Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

hi jim,

i will be in plymouth for the day on monday, so just let me know whay you need and ill happily get it for you.

i also see wandsworth is on the list as i am originally from there and have family there i should be able to help there too.

rob

Rob, thank you for coming forward.

PLYMOUTH :- I live in South Devon and have undertaken all of my requirements in the South West. My reason for listing Plymouth is because the CWGC had accepted Trinnette Taylor into remembrance in April 2012 and I appreciate that some time will be required in getting her name on the Plymouth Naval Memorial. The memorial is on The Hoe. I rarely go to Plymouth and would appreciate someone looking to see if she has been added yet and if so provide me with a photograph of it.

WANDSWORTH :- Rosina Harriett Minnie Hucks, Women's Forage Corp (died 12/10/18). Her name is on the screen wall in Wandsworth (Streatham) Cemetery. If you can find plot D.161 a photograph of this greeny space, too, please, as that is where she is actually buried.

Gladys Im-Thurn, Queen's nurse (died 4/8/17), is buried in Block B, plot 206, in Wandsworth (Putney Vale) cemetery. Whilst I have a photograph of her grave marker (I will happily accept another) I believe that behind the grave is a family marker in the form of a cross which also includes her name.

Louisa France Latham, QMAAC (died 7/5/18) is buried in plot B.277, Wandsworth (Streatham) Cemetery. I have a low definition photograph and would like to have a higher pixel one.

Hi Jim, I've not been keeping up with this thread but looking back a page it seems you still have 3 in Kent to get. I will be going to London on Sunday and may be able to call at Horton Kirby on the way back. If you can send details of all 3 I will try to get to them when I have the chance.

Steve.

Hi Jim, I've not been keeping up with this thread but looking back a page it seems you still have 3 in Kent to get. I will be going to London on Sunday and may be able to call at Horton Kirby on the way back. If you can send details of all 3 I will try to get to them when I have the chance.

Steve.

Steve, thank you for coming forward. My Kent requirements are :-

CHEVENING Ivy Maude SNARTT, VAD, died 9/9/15 aged 18. She was buried in St. Botolph's Churchyard, Chevening Road, Chevening. Her brother, William Edwin Snartt (aged 10), joined her in October 1915. I don't know if she is on the local war memorial but if you see it perhaps you could have a quick look.

CHISLEHURST Margaret Janson BIRKETT, red cross nurse, died 16/12/14, aged 25. She is buried in Chislehurst Parish Churchyard. Also a look at the war memorial if handy. Her brother was also a casualty.

HORTON KIRBY This is a very recent discovery. Nora Norris CROFTON, nurse, died 30/10/18, aged 27. She is buried in Horton Kirby Cemetery.

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. Essex updated and Kent and Dorset cleared.

United Kingdom
ABERDEENSHIRE, Monymusk
ANGUS, Forfar, Montrose
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin
BORDERS, Wilton
DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth
ESSEX, East Ham, West Hanningfield
FIFE, Lundin
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea
GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial), Southampton (Old Cemetery),

HERTFORDSHIRE, Redbourn

KENT, Ashford
IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon - Emily Gray when CWGC headstone installed)
LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Aughton, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Littleborough, Mellor, Southport, Thornham, Walton
LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green (including unmarked plots), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden
NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
PERTHSHIRE, Perth
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Lowestoft
SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton x2), Weybridge
SUSSEX, Arlington
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Great Alne, Kenilworth, Longbridge
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)
YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels
CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec
FRANCE, Cannes (Alpes Maritimes), Cher, Estaires (2), Froyennes, Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Lille, Menton, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal x 2, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte
U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)
YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Hi again Jim,

Whats the Cheltenham, Gloucs one ? I can do that.

Regards,

Simon.

Hi again Jim,

Whats the Cheltenham, Gloucs one ? I can do that.

Regards,

Simon.

Simon, My mistake. Should have been, Wiltshire, Chippenham. A nasty one, anyway, as the cemetery in Chippenham is currently unknown. Still searching for her. Thanks for the offer, though. Much appreciated, Jim

Hello Jim

What do you need at Wilton, BORDERS?

Also Dunbar, East Lothian?

As usual, can't promise but I'll put them on my "to do" list. I'm on holiday over the next 2 weeks, so, if I'm at a loose end....

Also, haven't forgotten about Perth!

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

What do you need at Wilton, BORDERS?

Also Dunbar, East Lothian?

As usual, can't promise but I'll put them on my "to do" list. I'm on holiday over the next 2 weeks, so, if I'm at a loose end....

Also, haven't forgotten about Perth!

Regards

Kenny

BORDERS, Wilton - The name of Louisa JORDAN, VAD, is on the Wilton Church War Memorial. She died 6/3/15 in Serbia. I also need her name on the Buckhaven War Memorial.

EAST LOTHIAN, Dunbar - Violet Thomasina FRAZER, Serbian Relief Fund, died 9/3/19. Possibly as Fraser as that was her true name but Frazer used on the York Minster panels. Her name is on the Dunbar War Memorial.

Thanks, Kenny.

Hi Jim and Welshdoc,

I have emailed the Llandough Baptist Church secretary, Mrs Poole about a week ago, I have also phoned but got no answer,

so she may be on holiday.

If I get anywhere with her I'll get the photo for you Jim.

All the best

Cam.

Hello Jim.

Doing my noseying as usual before I go searching, I found this -

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=6680

There was a Wilton Church of Scotland in Glasgow. Also, somewhere on the same site, I noted that there is a Maryhill connection for Louisa. Maryhill is in Glasgow.

So, I believe the memorial is in the Kelvin Stevenson Memorial Church in Glasgow. A lot nearer for me!

Regards

Kenny

Thank you, welshdoc, Cam and Kenny. Cam will hopefully nail the Llandough one. Kenny, I think that you have found the Louisa Jordan one. I don't quite understand why the Wilton Church is so named if it is in Glasgow rather than the place of that name in the Borders. It seems to be on Wilton Road so maybe it was originally Wilton Road Church and through usage the Road bit got dropped off. Luckily you have done your homework before setting off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

Re: Violet Fraser

Visited Dunbar today. I'll get the photos of the war memorial off to you tonight.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny, Safely received. Thank you, Jim

• 1 month later...

Hello Jim

Please check your email for Louisa Jordan, Wilton Church Memorial.

Visited Kelvin Stevenson Memorial Church in Glasgow today and managed to get in.

The Wilton Memorial IS within Kelvin Stevenson.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

Please check your email for Louisa Jordan, Wilton Church Memorial.

Visited Kelvin Stevenson Memorial Church in Glasgow today and managed to get in.

The Wilton Memorial IS within Kelvin Stevenson.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, Safely received and well up to your usual photographic standard. If you fancy getting a photograph of her grave (also wanted) I have her grave plot reference. Oh, it would mean a trip to Yugoslavia. Very pleasant this time of year. Kind regards, Jim.

For the rest of you here is an update (come on you Lancashire people) :-

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Monymusk

ANGUS, Forfar, Montrose

ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

ESSEX, East Ham

FIFE, Buckhaven, Lundin

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial), Southampton (Old Cemetery),

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast and Killead), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon - Emily Gray when CWGC headstone installed)

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Littleborough, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green (including unmarked plots), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford

PERTHSHIRE, Perth

SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Lowestoft

SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead,

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Great Alne, Kenilworth, Longbridge

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

BELGIUM, Brussels

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec

FRANCE, Cannes (Alpes Maritimes), Cher, Estaires (2), Froyennes, Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Lille, Menton, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Antrim (Killead), Co. Donegal x 2, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Hi Jim,

Who is it that you require at Edgemond, Shropshire. If you let me know I can call in that way on my way home from work one afternoon

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the offer. I don't believe that you can help me (yet). The grave of Annie Ruff is in Edgmond cemetery. She was a QMAAC member who died on the 5th December 1918. Whilst her name is on the Edgmond War Memorial there is some doubt as to whether she was still in the QMAAC when she died or if she had previously resigned because of pregnancy. A group of enthusiasts are trying to get her unmarked grave recognised but to date I don't know what progress has been made. Jim

Dave, Thanks for the offer. I don't believe that you can help me (yet). The grave of Annie Ruff is in Edgmond cemetery. She was a QMAAC member who died on the 5th December 1918. Whilst her name is on the Edgmond War Memorial there is some doubt as to whether she was still in the QMAAC when she died or if she had previously resigned because of pregnancy. A group of enthusiasts are trying to get her unmarked grave recognised but to date I don't know what progress has been made. Jim

OK Jim, I'll hang fire, but if you do need anything then just let me know.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Terry, This would be K. Christine Jay, QAMNS for India who died on the 12th August 1916 on board the Hospital Ship Takada in the Indian Ocean. So presumabely buried at sea. So far as I can tell she is not commemorated by the CWGC although her name is on the York Minster panels. I have a photograph of her but was unaware of her name on the Aldeburgh War Memorial. Did you take a photograph of her name on the memorial and, if so, may I have a copy please?

Hello

I am currently researching the WW1 names on Aldeburgh War Memorial in Suffolk including Christine JAY and I am continuing this research for the wife of a gentleman who had started the research several years ago and sadly due to the onset of Alzheimer's has been unable to finish it. I am trying to add extra information to his research to write and publish a book in conjunction with his wife next March. I can see from your message above that you have a photograph of Christine JAY and I wondered if we would possibly be able to obtain a copy of it and of course we would acknowledge you accordingly in our book. My email address is charnwoodresearch@virginmedia.com and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you in advance for your time and help in this matter. Kind regards Simon Last

Hello again Jim

Wondering what unmarked plot you need photographing in Kensal Green Cemetery.

Also if you don't receive the photograph you need from Menton, France I hope to be there July 2014.

Simon, Whilst I have a photograph of Christine Jay, and I would be happy to share it with you privately, it is almost certainly subject to copyright so not for use in your forthcoming book. It is one held by the Imperial War Museum and was available on the web in conjunction with Gale as part of the Women at War exhibition that they had a couple of years ago. But a direct approach to the IWM may prove helpful.

Hello again Jim

Wondering what unmarked plot you need photographing in Kensal Green Cemetery.

Also if you don't receive the photograph you need from Menton, France I hope to be there July 2014.

Myrtle, Thank you for stepping forward (again).

Kensal Green - There is a screen wall there listing a number of my women. This I have. But I am now trying to tease out those women's unmarked plots and hoping that the CWGC references actually detail the plots. They are as follows :-

Blanche Agnes Ambrose, WRAF - Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery; 198. 18. 46006.

Dora Wood Ashley, WRAF - Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery; 198. 19. 460933

Maude Amy Buckingham, QAIMNS - Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery; 136. 5. 28475

Violet Maud Porter, WRAF - Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery; 198. 46054

D.M. Smitherst, WRAF - Kensal Green (All Souls') Cemetery; 198. 18. 46053

Catherine Nutley, QMAAC - Kensal Green (St. Mary's) Roman Catholic Cemetery (on a screen wall there but should be buried in the cemetery, too).

In addition, a couple of new ones.

- Elise (Elsie) Jeanne Temple Lethbridge, British Red Cross Sister, died 26th April 1919, was interred in Kensal Green on the 1st May 1919. Information from her obituary so I cannot give a plot reference.

- Florence Mathias, VAD, died 2nd March 1919 and interred on the 8th March 1919. From her obituary so cannot give a plot reference.

As to Mentone, I need a photograph of the grave of Maude Millicent Wilson, VAD, died 27th March 1917,who is buried in Trabuquet New Communal Cemetery (plot unknown but believed to be next to the grave of 710693 Gunner J. Young, R.F.A. )

• 2 weeks later...

BORDERS, Wilton - The name of Louisa JORDAN, VAD, is on the Wilton Church War Memorial. She died 6/3/15 in Serbia. I also need her name on the Buckhaven War Memorial.

EAST LOTHIAN, Dunbar - Violet Thomasina FRAZER, Serbian Relief Fund, died 9/3/19. Possibly as Fraser as that was her true name but Frazer used on the York Minster panels. Her name is on the Dunbar War Memorial.

Thanks, Kenny.

Jim

As you are aware, I have sent you the photographs for Louisa Jordan, Wilton Church Memorial, which is now in the Kelvin Stevenson Memorial in Glasgow.

I have also already sent you Violet Frazer, Dunbar War Memorial.

My friend David Aitcheson has now visited the Buckhaven War Memorial and has obtained photographs of that memorial which has "Louisa Jordon" on it. I will forward them to you this evening. If you do not get them (they are large files!), please let me know.

Regards

Kenny

PS - visited Perth Congregational Church whilst passing last week. It was closed. Still on my "to do" list.

Kenny

Edited by kenny.bell

Only just seen this thread - most recent list includes Southport, If the names are on the town center memorial, I'll be happy to get those. I May also be able to do Littlebrough and Stockport - depending on the distance from the railway station.

Glen