Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

As you are aware, I have sent you the photographs for Louisa Jordan, Wilton Church Memorial, which is now in the Kelvin Stevenson Memorial in Glasgow.

I have also already sent you Violet Frazer, Dunbar War Memorial.

My friend David Aitcheson has now visited the Buckhaven War Memorial and has obtained photographs of that memorial which has "Louisa Jordon" on it. I will forward them to you this evening. If you do not get them (they are large files!), please let me know.

Regards

Kenny

PS - visited Perth Congregational Church whilst passing last week. It was closed. Still on my "to do" list.

Kenny

Hello Kenny, Safely received with grateful thanks, Jim

Only just seen this thread - most recent list includes Southport, If the names are on the town center memorial, I'll be happy to get those. I May also be able to do Littlebrough and Stockport - depending on the distance from the railway station.

Glen

Hello Glen, Not the Southport War Memorial but something else.

SOUTHPORT - Janet Lois Griffiths, QAIMNS. Her name is on a bronze plaque which was originally in the Congregational Church, Chapel Street, Southport and is now in West End United Church, Lord Street, West Southport. I need a photograph of the memorial that shows her name.

Additionally, I need a photograph of a headstone (name unknown to me at present) in Duke Street Cemetery, Southport that relates to a relative of Nellie Taylor but includes remembrance to Nellie (she

died in France).

LITTLEBOROUGH - a staff nurse Valentine is on a memorial in Dearnley Methodist Church, Littleborough and I would like to have a photograph of it showing her name.

STOCKPORT - no requirements now required here unless I can find out where several ladies are buried.

Hi Jim,

Only just seen this thread. I can cover North Wales and Cheshire. I know it's late notice but I'm going to visit family in Accrington on Tuesday. So let me know if I can help with Accy,Church & Clayton Le Moors.

Regards, Darryl

Hi Jim,

Only just seen this thread. I can cover North Wales and Cheshire. I know it's late notice but I'm going to visit family in Accrington on Tuesday. So let me know if I can help with Accy,Church & Clayton Le Moors.

Regards, Darryl

Hello Darryl, I, too, may be too late for you. But here are my requirements.

ACCRINGTON - Margaret Alice BARON, VAD, Her name is on the St. John Ambulance Memorial now in the new ambulance drill hall. Someone kindly provided a photograph of this but a distant view. I would like to have a closer view so that her name can be read.

CLAYTON-LE-MOORS - Margaret Alice BARON, VAD. Her name is on the War Memorial, Mercer Park, Clayton-le-Moors. Also Ada WHITAKER, VAD, is on the same memorial and I need that, too.

CHURCH & CLAYTON-LE-MOORS - Margaret Alice BARON, VAD, is buried in Church and Clayton-le-Moors Joint Cemetery, plot E, CE, 107. Photograph of her grave marker required.

Simon, Whilst I have a photograph of Christine Jay, and I would be happy to share it with you privately, it is almost certainly subject to copyright so not for use in your forthcoming book. It is one held by the Imperial War Museum and was available on the web in conjunction with Gale as part of the Women at War exhibition that they had a couple of years ago. But a direct approach to the IWM may prove helpful.

Hi Jim, Many thanks for your reply and it would be great if you could share this photo with me privately - my email address is charnwoodresearch@virginmedia.com and I look forward to hearing from you. Do you know who I would need to contact at IWM for copyright purposes? Many thanks for your help to date which is very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Simon Last

Hi Jim,

Yes, sorry it was a bit late. I will be going again in early January so I will search them out then.

Regards,

Darryl

• 1 month later...

Time for un update. Some new ones added including Dublin

Time for an update. Essex updated and Kent and Dorset cleared.

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Monymusk
ANGUS, Forfar, Montrose
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

CLACKMANNONSHIRE, Alloa
DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Exmouth, Plymouth
ESSEX, East Ham
FIFE, Lundin
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Beckford
GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial), Southampton (Old Cemetery),

HERTFORDSHIRE, Redbourn - now completed 12/13

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Littleborough, Mellor, Southport, Thornham, Walton
LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green (including unmarked plots), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden
NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
PERTHSHIRE, Perth
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Lowestoft
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Great Alne, Kenilworth, Longbridge
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)
YORKSHIRE, Barnsley, Harrogate, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec
FRANCE, Estaires (2), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra), Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte
U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)
YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

• 3 weeks later...

Jim

I could do SURREY; Dorking and Leatherhead if you want.

James

Jim

I could do SURREY; Dorking and Leatherhead if you want.

James

James, thank you for your offer. I need the following :-

Dorking Cemetery - a photo of the grave of Daisy Maud Cottingham WADLING who died on the 1st November 1918 and was interred on the 11th November 1918. Aged 34.

Leatherhead Methodist Church, Church Road, Leatherhead - Ada Elizabeth WELLER, QMAAC. Her name is on a WW1 Memorial Roll within the Methodist church. A photograph of her name on the roll is required. (I actually visited the church earlier this year to get it but couldn't find anyone to give me access. I have since found out that the pastor lives at a house to the side of the church. A previsit telephone call should do the trick).

edit Wadling aged 43

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

the Borders, Wilton need - Is this not the one I narrowed down to Wilton Church in Glasgow? Can't remember ladies name at the moment. The memorial was subsequently moved from Wilton church to another just round the corner.

Hope.this makes sense!

Kenny

Jim,

the Borders, Wilton need - Is this not the one I narrowed down to Wilton Church in Glasgow? Can't remember ladies name at the moment. The memorial was subsequently moved from Wilton church to another just round the corner.

Hope.this makes sense!

Kenny

Kenny, You are absolutely right. Louisa Jordan, VAD, was on a memorial roll in Wilton Church and you found her in Kelvin Stevenson Memorial Church, Glasgow. You kindly got me a photograph of it. I have my own "running" list of wants and had amended that. I forgot to amend the list above and have now done so. I am surprised (and pleased) that I only have six requirements left in the whole of Scotland (plus the possible Isle of Hoy) which is no mean feat. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim,

I have the photos for Margaret Alice Baron and Ada Whitaker from Church & Clayton Le Moors. Unfortunately I was unable to gain access to the St John Ambulance drill hall. I will give them a ring and see if I can arrange an appointment next time. If you let me have your email address I'll send the photos to you. If you want photos printing off then just let me know. Sorry about the poor headstone photos but the inscription was somewhat faded.

DSCF0811

DSCF0809

DSCF0810

DSCF0806

DSCF0799

DSCF0798

DSCF0797

DSCF0796

DSCF0808

Edited by Ron da Valli

I can do photos from the Isle of Wight if that's any help.

Jamie.

Jamie, Thank you for your offer. My current requirements are above (post 1259). Nothing for the Isle of Wight, the closest being Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial) and Southampton (Old Cemetery). In fact these three locations are all that I have to get from Hampshire.,

Kenny, You are absolutely right. Louisa Jordan, VAD, was on a memorial roll in Wilton Church and you found her in Kelvin Stevenson Memorial Church, Glasgow. You kindly got me a photograph of it. I have my own "running" list of wants and had amended that. I forgot to amend the list above and have now done so. I am surprised (and pleased) that I only have six requirements left in the whole of Scotland (plus the possible Isle of Hoy) which is no mean feat. Jim

hi jim and very well done,what are the six requirements left in scotland regards david

Here are my Scottish requirements (unless any others turn up).

ABERDEENSHIRE, Monymusk. - Margaret Isabella Kathleen DURNO, VAD. A photograph of her name off the Monymusk War Memorial required. I have one off the web but need one where permission is given for me to use it. The same for Annie WILSON, QARNNS whose name is also on there. Additionally required is a photograph of Annie WILSONS's grave at plot 1131, Moneymusk parish churchyard.

ANGUS, Forfar. - The name of Evelyne Euphemia TAIT, QMAAC, is said to be on the East and Old Parish Church memorial.

Montrose, - Annie CRAIK, WRAF, is on the Montrose War Memorial. The name of Rebecca McMurray MUNRO, QAIMNS, is also wanted from there.

ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin. - the name of Viola CAMPBELL, nurse, is on a Roll of Honour in Appin Church. I also need a photograph of the grave of Mary Struthers DRUMMOND, nurse, who is buried in Appin churchyard and also her name on the Roll of Honour in the church. Also required from the Roll of Honour are the names of Mary A. MacCOLL, sister and Katriona J. ROSS, VAD

FIFE, Scoonie. - Mary Sutherland Brown GRAY, has her name on a wooden panel in Scoonie Parish Church.

PERTHSHIRE, Perth. - Mabel Lee MILNE, TFNS, Her name is on the Perth Academy war memorial. The name of Jeannie Turnbull WRIGHT, QMAAC, is on a memorial in Perth Congregational Church.

and THE ORKNEYS, Isle of HOY. - there is a memorial in Lyness Naval Cemetery inscribed “Sacred to the memory of Lionel A. Martin, Surgeon, R.N., Herbert M. Marshall, Dental Surgeon, R.N.V.R., Cyril Le Gai Hayward, 2nd Officer, Louisa C. Chamberlain, Q.A.R.N.N.S.R., who were accidentally killed while boating in northern waters on August 3rd (sic) 1918. Erected by their shipmates in H.M.H.S. China. Requietscant In Pace” . What I have been unable to discover is if the memorial marks the grave of these casualties or if Louisa Charlotte CHAMBERLAIN, QARNNS is buried elsewhere in the cemetery (or even elsewhere).

These are the six locations.

Time for un update. Some new ones added including Dublin

Time for an update. Essex updated and Kent and Dorset cleared.

FRANCE, Cannes (Alpes Maritimes), Cher, Estaires (2), Froyennes, Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Lille, Menton, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux

Hi Jim

Just checking the list for France to see what I might be able to do and would outpoint that Cher and Gironde are départements -- can you be more precise on the locations? Estaires, Lamalou, Pys and Saint Amand les Eaux (sp) are not far from the old front line, but Froyennes seems to be in Belgium.

cheers Martin B

Martin, my French (possibly Belgian) requirements.

Cannes (Alpes Maritimes) - now taken off my list

Cher - now taken off my list

Estaires - Rosalie DETOURLET and Marie SLORAN are French civilians buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery with the graves cared for by the CWGC.

Froyennes - There is a wall plaque in the Canon d'Or coffee house, Froyennes in memory of Louise Marie Henriette Jeanne BETTIGNIES who died 17/9/18. (you are, of course, correct in that this is in Belgium).

Gironde - Bessie GALE, YMCA (American) was buried in grave 29, section A, AEF Cemetery, 25 Talence, Gironde. (Many US bodies were exhumed and repatriated to the US and this may have been one of them but I have not been able to find that this one was so)

Hemévez (Normandy) - the name of Georgette de la Motte ANGO DE FLEURS is on the war memorial in the municipal cemetery.

Lamalou - Virginia Luella BRANUM, YMCA (American) was buried in Lamalou Cemetery, Lamalou-les-Baines. She died 30/3/19.

Le Havre - Agnes Greig MANN, QAIMNS, was lost at sea. Her name went onto the Salta Memorial. Her body was recovered and buried Div.62.1 in Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre. I have a photo of the name on the Salta Memorial but not of her grave. Also on the Salta Memorial is an "unknown" female. The CWGC I believe now accepts that this was Jane ROBERTS, QAIMNS, and I am awaiting her name to be added and need to keep looking to see. The CWGC website shows her as being there.

Lille - there is a statue of Louise Marie Henriette Jeanne BETTIGNIES in Boulevard Camot, Lille. I am not sure if this is the same one as is outside the Musee de Cannoniers but if there are two then I need that one, too. Lastly there is a street named after her (Place de Bettignies) and I would welcome a photograph of the street sign.

Mentone - Maude Millicent WILSON, VAD, is buried in Trabuquet Communal Cemetery, Mentone. To find her easily she is next to 710693 Gunner J. Young, RFA Unfortunately the CWGC does not give a plot number.

Mouleydier (Dordogne) - the name of Germaine de la VALETTE MONBRUN is on a Roll of Honour in a church in Mouleydier (sorry, no further information as yet).

Pys - Mde LEVETEZ, a French citizen originally buried in Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cemetery (under CWGC care) was exhumed and reburied in Pys Communal Cemetery by relatives.

Saint Amand les Aux - the body of Louise Marie Henriette Jeanne BETTIGNIES was placed in the family vault at Saint Amand les Eaux. Photograph of the vault required.

I have joined this forum to ask do you still want a photo of the memorial that shows Janet Lois Griffiths

I attend the church where it is and have been researching the lady.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

- ABERDEENSHIRE, Monymusk. - Margaret Isabella Kathleen DURNO, VAD. A photograph of her name off the Monymusk War Memorial required. I have one off the web but need one where permission is given for me to use it. The same for Annie WILSON, QARNNS whose name is also on there. Additionally required is a photograph of Annie WILSONS's grave at plot 1131, Moneymusk parish churchyard.

My friend got to Monymusk last weekend and got some photographs of the war memorial at Monymusk. He also vivited KEMNAY war memorial which also has the name of Margaret Durno on it.

Will send these today. Unfortunately, he did not get to the grave of Annie Wilson.

Regards

Kenny