Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim

I was down in Waterford at the weekend and there is what appears to be a fairly new memorial on the river front to two ships that were sunk in December 1917. There was a women lost on each boat, Anne O'Callaghan was lost on the S.S. Formby on 16/12/17 and Elizabeth Phelan was lost on the S.S. Coningbeg on 18/12/17, I assume that you have these two women on your list but wondered if you have a photo of the memorial? If not I can email them to you. Anne O'Callaghan's was the only body found from the two ships and she is buried in a very small village about 15 miles from Waterford, although we found the churchyard despite a very long search we could not find her grave, so I assume it must be unmarked.

Glasnevin Cemetery is erecting and dedicating some more CWGC headstones on Friday, one of which apparently, is for Marion O'Reilly (AKA Reilly) Forewoman Clerk, 49668 QMAAC, who died on 27/10/19, would you like a picture of her headstone.

Regards

Ian Chambers

I was down in Waterford at the weekend and there is what appears to be a fairly new memorial on the river front to two ships that were sunk in December 1917. There was a women lost on each boat, Anne O'Callaghan was lost on the S.S. Formby on 16/12/17 and Elizabeth Phelan was lost on the S.S. Coningbeg on 18/12/17, I assume that you have these two women on your list but wondered if you have a photo of the memorial? If not I can email them to you. Anne O'Callaghan's was the only body found from the two ships and she is buried in a very small village about 15 miles from Waterford, although we found the churchyard despite a very long search we could not find her grave, so I assume it must be unmarked.

Glasnevin Cemetery is erecting and dedicating some more CWGC headstones on Friday, one of which apparently, is for Marion O'Reilly (AKA Reilly) Forewoman Clerk, 49668 QMAAC, who died on 27/10/19, would you like a picture of her headstone.

Ian Chambers

Ian, I have both women in my Register. In 1997 the Formby-Coningbeg Memorial to both boats was unveiled at Adelphi Quay, Waterford by Mary Robinson, President of Ireland and I guess that is what you have found. I have photographs of it. Anne O'Callaghan is in Newtown (All Saints) Catholic Churchyard and perhaps you were looking for a CWGC headstone. In fact it is 7 foot celtic type limestone cross, triple plain kerbs and railings. I have photographs of that too. Marion O' Reilly is presently commemorated by the CWGC on a screen wall in Glasnevin Cemetery. I have a photograph of that. I am surprised if the CWGC are now giving her her own headstone they having always known where she was buried but not placing a headstone before. But delighted if they do. I went to a cemetery in Wales recently and was disappointed that the CWGC had placed three "buried in this cemetery" markers at the entrance instead of the individual graves. So if they do give Marion her own headstone I would like a photograph of it, please. Jim

Hi Jim

We were looking at first for a CWGC headstone but on failing that checked all the names and still couldn't find it, never mind as least you have it.

With regards to Marion, the story relating to this is as follows: there are 208 servicemen/women buried in Glasnevin and I believe the position of all of the graves are known. However, none of them had a CWGC headstone, I believe that it was not thought acceptable/politically correct given the history of the troubles over here to mark the graves with CWGC headstones. Don't forget that in the eyes of many over here at that time (1916/17/18/19/20 etc etc) those that fought in the British Army in the Great War were considered to be traitors. However, feelings have been changing over the last few years and since 2009 the cemetery authorities along with the CGWC have been working to place headstones on each individual grave. 85 headstones had been erected up to November 2010 and I understand another 39 have been erected since then, the details of which have just been released, one of those is Marion. The screen wall of which you talk was tucked away in a corner of the cemetery, however, I believe that this has now been moved to a much more prominent position near the cemetery entrance and that the focus of this years service at the cemetery on 11/11/11 will be the re-dedication of this memorial.

Regards

IanC

Thank you, Ian. An explanation that makes sense. I still don't understand why the CWGC has commemorative stones near the entrance at Ebbw Vale Cemetery stating that Mary Ann Evan's grave (QMAAC)is elsewhere in the cemetery.

The only thing I can think of Jim, is that the authority that administers the cemetery does not have sufficiently detailed plans to be able to pinpoint the exact location of the grave. I was successful last year in having a CWGC headstone placed in Fenny Stratford cemetery for a chap who had died after discharge, the area he was buried did not have any other headstone for the council to use as reference points, so although they had a good idea of the general location they could not pinpoint it exactly, and so his headstone also says 'Buried near this spot'

Regards

Ian

Good evening Jim,

Popped down to Twickenham Cemetery but bad news I'm afraid.

Found the area and with the help of the Cemetery Office (whilst on the phone) located the exact spot but there is no headstone. The office could not

give any extra info as too the connection and I have had a look on ancestry etc, but cannot find a link between the two.

I have attached a couple of photos anyway and if you look at the pic you will see a headstone with a smaller one in front. If you imagine one plot in front

of that one that is the exact location.

post-5914-0-83793600-1320862254.jpg

post-5914-0-93157900-1320862349.jpg

post-5914-0-67914000-1320862160.jpg

Guest graham.ellery

Hi.. Re; Catherine Cook Miller grave in Dunfermline.

Catherine was my Grandmother's sister. She is also commemorated on the Dunfermline war memorial. Catherine was named after her Grandmother who was Catherine Cook. Her name on the nurses memorial at St. Giles was wrong at unveiling. Caroline instead of Catherine and to this day C.C. as her middle initials. I suspect the double C. C. is wrong, part of the sculptors error. She joined the Territorial Nurses towards end of war after her work with Elsie Inglis in Serbia and her nurses so possibly their records not the most accurate and hence error. I have seen her listed as being born in Glasgow and living in Aberdeen on some WW1 sites but pretty sure born in Dunfermline. Possibly nursed in Glasgow and may have enlisted there.

We (family) have her war medals and would have to check but pretty sure the invites to St. Giles/unveiling of war memorial. We have some newspaper cuttings. She had served in Serbia with Elsie Inglis. She was possibly one of team who supported Serbian troops in Russia.

She is also commemorated on the Liverpool Nurses Memorial at Liverpool Cathedral.

If it is possible I would love to have copies of photos you mention. Not sure how to do this yet as hust joined forum group.

Thanks

Hello. have just joined the forum and seen your postings. I live in the nord pas de calais region of France and would be happy to take any photos over here for you

Hi.. Re; Catherine Cook Miller grave in Dunfermline.

Catherine was my Grandmother's sister. She is also commemorated on the Dunfermline war memorial. Catherine was named after her Grandmother who was Catherine Cook. Her name on the nurses memorial at St. Giles was wrong at unveiling. Caroline instead of Catherine and to this day C.C. as her middle initials. I suspect the double C. C. is wrong, part of the sculptors error. She joined the Territorial Nurses towards end of war after her work with Elsie Inglis in Serbia and her nurses so possibly their records not the most accurate and hence error. I have seen her listed as being born in Glasgow and living in Aberdeen on some WW1 sites but pretty sure born in Dunfermline. Possibly nursed in Glasgow and may have enlisted there.

We (family) have her war medals and would have to check but pretty sure the invites to St. Giles/unveiling of war memorial. We have some newspaper cuttings. She had served in Serbia with Elsie Inglis. She was possibly one of team who supported Serbian troops in Russia.

She is also commemorated on the Liverpool Nurses Memorial at Liverpool Cathedral.

If it is possible I would love to have copies of photos you mention. Not sure how to do this yet as hust joined forum group.

Thanks

Graham, pleased to hear from you. Once you have posted five postings you can message other members direct. Over the past couple of months the files of nursing staff has been released on line by the National Archives. I know that this will contain correspondance from Catherine's mother about the misnaming not only on the St. Giles Memorial but on the King's certificate that was issued. The mistake will not have been the sculptor's but that of the authority that provided the information to him. You say that the medals are still with the family. I hope that this includes the Memorial Plaque issued to the next of kin. I would dearly like to know if this was issued incorrectly, too, and would welcome a photograph of it. Catherine did not nurse in Glasgow as far as I am aware but at the West of Fife T.B. Hospital, Dunfermline from 1908 to 1917 when she served with the Scottish Women's Hospital from June 1917 to November 1917 in Russia. Sue Light of this Forum had information on Catherine which she shared with me. Are you aware that through the efforts of the In From The Cold team (very active on this Forum) Catherine's grave was adopted by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in November last year so her grave will be cared for in perpetuity? Jim

Hello. have just joined the forum and seen your postings. I live in the nord pas de calais region of France and would be happy to take any photos over here for you

Thank you for the offer. I don't think and of my French requirements are in your neck of the woods. I need :-

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys,

If any of these are within reach I would be pleased to give you details.

Guest graham.ellery

Graham, pleased to hear from you. Once you have posted five postings you can message other members direct. Over the past couple of months the files of nursing staff has been released on line by the National Archives. I know that this will contain correspondance from Catherine's mother about the misnaming not only on the St. Giles Memorial but on the King's certificate that was issued. The mistake will not have been the sculptor's but that of the authority that provided the information to him. You say that the medals are still with the family. I hope that this includes the Memorial Plaque issued to the next of kin. I would dearly like to know if this was issued incorrectly, too, and would welcome a photograph of it. Catherine did not nurse in Glasgow as far as I am aware but at the West of Fife T.B. Hospital, Dunfermline from 1908 to 1917 when she served with the Scottish Women's Hospital from June 1917 to November 1917 in Russia. Sue Light of this Forum had information on Catherine which she shared with me. Are you aware that through the efforts of the In From The Cold team (very active on this Forum) Catherine's grave was adopted by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in November last year so her grave will be cared for in perpetuity? Jim

Thanks for this. Just getting to grips with the forum format. Not sure on the memorial plaque. Will check with my Mother who holds the family history case. I do know when Catherine's Mum died items were split between different family members. If Mum doesn't have I'll chat to my cousins to see if they have.

Yes the Glasgow thing seems strange. The family were very much Fifers so I would have expected her to have worked locally. The copy of the speech made on her and the unveiling of the Dunfermline War memorial mentions the TB hospital. It is the Edinburgh castle National War Memorial which mentions Glasgow and Aberdeen. Think I need to chat with them on their source for this.

Will keep you up to date on any progress.

Hello Jim (and Graham)

You will recall that I took a picture of Catherine's grave earlier this year. If it is now being cared for by CWGC, then something needs fixed - it was knocked over but lying face up when I took the photographs.

You also asked me by e-mail if I could get a picture of Catherine's name on the War Memorial at Dunfermline.

A friend of mine, David Aitcheson, kindly agreed to do this for me and has done so. I will e-mail those pictures to you today.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim (and Graham)

You will recall that I took a picture of Catherine's grave earlier this year. If it is now being cared for by CWGC, then something needs fixed - it was knocked over but lying face up when I took the photographs.

You also asked me by e-mail if I could get a picture of Catherine's name on the War Memorial at Dunfermline.

A friend of mine, David Aitcheson, kindly agreed to do this for me and has done so. I will e-mail those pictures to you today.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, The Dunfermline War Memorial photographs came safely through to me. Thank you Kenny and David. That is Dunfermline complete for me again (unless any others turn up).

Time for an update of my needs. Australia has now come in with a few more, as has the United States. But nice to see a few home country ones falling away.

United Kingdom

BERWICKSHIRE, Bunkle (possible)

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peter

CORNWALL, Pendeen

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough

GWYNEDD, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, East Woodhay, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 4 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chart Sutton, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Louth

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Sheen, Enfield (Freezywater), Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WEST LOTHIAN, Bangour

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, North Allerton

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Melbourne, Stirling East, Swanwick, Sydney

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon, Co. Clare (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Mount Upton, Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

• 1 month later...

Further update of my needs. If anyone can help me reduce these I will be most grateful.

United Kingdom

BERWICKSHIRE, Bunkle (possible)

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peter

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough

GWYNEDD, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, East Woodhay, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Armagh, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 4 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chart Sutton, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Louth

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Ham, East Sheen, Enfield (Freezywater), Greenwich, Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN, Edinburgh

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WEST LOTHIAN, Bangour

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Bilton, Harrogate

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Jim

What do you require from Louth, Lincolnshire?

Terry

Jim

What do you require from Louth, Lincolnshire?

Terry

Hello Terry, Maud Helena ALLWOOD, VAD, died on the 11th November 1918 of pneumonia and was buried in Louth Cemetery. She was aged 34. Unfortunately I do not have a plot number. Jim

What do you need from Camberwell, Jim? I'll be in the area over this coming weekend.

I am after a photograph of the grave of Bertha Vinter (possibly Vintner), TFNS, who died 30/5/18 and is buried in plot 101.25354, Camberwell (Forest Hill Road) Cemetery. Andy Pepper of this forum has tried to find her without success but did find her name on the screen wall. It is possible that the CWGC decided to just name her on the screen and ignore the actual grave but I would welcome one last look to see.

What do you need from Camberwell, Jim? I'll be in the area over this coming weekend.

I have now got a map of the cemetery showing exactly where she should be. Have messaged you for an email address so that I can send it along.

Cheers, Jim - have seen the screens in Camberwell Old Cemetery so the plan should give me my bearings. It's one of the grand old cemeteries, with large monuments and wide walkways.

What is the name you are looking for in East Woodhay, Hants?

Phyllis Guilemard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33894481@N04/5658600823/ - not my photo but many flickr contributors would he happy to give you permission to use their photos. If not I can easily nip over a get a photo of the war memorial - is there a grave as well?

NB East Woodhay has two memorials, one in each of the main settlements in the parish: East End and Woolton Hill. The picture is from East End, Woolton Hill (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33894481@N04/5647528008/in/photostream/) does not seem to have any women.