Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

OK then Jim,

Let's have Llanberis , Bangor, Liscard and Thanington to be going on with.

Just by the by quite a tragedy for the Owen family first Winifred at 15 months then Hannah lost at sea.

You've started something off here, showed the photos to a local old sea dog and he's now got me tracking down three ladies lost with the Royal Charter.

Regards Jules

P.S. Don't really need acknowledgement, since that's your system Julian Williams is good.

J.

OK then Jim,

Let's have Llanberis , Bangor, Liscard and Thanington to be going on with.

Just by the by quite a tragedy for the Owen family first Winifred at 15 months then Hannah lost at sea.

You've started something off here, showed the photos to a local old sea dog and he's now got me tracking down three ladies lost with the Royal Charter.

Regards Jules

P.S. Don't really need acknowledgement, since that's your system Julian Williams is good.

J.

Llanberis is now complete. I have a promise on Bangor.

Jane Ellen HOWDLE, Merchant Marine - I need her name off the Liscard War Memorial.

Thanington is in Kent which seems off your patch. A difficult one this one as it is likely to be an unmarked grave. Victoria Florence WHIDDETT, munition worker, died June 1917 is in Thanington Cemetery.

OK Jim,

If Bangor doesn't blossom send details.

Will do Liscard.

For "off patch" items do not underestimate friends in low places.

Jules

Hi Jim

Check you email - I have just sent photos for three of the Glamorgan girls.

Tim

Thanks, Tim, now received (with thanks), Jim

Jim,

I have sent you the photos for Sheila DUNNE, Finner Graveyard, Bundoran, Co. Donegal.

While I was there I took photos of the other CWGC graves - if anyone wants a copy of a headstone, message me.

I also visited St. Anne's Church of Ireland, Kilbarron, Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal and took photos of the CWGC graves. I also photographed the family plot of the famous Major General Louis James LIPSETT and his nephew (?) William Alfred LIPSETT where both are remembered on the headstone.

The verger happened to be there and he very kindly allowed me to photograph the various Rolls of Honour inside the church (suitable contribution made to the roof fund !). Perhaps there is someone on the Forum interested in "Rolls of Honour".

Again, if anyone wants copies just message me and I will be happy to oblige.

Cheers,

Bob DENNIS

Hello Bob, photographs of the headstone of Sheila Dunne, QMAAC safely received. Did you manage to get to Fahan where there is a brass tablet to Mary C. Dickson? Jim

Hello Bob, photographs of the headstone of Sheila Dunne, QMAAC safely received. Did you manage to get to Fahan where there is a brass tablet to Mary C. Dickson? Jim

Jim,

I visited Fahan Church some time ago and it was closed. Because of diminishing congregations it is not even open every Sunday. Unfortunately my Sundays are very busy, so if there is anyone else nearby they may be able to assist.

Cheers

Bob

Jim,

I visited Fahan Church some time ago and it was closed. Because of diminishing congregations it is not even open every Sunday. Unfortunately my Sundays are very busy, so if there is anyone else nearby they may be able to assist.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Normally there is a noticeboard nearby with a curate or vicars name and telephone number. Many's the time that I have picked up the church key, done my visit, then returned the key. But perhaps not applicable in this case, Regards, Jim

Bootle War Memorial. You may already have this information as Bootle was mentioned way back on page 4.

DODWELL, ELEANOR. MERC.M.

RENNIE, CHRISTINA. MERC.M. (I couldn't find a CWGC entry for her)

WYLIE, MAY. Q.M.A.A.C.

Bootle War Memorial. You may already have this information as Bootle was mentioned way back on page 4.

DODWELL, ELEANOR. MERC.M.

RENNIE, CHRISTINA. MERC.M. (I couldn't find a CWGC entry for her)

WYLIE, MAY. Q.M.A.A.C.

Marky, I did not have this information and must have somehow missed it. Are you local to Bootle and able to get photographs of the female names on it? By the way, why only two Mercantile Marine women on it I do not know. There were lots of casualty stewardesses from Bootle worthy of being there. The only woman I know to be on there, and you haven't listed her, is Annie Roberts. All the women casualties with a Bootle connection are :-

Nora CASSELS, Mercantile Marine

Eleanor DODWELL, Mercantile Marine

Christina Campbell DUNCAN, Mercantile Marine (could this be your Christina Rennie ?)

Anna ENDERSON, Mercantile Marine

Margaret Elizabeth FOULKES, Mercantile Marine

Agnes HIRD, Mercantile Marine

Catherine IRVINE, Mercantile Marine

Isabel Harding MORROW, Mercantile Marine

Annie ROBERTS, Mercantile Marine (possible as Ann Jane ROBERTS)

Elizabeth WALSH, munition worker

May WYLIE, QMAAC

As I said, if any of these names are on the Bootle War Memorial I would welcome photographs.

On the Bootle WW1 memorial men are identified by Regiment, Surname and Initials only. Womens' names are given in Full, from what I can tell. There are only 3 womens names on the main memorial and surrounding paving slabs. May Wylie is the only full name on the main memorial. I took the names directly off the memorial so may differ from other sources. The total number of WW1 names I have is 1342. I didn't see any of the names you gave and only a couple of the Surnames you gave.

BUT, I didn't check the paving slabs surrounding the WW2 memorial. I assumed they were also WW2 casualties. I'm not local but I'll check.

Bootle Memorial, Stanley Road/Gardens: I checked some poor quality photos from 5 years ago, and as I suspected the paving slabs surrounding the WW2 section relate to that conflict and later (Korea, N.I.). Women are identified with the title Miss or Mrs.

The 12 WW1 plaques used to be a nice slate colour, but sometime over the years have been painted in thick black gloss, making them more difficult to photograph. I took a recent photo to show the contrast. May Wylie happens to be on it. I'll return in the next few weeks to check the names you gave against any possible additions and get close-ups of the 3 women I mentioned. In the meantime I'll e-mail what photos I have of the 3 names.

Bootle_Mem_May_WYLIE_blackpaint.jpg

On the Bootle WW1 memorial men are identified by Regiment, Surname and Initials only. Womens' names are given in Full, from what I can tell. There are only 3 womens names on the main memorial and surrounding paving slabs. May Wylie is the only full name on the main memorial. I took the names directly off the memorial so may differ from other sources. The total number of WW1 names I have is 1342. I didn't see any of the names you gave and only a couple of the Surnames you gave.

BUT, I didn't check the paving slabs surrounding the WW2 memorial. I assumed they were also WW2 casualties. I'm not local but I'll check.

Thank you, Marky. Photographs received and filed. I was specifically told that Annie Roberts was there so a check would be helpful. The rest I have worked out from my records as having Bootle connections but may not be there. Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I re-checked the memorial. (I hadn't noticed before that some WW2 names are included among the WW1 names on the paving slabs.)

I didn't notice any of the other women you mentioned. I'll send recent close-ups of the 3 womens' names on the memorial.

Christina RENNIE/DUNCAN:

It does look as though they are the same person...this information is on FreeBMD website:

Births Jun 1879

Duncan, Christina Campbell W. Derby 8b 403

Marriages Mar 1904

Duncan, Christina Campbell Liverpool 8b 212

Rennie, Basil George Liverpool 8b 212

I was also given this Index reference (thanks Jane):

RENNIE Basil G to DUNCAN Christina Liverpool, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool

REG_LP/258/180

I re-checked the memorial. (I hadn't noticed before that some WW2 names are included among the WW1 names on the paving slabs.)

I didn't notice any of the other women you mentioned. I'll send recent close-ups of the 3 womens' names on the memorial.

Christina RENNIE/DUNCAN:

It does look as though they are the same person...this information is on FreeBMD website:

Births Jun 1879

Duncan, Christina Campbell W. Derby 8b 403

Marriages Mar 1904

Duncan, Christina Campbell Liverpool 8b 212

Rennie, Basil George Liverpool 8b 212

I was also given this Index reference (thanks Jane):

RENNIE Basil G to DUNCAN Christina Liverpool, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool

REG_LP/258/180

Thank you, Marky, for this additional information. Much appreciated. Jim

Jim,

Where in British Columbia? I live in Vancouver.

cheers,

peter

Jim,

Where in British Columbia? I live in Vancouver.

cheers,

peter

Hello Peter, My British Columbia requirements are as follows :-

Gladys Maude Mary WAKE, CANS.

1) There is a plaque in St.Pauls Anglican Church, Esquimalt, British Colombia in her memory. A photograph of the plaque needed.

2) In the Canadian Lands and Parks programme, where unnamed geographical features could be named after Canadians who gave their lives during war, Mount Wake was named in her memory. A general photograph of Mount Wake would be nice.

Eliza KENNEDY, Jane JOHNSTONE and Mary Elizabeth OLIPHANT – commemorated on a memorial attached to the bandstand in Veteran’s Park, Langford, British Columbia and unveiled on the 19th May 2002. I need a photograph of the plaque. Incidently, I have yet to establish why Mary's name is on the plaque as I have not yet established a Canadian connection.

If I am reading the CWGC Certificate correctly it is stating that she was born at Esqlaimault, British Columbia. Perhaps her parents came from Canada?

Jim ,

I live in Chippenham and go up to Reading on occasions. Can I be of any help

Maurice

Jim,

I will send a reply to your pm. i expect to be over to Victoria later this summer and wil take photos as requested.

cheers,

peter

If I am reading the CWGC Certificate correctly it is stating that she was born at Esqlaimault, British Columbia. Perhaps her parents came from Canada?

Tony, You are looking at the wrong Mary (Gladys Maude Mary Wake). I was talking about Mary Elizabeth Oliphant. I believe that I have now found the connection. The S.S. Missanabie, on which Mary was a stewardess, was owned and operated by the Canadian Pacific Ocean Line. She was British but, I suppose, was considered an "honoury" Canadian when it came to memorials.

Jim ,

I live in Chippenham and go up to Reading on occasions. Can I be of any help

Maurice

Maurice, thank you for the offer. I need :-

Annie NEISH, V.A.D., who is buried in plot 80.16489, Reading Cemetery (headstone)

For anyone who feels that they want to be Sherlock Holmes I am having difficulty with another. The story so far :-

Emily Millicent GOULD, V.A.D. Born Sonning. Member of Berkshire 26 VAD. Died Royal Berkshire Hospital of peritonitis. Date unknown. But for me, more importantly, I would like to know where she is buried. Almost certainly in Berkshire in a private grave. Perhaps an obituary in a local newspaper would help.

Tony, You are looking at the wrong Mary (Gladys Maude Mary Wake). I was talking about Mary Elizabeth Oliphant. I believe that I have now found the connection. The S.S. Missanabie, on which Mary was a stewardess, was owned and operated by the Canadian Pacific Ocean Line. She was British but, I suppose, was considered an "honoury" Canadian when it came to memorials.

My error! I was looking at the name at the start of your post, should have read it all properly - I eat humble pie!!!

Tony