Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

Congratulations on your amazing work , I've come across it as I encourage Canadian participation in the IWM Lives of the First World War. A photo and a personal recollection of how it was obtained add greatly to the stories, particularly as remembrance from descendants seems so hard to come by.

• 3 weeks later...

An update of my needs :-

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Peterhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Theale

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale

CORNWALL, Launceston

DERBYSHIRE, Bolsover, Linton, Parwich, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)

ESSEX, East Ham
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Down (Bangor), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Chadderton, Greater Accrington, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay, Mumby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Hampstead, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Barton Seagrave, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Gotham, Misterton, North Collingham,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay, Uttoxeter

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft, Mellis, Rushmere
SURREY, Brookwood, Burgh Heath, Chiddingfold, Kingswood
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Smethwick
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

WORCESTERSHIRE, Alvesbury
YORKSHIRE, Allerton Bywater, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Headingly, Scarborough, Sheffield, South Anston

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus), Nova Scotia (12), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

edit ongoing (later) - Ranworth (Norfolk), Baswich/Berkswich (Staffordshire) and Australia (Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney), South Africa (Germiston (Transvaal)) now taken off.

- Launceston (Cornwall), Parwich (Derbyshire), Marown (Isle of Man), Mumby (Lincolnshire), Rushmere (Suffolk), Kingswood and Burgh Heath (Surrey x 2), Smethwick (Warwickshire), South Anston (Yorkshire), Australia (Holbart, Langley, Milton, Rockwood, Rookwood, Swanwater, Terowie, Waverley) added

Truro Cenotaph, Truro, Nova Scotia - on it is believed to be the name of Rebecca McIntosh, nursing sister, C.A.M.C. who died 7th March 1919.

IMG_5222.jpg

IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

Jim,

Which Plaistow Cemetery are you after? If it is the Bromley one, I may be able to oblige.

Phil

Phil, I have it as East London Cemetery, Plaistow. This seems to be some distance from Bromley.

Berenice, thanks for the photographs. Just what I needed.

As for Nova Scotia I need :-

bronze plaque at Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia - includes the name of Minnie Asenath Follette, Margaret MacLoed, Rebecca McIntosh all nursing sisters, C.A.M.C.

Halifax (St. John's) Cemetery, Nova Scotia - Grace Mabel Grant, nursing sister, C.A.M.C. who died 12th September 1919 and is buried in a family plot here.

What do you need from 1) Kirton in Lindsey, Lincolnshire, and 2) Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada? And is it "Majorie Gibson" on the Berkswich memorial, Staffordshire, you need?

I went to the QEII Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, on a Saturday afternoon so much of it was closed. The Veterans Hospital was open though and I would have expected the plaque to be there as there were some WW1 and WW2 items on display. It wasn't, and there was no way I could try to track it down. Maybe next time I'm in Halifax....

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

Phil, I have it as East London Cemetery, Plaistow. This seems to be some distance from Bromley.

Berenice, thanks for the photographs. Just what I needed.

Hello Jim,

I got your email.

That would be the other Plaistow then. Unfortunately it is the other side of the river from me. The Bromley Plaistow Cemetery is a tiny little place just up the road from me.

Phil

Phil, thanks for the offer update and confirmation that my Plaistow Cemetery is not handy.

Berenice, I will come through direct with details of my needs.

Haven't checked the whole thread, plus I don't know if this meets your criteria.

Blanche Garman, Land Army, is buried in the churchyard of St Mary, Martham, Norfolk.

6285935115_f1c391b9f3.jpgBlanche Garman, Land Army 1919 and Harry Garman 1st/4th East Yorkshire Regiment 1915 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

According to the Roll of Honour Site:-

"Blanche was suffering from Chlorosis, which is a severe form of anaemia which turns to complexion green and can weaken the heart. Whilst working as a tractor driver in the Land Army her tractor caught fire which resulted in her having a fatal heart attack, between April and June 1919 [GRO reference Flegg 4 b 45]." (Headstone gives date of death as the June 30th 1919)

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/Martham.html

Blanche is also remembered on the Martham War Memorial.

6290426224_4281589c91.jpgMartham War Memorial WW1 - Panel 1 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

regards,

Peter

Jim,

Do I get points for trying :-)

Sorry- wasn't sure which sources you were using and as Blanche isn't on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. thought there might have been a chance you had missed her.

On a serious note, who do you need at Ranworth? Its about 5 miles away from me. CWGC are only maintaining one headstone in the churchyard and that's a standard pattern one for a Private in the Norfolk Regiment. I've also been round the churchyard a few years back looking for additional information that might help with researching the names on the war memorial and don't remember coming across any war related female service deaths.

There is a conspicuous absence on the Church War Memorial as well,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norfolkodyssey/5816532746

But if you haven't got any other takers then I'll go and take another look,

regards,

Peter

Jim,

Do I get points for trying :-)

Sorry- wasn't sure which sources you were using and as Blanche isn't on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. thought there might have been a chance you had missed her.

On a serious note, who do you need at Ranworth? Its about 5 miles away from me. CWGC are only maintaining one headstone in the churchyard and that's a standard pattern one for a Private in the Norfolk Regiment. I've also been round the churchyard a few years back looking for additional information that might help with researching the names on the war memorial and don't remember coming across any war related female service deaths.

There is a conspicuous absence on the Church War Memorial as well,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/norfolkodyssey/5816532746

But if you haven't got any other takers then I'll go and take another look,

regards,

Peter

Peter, you get loads of points for trying !!! As for Ranworth, I am looking for a photograph of the grave marker for Miriam Anne Ackland-Hood who was a VAD, died 10th April 1921 and is buried in St. Helen's churchyard. The family name changed to Acland-Hood-Reynardson in 1920 so it may come under that. A titled family there may be memorials in the church, too, but I don't know of any.

Interesting - death was recorded at the Registrar's office under three variations - Miriam A A H Reynardson, Miriam A.A.Hood-Reynardson and Miriam "Acland"-Hood-Reynardson (no "k" in Acland.). No Ackland-Hood however.

Aged 45, this lady was independently wealthy as she had her own financial estate, worth £42,861 in 1921. Suspect that would be millions in todays money. One of the executors of her estate was her husband, Arthur Acland Hood Reynardson, Lieutenant Colonel in H.M Army. The Probate was done under the name Reynardson. I'm not aware of the Reynardson's as one of the local landed families, but could be I'm looking for a family vault.

I'll give it a look-see. I'm hoping for a few dry days as I have a number of little searches to do in the area to the north-east of Norwich. St Helens churchyard in particular can be a bit boggy - I lost a shoe stuck in the mud last time I was there :-)

regards,

Peter

I understand in the Parish Records of Ranworth Church and Benefice there is reference to an endowment for the upkeep of Miriam Acland-Hood-Reynardson's grave.

CGM

Jim,

Do you have Nurse Emily Christian? She worked at the Royal Southern Hospital, Liverpool, and is named on the Manx National War Memorial.

bc0eb91a-992d-41f8-9ff8-ec86fe54044d.jpg

Also on the memorial is Nurse Alice Mona Mylchreest, of Basford House Red Cross Hospital, Manchester, died 1.9.1918.

Jim,

Do you have Nurse Emily Christian? She worked at the Royal Southern Hospital, Liverpool, and is named on the Manx National War Memorial.

bc0eb91a-992d-41f8-9ff8-ec86fe54044d.jpg

Also on the memorial is Nurse Alice Mona Mylchreest, of Basford House Red Cross Hospital, Manchester, died 1.9.1918.

Yes, I have a friendly Manxman who got these for me.

Ask and ye shall receive :-)

The headstone as I found it

22613171547_ed2eaf7e8d.jpgMiriam Anne Acland-Hood-Reynardson, former Assistant Commandant Woodbastwick Hall Auxiliary Hospital - headstone by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

And after a light brush-over to remove the dirt from the inscription - (if there is a legacy to pay for the upkeep, the family might want to ask for a refund!)

22408746654_6de5e91ae8.jpgMiriam Anne Acland-Hood-Reynardson, former Assistant Commandant Woodbastwick Hall Auxiliary Hospital - inscription by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

I've added what I could find out about Miriam on those pages, so I'll just summarise it here.

Born 27th February 1876 at 10, West Eaton Place, London - a very fashionable address - to a father, Charles Birch Reynardson, who by the age of 35 would be the Lieutenant-Colonel of the Grenadier Guards and with a sizable estate in Lincolnshire. Had one sibling, a sister Alice Mary, who like Miriam would marry a younger brother of a noble family. Both girls seem to have spent much of their childhood at Careby Rectory near Holywell, Lincolnshire. Holywell Hall was the family seat, and the "gift" of the benefice of Careby was in the hands of the Reynardson family. The incumbent in 1881 and 1891 was the girls Great-Uncle, John Birch Reynardson.

On the 19th November 1896 the marriage of "Miss Miriam Birch-Reynardson" to a Captain Arthur Acland Hood took place at St Saviours, Chelsea. Arthur, from Somerset, was then a Captain in the Rifle Brigade and had served in West Africa at the start of the year in the Second Ashanti Expedition. Arthur was the second son of Sir Alexander Acland-Hood and was some 16 years older than his new bride. His older brother Alexander, would become the future 1st Baronet St Audries. Miriam had earlier in 1888 been a bridesmaid at Alexander's wedding. Among the attendees were the Bowes-Lyon family, one of whose members would marry into the Cator family, who had a sizable estate in the Broads area of Norfolk, centred around the village of Woodbastwick and the next-door village of Ranworth. The Hood side of the Acland-Hood family had provided a number of Admiral Hood's over the years as well as senior Army Officers.

The couple had their first son, Charles Alexander John, on the 24th August 1897. A second son, Arthur Ailwyn would follow on the 27th August 1900 but would unfortunately be dead within a month. Arthur retired from the Army in October 1901, although what he did next is unclear. A daughter Agatha Isabel Acland-Hood was born on the 9th October 1903 at Lingwood, Norfolk. On the 1911 census Miriam and children Charles and Agatha were recorded at Lingwood Lodge, but Arthur was absent. The Norfolk Electoral Registers are available to search on-line but I couldn't find Arthur so I'm assuming for now that this wasn't his primary residence . I also couldn't find a house-sale, so a strong possibility they were renting.

For the same reason its not possible to establish when they moved to Ranworth Hall but I would speculate it was pre-war. At the out-break of the war, Mary Cator offered her stately pile, Woodbastwick Hall, ("52 rooms, 365 windows") for use as a War Hospital and became its Commandant. She turned to Miriam to act as Assistant Commandant. Mary would receive an O.B.E. in the 1918 New Years Honours in recognition of her services. In October 1917 Miriam was made an Associate of the Royal Red Cross, (2nd Class).

Her husband was recalled to duty and served at least the first two years of the war on the staff serving in Egypt and Gallipoli.

Tragedy would come at the Battle of Jutland in May 1916 when their only remaining son, Midshipman Charles Acland-Hood, was lost with the sinking of HMS Invincible. The ship was commanded by a cousin, Rear-Admiral Horace Hood, who would also die the same day. The additional details for Charles on CWGC is "Son of Lt.Col.A.Acland-Hood-Reynardson, of Holywell Hall, Stamford, Lincs. Educated at Eton". (Those details would probably have been collected in the early 1920's, hence the form of the surname used)

Miriam died at Ranworth on the 10th April 1921, aged 45. Her home address then was Ranworth Hall.

Her husband died on the 24th April 1929. His home address was Holywell Hall, Stamford, Lincolnshire.

I tried to find out a bit more about the use of Woodbastwick Hall during the war but so far the internet has little to offer. If its any help I came across the following members of the nursing staff who served at the Hospital.

The July 1915 edition of the British Journal of Nursing has a nurse – Miss M K Burton, deputed to work at Woodbastwick.

https://archive.org/stream/britishjournalnu55londuoft/britishjournalnu55londuoft_djvu.txt

The October 1915 edition of The British Journal of Nursing reported a Sister, Mrs Nye, had been deputed to work at Woodbastwick Hall.

Source: http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/library_and_heritage_services/library_collections/rcn_archive/historical_nursing_journals/browse_journals?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZyY25hcmNoaXZlLnJjbi5vcmcudWslMkZkYXRhJTJGVk9MVU1FMDU1LTE5MTUlMkZwYWdlMjk1LXZvbHVtZTU1LTA5dGhvY3RvYmVyMTkxNS5wZGYmYWxsPTE%3D

The same journal in its February 1916 edition reported that a Miss J O’Riordan had been deputed to be a Sister at the Hall.

http://www.forgottenbooks.com/readbook_text/The_British_Journal_of_Nursing_1916_1000455560/163

(Possibly the Joan O’Riordan, Reserve Sister in the Queen Alexandra’s Imperial Military Nursing Service whose Medal Index Card is held under reference WO 372/23/31312)

Source: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6277881

The West Australian, a Perth Newspaper, printed in its 2nd May 1916 edition that:-

Mrs T Priestley, wife of the Secretary of the Fremantle Hospital, is at present stationed as a charge nurse at Woodbastwick, Hall. She leaves shortly for France. She will serve for six months ay the Australian Hospital at Wimmereux, Boulogne.

Source: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/26978270?

(While the Australian nurses of WW1 seem to be well documented online, there doesn’t seem to be a T Priestley and neither of the Priestley’s I could find were married.)

http://nurses.ww1anzac.com/pr.html

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thank you for the information, Peter. You may care to note that daughter, Agatha, also served as a VAD at Woodbastwick Hall from June 1916 to December 1918.

• 3 weeks later...

Checking the copies of the local newspaper at the County Archive I came across this.

Eastern Daily Press, Friday, April 15th 1921

DEATH OF MRS. ACLAND HOOD-REYNARDSON

We regret to record the death of Mrs Acland Hood-Reynardson, wife of Lt.Col. A.Acland Hood-Reynardson of Ranworth Hall. Mrs Hood-Reynardson was the daughter of Colonel Birch Reynardson, of Holywell Hall, Stamford, and had been ill for a long time. Her illness was chiefly caused by her hard work and trouble during the war, when she lost her only son at the Battle of Jutland. She did splendid work at Mrs Cator’s V.A.D. Hospital at Woodbastwick, and her universal kindness and unselfishness won her the love of all the neighbourhood.

The funeral took place on Wednesday in the churchyard at Ranworth. The coffin had been brought to the church the night before in readiness for the Requiem celebration in the morning. All night a watch was kept by parishioners and friends from Ranworth and Woodbastwick. The Burial Office was said by the Rev.W.M.Cleaver, vicar of the parish. The other clergy assisting were the Rev. H.B. Maling, the Rev.R.W.Neville, and the Rev. C.M.Chamberlin. A full choir was in attendance, with the cross-bearer, and the organist, (Mrs Spanton) accompanied, and played a selection of suitable music before and after the service in church. A large congregation gathered to show their great esteem and affection.

The article then goes on to list the mourners and senders of wreath which I'll spare you !

regards,
Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim. It may have been a looooong wait but you can cross off your Melbourne wants. Yes, ALL of them. Such a successful day today with my brother [over from the UK] in tow and, were it not for him being a little cheeky, we would not have been allowed in a private corridor in St Paul's Cathedral for the RoH. I shall tease you with a taster ^_^

Can you please PM me with your email addy?

post-39423-0-48032900-1452255336_thumb.j

Also, are you interested in Munitions workers? Edith Emily Organ died approx 30/05/18 and I'm currently awaiting a copy of her headstone [if one exists]. She is buried in Smethwick Old Churchyard

Diane, you (and your brother) I have just put on a pedestal. Brilliant. Thank you. My email address is jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk Edith Emily Organ is totally new to me and it is satisfying to get new ones bearing in mind that I must have a list of nearly all WW1 serving female casualties. It is VAD and munition workers where there must be a few more to get and you have found one. This must be her :- https://www.onegreatfamily.com/fh/Edith-Organ/577253591 I look forward to hearing more from you. Jim

Diane, All safely received. The St. Paul's Cathedral ones are great for two reasons. I knew of only two women on it those being McBryde and Riggall. So nice to see many more. Secondly, someone had already looked for the Roll of Honour (was it you?) and was told by the cathedral historian that it didn't exist. Persistence has paid off. Thank you.