Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Clara Crozier

Hi Jim,

I'm taking photos for Newry Museum of local memorials of the Great War. I spent an hour in the old meeting house graveyard, searching but to no avail. I would appreciate any more detailed information to help me locate her grave.

Kind regards

Christina

Clara Crozier

Hi Jim,

I'm taking photos for Newry Museum of local memorials of the Great War. I spent an hour in the old meeting house graveyard, searching but to no avail. I would appreciate any more detailed information to help me locate her grave.

Kind regards

Christina

Christina, She can be found in Newry Reform Presbyterian Cemetery near the west boundary. Her grave marker is a 2’6” white marble headstone now recumbent and shattered on the grave space. If you get stuck let me know as I have a photograph of the grave and I can ask the provider if I may pass it on.

Temptage, thank you for the update.

Thank you Jim. That's useful information.cIf I have any further difficulty finding Clara's grave, I'll get back to you.

Kind regards

Christina

Hi,

I'm new to this site but would love to be able to help in any way I can

I'm in Greater Manchester, but quite able to travel to surrounding areas too! (I think I saw you mention Littleborough?)

If you need anything let me know :)

Lex

Lex, If you go back a page my wants are listed there on post 1310. My Lancashire needs are :-

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Clayton-le-Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Littleborough, Manchester, Nelson, Mellor, Southport, Thornham, Walton,

Lex, If you go back a page my wants are listed there on post 1310. My Lancashire needs are :-

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Clayton-le-Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Littleborough, Manchester, Nelson, Mellor, Southport, Thornham, Walton,

I'm back in the UK as of the 8th Aug so if you're not in a rush I can cover all of those areas no problem :)

Lex

Hi Jim.

I found Clara Crozier's headstone, very grown over. Thank you for your help, I wouldn't have found it without your directions.

Kind regards

Christina

Hi Jim.

I found Clara Crozier's headstone, very grown over. Thank you for your help, I wouldn't have found it without your directions.

Kind regards

Christina

• Admin

I found a grave in Harnham Salisbury to a lady who died nursing Canadian soldiers. Do you have her Jim?

Jim, with regards all the ones you want from USA, have you thought about using Find A Grave, as about 90% of everyone who uses FAG are in America. Very good chance you may be able to pick a few of those off.

I have used it quite successfully but some while ago. I have my wants listed there so that if anyone does a photograph it gets referred back to me. But I must have another trawl sometime soon.

I found a grave in Harnham Salisbury to a lady who died nursing Canadian soldiers. Do you have her Jim?

I think that will be Dorothy Rossiter, a civilian nurse. If so, yes, I have her.

Jim, do you still need a photo from Mellor? I assume it's Mary Jennette Robins' headstone?

Jim, do you still need a photo from Mellor? I assume it's Mary Jennette Robins' headstone?

Yes, spot on. I have a young lady who has offered to photograph all of my Lancashire needs and I gave her a list yesterday. As a student I am guessing that she has August free. If you already have a photograph of the headstone I should be grateful to receive it and I will ask her to take it off her list. Otherwise leave it and we shall see if she manages to get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I have finally managed to get to Beckford / Worcs in respect of Kathleen Bennett.

Apologies for the delay I have been tied up with work commitments. I will sort through the photos

and send them either this evening or tomorrow. I will load them to a website called dropbox and will

PM you the sign in details.

Regards,

Simon.

Thank you, Simon Dew, for completing my last Gloucestershire requirement. For current outstanding see post 1310 (back a page).

Hey Jim –

Just a quick update on my progress; I’m in the process of uploading the photo’s at the moment so they’ll all be over to you by this evening; I hope they’re all okay for you!

I have multiples of each, so I’ll send a few & you can pick which is best

Stella Rose BOUE-BLANDY

Went twice – both times not open (I’ll try again on a Sunday)

Lady Clara Theodora CLARE

Haven’t had chance to get over to Southport yet – no doubt do it this weekend

Lady Mary Emmeline Laura GERARD

Will do another time when the weather is better as it needs time to roam about

Hilda Florence Letitia Anna PEARE

Not a clue! But have had a chat with local historian that helps out at the library and he’s going to have a little search to see if he can find anything

Clementina ADDISON

Photograph of memorial – but it is glass, so is pretty poor quality due to being transparent

Margaret Alice BARON

Photo of church board & memorial (I know you said you have the memorial but I noticed another nurse listed there, and 2 other women listed on the church board inside – Not sure if you have these already?) . . . I will call and ask RE: turning up at the ambulance drill hall as it was shut when I did other Accrington ones.

Eleanor DODWELL

Photographed (She isn’t listed on the memorial, but on the steps at the side (the steps are headed as WW2))

Sarah Mabel GASH

Photo of grave (which is in a cute little farm now!)

Ada KAY

The plot you had was incorrect (literally 30ft but supposed to hold 500 people! All grassed over, but I took pictures anyway) – according to the website it’s 1I (http://apps1.oldham.gov.uk/bacasweb/GenDecDetails.aspx?ID=221430) – However, this headstone doesn’t have any of the people listed in Ada’s plot (http://apps1.oldham.gov.uk/bacasweb/GenLocDetails.aspx?ID=41935) So I’m not sure what this means, because the graves are all in order, it definitely is 1I 2908 . . . The local monument was robbed in the 60’s or 70’s and was never replaced – the newer monument doesn’t have her name on (I have photos of both if you need/want them)

Eliza KENNEDY

Got a photo, but. . . .

The cemetery is split up and fenced off – I did climb over the fences into each of the 3 sections – It’s in a real mess; totally overgrown, covered in litter and everything is smashed up. There were less than 10 headstones with 1900’s dates on them, everything else is 17-1800’s (and they are in no kind of order at all!) I got a photograph of the general area – it was impossible to read 95% of the headstones! I have emailed/phoned the church asking for any help, so as soon as they get in touch I’ll go back

Hilda READ

Photo of grave – not listed on memorial board inside (have pictures of this too just to be sure if you want/need)

Christina RENNIE

Photographed (She isn’t listed on the memorial, but on the steps at the side (the steps are headed as WW2))

Florence SETTLE

Photo of headstone – there is a tier missing and it was partially submerged

Margaret VALENTINE

Photograph of plot (no headstone) – Phillips Park Cemetery is my local & is in order so I know for definite this is the exact plot

May WYLIE

Photographed – on the monument

Lex

Hey Jim,

I've spent the last hour trying to email you, but I keep getting failure to deliver notices; I've emailed 15 or so other people within that same time and they all received them, so I'm assuming there's a problem your end. Can you send me an email at some point to see if it works so I can get those photo's over to you

Thanks, Lex

Lex, Two of your emails have got through - those relating to Addison and Gash. The attachments are 28M and 22M respectively. These are huge emails and "the system" does not like emails of this size. My service provider probably thinks that a virus is attached because of the size and is shutting the door to stop them coming through. You will find that they will probably get through if you send more emails with, say, only two photographs attached. Regards, Jim

Lex, Two of your emails have got through - those relating to Addison and Gash. The attachments are 28M and 22M respectively. These are huge emails and "the system" does not like emails of this size. My service provider probably thinks that a virus is attached because of the size and is shutting the door to stop them coming through. You will find that they will probably get through if you send more emails with, say, only two photographs attached. Regards, Jim

Ah, fair enough, I'll send 2 per email then to see if that makes it easier

get ready for some serious spamming then!

Lex (littlemiss) has provided a chunk of my Lancashire requirements so time for an update. Also Taxal in Derbyshire is a new one.

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Monymusk, Peterhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Exeter, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)
ESSEX, East Ham
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine)(Dunboe), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed),

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Greater Accrington

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden
NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Fenton, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

WORCESTERSHIRE, Alvesbury
YORKSHIRE, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Hull, Normanton, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec
FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra and Dublin), Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte
U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Fallsington, Philadelphia, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr, York), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)
YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jim,

I'm waiting on a response from the St Johns ambulance (she said this could take a while!) so that one is coming - I have a few leads for Hilda Peare but not holding my breath, and I'll be heading to the Southport one's tomorrow.

Can you just confirm the names I've got left for Lancashire, my printouts have managed to confuse me (my writing is awful!), Thanks in advance

Hey Jim,

I'm waiting on a response from the St Johns ambulance (she said this could take a while!) so that one is coming - I have a few leads for Hilda Peare but not holding my breath, and I'll be heading to the Southport one's tomorrow.

Can you just confirm the names I've got left for Lancashire, my printouts have managed to confuse me (my writing is awful!), Thanks in advance

Lex, You have done a sterling job and only four are remaining. Of these four, two require some research and a third requires some foot-slogging. I am coming direct to you via email but for others who may be interested the ones left for Lancashire are 1) AINSDALE - Stella Rose Boue-Blandy, QAIMNS, on a memorial in St. John's Church. 2) ASHTON-IN-MAKERFIELD - Lady Mary Emmeline Laura Gerrard, VAD, cremated but remains/memorial likely to be in St. Thomas' churchyard/extension. 3) GREATER ACCRINGTON - Margaret Alice Baron, VAD, I know that you are well and truly on the case of this one. 4) MANCHESTER - Hilda Florence Letitia Peare, VAD. Another which I know that you are looking into.