Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Steve, She led a rather exciting life.She was privately educated in Glasgow and when her parents died she moved to Kent. She was an early suffragette and wrote many books. Her war service saw her helping out Mrs St. Clair Stobert's Ambulance Unit in Belgium, Russia, Armenia and Persia until her health gave out. She left 25 yearly diaries the latter ones covering her wartime exploits. She died at her Park Lane home.

Jim, I presume from this that you had already covered her, so do you have all you need?

I just Googled her once I realised she was well known and she certainly had quite a life.

The vicar of Thanington rang this morning. He has a vague memory of someone looking a few years ago, and although he felt it was unlikely he would find anything new, he is going to look through his records and let me know. The one positive is that he thinks that if he has no record, the archivist at Canterbury Cathedral should hold it. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey!

Steve.

Hello Steve,

This is worth bearing in mind:

The (Canterbury) Cathedral Archives closed on 31st January 2012 for essential building works.

These are expected to last for seven months. The Dean and Chapter apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please see our information for researchers for information about alternative research services, and access to the holdings of the Cathedral Library during this closure.

See HERE

CGM

It's been a while so a further update. More US ones added as well as some UK VADs whose graves have recently been discovered.

United Kingdom

YORKSHIRE, Bilton, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

Jim

I did the one in Bilton for you a few weeks ago, unless you have found another one.

Is the one in Albany Nellie Mabel Saw ? if so I took this in 2010 when I visited. I will send it following your confirmation

Peter

Hello Steve,

The (Canterbury) Cathedral Archives closed on 31st January 2012 for essential building works.

These are expected to last for seven months. The Dean and Chapter apologises for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please see our information for researchers for information about alternative research services, and access to the holdings of the Cathedral Library during this closure.

See HERE

CGM

Isn't that typical. I'll contact the Uni as soon as poss and take it from there.

Steve.

Jim, I presume from this that you had already covered her, so do you have all you need?

I just Googled her once I realised she was well known and she certainly had quite a life.

The vicar of Thanington rang this morning. He has a vague memory of someone looking a few years ago, and although he felt it was unlikely he would find anything new, he is going to look through his records and let me know. The one positive is that he thinks that if he has no record, the archivist at Canterbury Cathedral should hold it. Slowly, slowly, catchee monkey!

Steve.

Hello Steve, Yes, I have researched this woman and have photographs of her grave thanks to Graham Huckstepp of this forum. I also have photographs of her and one of her books. I cannot think that I need anything else but never say never as new information always turns up.

Jim

I did the one in Bilton for you a few weeks ago, unless you have found another one.

Is the one in Albany Nellie Mabel Saw ? if so I took this in 2010 when I visited. I will send it following your confirmation

Peter

Peter, You are right. You completed my Bilton requirement and I bismally failed to amend my record. Now done so. There is still a possible at Bilton (Irene Bradley, munition worker) who was living in Bilton in 1911 but so far the location of her grave is not known. Yes, Albany, Australia requirement is Nellie Saw. Strangely, I have photographs of her, the Albany War Memorial, the Albany Avenue of Honour, the Albany Weslyan Church Honour Board and the Denmark Honour Board but not of her grave. So I should be most grateful to receive a copy, Jim

Hello Steve,

See HERE

CGM

Jim, I rang the Uni yesterday and they confirm they have the parish records, so I will need to book an appointment to look at them. Unfortunately I may not be able to go this week, but will probably be able to fit it in next week. I don't suppose a few more days will make too much difference!

Regards,

Steve.

Jim,

I don't know if you found your plan for Margaret Durno at Greenwich, but I took a stab at it today and hopefully have the right plot.

If you send me your contact details I'll forward the photos to you.

Phil

PS I notice that has been some past interest on the Scottish War Memorial Project forum, of which some members are also on GWF. If there is still an interest feel free to contact me

Hello Steve,

See HERE

CGM

Hi Jim, I've finally got a date for Canterbury. I've got an appointment on Thursday to look at the parish records in the Templeman Library at Canterbury university. If I can find what is needed, I will then go to Thanington and get some pictures. If we get lucky you could have something Thursday evening.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Steve.

Jim, I went to Canterbury this morning and the very helpful people in the Templeman library at the university helped me find the burial details for Victoria Florence Whiddett (not Whidgett). Unfortunately the information was very sketchy, so did not prove too helpful.

The only new information gave an address which looked like 2 Lunchfield Cottages and that she was buried on 5th July by JW Fitch, the officiating minister. The register entry is No 312 on page 39, in case anyone wants to look again.

There was no date or cause of death and no indication of a location in the church yard. The library staff told me that Canterbury Cathedral archives hold other records, although what that consists of is unclear. I was given a contact name and number for a direct line to the archives, but there was no answer when I rang. Calling at the Cathedral later, I was told that during the renovation she is only working part-time, so I will try again tomorrow morning to try to establish what they hold, even if it is currently unavailable.

From there I went to St Nicholas Church at Thanington. Having forgotten the camera (old age catching up), my wife obligingly took a number of photos of the church (inpossible to get a clear shot due to some very large yews) and several interesting gravestones, on her mobile. We were unable to find Miss Whiddett's grave, so it would appear to be unmarked, although there were a few from 1917, in two areas, which could narrow down the likely site of her plot.

We now have the problem of downloading the photos, as the phone cable has been mislaid! I will let you know if/when we can access the pictures, as if you are willing, it may be better to send them to you direct. One other wrinkle; we are away from Sunday for four weeks, so if no joy before, I'm afraid it will be another month before I will get a chance to deliver.

Regards,

Steve Gray.

Thank you, Steve. Whilst her home was in Thanington she was lodging in Faversham whilst she was working at the munition works and, indeed, may have lived there before that. I am wondering if a burial at Thanington is a red herring and that she may have been interred at Faversham.

Thank you, Steve. Whilst her home was in Thanington she was lodging in Faversham whilst she was working at the munition works and, indeed, may have lived there before that. I am wondering if a burial at Thanington is a red herring and that she may have been interred at Faversham.

I must say I don't know about how these things work, but I would have thought if she is in the Thanington burial register, she would surely have to be buried in Thanington. I could understand having a service locally, but if she was buried in Faversham, then there shouldn't be any record for Thanington.

I looked at Google maps for Thanington last night to see if there was a mention of Lunchfield Cottages, or anything like it (although that could now refer to Faversham) and of course there was nothing. However, there was the local headquarters of the Kent Family History Society there, so I emailed them in case they could throw some light on the address or the name. Still awaiting a reply from them. I did get a reply early this morning from Canterbury Cathedral archives. Cressida Williams said they do hold more and she believes it may give us what we want. She can only make it available on a Tuesday and if it is fairly urgent (which I'm sure it is!). I replied that I would be away for a month but that I would let you know. So if you can't get to Canterbury yourself, is there another member who could take it on?

I'm getting more interested in this as time goes on, so I would be keen to know where you first came across her and how you know she is from Faversham. I'm more than willing to continue after my holiday, if it can wait, and come what may I really now need to get to the bottom of the mystery, so please keep me in the loop. Still no joy with the photos, but if the news from the Cathedral is good then they may be redundant anyway.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve, I wasn't aware that she was in the Thanington burial register. In that case she will be in Thanington. I googled Lunchfield Cottages, Thanington and got one response so someone else believes that Lunchfield Cottages existed. Her name, as V. Whidgett is on the York Minster panels under munition workers. But some kind sole provided a newspaper report which stated the following :- “An inquiry was held into the death of Victoria Whiddett, aged 18, whose home was in Thanington. She had been working since February at a munitions factory in Faversham. On 11 June the factory surgeon found her suffering from toxic jaundice. She was admitted to the Faversham nursing home where she died a few days later. The manager of the factory expressed the firm's sympathies with the deceased's father, to whom, he said, the war had brought much distress, he having also lost two sons and a son-in-law”. Jim

Steve, I wasn't aware that she was in the Thanington burial register. In that case she will be in Thanington. I googled Lunchfield Cottages, Thanington and got one response so someone else believes that Lunchfield Cottages existed. Her name, as V. Whidgett is on the York Minster panels under munition workers. But some kind sole provided a newspaper report which stated the following :- "An inquiry was held into the death of Victoria Whiddett, aged 18, whose home was in Thanington. She had been working since February at a munitions factory in Faversham. On 11 June the factory surgeon found her suffering from toxic jaundice. She was admitted to the Faversham nursing home where she died a few days later. The manager of the factory expressed the firm's sympathies with the deceased's father, to whom, he said, the war had brought much distress, he having also lost two sons and a son-in-law". Jim

Sorry Jim, on re-reading my earlier posting I hadn't actually mentioned the burial register; and I thought I was being so thorough! Thanks for this latest info. I have had a reply from The Kent Family History Society, which I am having problems pasting in. I have tried three times with no success, so I will have to precis it or send it as a PM. It seems the Whiddett family moved around a bit, but it does tie up a few loose ends and if KFHS find any more they will pass it on. If I am able, I will keep up whilst I'm away, and forward anything I may find.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Sorry Jim, on re-reading my earlier posting I hadn't actually mentioned the burial register; and I thought I was being so thorough! Thanks for this latest info. I have had a reply from The Kent Family History Society, which I am having problems pasting in. I have tried three times with no success, so I will have to precis it or send it as a PM. It seems the Whiddett family moved around a bit, but it does tie up a few loose ends and if KFHS find any more they will pass it on. If I am able, I will keep up whilst I'm away, and forward anything I may find.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Steve, Information safely received using the PM system, Regards, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jeanie Annie YOUNG. She is commemorated on the St. Margaret’s panel on the right side of the entrance to Juniper Green Parish Church, Lanark Road, Edinburgh, EH14. She is also the last named on the second panel on the memorials that are either side of the pulpit.

Marjorie Eva May EDWARDS, VAD. Her name is on the Knockbain War Memorial.

Hello Jim

An update for you.

I visited Bangour Church, which is in the grounds of the old hospital. No luck in getting in - it's all boarded up and the doors padlocked. I took a picture of the outside, in case it was of any use. I will send this by e-mail to you.

Haven't managed Juniper Green yet.

I passed Knockbain at the weekend and have got pictures of the war memorial for you. Will mail these to you too.

Regards

Kenny Bell

Kenny, photographs safely received. What a marvelous building steeped in history. Such a shame that it is boarded up. Hopefully the memorial inside that I need a photograph of remains safe and intact. I wonder who has the key for access.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, You are right. You completed my Bilton requirement and I bismally failed to amend my record. Now done so. There is still a possible at Bilton (Irene Bradley, munition worker) who was living in Bilton in 1911 but so far the location of her grave is not known. Yes, Albany, Australia requirement is Nellie Saw. Strangely, I have photographs of her, the Albany War Memorial, the Albany Avenue of Honour, the Albany Weslyan Church Honour Board and the Denmark Honour Board but not of her grave. So I should be most grateful to receive a copy, Jim

Jim

Apologies that I did not keep tabs on this thread. I have sent the photos today.

Regards

Peter

Jim

Apologies that I did not keep tabs on this thread. I have sent the photos today.

Regards

Peter

Peter, Photographs safely received. Thank you. As to Irene Bradley, munition worker, I have a photograph of her grave (I think, headstone laid across the grave) from RT and am in correspondance with Pighills as to if there might be confusion with several Irene Bradleys to choose from.

Hello Jim

You mentioned in an earlier post that you were looking for a picture at Juniper Green - "Jeanie Annie YOUNG. She is commemorated on the St. Margaret’s panel on the right side of the entrance to Juniper Green Parish Church, Lanark Road, Edinburgh, EH14. She is also the last named on the second panel on the memorials that are either side of the pulpit".

I visited recently but unfortunately I couldn't gain access to the church as there was a meeting that night. However, I manged to speak to one of the "hallkeepers" who lives directly across the road from the church.

I indicated to him what I was after and he kindly agreed to take a picture of the panels and send them to me. However, bad news I'm afraid.

He has replied to me and assures me that Jeannie Anne Young's name does not appear on any of the panels within the church.

Looks liks a dead end for this one.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny, I am sorry if I am a doubting Thomas on this one. As you point out I have a note that Jeannie A. Young is commemorated on the St. Margaret's panel on the right side of the entrance to Juniper Green Parish Church, Lanark Road, Edinburgh, EH14. She is the last named on the second panel on the memorials that are either side of the pulpit. She is listed as "Jeannie A. Young - war nurse". Reading this I think that I must be referring to two memorials. One outside on the gate pillar and the other inside the church beside the pulpit. Incidently I already have a photograph of one of the memorials on the gate pillar that relates to Constance Steel but this is in such low definition that it is not much use to me so I need another. BUT I wonder if I have got muddled with Jeannie Affleck Young who is commemorated at Currie Kirk. Looking at the Scottish War Memorial Project site Malcolm Fergusson has taken photographs of these and, low and behold, the last entry on panel two shows "Jeannie A. Young - war nurse". If Malcolm sees this perhaps he could confirm if the memorials are either side of the pulpit thereby confirming my error. For the moment I need the two photographs of the memorial at the entrance to Juniper Green Parish Church.

Hello Jim

Juniper Green Parish Church, as far as I can tell, was once known as St Andrews. It was amalgamated with St Margarets to become Juniper Green. St Margarets is now flats and only the gable end of the hall remains.

Unless they have been removed, there are no gate pillars at Juniper Green. (This is from memory and also checking Google Streetview). Are they perhaps at Currie Parish Church (St Kentigern's), which is just along the road?

So.....

I'll gladly have a nosey for Constance Steel for you. As I say, it may be at Currie, just along the road. If you could possibly send me a copy of the picture you have, this may help me in tracking it down. (kenny.bellATovi.com) (replace AT with @, of course!)

As for the pictures at Juniper Green, my contact there has promised to take pictures of the memorials there and forward them to me.

Are there, then, 2 Jeannie A Young's?

Regards

Kenny

My understanding is that Juniper Green Parish Church was formed from St. Andrew’s Church when St. Margaret's Church was demolished to make way for a block of retirement flats. Juniper Green Parish Church seems to be the post-runner of the churches. I have a note that she is commemorated on the St. Margaret’s panel on the right side of the entrance to Juniper Green Parish Church, Lanark Road, Edinburgh, EH14. She is under the 1917 section and reads "Nurse Constance M. Steele - Bradford War Hospital". The photograph that I require is here :-

http://warmemscot.s4...php?t=510 and is the 10th posting down. Malcolm Fergusson has allowed me to use this one but is in so low a definition that it is unreadable. Hence my need for another, better one. And, yes, there are two Jeanie A. Youngs. Jeanie Affleck Young was a nurse from Currie who died at Bangour on 15th January 1919, aged 28. Jeanie Annie Young was from Morningside, Edinburgh and died 6th June 1921, aged 55. The first one is commemorated in Currie Kirk and is buried in the kirkyard. The second one is the one commemorated on the memorial in the Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour (closed, boarded up and seems unpenetratable) and is commemorated on the Juniper Green panel. Having two with the same name dying at Bangour may mean that my information may still be skewed but they are different women as can be seen by ages and dates of death. Just a bit more research needed to check the Bangour connection.

Jim

My contact has sent me a copy of the boards in Juniper Green Parish Church. I will e-mail these to you tonight. Credit for the photographs should go to Ian Marshall.

The St Margaret's panel shows Nurse C M Steell. ( I photographed her memorial stone for you at Colinton).

However, no Jeannie A Young on either of the boards.

As for Jeannie Affleck Young at Currie Parish Church memorial, do you have one of that? If not, I'll see what I can do.

As a follow on to Jeannie A Young (Bangour Memorial), I've had another nosey at the pictures I can see on the web relating to Bangour Hospital Church.

It appears that the church was last officially open at some point in 2004/5 for an open day but has been closed since. Others have posted pictures on sites such as flickr, however, it appears these may have been obtained "unofficially", for want of a better phrase.

In the pictures I have seen, you can see the names of Jeannie A Young and Isabella D Cousins. Not much help, but we won't give up hope yet!

Regards

Kenny

Jim,

With regard to a photo of the memorial in Bangour Hospital, I will e-mail you a copy direct if you give me your e-mail address. This photo was taken by a member of West Lothian Council during an open day a few years ago. Perhaps the same one Kenny mentions above. I tried reducing the photo to put it on the forum, but with no luck. The church at Bangour Hospital was built as a war memorial to the patients who died. There is apparently no list of their names. The memorial in the photograph is to the staff of Bangour Hospital who died. Not all are medical staff, the list includes at least one stone mason,and not all died in the Hospital. The church is an impressive building, as Kenny says. I am in the process of writing a booklet on those mentioned on the Bangour memorial, and am especially interested in the women mentioned. There is no cemetery at Bangour, and Minnie Mair wasn't buried anywhere close. She is probably buried in Bunkle and Preston Parish, where there are apparently 3 cemeteries.

Regards,

Alf McM