Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim

Is the lady you require from Leatherhead, Ada Elizabeth Weller QMAAC? I have planned to go to Dorking Cemetery in a couple of weeks as there are RAMC personnel there so can go to Leatherhead then, it is just up the road.

Barbara

Hi Jim

Is the lady you require from Leatherhead, Ada Elizabeth Weller QMAAC? I have planned to go to Dorking Cemetery in a couple of weeks as there are RAMC personnel there so can go to Leatherhead then, it is just up the road.

Barbara

Barbara, Yes and No. I have a photograph of her headstone (although always pleased to have another). My requirement now is a photograph of her name on the WWI memorial roll in Leatherhead Methodist Church, Church Road, Leatherhead. Jim

Jim,

Regarding your mention of the memorial painting to Edith Cavell in Shoreditch Infirmary…

This morning I spoke to St Leonard’s Hospital in Hackney (formerly Shoreditch Infirmary), now a busy out-patients unit still housed in the original building. I spoke to staff in a number of relevant departments who although extremely helpful knew nothing of the memorial.

Following this I contacted the Archivist at St Bartholomew’s Hospital where the historical records of Shoreditch Infirmary are held. He spoke to a colleague who has an interest in Edith Cavell who provided the following information…

Along with other significant artefacts, the paintings were removed from the hospital and put into storage during WW2, unfortunately they have not been seen since and their whereabouts are now unknown. The record of where they were stored during this period has also been lost, apparently St Bartholomew’s lost a significant number of their historical documents as a result of enemy action, and of course there is the possibility that the paintings from the Cavell memorial met the same fate.

The Archivist also kindly checked for the existence of Order of Service or similar from the unveiling of the memorial, but again nothing survives.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but on a positive note my enquiry has been logged on the St Bartholomew’s Archive database, and should anything present itself in the future I will be contacted, and in that event I will certainly pass on any information to you – and to anyone else with an interest.

In return I have promised to pass any useful information about the memorial I obtain on to the Archivist, who is obviously very keen to obtain information for their records, so in the event that you hear anything from another source could I please ask that you let me know or contact the Archivist at Barts directly.

Wesley, thank you for your efforts which are much appreciated. It seems likely that the painting was lost through enemy action during WW2 but at least a beacon has gone up just in case it is sitting around somewhere. At least Myrtle has shown us what it looked like.

Here is a link that gives further information about this memorial.Shoreditch memorial

Myrtle

Thanks Myrtle I'd seen that link.

I hope to find a copy of the original journal to photograph as the image of the painting does not lend itself to transfer to the www!

Jim

May Wylie: pics emailed today. Are you still looking for the memorial in Liverpool Cathedral?

Daggers

Hi Daggers, I now have the Lady Chapel from Liverpool Cathedral thanks to David Irving. Thanks for the offer, Jim

John, You have kindly provided me with most of my needs from Chippenham in the past. I am stuck with two requirements neither of which I think that you will be able to get. One is a photo of a photo and the other is in an unknown cemetery. In the Chippenham Town Museum Collection of photographs (reference CHYHM 1978:775) of local VADs are Evelyn and Dora Belcher and the late Mrs. A. Stevens. Muriel Belcher is apparently not amongst them. My other requirement is the grave headstone of Mrs A. Stevens, VAD, who died 30/11/18 and is buried in a Chippenham cemetery (apparently not St. Pauls). So to find this one a search for an obituary/death notice in the local newspaper may prove necessary hoping that it names the cemetery. Both of these are cumbersome so I shall understand if they are not for you, Jim

Jim had a morning wondering round Chippenham (car in garage so time to waste....er utilise) so went to the cemetery to look for the grave of Mrs Stevens. I spoke to men there and had a chance to look through the graves index. There did not seem to be a Mrs A Stevens or anyone near to that. The man in the office checked the burial register and she does not appear in that either but he will do digging....er checking is perhaps a better word and hopefully get back to me if he finds out any more.

Then it was up to the Heritage centre to look in the local papers for any death notices etc - nothing unfortunatly. So, ff she is not buried at St Paul's or the town cemetery then that leaves just one other cemetery that she might be buried in St NIcholas at Hardenhuish. I will try and get there in the next couple of days for you.

Finally up to the Town Museum. They are in the process of digitalising their photo collection and as luck would have it, the volunteer who is doing the work was in today and they would set him onto scabbing the photo etc. By the time I got back an e-mail was waiting for me:

Unfortunately I am unable to find the particular photograph you asked for (CHIYH:1978.775) in the museum photograph collection. It has not been seen since 1997 so may not have made the move across to the new museum. However I belive it is a copy of the attached image (CHIYH:1982.56), a group portrait of the nurses of 6 Wiltshire VAD, who worked at the Neeld Hall hospital during World War I. We believe the photograph was taken by Sydney Porter in the grounds of The Ivy c1918. All the nurses apart from two have been identified, names below.

back row from left

Mrs King, Miss W King, Miss Rich, Miss Hobbs, Miss Awdry, Miss Ferris, Mrs Pammel, Miss Selman

third row from left

Mrs B F Pinfield, Mrs A Stevens, not known, Mrs A Tuck, Mrs Hardiman, Miss Collen, Mrs Hinton, Mrs Spencer, Mrs MacNess, Miss Collen, Mrs Hetherington, Mrs Coward, Miss Pope, Miss Fudge, Mrs Brett, not known

second row from left

Mrs Williams, Miss D Belcher (Assistant Matron), Miss Wishaw (Assistant Commandant), Mrs Hulbert (Sister), Mrs Wilson OBE (Commandant), Ms E Belcher (Quartermaster), Mrs Miller (Sister), Mrs Shipp, Miss Parry

front row from left

Mrs Bryant, Miss Munday, Miss M Rudman, Miss Shipp, Miss Hetherington, Miss W Pearce, Miss Grimshaw, Miss Spinke

A00386.jpg

Hope this helps - I will e-mail you the image direct as well.

John

Editted to add....

Managed to get a quick visit to the church at Hardenhuish - afraid I couldn't fnd the grave there either. So looks like her grave is either unmarked, unreadable or not actually in Chippenham and possiibly in one of the villages nearby?

Also had a follow up e-mail from the museum, they are going to see if they can send me the other pictures from the collection with VAD groups in. Will let you have them when I get them if they are any use to you.

John

• 1 month later...

There have been some changes to my photographic needs (some added, some taken off) so I have brought to the top again.

United Kingdom

ANGLESEY, Holyhead (4)

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Inverary, Kilbride

BEDFORDSHIRE, Luton (2)

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Langley, Penn

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Langadock

CHESHIRE, Ammanford,

CLACKMANNANSHIRE, Dollar, Tillicoultry

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DYFED, Abergwili

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Gellygaer, Llandough, Ponyclun, Pontypridd

GWENT, Pontypool

GWYNEDD, Bangor

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

HERTFORDSHIRE, Langleybury

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone

KENT, Canterbury (2), Ramsgate

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Liverpool, Lytham, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Denmark Hill, Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (3), Tower Hill

MERIONETHSHIRE, Dolgelley (2)

MIDLOTHIAN, Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

OXFORDSHIRE, Wolvercote

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SUFFOLK, Southwold

SURREY, Fulham, Leatherhead

WESTMORELAND, Workington,

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Castleford, Harrogate, Normanton, Pontifract, Stocksbridge, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Le Havre, Pys

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAN, Tehran

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Galway, Co. Leix, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Dublin (5), Louth

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TANZANIA, Dodoma (2)

U.S.A. Harvard

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

• 1 month later...

Still chipping away. Thank you, Sandra, for Langleybury.

There have been some changes to my photographic needs (some added, some taken off) so I have brought to the top again.

United Kingdom

ANGLESEY, Holyhead (4)

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

BEDFORDSHIRE, Luton (2)

BERKSHIRE, Reading

CHESHIRE, Ammanford,

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DYFED, Abergwili

GWENT, Pontypool

GWYNEDD, Bangor

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Isle of Moy

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. Armagh, Co. Down, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Liverpool, Lytham, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Denmark Hill, Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (3), Tower Hill

MIDLOTHIAN, Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

OXFORDSHIRE, Wolvercote

PERTHSHIRE, Crieff

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SUFFOLK, Southwold

SUSSEX, Brighton

YORKSHIRE, Castleford, Harrogate, Normanton, Pontifract, Stocksbridge, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Lamalou les Baines, Le Havre, Pys

IRAN, Tehran

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Galway, Co. Leix, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Dublin (5), Louth

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TANZANIA, Dodoma (2)

U.S.A. Harvard, Illinois (Shelby County)

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Hi Jim New to the forum.

Do you still have a requirement for anything in Suffolk (Southwold I believe)

It's only half an hour from me if you still have a requirement.

Hi Jim New to the forum.

Do you still have a requirement for anything in Suffolk (Southwold I believe)

It's only half an hour from me if you still have a requirement.

Hello Martin, Thank you for the offer. Diana Reynolds Smith, QMAAC, is buried in St. Edmund Churchyard, Southwold. The grave is north of the west end of the church. I need a photograph of her headstone. Her name is also on the Southwold War Memorial but I already have a photograph of that. Jim

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Mike Haigh those requirements in Perthshire now complete. Any more help would be appreciated.

Still chipping away. Thank you, Sandra, for Langleybury.

United Kingdom

ANGLESEY, Holyhead (4)

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

BEDFORDSHIRE, Luton (2)

BERKSHIRE, Reading

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DYFED, Abergwili, Ammanford

GWENT, Pontypool

GWYNEDD, Bangor

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Isle of Moy

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Caton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Liverpool, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Denmark Hill, Deptford (3), Edmonton (2), Golder's Green, Heston, Highgate, Islington, St. Pancras, Tottenham (3), Tower Hill

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

OXFORDSHIRE, Wolvercote

PERTHSHIRE, Perth (Wells Hill)

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SUFFOLK, Southwold

World

CANADA, British Columbia (2), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Le Havre, Pys

IRAN, Tehran

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TANZANIA, Dodoma (2)

U.S.A. Harvard, Illinois (Shelby County)

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Jim

If you let me know the details for Haydon Bridge I'll see what I can do.

It may take a while because at present I've no plans to head in that direction (and in any case the last time I was in that area 3 months ago I landed a speeding ticket!) but I'll try to fit it in.

Jef

Hi Jim,

If you let me know what you want in Chippenham I will endeavor to get them done for you this week.

Kind regards

Martyn

Jim

If you let me know the details for Haydon Bridge I'll see what I can do.

It may take a while because at present I've no plans to head in that direction (and in any case the last time I was in that area 3 months ago I landed a speeding ticket!) but I'll try to fit it in.

Jef

Jef, Thank you for the offer. This one is a matter of "Hunt the Headstone". Winifred Eliza CARRICK, Voluntary Aid Detachment, died in unfortunate circumstances on the 24th June 1919. She is buried in St. Cuthbert's Church cemetery, Haydon Bridge. She will not have a CWGC headstone but more likely be buried in a family plot/grave. I already have her name off the war memorial and the memorial door frame/reredos. Jim

Hi Jim,

If you let me know what you want in Chippenham I will endeavor to get them done for you this week.

Kind regards

Martyn

Martyn, This one remains a bit of a mystery. Mrs A. Stevens was a member of Wiltshire 6 Voluntary Aid Detachment. She died 30/11/1918. She is known to be buried in a Chippenham cemetery but location unknown. Someone has searched the St. Pauls cemetery index and she doesn't appear to be buried there. So she will be in any of the other churchyard/cemeteries in Chippenham. I appreciate that this one is a hopeless task but I hope to see her "brought in out of the cold" eventually. I shall understand if this one is not for you, Regards, Jim

Jim,

They don't call me Sherlock for nothing......hang on they don't call me Sherlock.

Never mind Jim I like a good mystery. Leave it with me and I will get back to you soonest

Martyn

• 4 weeks later...

You say "CHESHIRE, Ammanford,"

I am in Cheshire but the only Ammanford I can find is in Dyfed South Wales.

Could I suggest that you check to see what you need and where it is?

Thanks

Harper

You say "CHESHIRE, Ammanford,"

I am in Cheshire but the only Ammanford I can find is in Dyfed South Wales.

Could I suggest that you check to see what you need and where it is?

Thanks

Harper

My mistake. You are right. It Is Dyfed. I am looking for a photograph of the headstone of Emma Grace Fletcher, Red Cross who is buried in St. Michael's churchyard there.