Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hello Jim

I've not been here for a while as your Scottish needs are diminishing rapidly.

I see that you have a requirement for Appin. Have you seen this: https://www.facebook.com/315983681857065/photos/pb.315983681857065.-2207520000.1421434316./600145816774182/?type=3&theater

The name Sister Mary Struthers Drummond can clearly be seen on the picture. Is this what you're after? It may be that you/we could contact the church via Facebook and ask for permission to use a cropped version of the picture?

Edit - done a wee bit of homework. I see there's another memorial with more names on it! (Scottish War Memorials project). I'll keep this on my "try to do" list.

Regards as usual,

Kenny

Kenny, I have a couple of cuts off the Web but need more from Appin so hopefully someone will actually go there and "do the lot" for me so that there can be no copyright issues.

1) Mary Struthers Drummond is actually buried in the cemetery at Appin so a photo of her headstone is required. The article confirming this I rather like "Her remains were brought from England on Saturday, the 16th November, and were laid to rest with military honours in Appin Churchyard amid kindred dust".

2) The Drummond and Appin War Memorial - that is the one in the church which you have referred to. I wrote to the SWM project to ask the provider if I might use theirs but I had no reply.

3) There is a Roll of Honour memorial presented to the church by Wm.Russell Fergusson of Appin in memory of his nephew, Lieut. Commander John White Ferguson, RNVR. On this is the names of Viola Campbell, Mary A. MacColl and Katriona J. Ross. These are "served" from the parish rather than casualties but I would still like a photo of the memorial.

Hi, Jim

A friend was in Peterhead yesterday and managed to find the memorial for Mary Smith. I'll send the picture on to you later. No luck, however, with BJ Bruce - the memorial was not obvious although there were what appeared to be unmarked graves in the vicinity. He will try again at a later date.

BW

Kevin

Hi, Jim

A friend was in Peterhead yesterday and managed to find the memorial for Mary Smith. I'll send the picture on to you later. No luck, however, with BJ Bruce - the memorial was not obvious although there were what appeared to be unmarked graves in the vicinity. He will try again at a later date.

BW

Kevin

Kevin, At least with this one I have a greave plot number. Bella Jane Bruce is buried with four other family members in grave A/92 and she was interred on the 4th November 1918. Sometimes, when I do not have a plan of the cemetery I use CWGC graves as a pointer although in some instances this does not always work. No CWGC graves very close to this one although there is John Buchan RNR ar A.9 and Donals McCloed McWilliam RNR at A. 275 and J. Webster, RASC at A.308. I would be surprised if there is not a grave marker as VADs normally came from quite moneyed families but if fairly certain that the grave is unmarked then a photograph of the assumed plot will do. Please thank your friend for me for his efforts. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim, I've been AWOL for a while and now I'm back it seems you have another Kentish maid to find. If you let me have the details I will try to convince the wife that a trip to Ashford is a necessity and see what I can find.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Jim, I've been AWOL for a while and now I'm back it seems you have another Kentish maid to find. If you let me have the details I will try to convince the wife that a trip to Ashford is a necessity and see what I can find.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve, She's a bomb casualty. Gladys Alice SPARKS died on the 25th May 1917 and is buried in plot 7175, Old Ashford Cemetery, Canterbury Road, Ashford. She was aged 18. She is buried near to the grave of her mother, Isabella Rosamund Sparkes, who died the previous year.

Steve, She's a bomb casualty. Gladys Alice SPARKS died on the 25th May 1917 and is buried in plot 7175, Old Ashford Cemetery, Canterbury Road, Ashford. She was aged 18. She is buried near to the grave of her mother, Isabella Rosamund Sparkes, who died the previous year.

Hi again Jim. I will get on to it as soon as I can, but it may be a week or two.

You may have noticed that my ID (Exboy) was different on the previous post, as I had a hiccup with my log-in and started again. Now sorted, so back to the original, in case you were wondering.

Regards,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

An update as quite a few have been added - most recently Yorkshire

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Peterhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)
ESSEX, East Ham
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine)(Dunboe), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed),

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Chadderton, Greater Accrington

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden
NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Fenton, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

WORCESTERSHIRE, Alvesbury
YORKSHIRE, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Headingly, Hull, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec
FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 3, Gloucester), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr, York), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Hi Jim,

Whom do you require in Fenton Cemetery Staffordshire?

Regards Andy.

Andy, There is a memorial in Temple Street Methodist Church that has the name of Dorothy Fisher on it. She was a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment.

Hi Jim

Please let me have the details of your requirement from Pys, France.

Regards

John

John, This really is an unusual one. For some unknown reason (to me) seven female foreign nationals are under CWGC care in Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cemetery, France. The CWGC records show as ten incumbants but I am assured that there were only seven (now six). The graves are unmarked but I know who is in them. The graves are in plots A1 to A10 (with gaps) which implies that they were interred early in the life (?) of the cemetery. The deaths were all around October 1918 and suggest Spanish 'flu casualties but the CWGC states that the cemetery was started in 1917. But why these women were interred into a British cemetery and cared for by the CWGC I know not why. One of them WAS Mde Levetez but she was exhumed and reinterred by the family into a family plot at Pys Communal Cemetery. The fact that she is in a family plot implies that she will be remembered with a headstone but unfortunately I do not know the plot number.

Hi Jim, I took a run to Ashford this morning and with my daughter's help searched about half the cemetery (it's bigger than it looks from the map). Found a couple of areas with lots of graves from WW1 but also dozens of other graves scattered at random throughout the site. So I will have to see if I can find a record of where each grave is located and have another go using the plot number you supplied. Watch this space!

I took a few pics of the entrance and the gatehouse, which appears now to be a private residence, plus some of a cluster of mainly military graves in the north east corner of the cemetery but will wait until I can do a positive ID, or not, before sending anything.

Steve.

Hi Jim

We went to Pys Communal Cemetery but were unable to find any gamily grave related to Mde Levetez, there were a few on which we could not read the family name.We will contact the Maire of Pys and see if he can shed any light on it. Below is an image of the cemetery;

Kind regards

John

16538585062_26302174ca_o.jpg

Hi Jim

Had to re-post this image as the original post seems to have become corrupted. All of my images are hosted on Flickr so should be ok to download, please let me know of any problem.

Kind regards

John

16362322887_600cc2b18e_o.jpg

Thank you John. I had Sussanne Renard but your photograph shows as C. Renard. More research on my part required. As to the two missing grave incumbents I know that Rosalie Dupuet is now in Grevillers British Cemetery (I have photograph of her grave marker) and so I hope that you find Madame Levetez at Pys and they will all be accounted for.

Hi Jim, I took a run to Ashford this morning and with my daughter's help searched about half the cemetery (it's bigger than it looks from the map). Found a couple of areas with lots of graves from WW1 but also dozens of other graves scattered at random throughout the site. So I will have to see if I can find a record of where each grave is located and have another go using the plot number you supplied. Watch this space!

I took a few pics of the entrance and the gatehouse, which appears now to be a private residence, plus some of a cluster of mainly military graves in the north east corner of the cemetery but will wait until I can do a positive ID, or not, before sending anything.

Steve.

Steve, It seems that the grave is unmarked. I shall write direct to you to explain but an old friend of mine has previously researched the girl and searched her out using the cemetery records.

Hi Jim,

Who is it that you need in Edgmond, Shropshire. I don't live too far away so if required will go and get the picture required.

Dave

Hi Jim,

Who is it that you need in Edgmond, Shropshire. I don't live too far away so if required will go and get the picture required.

Dave

Hello Dave, Thank you for coming forward. My requirement is for a photograph of the grave of Annie Ruff, ex QMAAC but who had resigned before death for health reasons. I am told that she has no headstone. She is in Edgmond Cemetery and died 5th December 1918. It will require contact with either the local cemetery office of local council to get her plot number. I still would like a photograph of the grassy plot to aid someone to be able to find it.

Steve.

Hi again Jim, I went back to Ashford this morning, armed with a map which I expected would allow me to pinpoint Gladys's grave. Unfortunately I could not find one of the names which the lady at Ashford BC had marked on the map and none of the many well-marked military graves were named on it. As it stands, what you already have is as good as I could provide, but I will have another try with Ashford BC before I give up altogether.

Steve.

Steve, I think that you are right. What I have got is the best that I can expect. Unless you are a glutton for punishment perhaps you should now leave it, Jim