinth stone - Worked on the battlefields abroad

and made the greatest sacrifice

There is another line under this, but it is elligable

The plot is F1-2, Wolvercote Cemetery, Banbury rd, Oxford OX2 8EE.

Do I get a prize for working so fast :-)

Grant

Mission accomplished Sir.

Standing cross has been laid flat due to failing the councils wobble test, there is a B****Y great rabbit hole in the middle of the plot and the writing is barly visable.

I had been prewarned that it was dirty, so I took a brush and a bottle of soapy water with me and gave the cross and the base a bit of a rub down.

The writing is still very faint on the photos - PM me an email address to send pics to.

On the base of the cross - Harriet Hannaford Ellis

Born at Cininnati Ohio USA

September 25th 1885

Died at Oxford Aug 21 1918

On the Plinth stone - Worked on the battlefields abroad

and made the greatest sacrifice

There is another line under this, but it is elligable

The plot is F1-2, Wolvercote Cemetery, Banbury rd, Oxford OX2 8EE.

Do I get a prize for working so fast :-)

Grant

Prize? You'll get more than a prize. You will get a bloody great kiss if you care to come down to Devon to collect it. Seriously, though, I will pm by email address direct. Thank you for your immense help in finding and getting this one. I just hope that the Wolvercote citizens appreciate that they have a US war grave in their cemetery.

I just hope that the Wolvercote citizens appreciate that they have a US war grave in their cemetery.

They've also got J.R.R. Tolkien, so the place doesn't go short of visitors ..... :lol:

Sorry Jim, I must have missed this one or I'd have offered ages ago. Well done Grant!

Jim,

Is it a War Grave ?

It looks like a lot of the other headstones around it.

Have you got any more details about her ?

I took my father with me and he was facinated that an American women ended up in Oxford after helping our war effort.

Also there are quite a lot of CGWC headstones in the cemetery - what was in the area in WW1 to attract so many.

Grant

Jim,

emailed pics - fairly big files

All the way up there I was telling Dad about Tolkien. In the excitment of finding the plot and taking the photo's I forgot all about him - Dooh

I have also enquired about geting the stone restuck upright and cleaned properly, if the cost is reasonable I will get it done as a "thank you" to her

Grant

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Robin Wells for finishing Kent for me. Some others have been chipped away and a few more added so worth bringing to the top again.

United Kingdom

ANGLESEY, Bennlech, Holyhead (5)

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Inverary, Kilbride

BEDFORDSHIRE, Luton (2)

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Langley, Penn

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CARNARVONSHIRE, Llanberis

CHESHIRE, Liscard

CLACKMANNANSHIRE, Dollar, Tillicoultry

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Gellygaer, Llandough, Ponyclun,

GWENT, Pontypool

GWYNEDD, Bangor

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Isle of Moy

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Teynham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Denmark Hill, Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Golder's Green, Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Tower Hill

MERIONETHSHIRE, Dolgelley (2)

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NAIRNSHIRE, Nairn

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PERTHSHIRE, Perth (Wells Hill)

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SUFFOLK, Southwold

SURREY, Fulham, Leatherhead, Woking

WESTMORELAND, Workington,

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Normanton, Stocksbridge, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Le Havre, Pys

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAN, Tehran

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Galway, Co. Leix, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TANZANIA, Dodoma (2)

U.S.A. Harvard, Illinois (Shelby County)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Jim,

I quite new to the forum. I see you mention some Counties in Northern Ireland. I'm willing to try and help in Northern Ireland if this is of any use. PM me and I will send email address and you can forward your requirements.

Regards

Adrian

Jim,

Oxfordshire has been done.

Also I have emailed the Reading cemetry about the three you have listed for there, but still havn't had a reply after three weeks - I'll chase them up

Grant

Jim,

Oxfordshire has been done.

Also I have emailed the Reading cemetry about the three you have listed for there, but still havn't had a reply after three weeks - I'll chase them up

Grant

Grant, You're right. You did Wolvercote for me. I have amended the list.

Adrian, I am sending you my email address,

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim, never heard of Wells Hill in Perth. That's not to say it's not there. What and who is it you are after ?

Cheers Mike

With a bit of Googling it seems that Wells Hill Cemetery lies between Jeanfield Road and Feus Road, Perth. I am after a photograph of the name of Mabel Lee Milne, TFNS, inscribed on a family memorial stone in the cemetery. Although she died in France her name, as a memorial, is there. This is likely to be on the headstone of her parents. It would need contact with the cemetery office to find a headstone to the Milne family and work it out from from there.

Jim

I have taken quite a few at the main cemetery in Bangor. Who do you have there?

Hywyn

Hello Hywyn, I am after photographs showing the names of the following women on the Bangor Arch which is in the grounds of Bangor University.

Jane Ellen HOWDLE, Mercantile Marine

Hannah OWEN, Mercantile Marine

Louisa PARRY, Mercantile Marine

Margaret WILLIAMS, Mercantile Marine

Regards, Jim