Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hello Jim

Do you still require the plaque from St Laurence Church Alvechurch? for Elsie Underwood

If so, I have finally gained entrance and taken a few photos.

John

Peter, There is a photograph of the Albany War Memorial here :-

https://d38ls2kcjnhfdj.cloudfront.net/fbfaa0da-f491-4954-9867-3fb41f7c2ef4.JPG

Nellie's name is the very first on the listing. Jim

Jim

In my haste I did not look at the first name on the memorial so Nellie Saw's name is on my photograph of the Albany Memorial

Hello Jim

Do you still require the plaque from St Laurence Church Alvechurch? for Elsie Underwood

If so, I have finally gained entrance and taken a few photos.

John

Still required, John, so yes please.

An update of my needs :-

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Maeshyfryd
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Theale

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive

CARDIGANSHIRE, Lampeter

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwyddelwern

DERBYSHIRE, Linton, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)

ESSEX, East Ham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Lstalyfera, Southerdown, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Boduan, Llanbedrog, New Quay, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Curdridge, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

HERTFORDSHIRE - Essendon, Welwyn

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Down (Bangor), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Swanscombe

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Chadderton, Eccles, Greater Accrington, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Walkden

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay, Mumby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Edmonton, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Barton Seagrave, Kettering, Stoke Bruerne
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Gotham, Misterton, North Collingham,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford, Tetsworth
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft, Mellis, Rushmere
SURREY, Brookwood, Burgh Heath, Chiddingfold, Kingswood
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Eastbourne, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Smethwick
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Allerton Bywater, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Scarborough, Sheffield, South Anston

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus), Nova Scotia (12), Ontario (Brantford, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

edit ongoing (later) - Maeshyfryd (Anglesey), Lampeter (Cardiganshire), Southerdown (Glamorganshire), Beduan, New Quay (Gwynedd), Curdridge (Hants), Essendon (Hertfordshire), Swanscombe (Kent), Edmonton (London), Edinburgh (Lothian), Hampton (Middlesex), Eccles and Walkden (Lancashire), Stoke Bruerne (Northamptonshire), Ocker Hill (Staffordshire), Tettenhall (Staffordshire), Tipton (Staffordshire), Brantford, London, Paris (Ontario, Canada), Sallanches (France), Warsaw (Poland) added

Balsover (Derbyshire), Parwich (Derbyshire), Headingley (Yorkshire) - off

Were you already aware of this one - I came across it in passing while looking for someone else.

A piece was in the Oxford Mail in April 2013 about a soon to be published book – “Remembered – the Men on the War Memorials of Witney, Crawley and Hailey:1914-1919 Volume 1”

“The book also includes a biography of Lucy Harris, the only Witney woman to die in the First World War. She signed up for the WRAF and was due to report for duty at RAF Kidbrooke when she died of influenza. Because she did not die on active service, her name is not on the memorial, but her grave is in St Mary’s Church, Cogges, near Witney.”

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourtown/witney/10385223.Lives_of_heroes_named_on_war_memorials_revealed/

regards,

Peter

Were you already aware of this one - I came across it in passing while looking for someone else.

A piece was in the Oxford Mail in April 2013 about a soon to be published book – “Remembered – the Men on the War Memorials of Witney, Crawley and Hailey:1914-1919 Volume 1”

“The book also includes a biography of Lucy Harris, the only Witney woman to die in the First World War. She signed up for the WRAF and was due to report for duty at RAF Kidbrooke when she died of influenza. Because she did not die on active service, her name is not on the memorial, but her grave is in St Mary’s Church, Cogges, near Witney.”

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourtown/witney/10385223.Lives_of_heroes_named_on_war_memorials_revealed/

regards,

Peter

Lucy Harris is well known to me and is one of my favourites for a number of reasons. Her grave is unmarked. Her father refused a headstone and didn't provide one himself. I have actually visited the grave and know exactly where she is buried thanks to a kind soul at the CWGC. I believe that she had just joined the WRAF and was about to take up her first post when influenza struck. There is still some researching to do in that I have not yet, with certainty, found her death registration and there are four possibilities for her birth registration. Perhaps the author of the book will know as he is on the spot for research purposes whilst mine was just a fleeting visit.

Hi Jim,

Just checking to see if your research includes a Dorothy Bateman Maddock in your list.

She has a CWGC headstone in our local churchyard and was a member of Q.M.A.A.C with her death being recorded on 14/10/1918.

John

Jim

Have you come across Jane Allport whose name appears first on the Members of the Staff of Novello & Co Ltd WW1 Memorial in Wardour Street, London W1 ? She seems to have died March 1918 so I am wondering if she was killed during the air raid that happened in March of that year.

Hi Jim,

Just checking to see if your research includes a Dorothy Bateman Maddock in your list.

She has a CWGC headstone in our local churchyard and was a member of Q.M.A.A.C with her death being recorded on 14/10/1918.

John

John, I have her recorded and also a photograph of her grave marker. Thank you for mentioning her, though.

Jim

Have you come across Jane Allport whose name appears first on the Members of the Staff of Novello & Co Ltd WW1 Memorial in Wardour Street, London W1 ? She seems to have died March 1918 so I am wondering if she was killed during the air raid that happened in March of that year.

Myrtle, I do not have anything for Jane Allport and thank you for bringing her to my notice. Like you, I suspect that she was killed in one of the zeppelin air-raids on London that happened in January, February and March 1918. According to Wikipedia, January, February and March suffered 67, 21 and 49 killed respectively. Out of interest, I have Lena Ford, an American, as a casualty of one of these raids and famous for writing the lyrics to "Keep the home fires burning".

Yes I wondered if there was a connection between the deaths of the two women as they both had a working connection with Ivor Novello and both died in March 1918. Lena Ford was killed where she lived in Maida Vale with her young son so I looked at the list of the casualties from the incident in Maida Vale but Jane Allport's name doesn't appear. Jane's family lived in Bloomsbury at the time of the 1911 Census.

Unfortunately I cannot just nick photographs off the internet because of copyright issues. But, yes, it is a photograph of the name of Emma Keyworth on the Headingly War Memorial that I require.

I took them you are welcome to them let me have an email and i can forward

Gus

I took them you are welcome to them let me have an email and i can forward

Gus

Gus, thank you. I am jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk. Abbreviated like this to stop the trawlers picking it up and bombarding me with stuff. I appreciate the offer (highest density possible would suit me) and I look forward to hearing from you, Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

Has the Eccles, Lancashire, been done?

Hello Shred,

I need a photograph of the name of Hilda Trenbath, VAD, which is on the war memorial at St. Mary Magdelene Church, Winton, Eccles. I see that this is the same as the Salford War Memorial and that you are Administrator of that site. Their photograph will be copyright hence my need for one unless it is your photo and you give me permission to lift it.

http://salfordwarmemorials.proboards.com/thread/908/st-marys-eccles

Out of interest I have two women from Eccles whose graves I would like to find. These are :-

Bridget Couroy, munition worker

Hilda Trenbath, VAD

So if you should have access to local newspapers or records it would be nice to know where these are.

I hope that you can help, Jim

Jim,

I have sent the images that requested along with a few other bits. I hope that you received them in good order?

I will let you know if I find anything further.

Garry

Jim,

I have sent the images that requested along with a few other bits. I hope that you received them in good order?

I will let you know if I find anything further.

Garry

Unfortunately nothing received as yet.

• 1 month later...

Quite a few adds since my last update :-

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Maeshyfryd
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Theale

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Lampeter

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale

CORNWALL, Falmouth

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwyddelwern

DERBYSHIRE, Linton, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DORSETSHIRE, Eype

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)

ESSEX, East Ham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Lstalyfera, Southerdown, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Boduan, Llanbedrog, New Quay, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Curdridge, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

HERTFORDSHIRE - Aldbury, Essendon, Welwyn

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Down (Bangor), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Swanscombe

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Chadderton, Eccles, Greater Accrington, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Walkden

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Whaplode Drove, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Edmonton, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan

NORFOLK, Sheringham

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Barton Seagrave, Cogenhoe, Duston, Kettering, Stoke Bruerne
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Gotham, Misterton, North Collingham,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford, Tetsworth
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Chasetown, Lichfield, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft, Mellis, Rushmere
SURREY, Brookwood, Burgh Heath, Chiddingfold, Kingswood
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Eastbourne, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Smethwick
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Allerton Bywater, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Scarborough, Sheffield, South Anston

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus), Nova Scotia (12), Ontario (Brantford, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

edit ongoing (later) - Caldecote (Cambridgeshire), Crayford (Kent), Whaplode Drove (Lincolnshire), Duston (Northamptonshire), Chasetown, Lichfield, West Bromwich (Staffordshire)

Hi Jim

Do you still need Tetsworth?

Hello, Yes, I need a photograph of the name of Lilian Griffin which I understand is on the Tetsworth War Memorial. She is currently the subject of a stream under "Women" above.