Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi JIm,

Didnt see your relpy until too late, I will be in the area again tomorrow so it wont be a problem to get it then.

Have you seen this - http://www.findagrav...1&PIpi=46252908

Ian

Hello Ian, This is one that I missed. Strangely the person who took it is Geoff Gillon who kindly provided me with a photograph of Christine Chattey's grave. I must contact him.

Jim,

I have a good one for you. Sisters named on the SAME military headstone.

Telephonist Harriet Hawkesworth Drewry and Telephonist Dorothy Marjorie Drewry

and then two sisters who died within 3 days of each other, both members of the Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps

Betsy Cary and Hilda Cary

Unfortunately I havent been able to find out ANY further details about any of the 4 women named.

I have also photographed nearly every military grave in Lincolnshire, so if you have any names who's final resting place is in God's Own Country, feel free to ask.

I am aware of both sets of sisters and have photographs of their graves. Have you found any of these ? :-

Marjorie Adeline GRUNDY, member South Lincs Reserve VAD, died 4th 1/4 1918 at Brighton.

Beatrice Mary HODGSON, Lincoln 38/VAD, died 29/12/19. As well as her grave I understand that she has a memorial to her in a Lincoln church

Dorothy Lucy HOWELL, nurse, died 1918, her name is on a scroll (photo needed) inside a church in Blyton. Possibly buried in the same place although someone has looked for me without success.

Lucy THURLBY, VAD, death registered at Sleaford in 3rd 1/4 1919.

Nellie WILLSON, QAIMNS, name on two scrolls in St. Michaels Church, Billinghay (needed). She is buried in the cemetery there but a search has yet to find her so possibly unmarked.

• 2 weeks later...

An update.

An update. Until any new graves/memorials appear for me I am pleased to have Lothian complete. I thought that Kent was also complete when Thanington could be moved no further (unmarked grave) but Boxley has come on board as a new one. I have added Dursley, Gloucestershire and London (Knightsbridge) as memorials have been found there. The grave of a VAD has been found in Southampton. It is disappointing that more inroads cannot be made into Lancashire.

United Kingdom

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Dursley

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Old Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 2 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chevening, Chiselhurst

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Ham, East Sheen, Enfield (Freezywater), Greenwich, Kensal Green, Knightsbridge, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys,Saint Amand les Aux

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal x 2, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Trenton), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Think we're almost there with Harrogate, assuming there's only Knapton left on your list - just waiting for my brother to get back from his hols and get a groundplan for Harlow.

Hi there Verricos2009.

I photographed Vivian Knapton for Jim a couple of years ago, the gravestone is laid down for safety reasons.

The thing that nobody can find is the memorial that was in the church, which became redundant and demolished.

Just trying to save you an un nessary trip.

Cheers Roger.

Lancs: is this the one in Liverpool?

D

Not sure what your comment means. These are my Lancashire needs.

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

Not sure if any of these are suburbs of Liverpool.

Jim

All the Lancs places are out of reach for me at present except perhaps Walton. If you send me details of what you want I will see if I can do it.

D

Daggers, The walton church St Marys is on county road near the fly over. I visited it, all the grave stones are flat, but according to records the grave was unmarked and they do not say where, There are no records on site all at Liverpool record office, I did send Jim copys of the correspondence I had with them, Maybe general view of the churchyard would suffice?

regards

John

Daggers/John - I am looking for a photograph of the grave of Eliza KENNEDY, Mercantile Marine who is buried in Walton (St. Mary's) churchyard. CWGC has her listed on the Tower Hill War Memorial and the last that I had heard representation was being made to the CWGC to have her actual grave put under their care. This being the case, I had assumed that her grave had been identified in the churchyard.

Jim

A friend may be visiting Dungannon soon. If they do, I'll ask about a photograph of the war memorial there. Meantime, did you know of this site: http://www.dungannonwardead.co.uk/memorial.asp?memorialid=28&sortid=1

Regards

Kenny

A very interesting website. My three women are on there including the inigma of Nurse Shortt of whom I can find no information. My needs from Dungannon are all on the War Memorial :-

Emily GRAY, QAIMNS (seems to show as Cray)

Alicia WATT, QMAAC

Nurse A SHORTT

Hi Jim,

I'm not too mobile at the moment (gammy leg) but when I am back up on my feet I may be able to help out with the Londonderry ladies. Best that you let me have all your Northern Ireland needs - just in case - and, since I live less than 10 miles from the border, let me have the Donegal ladies also.

Regards,

Ronald

P.S. Thanks again for the coins and notes last week! What a co-incidence! I just joined the forum on Saturday!

Hi Jim.

Who do you need at East Haddon.

Are you aware or need the lady who died by a Zeppelin Bomb in Northampton gravestone

noting her 2 children who also died.

Sandy

Also do you have Sister Adams who died in the war of Flu from Northants.

Sandy

Hi Jim.

Just answered my own question on the East Haddon grave if it is for Muriel Mary Graham.

Will e-mail it to you.

Sandy

Hi Jim,

I can almost certainly help with any photos you need in Derby and Derbyshire. Can you let me know if there are any places you still need?

Kind regards

Richard

Hi Jim.

Just answered my own question on the East Haddon grave if it is for Muriel Mary Graham.

Will e-mail it to you.

Sandy

Sandy, You've got it. I need a photograph of Muriel Mary Graham's grave in St. Mary the Virgin churchyard, East Haddon. I also need photographs of her name of the Barford War Memorial and also on a memorial screen in St. Peter's church, Barford. I know nothing about a Sister Adams from Northants and would welcome more information. Jim

Hi Jim,

I can almost certainly help with any photos you need in Derby and Derbyshire. Can you let me know if there are any places you still need?

Kind regards

Richard

Richard, I thought that I had one at Buxton but this seems now to be sorted. But thank you for the offer, Jim

later - Winifred Mary Steele, QMAAC, is on a memorial in the Post Office (I have). But my records show that her name is also recorded on a memorial in a Derby Methodist church. If you stumble over the latter I should be most grateful for a photograph.

Hi Jim.

Have sent the photograph although you may get a better one of Muriel's headstone.

Also sent article about Sister Adams.

If you want her headstone let me know.

Sandy

Richard, I thought that I had one at Buxton but this seems now to be sorted. But thank you for the offer, Jim

later - Winifred Mary Steele, QMAAC, is on a memorial in the Post Office (I have). But my records show that her name is also recorded on a memorial in a Derby Methodist church. If you stumble over the latter I should be most grateful for a photograph.

No problem Jim, I will check my files and see if I have a photograph of the memorial in question. Do you have a photograph of Sister Gumley's name from the memorial in St. Alkmund's Church in Derby at all?

Kind regards

Richard

No problem Jim, I will check my files and see if I have a photograph of the memorial in question. Do you have a photograph of Sister Gumley's name from the memorial in St. Alkmund's Church in Derby at all?

Kind regards

Richard

Richard, I do not have a photograph of her name off the memorial and would welcome receiving one, Jim

jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk