Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hello, Jim:

An update for you (and judy7007) regarding the munitions worker Dorothy Maude Mary Crowther. It's confirmed that she lived at 3, All Saints Road, Acton Green, from the Acton Gazette entries.

The microfiche copy is quite poor, so I'll transcribe it for you here and email the photos of the pages in the near future...

Acton Gazette 10th May 1918:

Acton Girl's Public Funeral

A verdict of "Accidental Death" was recorded at an inquest on Saturday, on Dorothy Crowther, aged 16, of 3, All Saints' Road, Acton who died on Thursday from injuries received in an explosion the previous day.

She was a fine girl for her age, and very plucky, and was held in esteem by employers and employed at the important firm where she worked. The funeral took place on Wednesday. The family mourners included her mother, Elsie and Winnie Crowther (sisters), George, Gladys and Ivy Fox (half-brother and sisters), Mr H Crowther (uncle), Mrs E Crowther (aunt), Mrs Millest, Mrs Keefe,Miss Jane Crowther, Miss D Millest (cousins), Mr R Bryant (fiance), Mrs Phillpot, Mrs E Hutt, Miss L Smith, Miss A cox, etc. In the procession were directors and officials of the company and girls and men from all the departments of the works, many of whom carried wreaths etc. subscribed for by workers of both sexes in the various sections. The directors and officials also brought or sent wreaths individually and collectively. The firm's fire brigade, and engine, also followed. A choral service was held in All Saints' Church, at which the Revs. W A Macleod and A J Voisey officiated; and the interment took place at the New Cemetery (Willesden), where the girls, at the close of the service, filed past the open grave.

Deceased's stepfather, Private A Fox, AVC, is serving in Italy and two of her brothers are fighting in Mesopotamia.

The important works was the factory of Messrs du Cros

Acton's Industry

Acton was one of the largest concentrations of industry, particularly automobile, in the South of England

In the latter part of the 19th century, a considerable number of small laundries opened serving the needs of the hotels and the wealthy living in the West End. Heavy industry came in the early 1900’s as companies expanded and relocated to the outskirts of London where there was space to develop, but with good transport links to raw materials, customers and for the work force. The two key areas were Acton Vale, and Park Royal. Acton was described in the 1920's as the "Motor Town" and reported by the Times in 1956 as having one of the two largest concentrations of industry south of Birmingham. In 1932 the motor industry employed 5,400 people, some 80% of the workers in the district.

The industrial areas of Acton Vale became available at the turn of the century, and comprised parts of the common fields which had initially been used for the making of bricks. The area was free of the building restrictions imposed inside the London County Council area, and therefore an attractive and economic site creating a cluster of large developments including Napiers (engines and vehicles), Wilkinson Sword (swords, razors, vehicles), CAV and Lucas (automobile components), Evershed and Vignoles - (electrical test equipment), Du Cros (Cars) and Eastmans (Dye).

Ten years later, a further cluster of industries developed at Park Royal in north Acton, serving the needs of companies at the Vale, on the former site of the Royal Agricultural Society Show (1903-6). The site was used as an airfield from 1909 until 1913. During the War, the site was taken over as a munitions factory. Roads in the area commemorate some of the cars manufactured in the area. Major manufacturers were Guinness (Beer) The Rootes Group and Park Royal Vehicles (bus bodies), and many other automobile component manufacturers. The former Acton Aerodrome, slightly to the south, was also developed by companies that included the Alliance Aeroplane Company (Aircraft) and Renault (Cars).

Du Cros

The company in Acton was founded by William Harvey du Cros (pronounced dewcrow) who was of Hugenot descent. He was the founder and first and only president of the Dunlop Rubber Co. He represented Hastings in the House of Commons 1906 – ‘08, had been chairman of the Royal Automobile Club.

In 1908, he set up a garage and repair works in Warple Way, Acton (with an office in Acton Vale), which was described in the Acton Gazette during 1909 as the “Largest garage and motor repair works in the world”. The business was managed by his sons, William and George du Cros. Above the main frontage to Warple Way, which is still in existence, is said to have been a large electric clock which instead of numerals had 'W & G du Cros Ltd'. The extensive premises covered most of the area bounded by Acton Vale, Larden and Valetta Roads.

(Extracts from) Acton History

There was a further reference to Dorothy in the Gazette Index for 29th June 1921 which mentioned 2All Saints' War Memorial includes a Woman" but the extract itself makes no mention of her whatsoever, instead mentioning that it includes a stained shrapnel torn flag rescued from the sea at the Battle of Jutland..... It also records that it contains the Names of 336 "South Actonians" who FELL in the Great War (despite the entire Borough of Acton sustaining just over 1,000 casualties and many of the Names appear not to match any on the main Acton Borough Roll of Honour.... perhaps the difference are men who served but survived, but the Gazette clearly states "fell"......

Once the weather improves, I'll make a trip out to the Willesden cemetery to locate her grave, but that's all I have for now.

I don't have anything to confirm, but her BROTHER is H Crowther and an H Crowther was killed in the White Lund munitions factory explosion.... Could he have been her father, did her mother remarry, to Mr A Fox and move to Acton, only for her daughter to die in a munitions factory here???

Kevin

What a great update. I was interested and pleased to read all your news. After our 'chance' meeting at All Saints, I have been in touch with Local History at Ealing as you suggested (Dr J O) and after hearing back from him, yesterday I sent him an SAE (probably for all the same info that you've given us!). He told me it was Willesden cemetery Dorothy Crowther was buried at, but in my mind I thought of Willesden Old (where I have been before to find a casualty and, BTW, there is the most most amazing church there - St Mary's so I do want to go back there), but you have the info for Willesden New - which I think is also a fairly old cemetery.

I have also emailed Brent Council for the grave ref but haven't heard back yet but if you are going to further investigate and and find the grave, that is fantastic and frees me up for a few more things I'm involved with (for Jim and a couple of others) - although I do know that I want to visit her grave one day in memory so I'd really appreciate updates on your progress. I do have her death certificate which states her d of d as 2 May 1918 and an inquest was held on 4 May. The 1911 census gives her mother, Sopia as a widow, no brothers with the initial H are mentioned (but then it is a record of is staying there that night). Her baptism (at All Saints' Acton) records her parents as Fred and Sophia Crowther.

Very interesting to read about the factories. I have been in touch with a man who has just finished writing a book on the history of Australian Munitions workers in WWI and I'm finding out lots of new (for me) info. Fascinating. Not much time to sleep really!

best wishes

Judy

And now today I have been informed that the Imperial War Museum has a picture (not photgraph) of Dorothy Crowther's funeral. So I shall follow that up (unless anyone else offers and I am happy if someone is going there and can do that for Jim). I am finding it just a little hard to come to terms with the fact that she is not entitled to a CWGC headstone nor is she on their data base, but I do know that is how it works for UK Munitions Workers whereas Australian Munitions Workers have a CWGC headstone and are recorded on their data base. As posted above, Dorothy was only 16 and she died in hospital of shock from burns received in an explosion at the Munitions Factory where she worked.

Judy

Kevin and Judy. Great work the two of you are doing. We now know a lot more about this poor 16 year-old. I should be able to now get census information about her family. And now we know where she is buried I am hopeful of a photograph of her grave. I already have a photograph of her in her munition smock.

Kevin and Judy. Great work the two of you are doing. We now know a lot more about this poor 16 year-old. I should be able to now get census information about her family. And now we know where she is buried I am hopeful of a photograph of her grave. I already have a photograph of her in her munition smock.

Jim

Can you believe this but today I heard back from Brent Council that (despite the Acton Gazette reporting on Dorothy Crowther's funeral and stating that she was interred in New Willesden Cemetery) the Council has no record of her being buried in Willesden New, Willesden Old, Paddington or any of the cemteries in their council. I've had the same news from Ealing Council in the past when I was searching in the Acton area. You can rest assured that Kevin and I will not give up!

Judy

Jim

Saw your post on page 26 with requirement for Nairn.

What do you require in Nairn?

Stuart

Hello Stuart, Sister Isabel Mackintosh is on the Nairn War Memorial and you have already kindly provided a photograph of her name on the Nairn War Memorial. I am now led to believe that she is buried in a cemetery there and if this is the case I would like a photograph of her headstone, Jim

[quote

Jim

I live near Glasgow and do a bit of hillwalking around Scotland.

My friends and I intend doing a walk near Inverary on Feb 14th, weather (and wife) permitting!

If you still need details for Inverary and it's not too far from our route, we could have a nosey for you.

I could also look for the others near Glasgow (i.e. Dunbarton and the 2 at Clackmannnan) for you but don't know when that may be.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, thank you for the offer which is much appreciated. My needs are :-

A photograph of the name of Violet Ross, QMAAC off the Inverary War Memorial. This is a strange one as she is not recorded with the CWGC or on the York Minster panels. So a check of the inscription on the memorial, too, to see if the names are a Roll of Honour or a listing of all who served from the area (casualty or not).

Lady Lelia Mathilda Samuelson, VAD (died 18/6/15 in France) is buried in B. vault, 3.E. Dumbarton Cemetery

Isabella Dingwall Cousins, British Red Cross (died 16/5/18) is buried in Dollar Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Bessie Sim Hunter, WRNS (died 15/3/19) is buried in plot A.221, Tillicoultry Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Any help that you can give will be much appreciated, Jim

Jim

Please see attached - photograph 1 of 2 for Bessie Sim Hunter at Tillicoultry.

Regards

Kenny

post-52243-1267378267.jpg

[quote

Jim

My friends and I intend doing a walk near Inverary on Feb 14th, weather (and wife) permitting!

If you still need details for Inverary and it's not too far from our route, we could have a nosey for you.

I could also look for the others near Glasgow (i.e. Dunbarton and the 2 at Clackmannnan) for you but don't know when that may be.

Regards

Kenny

A photograph of the name of Violet Ross, QMAAC off the Inverary War Memorial. This is a strange one as she is not recorded with the CWGC or on the York Minster panels. So a check of the inscription on the memorial, too, to see if the names are a Roll of Honour or a listing of all who served from the area (casualty or not).

Lady Lelia Mathilda Samuelson, VAD (died 18/6/15 in France) is buried in B. vault, 3.E. Dumbarton Cemetery

Isabella Dingwall Cousins, British Red Cross (died 16/5/18) is buried in Dollar Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Bessie Sim Hunter, WRNS (died 15/3/19) is buried in plot A.221, Tillicoultry Cemetery, Clackmannanshire.

Jim, sorry wrong way round! Last one was for Isabella Dingwall Cousins.

This is 2nd one for her.

Kenny

post-52243-1267378505.jpg

[quote

Jim

Regards

Kenny

Jim

Bessie Sim Hunter no 1.

Kenny

post-52243-1267378678.jpg

[quote

Jim

Regards

Kenny

Jim

Bessie Sim Hunter no 2.

post-52243-1267378807.jpg

Thank you, Kenny. That's Clackmannanshire now complete, Jim

Jim

Did you get the originals I sent to your e-mail address?

Kenny

• 1 month later...

Time to bring to the top again. Quite a few new locations added - Lancashire, Warwickshire and the USA come to mind. With the advent of this lovely weather (at least in the SW of England) and people venturing out here is my update. As I have tracked down several thousand graves and monuments having just these left is amazing and I would like to see these whittled down even further with your help. Thank you, Pals.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover,

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston)

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Daviot

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down (Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bootle, Caton, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Edenfield, Greater Accrington, Manchester (6 + Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Edmonton (2), Islington, Tottenham (4), Willesden

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SHROPSHIRE, Condover, Shrewsbury,Wrockwardine

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Leatherhead, Thames Ditton

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, British Columbia (3), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Deptford, Edmonton (2), Islington, Tottenham (4), Willesden

Jim

If, by any chance, Deptford refers to S. Hilling, I have that well under way and it is probably best that I 'keep' it as I am phoning the Registrar on 26 April to find out the time he has arranged for me to view the Honour Board and photograph it.

Judy

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Deptford, Edmonton (2), Islington, Tottenham (4), Willesden

Jim

If, by any chance, Deptford refers to S. Hilling, I have that well under way and it is probably best that I 'keep' it as I am phoning the Registrar on 26 April to find out the time he has arranged for me to view the Honour Board and photograph it.

Judy

Judy, You are, of course, right. All I need from Deptford now is the Honour Board and I know that you are well on the case. But it is practicable for me to leave the list complete and amend as I get them. Jim

Jim

That's excellent. I'm hoping to get the photo of the Honour Board photo shortly after the 26th. I see that Islington is still on the list. Is there another casualty there? I was there quite recently as you know so I can easily go back if you can send the details.

If you send me details of Willesden and Edmonton I can look into those too (although if you have any other offers that is fine as it might take me some weeks). I'll check with you before I go.

Judy

Hi Jim

Are you including women killed in the munitions factories?

Paul

Jim

That's excellent. I'm hoping to get the photo of the Honour Board photo shortly after the 26th. I see that Islington is still on the list. Is there another casualty there? I was there quite recently as you know so I can easily go back if you can send the details.

If you send me details of Willesden and Edmonton I can look into those too (although if you have any other offers that is fine as it might take me some weeks). I'll check with you before I go.

Judy

Hello Judy,

You have already been on the case of some of these. I am looking for a photograph of the grave of Dorothy Maud Mary CROWTHER, munition worker, buried in New Cemetery, Willesden. Died 2/5/18. Possible grave unmarked.Marjorie ALLOM, VAD, died 6/11/18, is almost certainly buried somewhere in Willesden, but I have no idea where.

With Edmonton, some more difficult ones. Three munition girls were killed 5/2/19 at the Weir Hall Munition Works, Edmonton. These were Elizabeth BLANCHE, Josephine GOATLEY and Alice Rodway. All three were almost certainly buried locally. And there is also the elusive memorial plaque that was in the North Middlesex Hospital, Edmonton with the name of five nurses on it. It has yet to be traced.

So I think that these will be virtually impossible to get and will have to remain outstanding. Unless you are a female Sherlock Holmes, of course.

Hi Jim

Are you including women killed in the munitions factories?

Paul

Hello Paul, Yes, I am including women killed in munition factories. Their final resting places have proved difficult to trace. Any even then, many do not have headstones and lie in unmarked graves.

Hello Jim,

My retirement is imminent! Expect to do Tottenham next week.

CGM

:D

Lena (Selina) CROWTHER, QAIMNS, died 22/10/16, is buried in the 2nd Ground of Tottenham and Wood Green Cemetery and is one that I need. I know that she is on the screen wall but I already have that. Annie Edith Curtis GARNER, QAIMNS, died 12/3/17, is buried in Tottenham and Wood Green Cemetery; plot C. 5759. Catherine (Nora Catherine) MEIKLE, QAIMNS, died 14/10/18, is buried in the 2nd Ground of Tottenham and Wood Green Cemetery; plot 7301. Both CGM and Judy Reick (of this forum) have both been instrumental in tracking these women and need to be asked if they are looking out photographs for me to save duplication. Also a memorial plaque that once was in Hendon Infirmary has been tracked down by Maggie Tyler and was likely to be installed in Tottenham Hospital. I am wondering if this has now taken place as I need a photograph of it. Regards, Jim.

Also a memorial plaque that once was in Hendon Infirmary has been tracked down by Maggie Tyler and was likely to be installed in Tottenham Hospital. I am wondering if this has now taken place as I need a photograph of it. Regards, Jim.

Hi Jim

As I sent you the photograph of the Hendon Infirmary plaque I take it that you are looking for another photograph of the plaque in its new location at Tottenham. I will make some enquiries and see if it has been moved.

Time to bring to the top again. Quite a few new locations added - Lancashire, Warwickshire and the USA come to mind. With the advent of this lovely weather (at least in the SW of England) and people venturing out here is my update. As I have tracked down several thousand graves and monuments having just these left is amazing and I would like to see these whittled down even further with your help. Thank you, Pals.

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

AYRSHIRE, Crosshill

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover,

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston)

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Isle of Moy

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down (Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bootle, Caton, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Edenford, Greater Accrington, Manchester (4), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton), Inveresk

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane, Perth (Wells Hill)

ROSS-SHIRE, Tain

SHROPSHIRE, Condover, Shrewsbury,Wrockwardine

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Leatherhead,

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, British Columbia (3), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Louth, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

In this list for Lancashire, you quote a place called Edenford. Should this be Edenfield? If so, you can send me details, and I'll endeavour to get what you want.

Paul.

If you are still looking for the Dublin graves I might be able to help, let me know who you are looking for. I can send a bigger image of the one below if required.

post-53649-1270739250.jpg

Jessie McTaggart, 14390, Woman's Royal Air Force, died on the 21st of January 1919. Daughter of Mrs. W. R. McTaggart, of 42/45, South King St., Dublin.