Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hello Jim

PM just sent, leave it with me I'll sort the photograph for you.

Regards

Stephen

Jim,

We have friends in Coverack, Cornwall who might help. Who do you need there?

Roy

Jim,

We have friends in Coverack, Cornwall who might help. Who do you need there?

Roy

Hello Roy, you may be a saviour. I am in South Devon and used to work in Cornwall. I can get this covered eventually myself but Coverack is miles off the beaten track being down on the Lizard. Much better if a local could stroll along and at their leasure find what I am after. My need relates to Zoe Kathleen Bryan-Daunt. I am led to believe that her name is on the Coverack War Memorial. A photograph of her name on the memorial is firstly what I am after. Next I am guessing that she is buried in the local cemetery. If so, a photograph of her grave is required. Now a little about the family. George Bryan-Daunt (her father) was a doctor in Ilchester, Somerset, then at Newquay and he retired to Coverack. So it seems likely that the family died and were buried there. George's wife was L.A. Daunt, there was a daughter Josephine A. Daunt born in the same year as Zoe so she was either a twin or Josephine was also known as Zoe. She was a V.A.D. I hope that your friend can help, Regards, Jim

Jim,

Give me a week or three, I'll see what I can do. The memorial should be no problem, I'll take a rain-check on the grave.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
Jim,

Give me a week or three, I'll see what I can do. The memorial should be no problem, I'll take a rain-check on the grave.

Roy

Roy, I travelled down to Coverack today (very apt as it is Remebrance Day) and obtained the photographs that I needed. I needed to go to Redruth so I just set off early and swung around to Coverack. The grave I also found. A nice double kerbed one for she is buried with her brother and mother. I appreciate your offer, though, Jim

Roy, I travelled down to Coverack today (very apt as it is Remebrance Day) and obtained the photographs that I needed. I needed to go to Redruth so I just set off early and swung around to Coverack. The grave I also found. A nice double kerbed one for she is buried with her brother and mother. I appreciate your offer, though, Jim

I've just opened this thread to let you know the photos are in hand! Oh well, as long as you have some that's fine.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
SHROPSHIRE, Ellesmere, Wrockwardine

Hi Jim,

I live about 20 minutes away from Ellesmere, and would be happy to take any required photos, if they are still needed!

I also live any a couple of houses away from the graveyard where Gladys Corfield Hughes was buried - I took an interest (and thus found your posts). I photographed Gladys' service record at Kew and this includes a handwritten note of her death from influenza and pneumonia at 3.10am on Nov 6th at the Hospital for [??] Nursing Service, Vincent Square, London - I have attached a low-res copy of this, but would be happy to send a better quality copy if you would like.

post-51818-1259871449.jpg

regards

Rosemary

An update of requirements

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Normanton, Sheriff Hutton, Stocksbridge, Whitby, Woodhouse

Jim, are these non-war deaths ?

Hi Jim,

I live about 20 minutes away from Ellesmere, and would be happy to take any required photos, if they are still needed!

I also live any a couple of houses away from the graveyard where Gladys Corfield Hughes was buried - I took an interest (and thus found your posts). I photographed Gladys' service record at Kew and this includes a handwritten note of her death from influenza and pneumonia at 3.10am on Nov 6th at the Hospital for [??] Nursing Service, Vincent Square, London - I have attached a low-res copy of this, but would be happy to send a better quality copy if you would like.

post-51818-1259871449.jpg

regards

Rosemary

Thank you, Rosemary. I now have the Ellesmere requirement but thank you for offering. The note is from the Hospital for Q.A. Nursing Service. (Queen Alexandra's). Jim

Jim, are these non-war deaths ?

Peter, still looking for :-

Vivien Isabelle KNAPTON, Women's Land Army. Her name is on the United Methodist Church Memorial, Harrogate.

I need someone with time on their hands to hunt through Normanton Cemetery to try and find the graves of Florence HODGKINS (died in the Barnbow explosion) and Florence PORTMAN (died of TNT poisoning) both who were from Normanton. I know that Jennie Blackamore is buried in Upper Normanton Cemetery as I have a photograph of her grave.

Winifred Stanley COATES, V.A.D. Her name is on a memorial tablet in St. Helen's Church, Sheriff Hutton (needed) and she may be buried in the cemetery there. From a well-to-do family from there.

Lucy Hannah CASTLEDINE. A civilian nurse whose name appears on the Roll of Honour for Stocksbridge West End Primitive Methodist Church, now located at Stocksbridge Methodist Church.

You have completed all of my Whitby needs (thank you) save that there is the Whitby Book of Remembrance, St. Hilda’s Church, West Cliff, Whitby still to do. This may be under lock and key but if individual pages can be taken then those with women are what I need.

Katie CHAPMAN, munition worker. Grave at Woodhouse Cemetery (now known as St. George’s Fields); plot 5280 (edge plot abutting the wall next to Henry Price Student Flats). I believe that this is not in the nicest of areas !!

Jim

Peter, still looking for :-

Vivien Isabelle KNAPTON, Women's Land Army. Her name is on the United Methodist Church Memorial, Harrogate.

I need someone with time on their hands to hunt through Normanton Cemetery to try and find the graves of Florence HODGKINS (died in the Barnbow explosion) and Florence PORTMAN (died of TNT poisoning) both who were from Normanton. I know that Jennie Blackamore is buried in Upper Normanton Cemetery as I have a photograph of her grave.

Winifred Stanley COATES, V.A.D. Her name is on a memorial tablet in St. Helen's Church, Sheriff Hutton (needed) and she may be buried in the cemetery there. From a well-to-do family from there.

Lucy Hannah CASTLEDINE. A civilian nurse whose name appears on the Roll of Honour for Stocksbridge West End Primitive Methodist Church, now located at Stocksbridge Methodist Church.

You have completed all of my Whitby needs (thank you) save that there is the Whitby Book of Remembrance, St. Hilda’s Church, West Cliff, Whitby still to do. This may be under lock and key but if individual pages can be taken then those with women are what I need.

Katie CHAPMAN, munition worker. Grave at Woodhouse Cemetery (now known as St. George’s Fields); plot 5280 (edge plot abutting the wall next to Henry Price Student Flats). I believe that this is not in the nicest of areas !!

Jim

Jim

Member Roger Popeye has been to Normanton Cemetery looking for these Barnbow Graves. Drop him a PM. I think he also might have been looking for Katie Chapman's grave.

Peter

ps I wil try to get the others in the new year, once the lighter nights start coming back.

Thank you, Rosemary. I now have the Ellesmere requirement but thank you for offering. The note is from the Hospital for Q.A. Nursing Service. (Queen Alexandra's). Jim

Jim

OK re Ellesmere! Also, thanks for the info on the name of the hospital - I suspected it was Q.A. but wasn't 100% sure.

Rosemary

Jim

I went with GWF pal Geoff Greensmith to Sheriff Hutton today as we were attending the WFA meeting in York. We found her grave which has an impressive Celtic Cross Memorial, and the village war memorial in the church.

I have sent the pics via e-mail, the sun was not kind to us but see what you think....................

Peter

Jim

I went with GWF pal Geoff Greensmith to Sheriff Hutton today as we were attending the WFA meeting in York. We found her grave which has an impressive Celtic Cross Memorial, and the village war memorial in the church.

I have sent the pics via e-mail, the sun was not kind to us but see what you think....................

Peter

Peter (and Geoff). thank you. Safely received. Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Connor, My requirements in British Columbia are threefold. There is a memorial (attached to the band-stand) in Langford Veteran's Park, British Columbia. On it will be the names of Jane Johnstone, Eliza Kennedy and Mary Elizabeth Oliphant (all of the Mercantile Marine). I also need a photograph of the memorial in St.Pauls Anglican Church, Esquimalt, British Colombia in memory of Gladys Mary Maude Wake. Lastly, a photograph of Mount Wake which is named after her as part of the Canadian Lands and Parks programme where unnamed geographical features could be named after Canadians who gave their lives during war. Regards, Jim

This is my first post and hope it works. Jim,you mentioned a memorial in Esquimalt re Gladys Mary Maude Wake. Are you aware that there is a picture of this memorial on their web page? - see here - http://www.stpaulsesquimalt.com/plaqhist.html

Regards

Kenny Bell

Kenny, Wow !!! What an interesting site for me. You are correct in that the memorial plaque that I was looking for is there. But so are THREE others that I did not know about. Firstly, there is the general war memorial with 8 women listed on it (at the beginning. Then there is another listing 51 people the last of which is G.M.M.Wake. Finally there is a plaque to Captain Baldwin Arden Wake, R.N., who I am sure will be one of Gladys Wake's ancestors. This is as well as the plaque just in memory of Gladys. My problem, however, is that I need originally taken photographs for copyright reasons. I can ask the web provider if I may use them but the chances are they were taken by individuals - not the web provider.

Kind members of this forum have produced quite a few more requirements and in particular Kent and Essex are now complete unless new ones pop up. Thank you, also, to Sandra Taylor and her husband for making a detour on their holidays to complete the American Cemeteries in France. So here is the updated needs.

-----------------------------------

Jim

I live near Glasgow and do a bit of hillwalking around Scotland.

My friends and I intend doing a walk near Inverary on Feb 14th, weather (and wife) permitting!

If you still need details for Inverary and it's not too far from our route, we could have a nosey for you.

I could also look for the others near Glasgow (i.e. Dunbarton and the 2 at Clackmannnan) for you but don't know when that may be.

Regards

Kenny

[quote

Jim

I live near Glasgow and do a bit of hillwalking around Scotland.

My friends and I intend doing a walk near Inverary on Feb 14th, weather (and wife) permitting!

If you still need details for Inverary and it's not too far from our route, we could have a nosey for you.

I could also look for the others near Glasgow (i.e. Dunbarton and the 2 at Clackmannnan) for you but don't know when that may be.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, thank you for the offer which is much appreciated. My needs are :-

A photograph of the name of Violet Ross, QMAAC off the Inverary War Memorial. This is a strange one as she is not recorded with the CWGC or on the York Minster panels. So a check of the inscription on the memorial, too, to see if the names are a Roll of Honour or a listing of all who served from the area (casualty or not).

Lady Lelia Mathilda Samuelson, VAD (died 18/6/15 in France) is buried in B. vault, 3.E. Dumbarton Cemetery

Isabella Dingwall Cousins, British Red Cross (died 16/5/18) is buried in Dollar Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Bessie Sim Hunter, WRNS (died 15/3/19) is buried in plot A.221, Tillicoultry Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Any help that you can give will be much appreciated, Jim

Hi Jim,

I see your wish list contains Seaham and Dawdon in County Durham.

What are your needs/wants and I'll try and help, probably after the snow though.

Cheers

Brazen

Hi Jim,

I see your wish list contains Seaham and Dawdon in County Durham.

What are your needs/wants and I'll try and help, probably after the snow though.

Cheers

Brazen

Thank you, Brazen, for the offer.

Martha Hannah BEECH, munition worker, is buried in Princess Road Cemetery, Seaham. Sorry that I haven't a grave reference. More research required on my part but I think that she was one of the women who was injured in an explosion at the Gretna Green munition works and died of her injuries. I think that she died of burns, a full month after the explosion, on the 25th May 1917. Hopefully her headstone will give some reference.

I no longer need Dawdon but this, too, related to Martha Beech as her name is on the altar rail there.

Hi Jim,

No Worries, replied to the PM but...well you know, belt and braces...should be able to get down there in the next couple of weeks, weather permitting. I'll have a look at the altar rail as well if I get the chance.

Cheers

Brazen

• 2 weeks later...
[quote

Kenny, thank you for the offer which is much appreciated. My needs are :-

A photograph of the name of Violet Ross, QMAAC off the Inverary War Memorial. This is a strange one as she is not recorded with the CWGC or on the York Minster panels. So a check of the inscription on the memorial, too, to see if the names are a Roll of Honour or a listing of all who served from the area (casualty or not).

Lady Lelia Mathilda Samuelson, VAD (died 18/6/15 in France) is buried in B. vault, 3.E. Dumbarton Cemetery

Isabella Dingwall Cousins, British Red Cross (died 16/5/18) is buried in Dollar Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Bessie Sim Hunter, WRNS (died 15/3/19) is buried in plot A.221, Tillicoultry Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Any help that you can give will be much appreciated, Jim

Jim

I visited Inveraray today. Please see the attached. (At least I hope it's attached!). This is the first of 4 or 5 I have. The war memorial has inscriptions on 3 sides. The original files are much larger than these. I'm not too sure how to get them to you. Can you advise?

Regards

Kenny

PS also had a quick look at Dunbarton but I'll need to return their to have a fuller search.

post-52243-1263756013.jpg