Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

SHORE, Florence Nightingale, QAIMNS, died 16/1/20. buried Westminster City Cemetery (now Hanwell Cemetery) plot A.6449 (second cousin to THE Florence Nightingale). Regards, Jim

OK Jim

Regards

Myrtle

• 2 weeks later...

message for Chris Baker - I tried to send this through the pm system but your inbox is full

Hello Chris, As you probably know I am preparing a Register of WW1 serving female casualties. I hope that this will be published around 2012 (after the 2011 census has been released) probably at my own expense and as a memorial to these unsung women. You kindly gave me an entry under National/International Projects and through this I have obtained many, many photographs of women's grave markers and memorials which will go into the Register. A couple of months ago I got to the stage where I could actually list photographs that I needed and this I placed on page 10 as posting 237. Over the past week or so this listing has disappeared and a new posting 237 has slipped in. I spent almost a full day preparing the listing and you will see in subsequent postings that I had referred to this listing as I had been updating it as new photographs were received (using quick edit). But as the whole lot has disappeared I wondered if you would kindly explain what has happened. I have been very grateful for the spot that you have given me here on the Great War Forum and indeed a huge acknowledgement is in the narrative of my Register. But just for peace of mind perhaps you could let me know what has happened. Kind regards, Jim Strawbridge

• 4 weeks later...

Jim

Margaret Dorothea Braithwaite died 3 Mar 1919 BRCS VAD SUFFOLK 60 DETACHMENT funeral was held at Great Waldingfield Suffolk

Chris

Jim

Margaret Dorothea Braithwaite died 3 Mar 1919 BRCS VAD SUFFOLK 60 DETACHMENT funeral was held at Great Waldingfield Suffolk

Chris

Thank you, Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

Monica Machin Ferguson - Norfolk VAD

Ferguson.png

From the Times of 23 Nov 1918

Evening Jim,

I came across the following whilst searching MIC's at the NA on line,

Harriet Stothard,

Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve.

Staff Nurse.

Unfortunatley I havn't had time to research further.

Cheers Roger.

Chris, many thanks for the obituary. I knew that she died of pneumonia but not her father's name. So you have opened up a new opportunity of finding out more about her through the census.

Roger, I don't know this one as a casualty so if you find out more about her. and she is, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Where did you find that little beauty

Cheers Roger.

Hi Dave,

Cheers for that, just thinking If she died in Britain then it should say what the cause of death was on the death certificate, if overseas then I dont know how to find out.

Looks like you and Chris had a good weekend scouting around.

Cheers Roger.

Jim - Can't believe its been 3 years since I took those Arlington pics for you. I know I am getting old now, 'cause that seems like just yesterday.

Here are a couple from around the American Red Cross bldg which you might find interesting. Alas the banner heading along the top of the building did not come out, but it says "To the heroic women of the Great War". Also, although she looks like Darth Vader in this pic, the statue of Jane Delano is pretty impressive. Unfortunately due to the trees no matter what time of day that area is always shaded.

Andy

and the full memorial and close up of the plaque..... Andy

post-1626-1195333688.jpg

post-1626-1195333696.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jim - Can't believe its been 3 years since I took those Arlington pics for you. I know I am getting old now, 'cause that seems like just yesterday.

Here are a couple from around the American Red Cross bldg which you might find interesting. Alas the banner heading along the top of the building did not come out, but it says "To the heroic women of the Great War". Also, although she looks like Darth Vader in this pic, the statue of Jane Delano is pretty impressive. Unfortunately due to the trees no matter what time of day that area is always shaded.

End of Quote

Hello Andy, I can't believe that it is three years either. One question. Which city and state is the American Red Cross Building? Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I was hoping for a photo from Hensall Union Cemetery in Huron County Ontario of:

LT. JHA Stoneman, died 1918 in France.

Thanks very much,

Art

Hi Jim:

Can do the following:

Aylmer

Hensall

Listowel

St. Thomas

Stratford

G

Hello Art:

I can take that photo for you when next in Hensall.

I have completed getting all the photos Jim requested except for the one in Listowel, but as Hensall and Listowel aren't too far apart will probably take the 2 photos on the next trip.

Unfortunately, I don't know when that's going to be, so hope you will be patient!!

G

Jim

Didn't read all 13 pages of posts so you may have this covered - anything needed in Northern Ireland?? Interesting surname - had a friend called Deanna in a past employment.

Guest brent137

Thank you very much, SGM.

no hurry, I appreciate it.

Art

Hello Art:

I can take that photo for you when next in Hensall.

I have completed getting all the photos Jim requested except for the one in Listowel, but as Hensall and Listowel aren't too far apart will probably take the 2 photos on the next trip.

Unfortunately, I don't know when that's going to be, so hope you will be patient!!

G

Jim

Didn't read all 13 pages of posts so you may have this covered - anything needed in Northern Ireland?? Interesting surname - had a friend called Deanna in a past employment.

For some strange reason only one of my female casualties was buried in Northern Ireland and I have a photograph of her grave. Many needed in the south of the island. BUT I still need a photograph of the memorial to Irish military nurse casualties in St. Anne’s Church of Ireland Cathedral, Belfast. I should be very grateful if you could get that for me.

Jim

I have sent you photographs of Florence Nightingale Shore's grave at Westminster (Hanwell) Cemetery.

Myrtle

Safely received with much thanks, Jim

Jim

I have sent you the photos of the communal headstone for Brinton_MG_TFNS by e-mail. You will see that the inscription covers burials from 1845 to 1917. I know that Brinton died in 1918...either the inscription is in error or the lady still resides under the tarmac of the local bus station. The Council thinks the latter possible but unlikely. I have found no graves now to the north of St Cuthbert's Stella where she was originally buried.

Bob Kerr

Bob, Photos safely received (and thank you). I am enquiring of the CWGC as to where they think M.G. Brinton's remains are as they still quote a plot number in the cemetery on their website.