Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Edgmond, Shropshire. I have Annie Ruff's name on the village memorial, do you need that?

I'll be in Philadelphia PA in April so let me know your requirements and I'll see what I can do. Also, planning a visit to Nova Scotia for later this year.

Steve, I think that you are right. What I have got is the best that I can expect. Unless you are a glutton for punishment perhaps you should now leave it, Jim

I'm sure you are right Jim, but I had more from the lady at Ashford council today. She has been to the cemetery to get to the bottom of the problem and sent a very detailed account of how she found the two Sparkes graves and how I can follow her footsteps, so I feel honour-bound to do it. She also sent some photographs, which I will send on to you if I don't get better ones myself. I've pencilled Sunday in again, although I will look at the weather to see if another day may be better.

It appears that CWGC have an incorrect grave ref for a Pte A Essex, which threw me last Sunday, and I also noticed a number of Canadian graves (two with unusual headstones) which didn't come up on the CWGC website when I did a search, so all in all this exercise could be useful in a number of ways.

Regards,

Steve.

I'm sure you are right Jim, but I had more from the lady at Ashford council today. She has been to the cemetery to get to the bottom of the problem and sent a very detailed account of how she found the two Sparkes graves and how I can follow her footsteps, so I feel honour-bound to do it. She also sent some photographs, which I will send on to you if I don't get better ones myself. I've pencilled Sunday in again, although I will look at the weather to see if another day may be better.

It appears that CWGC have an incorrect grave ref for a Pte A Essex, which threw me last Sunday, and I also noticed a number of Canadian graves (two with unusual headstones) which didn't come up on the CWGC website when I did a search, so all in all this exercise could be useful in a number of ways.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve, Keep grinding on. You have the footsteps of the Ashford Council lady that should get you there. There is a Pooh Bear story about walking in the snow in a circle around a bramble bush and being confused when finding one's own footprints.

Edgmond, Shropshire. I have Annie Ruff's name on the village memorial, do you need that?

I'll be in Philadelphia PA in April so let me know your requirements and I'll see what I can do. Also, planning a visit to Nova Scotia for later this year.

Berenice, I have a photograph of the Edgmond War Memorial with the name of Annie Ruff. She is actually buried in the cemetery there but unmarked. I had heard that someone was compaigning to get a grave marker added but I have heard no more.

As for Philadelphia and Nova Scotia I need :-

New Cathedral Cemetery, Philadelphia - Anna M. Murphy, U.S. Army Nurse (Red Cross) who died 28th September 1918.

All of the female names on the Halifax Memorial, Nova Scotia

Westville (Auburn) cemetery, Nova Scotia - Isabel Katherine Cumming, nursing sister, C.A.M.C. who died 4th February 1921.

bronze plaque at Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia - includes the name of Minnie Asenath Follette, Margaret MacLoed, Rebecca McIntosh all nursing sisters, C.A.M.C.

Halifax (St. John's) Cemetery, Nova Scotia - Grace Mabel Grant, nursing sister, C.A.M.C. who died 12th September 1919 and is buried in a family plot here.

Hillsborough (Elmwood) Protestant Cemetery, Mabou, Nova Scotia - Myrtle Hunt, nursing sister, C.A.M.C. who died 16th January 1918.

Donkin (St. Luke's) Cemetery, Nova Scotia - Margaret MacLoed, nursing sister, C.A.M.C. who died 20th December 1919 (plot P.3.R.5.G.2)

Truro Cenotaph, Truro, Nova Scotia - on it is believed to be the name of Rebecca McIntosh, nursing sister, C.A.M.C. who died 7th March 1919.

Steve, Keep grinding on. You have the footsteps of the Ashford Council lady that should get you there. There is a Pooh Bear story about walking in the snow in a circle around a bramble bush and being confused when finding one's own footprints.

Jim, it's taking longer than expected but these searches are always interesting so it's not a grind. The Pooh story does seem apposite though, as I know I've done several circles to little effect, so once more for luck!

Jim, it's taking longer than expected but these searches are always interesting so it's not a grind. The Pooh story does seem apposite though, as I know I've done several circles to little effect, so once more for luck!

Jim, at last I have what (I hope) you want. With the help of Sharon at Ashford BC I found both graves and took several pictures, so all I have to do is attach them! It's been a long time since I did it and I'm struggling, but I'm sure I'll get there in the end. I took a couple of Isabelle's grave in case they are of use and also have scanned the relevant map and layout of the graves, which may be of use if anyone wishes to pay their respects.

I have just discovered that my pics are too big to upload, so I will have to go away and rejig them, then try again.

Watch this space,

Steve.

Jim, at last I have what (I hope) you want. With the help of Sharon at Ashford BC I found both graves and took several pictures, so all I have to do is attach them! It's been a long time since I did it and I'm struggling, but I'm sure I'll get there in the end. I took a couple of Isabelle's grave in case they are of use and also have scanned the relevant map and layout of the graves, which may be of use if anyone wishes to pay their respects.

I have just discovered that my pics are too big to upload, so I will have to go away and rejig them, then try again.

Watch this space,

Steve.

Steve, I would prefer them big so please send direct to me as attachments to emails. My email address is :- jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk Thank you.

Steve, I would prefer them big so please send direct to me as attachments to emails. My email address is :- jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk Thank you.

Jim, sent as requested, so saving me some headscratching. I know we did it this way previously, but your email address had disappeared, so thanks for posting it up again.

Steve.

Steve, most grateful and I have thanked you direct. Excellent photographs. You must have been an archaeologist in a previous life, Jim

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Genehunter @ Aug 18 2007, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jim:

Can do the following:

Aylmer

Hensall

Listowel

St. Thomas

Stratford

G

Genehunter, Many moons afterwards but I have now found the grave of Kathleen E. Symmes. She is in Bellevue Cemetery, Aylmer.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jim,

Can you remind me of your needs in Crynant, Llandough and Swansea please.

I have helped you out with some other photos a while ago and have had these details before but have misplaced them.

All the best

Cam

Hi Jim,

Can you remind me of your needs in Crynant, Llandough and Swansea please.

I have helped you out with some other photos a while ago and have had these details before but have misplaced them.

All the best

Cam

Hello Cam,

CRYNANT - Elizabeth THOMAS, ex QAIMNS, died on the 27th September 1921and was buried at Crynant. Unfortunately I do not know which cemetery. It seems to be a village of about 600 souls so probably only one cemetery and not too large.

LLANDOUGH - In Llandough Baptist Church there should be a brass plaque Roll of Honour with the name of Emily Ada PICKFORD, Y.M.C.A. on it.

SWANSEA - The name of Edith Ellen COPHAM, munition worker, is said to be on the Swansea Cenotaph, The Esplanade, Mumbles Road, Swansea.

- Esther DEVONALD, munition worker, is buried in plot 155F, Danygraig Cemetery, Swansea. Many munition workers were buried without a grave stone. I don't know if Esther is one of them but a view of the plot will still be needed.

- Mary FITZMAURICE, munition worker, is buried in Danygraig Cemetery, plot 251W. Same comment as above applies. Her name is also on the Swansea Cenotaph.

- Elizabeth FOULKES, munition worker, is on the Swansea Cenotaph.

- Catherine HILL, munition worker, is buried in Danygraig Cemetery, plot 123S. her name is also on the Swansea Cenotaph.

- Jane JENKINS, munition worker, is on the Swansea Cenotaph.

- Lizzie JOHN, munition worker, is on the Swansea Cenotaph.

- Mary OWEN, munition worker, is buried in Danygraig Cemetery. I have no plot number for her but please keep a look out for her. Her name is also on the Swansea Cenotaph.

- Eleanor THOMAS, munition worker, is on the Swansea Cenotaph.

- Dorothy May WATSON, munition worker is buried in Danygraig Cemetery. I have no plot number but please keep a look out for her.

It is quite possible that there are more women on the Swansea Cenotaph than I have listed. They are, apparently, listed together under "Munition Workers". I also have a load more girls from the Swansea area where I have, as yet, been unable to find their final resting place. Most are from the munition explosions that happened there.

• 4 weeks later...

An update of my requirements are now due. Find-A-Grave has seen quite a number of US ones satisfied since the last time.

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Peterhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Theale

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive

CHESHIRE, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale

DERBYSHIRE, Bolsover, Linton, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)
ESSEX, East Ham
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed),

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Chadderton, Greater Accrington, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan

NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton, North Collingham
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Baswich/Berkswich, Ogley Hay, Uttoxeter

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft, Mellis
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

WORCESTERSHIRE, Alvesbury
YORKSHIRE, Allerton Bywater, Barnsley, Hampsthwaite, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Headingly, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Co. Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr, York), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Jim - what do you need in Harrogate and Camberwell? I may be able to help.

Thank you for coming forward. I think that I may as well take the Harrogate requirement off my list. I am looking for the United Methodist Church Memorial. Roy Evans has tried to find the it and enquiries of the Harrogate Methodist Circuit suggests that it was originally in the Victoria Park Church. This was closed in 1953 and demolished soon afterwards. The records were transferred to the North Yorkshire County Record Office at Northallerton but the whereabouts of the memorial is currently unknown. As for Camberwell I need a photograph of the grave marker (if there is one) for Kathleen Harding who is in grave 26626, plot 107, Camberwell Cemetery. She was interred on the 10th November 1920. This is more of an elimination process as there is another candidate in Northampton so I am hoping that the grave marker will give a clue.

John, thank you for coming forward.

COFTON HACKETT :- In the churchyard is the grave of Frederick Impey. On his grave marker is mention of Elizabeth Stevens Impey, his daughter, who was lost when the SS Persia was lost off Crete. The family were Quakers so not sure why he is in a churchyard which presumably would be C of E. Perhaps my information is wrong and it's a cemetery but I am sure that the place is quite small.

GREAT ALNE :- Eliza Millicent Elvens, QARNNS, (also known as Elsie Impey, died 30/12/15) is listed on the Great Alne War Memorial and also on a Roll of Honour on or in the Great Alne Memorial Hall. Unfortunately this may mean finding a keyholder but from experience people can be most helpful in this respect.

Hi, re Eliza Millicent Elvens, QARNNS, (also known as Elsie Impey. I don't get the connection between these two people, except that they both died on the same day. One Elsie Impey, near the coast of Crete and the other Eliza Millicent Elvens on HMS Natal in Scotland.

John, thank you for coming forward.

COFTON HACKETT :- In the churchyard is the grave of Frederick Impey. On his grave marker is mention of Elizabeth Stevens Impey, his daughter, who was lost when the SS Persia was lost off Crete. The family were Quakers so not sure why he is in a churchyard which presumably would be C of E. Perhaps my information is wrong and it's a cemetery but I am sure that the place is quite small.

GREAT ALNE :- Eliza Millicent Elvens, QARNNS, (also known as Elsie Impey, died 30/12/15) is listed on the Great Alne War Memorial and also on a Roll of Honour on or in the Great Alne Memorial Hall. Unfortunately this may mean finding a keyholder but from experience people can be most helpful in this respect.

Hi, re Eliza Millicent Elvens, QARNNS, (also known as Elsie Impey. I don't get the connection between these two people, except that they both died on the same day. One Elsie Impey, near the coast of Crete and the other Eliza Millicent Elvens on HMS Natal in Scotland.

My mistake. I shouldn't have posted two women in the same post. I copy/pasted (also known as Elsie Impey) into the wrong place. It should have been between "Impey," and "his daughter".

Hi Jim, who are you after in Ashton In Makerfield? I was there last week getting a couple for the St.Helens Rolls of Honour.

Ste

There is a splendid monument in St. Thomas' Church, Ashton in Makerfield erected by her son and daughter that reads "In affectionate remembrance of Mary Emmeline Laura widow of William Cansfield 2nd Baron Gerard of Bryn of this parish where she was deeply beloved for her kindness and benevolence to the poor and needy, and for her patriotic work during the Great War (1914 - 1918). Born 5th November 1854. Died at Garswood 19th February 1918". Lady Gerard is on the local war memorial (I have a photograph of that) but not the personal memorial that I have mentioned above. I know not where she is buried so she may be there, too, or the memorial acts as her grave marker.

• 1 month later...

A few more UK ones added and in particular Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Derbyshire, Lancashire, Monmouthshire, Staffordshire, Sussex and Yorkshire.

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Peterhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Theale

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive

DERBYSHIRE, Bolsover, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)
ESSEX, East Ham
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed),

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Chadderton, Greater Accrington, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan

NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Barton Seagrave, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Gotham, Misterton, North Collingham,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Baswich/Berkswich, Ogley Hay, Uttoxeter

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft, Mellis
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

WORCESTERSHIRE, Alvesbury
YORKSHIRE, Allerton Bywater, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Headingly, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Guest hattiedog

Hi Jim

Please send details of requirements for Greater Accrington as I am over that way at the end of the month.

Thanks, Fiona

Hi Jim

Please send details of requirements for Greater Accrington as I am over that way at the end of the month.

Thanks, Fiona

Fiona, please contact me direct and I will give you the details. Thank you. jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Jim Strawbridge, on 02 Jun 2010 - 01:03 AM, said:

DUBLIN - A lost cause is Josephine Mary CRILLY, VAD, whose grave is lost. Also Eleanor King, VAD and Iza Mahony, VAD. Dublin newspapers of the day may reveal them.

No longer a lost cause - Eleanor King is in plot 321, SW section, Deansgrange cemetery, Dublin - buried with her brother-in-law.

• 1 month later...

Jim, who do you need in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island? When I get my holiday photos sorted out I have some from Halifax and Truro, Nova Scotia, for you.