Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Thank you Kenny. A shame that Annie's grave could not be obtained whilst your friend was there but perhaps next time. My requirements in Scotland are now down to a handful.

Sorry for the delay PC problems! If you could PM me an email address I will send you the photo.

I think I'm right in that you need 5 postings to be able to message Forum members direct. But my email address is jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk I look forward to hearing from you.

Jim

I am researching the memorials for the museum in Teignmouth and we have no females mentioned there, but would be interested to know if you have come across any information about any that we might not know about for this area whilst you were covering Devon

Heather

Lille - there is a statue of Louise Marie Henriette Jeanne BETTIGNIES in Boulevard Camot, Lille. I am not sure if this is the same one as is outside the Musee de Cannoniers but if there are two then I need that one, too. Lastly there is a street named after her (Place de Bettignies) and I would welcome a photograph of the street sign.

Jim,

We are having a few days in Lille at the end of next week, so I should be able to do this

cheers Martin B

Jim

I am researching the memorials for the museum in Teignmouth and we have no females mentioned there, but would be interested to know if you have come across any information about any that we might not know about for this area whilst you were covering Devon

Heather

Heather, I live three miles away. My manuscript is a Word document and so searchable. Searching for Teignmouth I have :-

Margaret CAREW, VAD - the family were lodging in 9 Powderham Terrace at the time of the 1901 Census. Just passing through, I guess, as the father was vicar at Rattery and Margaret is buried at South Brent.

Teresa MARCH, VAD - the family lived at Pentlands, New Road, East Teignmouth, Teignmouth. Teresa was born there in 1892 and died in Christchurch, Bournemouth. Although in Teignmouth for about 30 years it seems that the family had moved on as by 1911 they were in Ramsgate, Kent.

The closest WW1 serving female to Teignmouth is buried in Torquay and I pay my respects every couple of years by visiting.

Many thanks, Jim

Have not come across them, but will have a look later this week, most interesting. Hope you will come and see us at the exhibition. Do you have any objects or info re WW1 you may have seen our adverts going out as we are covering this over the whole of the five years starting in August?

Regards

Heather

Hello Jim

- FIFE, Scoonie. - Mary Sutherland Brown GRAY, has her name on a wooden panel in Scoonie Parish Church.

3 photographs from Scoonie Parish Church on their way. Courtesy of another friend, Janice Gibson.

Regards

Kenny

Heather - I will make it to the exhibition at some time. Sorry, nothing of local interest to provide.

Murmie - photographs received with grateful thanks.

Kenny - photographs safely received and thank you very much for helping me whittle my Scottish requirements down to single figures.

Jim

Noseying as I do, I had a look for Annie Craik and Rebecca Munro on the web. Rebecca Munro's name is on the Montrose War Memorial, however, Annie's name is not.

See here for photographs - http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic1170-0-asc-0.html

However, Annie is interred at MONTROSE (SLEEPYHILLOCK) CEMETERY. See here -

http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic199-0-asc-15.html

If I ever get up that way, I now know where to go!

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, You can amend your list and take Montrose off. As Annie isn't on the War Memorial there are no other requirements from there. I have Annie's grave, also Rebecca's grave and her name on the Montrose War Memorial.

Jim, do you still require a photo from Dearnley Methodist Church? I'll be in Dearnley the Saturday after next and am trying to arrange access to the church.

Photos of Nellie Taylor, Southport, sent to you.

Jim, do you still require a photo from Dearnley Methodist Church? I'll be in Dearnley the Saturday after next and am trying to arrange access to the church.

Photos of Nellie Taylor, Southport, sent to you.

Yes, I still require the name of Staff Nurse VALENTINE that is apparently on a memorial board in Dearnley Methodist Church, New Road, Littleboroughg, near Rochdale. I know nothing else about her as yet. Photograph re Nellie Taylor safely received. Sorry that I haven't acknowledged but still in my inbox to be processed.

What's the Ogley Hay name you need? I have photos from Brownhills which I think includes Ogley Hay names.

What's the Ogley Hay name you need? I have photos from Brownhills which I think includes Ogley Hay names.

This is a difficult one in that the woman whose grave I am after was a fraud. She had a military funeral having claimed that she had served in South Africa at the turn of the century then was at Mons where she claimed that she had nursed. That said, I would like a photograph of her grave not least to see if the grave marker, if there is one, perpetuated the falsehood. She was Ruth Elizabeth Taylor who died in Birmingham on the 4th January 1917 and is buried in Ogley Hay Cemetery. Her name may be as Bagley.

ps tried to message you direct but the system refused me. Presume that your in-box is full.

I went through St James' churchyard extension a couple of years ago (Ogley Hay is the old name, the area is more widely known as Brownhills now) photographing the CWGC headstones and also all the family headstones I could find which mentioned WW1 and WW2 deaths. I didn't notice Ruth Elizabeth Taylor/Bagley. Find A Grave doesn't help either.

She's not named on either Brownhills' memorial or the memorial panelling in the church although there's an Elijah Bagley and two Taylors.

I went through St James' churchyard extension a couple of years ago (Ogley Hay is the old name, the area is more widely known as Brownhills now) photographing the CWGC headstones and also all the family headstones I could find which mentioned WW1 and WW2 deaths. I didn't notice Ruth Elizabeth Taylor/Bagley. Find A Grave doesn't help either.

She's not named on either Brownhills' memorial or the memorial panelling in the church although there's an Elijah Bagley and two Taylors.

Under the circumstances I think that we can dismiss a CWGC headstone. Husband was Amos Bagley.

Time for an update. Devonshire ones added but I should be able to get to these myself, in time.

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Monymusk, Peterhead
ANGUS, Forfar
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

CLACKMANNONSHIRE, Alloa
DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Budleigh Salterton, Exeter, Exmouth, Plymouth
ESSEX, East Ham
FIFE, Lundin
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Beckford
GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial), Southampton (Old Cemetery),

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine)(Dunboe), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Littleborough, Manchester, Mellor, Southport, Thornham, Walton, Weaste
LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green (including unmarked plots), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden
NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
PERTHSHIRE, Perth
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Fenton, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Lowestoft
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WARWICKSHIRE, Great Alne
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)
YORKSHIRE, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hull, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec
FRANCE, Estaires (2), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra), Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte
U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)
YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Hi Jim,

Beckford is on the Gloucestershire / Worcestershire border.

If no-one is local I can take a look over the next few weeks but cannot guarantee

when. Give me the details and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Jim,

Beckford is on the Gloucestershire / Worcestershire border.

If no-one is local I can take a look over the next few weeks but cannot guarantee

when. Give me the details and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thank you, Simon. Kathleen Cecilia Furber BENNETT is a VAD buried in St. John the Baptist churchyard. There is also a stained glass window in the church in memory to her, and her younger sister, Noel. I would like photographs of both.

Dearnley Methodist Church

Staff Nurse Valentine wasn't a fatality, her name is on the roll of honour of those who served. That being the case do you want copies emailed to you? (I had to attend service this morning to get the photos!)

IMG_5234.jpg

IMG_5232.jpg

Jim who are you looking for in Sheffield ?

Jim who are you looking for in Sheffield ?

I am after :-

Emily HARTMAN, VAD, whose name is on a Roll of Honour in Wilson Road Synagogue, Sheffield.

P. BANKS, VAD, whose name is on the Sharrow Vale Road Wesleyan Reform Church Roll of Honour, Sheffield

Sister CUMMINGS, whose name is on the St. Andrew's Unitarian Church Roll of Honour at Upper Hanover Street, Sheffield.

Elsie Fletcher, and Grace Jane WILLIAMS, VAD, whose names are on the St. Peter's Roll of Honour, Abbeydale Road, Sheffield.