Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Mildred BARBER:

I think we are looking at 2 different people here:

There is a death registration for Mildred Barber in the Risbridge Registration District in the 2nd Quarter of 1916 but the newspaper article is reporting an accident in September.

There is also a death registration for a Millie V BARBER in the Yarmouth Registration District in the 3rd Quarter of 1916.

CGM 

4 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

1) Millie Violet Barber is the biggest surprise. I have her as Mildred Marber and whom, according to the York Minster panels, was a munition worker. Obviously the same woman but what working in a dye-house has to do with munitions I have no idea. Her father was a railway signalman at Stoke by Clare Entire, West Suffolk.

I had it in the back of my head that the definition of war munitions can be very extensively scoped, so looked for an on-line definition. The Wikipedia article on the relevant British Great War definition probably gives as good a clue as any as to why Millie Barber was included.

The Munitions of War Act 1915 was a British Act of Parliament promulgated during the First World War which brought private companies supplying the armed forces under the tight control of the newly created Ministry of Munitions, regulating wages, hours and employment conditions.

The Act forbade strikes and lockouts and replaced them with compulsory arbitration. It set up a system of controlling war industries. It established munitions tribunals that were special courts to enforce good working practices. It suspended, for the duration, restrictive practices by trade unions. It limited labor mobility between jobs. The courts ruled the definition of munitions to be broad enough to include textile workers and dock workers. (My emphasis).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munitions_of_War_Act_1915

I was about to go and check for a death of a Millie Barber in the GRO Death Register to make sure it wasn't a typo in the newspaper article, but CGM has addressed that.

So was the person you were aware of a "Marber" or a "Barber" as per CGM.

Edited by PRC

PRC.  Cock up on my front. It should have read Barber and I have gone back and amended my original post.

I am coming around to CMGs thoughts that I had the wrong Millie/Mildred Barber. This one meets the bill better.

MILDRED BARBER

Her birth, as Mildred Barber, was registered in the fourth quarter 1898 in the Wisbech (includes the Walpoles) registration district. A red herring is that the birth of a Millie Violet Barber was registered in the fourth quarter 1897 in the West Ham registration district but this a coincidence. The 1901 census finds the family living at Thornmoor Field, Walpole St. Peter, Norfolk. William Henry Barber (aged 26, b. Walpole St. Andrew, Norfolk) is an agricultural labourer married to Florence Barber (nee Coy, aged 24, b. Clenchwarton, Norfolk). They have three children being Herbert Victor Barber (aged 3, d. King's Lynn in 1959), Millie Barber (aged 2) and Florence Ethel Barber (aged 8 months). All born in Walpole St. Peter. The 1911 census finds the family living at Station Farm, Pentney, Norfolk. William (now showing birthplace as Walpole, Norfolk) is a farmer who had been married to Florence (now showing birthplace as Walpole, Norfolk) for 14 years and had four children of which three had survived. These were at home being Herbert, Mildred and Ethel. Her death, as Millie V. Barber was registered in the third quarter 1916 in the Yarmouth registration district. She was shown as aged 20.

** UNLESS **

The Millie Violet Barber born in West Ham is actually the right one !!!!

Perhaps finding her grave and information on headstone (if there is one) will help.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Jim,

Even Brigadier-Generals get one wrong occasionally J

I’ve walked round the main Yarmouth Cemetery a couple of times in the past but don’t remember a Millie Barber but then I wouldn’t have been looking specifically.

Which throws up a problem – none of the Millie’s you’ve identified would have been 20 in September 1916, plus as far as I’m aware the death would have normally been registered with her birth name (unless she had changed her name by deed poll), not a known as name.

However, don’t throw out your West Ham girl yet, as on the 1901 census there is a 3 year old Millie V. Baker, born East London, who was recorded living at 7 Priory Street, Gorleston, Great Yarmouth. She lives there with her parents George A, (34, a Steamship Engineer from Norton Subcourse, Norfolk) and Mildred, (28, born Heckingham, Norfolk) As well as Mildred their other children are James A., (8, born Yarmouth), Emma  E, (6, born Yarmouth) and George A, (10 months, born Gorleston, Suffolk). The boundary between Yarmouth and Gorleston was where the old county boundary used to lie – it subsequently moved south and was at one point proposed to go down to Lowestoft, but that’s another story.

On the 1911 census the family were living at 3 Shreeves Passage, Row 31, Great Yarmouth. Parents George, (43, a Fisherman with the Herring Fleet, born Norton Subcourse) and Mildred, (38, now said to have been born Loddon, Norfolk), have been married 19 years and have had 9 children, of which 6 were then still alive. As well as Millie, (13) the other children still at home are Emma Elizabeth, (16), George, (10), Daisy, (5) and William, (4) – the last two both born Great Yarmouth.

I couldn’t find a baptism for Millie online, but I could potentially find one for her older sister. An Emma Mildred Elizabeth, born 27th August 1894, was baptised at St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth on the 21st October 1894. Parents were George Albert, a Fisherman, and Mildred “Jame” – (possible transcription error there). The family were living then at Yarmouth.

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5510e3f7e937907e5fec7f76?search_id=57ffc747f493fd2287121a6a

In an attempt to check out if the family may have moved since the 1911 census I took a look at the Norfolk Register of Electors which are available annually up to the 1915 edition on the FamilySearch site. Note, this would have been the edition prepared late in 1914 for use in any elections during 1915.

On the 1911-12 register a George Barber was entitled to vote in Parliamentary, County and Parish Elections as he is the (male) householder of a dwelling house at 3, Row 30, Great Yarmouth. He was also there on the next edition but doesn’t appear to be in Yarmouth after that.

1911-12 Source: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2HB8-DBY

1912-13 Source: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2HB8-T5M

My understanding is that unless you were a land or property owner, there was a minimum residency qualification for parliamentary voting at that time. If you moved house you didn’t have to serve the qualifying period again if it had already been met and you were continuously entitled to vote – if you have a look at the scans attached to links you will see entries on the page marked “successive” and in the column for the property qualifying for the vote there will be the previous address as well as the current one. Via this it can be possible to track movements for heads of household in Norfolk between censuses. Unfortunately after working through the many George Barbers, and one George Albert, scattered across the county in 1913, I could not find one that had moved from Great Yarmouth.

Just in case there had been a mis-transcription I also used details of other occupants of Row 30 on the 1912-1913 census to track down the relevant page of the 1913-1914 edition and someone else had definitely moved into number 3. (Out of interest, on the 1911-12, 1912-13 and 1913-14 editions, there was no-one recorded as eligible to vote at 3, Row 31, the address given on the 1911 census).

There are many reasons why he could have dropped off the Norfolk register in 1913 – death, insanity, imprisonment, moving outside the county – Suffolk was just a few hundred yards away, but their Electoral records are not so freely available, or even the country, or he could simply have moved in with someone else and as a non-householder lost his right to vote.

None of which helps with where Millie was buried, but I suspect it was wherever her parents were living at the time of her death.

Finally a note about the fishing industry in Great Yarmouth, as the stated age of Millie at the time of her death is still nagging me. Every year the fishing fleets of the east coast, starting from Scotland, following the migrating Herring fleet ending up at the East Anglian costal ports of Yarmouth and Lowestoft. Large numbers of young Scottish girls followed the fleet to gut and clean and salt and pickle the catch, swelling the towns population. Many stayed and married local boys. A Millie Violet of the right age could have been one of those. Born in Scotland in 1895/96, (if she existed), she would not appear on the GRO index of births for England and Wales. Similarly her father could have relocated anywhere from Grimsby or Hull to Arbroath and Aberdeen.

If it will help anyone track her parents down, the baptism of George Albert Barber, no date of birth recorded, took place at St Mary, Norton Subcourse on the 16th April 1867.

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_records/55107f7ee937900ae84cb68e?search_id=57ffe7e3f493fd221d12289c

The marriage of George Albert Barber, aged 25 and a Bachelor from Great Yarmouth and Mildred Jane Spurden, aged 19 and a spinster resident in Reedham, were married at St John the Baptist, Reedham, Norfolk on the 28th July 1892. George, a Fisherman, lists his father as James Gibbs, a Fisherman, while Mildred lists hers as George Forder, Ferryman.

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5510bfabe937907e5fa2af04?search_id=57ffe8f0f493fd23831218ce

Mildred Spurden was baptised in the Loddon Union Workhouse Chapel at Heckingham on the 12th January 1873.

http://freereg2.freereg.org.uk/search_records/55107ee1e937900ae84bb3bc?search_id=57ffeaa7f493fd221d1228da

regards,

Peter

Peter, Wow! What a fine bit of research. I think that you may have cracked it. One small bit to add. In 1901 George was a steamship engineer. In 1911 he was a fisherman with the Herring Fleet. Useful, I would say, to have a fisherman out there in the deep, blue yonder with engineering skills. Having lived both in Brixham and Newlyn I am aware of the high casualty rate amongst fishermen. The fact that you haven't found him could be because he was lost at sea. No obvious candidate on BMD but, if I recall correctly, seamen lost at sea were not recorded in death registers. And it would be a menacing industry to be in once the war was under way. I only mention this as a possibility rather than a probability.     

10 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The fact that you haven't found him could be because he was lost at sea. No obvious candidate on BMD but, if I recall correctly, seamen lost at sea were not recorded in death registers. And it would be a menacing industry to be in once the war was under way. I only mention this as a possibility rather than a probability.     

Jim,

My knowledge of historical English Maritime Law is based on a hazy recollection of a couple of lectures and an essay done over 30 years ago, so hopefully someone here can speak with more authority. If someone died at sea on a British flagged ship which was outside British Territorial Waters, (then three miles) and the body was available then the equivalent of a Coroners inquest was held by the Admiralty Court. If the body was not available then no inquest was held, and after a year and a day the next of kin could go to court and get them declared legally dead. Both routes had their own record keeping - I'm guessing here but I bet they didn't feed into the General Registrars Office at that time. As you can imagine, there was also great scope for a death not to be officially recorded at all - a wife left destitute for a year might not be in any financial position to go to court.

So we have one, potentially two Millie's who could be a candidate, and who might also be the Mildred Barber recorded at York Minster.

Millie Violet, born East London\West Ham, who definitely lived in the Yarmouth\ Gorleston area  but who would only have been aged 19 at date of death and whose father disappeared from the Electoral Register after 1912, but for whom there is no obvious death or Probate record between 1911 and 1916. Millie presumably either continued to live in Great Yarmouth or was directed back to work there by the War Ministry \ Ministry of Munitions. This Millie was likely to have been buried where her parent(s) were living - which is pure guess work.

It could be a complete red herring but the death of a George A Barber, aged 74, (so born c1867), was recorded in the Grimsby District of Lincolnshire in Q1 of 1941 while a Mildred Barber, aged 78, (so born c1874) was recorded in the same District in Q1 of 1952.

One line of enquiry might be if someone has access to Merchant Seamans records - if George had already tried taking his steamship engineering knowledge down to London to seek work, he may have gone back to sea on the coastal trade or even the high seas. Such records might provide a track of his home address for each trip that he signed on.

The alternative is a hypothetical Millie Violet, born Scotland 1895-1896 who moved to Yarmouth post April 1911 to work and once again her final resting place is pure guesswork.

I have a re-visit to Great Yarmouth New Cemetery to do so I'll keep an eye out for Millie and hope we get lucky!

regards,

Peter

Hello Jim

What do you need at Edinburgh (Loanhead)?

Dunblane? Is this a different requirement from the one we already discussed for (I think) Grace Sharp?

Regards

Kenny

Kenny,

I am impressed that you are seeking out my listing on the previous page and looking for amendments.

You can forget Dunblane for the time being. My need relates to Jeanie E. McClymont who is buried there. The CWGC has accepted her for commemoration in July 2016. She is in a multiple family grave (you took the photograph) and I thought that I would just keep her on the list in case she gets her own CWGC headstone. I know that this can take several years.

Turning to Loanhead, I have Mary Galloway Williamson there. I have her name on the Loanhead Great War Memorial (I can always do with another) but Geoffrey Gillon has recently found her at grave 94, plot A, Loanhead Cemetery, Lasswade, Loanhead. She died 13th October 1918. She is a VAD and may prove to be one which the CWGC will commemorate now that they have expanded the rules to cover some of them. She died on the 13th October 1918. Geoff has recently placed her name on Find-A-Grave in the hope that a photographer will come forward. If you do decide on an away-day to snap it then perhaps you would consider adding it to Find-A-Grave, too.

On 12/10/2016 at 14:26, CGM said:

Mildred BARBER:

I think we are looking at 2 different people here:

There is a death registration for Mildred Barber in the Risbridge Registration District in the 2nd Quarter of 1916 but the newspaper article is reporting an accident in September.

There is also a death registration for a Millie V BARBER in the Yarmouth Registration District in the 3rd Quarter of 1916.

CGM 

Mildred BARBER:

There is an anomaly here as there is a death registration for Mildred Barber in the Risbridge Registration District in the 2nd Quarter of 1916 but the newspaper article is reporting an accident in September.

Following up the Suffolk Mildred BARBER (Risbridge Registration District) I have checked the list of women employees of the  New Explosive Works, Stowmarket and she is not listed.

CGM

I think that we can forget the Risbridge "Barber". I would put money on it being the Great Yarmouth "Barber" where the registration of death fits in with the newspaper article. There was a well-known silk factory there - Grout and Company - who also did dying.

http://www.ourgreatyarmouth.org.uk/page_id__343_path__0p3p85p.aspx

Jim,

I was looking for some information on a man possibly remembered on the War Memorial at Badingham, Suffolk and noticed from the Roll of Honour site that one name had been adding after the initial unveiling - Bessie Carley. She was an Assistant Matron, Territorial Force Nursing Service who died 26th April 1920 and was buried Badingham.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Suffolk/Badingham.html

Can I assume you are already aware of her headstone and the name being on the memorial?

There is a picture of the headstone available on Flickr, (someone elses' account, not mine).

5775692093_6117d1e02f.jpgAssistant Matron Bessie Carley, Royal Red Cross by Claire Parfrey, on Flickr

I've got a trip to nearby Framlingham pencilled in before Christmas, so let me know if you'd like me to stop by Badingham,

regards,

Peter

Peter, I have a photograph of the headstone and the photographer looked at the war memorial and told me that the name of Bessie Carley is NOT on there. Yet I have now checked following your comment above and she seems to be listed. So if you are passing nearby a photograph of her name on the war memorial would be appreciated. The war memorial seems to be at the divergence of two paths in the churchyard, Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Brought to the top again - here are my latest requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Maeshyfryd
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Sulham St. Nicholas

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Lampeter

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili

CARNARVONSHIRE, Phwllheli

CHESHIRE, Altrincham, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale

CORNWALL, Falmouth

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern

DERBYSHIRE, Linton, Ockbrook, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire), Pelton

ESSEX, East Ham

FIFESHIRE, St. Andrews

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Llantwit Major, Southerdown, Swansea, Ystalyfera,

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Oldbury on Severn

GWYNEDD, Boduan, Llanbedrog, New Quay, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Curdridge, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

HERTFORDSHIRE - Aldbury, Essendon, Welwyn

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Down (Bangor), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Gillingham, Swanscombe, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Eccles, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Sale, Walkden, Westhoughton, Wigan

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Whaplode Drove, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Ham, East Sheen, Frierns Barnet, Greenwich, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, Lewisham, Norwood x 2, Nunhead, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden, Woolwich

LOTHIAN Edinburgh, Loanhead

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan

NORFOLK, Sheringham

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Duston
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford

PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Burton-upon-Trent, Chasetown, Lichfield, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Ipswich, Lowestoft, Rushmere
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Burgh Heath, Chiddingfold, Guildford, Kingswood
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Eastbourne, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Smethwick
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Barnsley, Eston, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, South Anston, Staithes, Wakefield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus), Nova Scotia (12), Ontario (Brantford, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

off - London (Knightsbridge), Nottinghamshire (Gotham, Misterton, North Collingham), Oxfordshire (Tetsworth), Surrey (Wallington), Yorkshire (Redcar)

on - Aberdeenshire (Kirton), Berkshire (Sulham St. Nicholas), Cheshire (Altrincham), Derbyshire (Ockbrook), Durham (Pelton), Fifeshire (St. Andrews), Glamorganshire (Llantwit Major), Kent (Gillingham, Tunbridge Wells), Lancashire (Blackburn, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Sale, Westhoughton, Wigan), London (East Ham, Frierns Barnet, Greenwich, Havering, Kensal Green, Kensington, Lewisham, Nunhead, Woolwich), Lothian (Loanhead), Nottinghamshire (Nottingham), Staffordshire (Burton-upon-Trent), Suffolk (Ipswich), Surrey (Wallington), Yorkshire (Altofts, Eston, Low Moor, Staithes, Wakefield), Australia (New South Wales, Manley), Ireland, Co. Clare (Ennistymon)

Hello Jim,

What are your latest wants in Greenwich, Lewisham and Nunhead?

I just love the expeditions you send me on :unsure:

Phil

17 hours ago, Phil Evans said:

Hello Jim,

What are your latest wants in Greenwich, Lewisham and Nunhead?

I just love the expeditions you send me on :unsure:

Phil

Hello Phil,

GREENWICH

Eleanor DABNER, VAD. died 30th October 1918. buried plot C3/3/4022, Greenwich cemetery

Ellen Rosina PEARCE (aged 34) and Ellen Rosina PEARCE (aged 1), zeppelin casualties, died 25th August 1916. buried Woolwich cemetery, Greenwich

LEWISHAM

Elizabeth Emma Frances BEECHEY (aged 47), Helena BEECHEY (aged 3), Margaret BEECHEY (aged 7), civilians, died in a zeppelin raid on 7th September 1915. buried Brockley cemetery, Lewisham.

Mary Emma DANN, civilian, died 7th September 1915 in a zeppelin raid. buried Brockley cemetery, Lewisham.

Doris E. SUCKLING (aged 3) and Emily SUCKLING (aged 29), civilians, died 7th September 1915 in a zeppelin raid. buried Brockley cemetery, Lewisham.

NUNHEAD

Emily COPPARD, VAD who died in 1918 and believed to have been buried in Nunhead cemetery on the 19th November 1918.

I am sorry that only one of these has a plot number.

Jim

15 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Jim

I should have Redcar and Eston on file

what are your requirements

Ray

Hello Ray,

REDCAR

Jennie WALKER, VAD, died in 1921. She is buried in Redcar cemetery.

ESTON

Agnes Fanny HOLLINSHEAD, munition worker, (aged 16). died in the 4th quarter 1917. buried in Eston cemetery.

Sorry that I do not have plot numbers.

Jim

22 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Hello Phil,

GREENWICH

Eleanor DABNER, VAD. died 30th October 1918. buried plot C3/3/4022, Greenwich cemetery

Ellen Rosina PEARCE (aged 34) and Ellen Rosina PEARCE (aged 1), zeppelin casualties, died 25th August 1916. buried Woolwich cemetery, Greenwich

LEWISHAM

Elizabeth Emma Frances BEECHEY (aged 47), Helena BEECHEY (aged 3), Margaret BEECHEY (aged 7), civilians, died in a zeppelin raid on 7th September 1915. buried Brockley cemetery, Lewisham.

Mary Emma DANN, civilian, died 7th September 1915 in a zeppelin raid. buried Brockley cemetery, Lewisham.

Doris E. SUCKLING (aged 3) and Emily SUCKLING (aged 29), civilians, died 7th September 1915 in a zeppelin raid. buried Brockley cemetery, Lewisham.

NUNHEAD

Emily COPPARD, VAD who died in 1918 and believed to have been buried in Nunhead cemetery on the 19th November 1918.

I am sorry that only one of these has a plot number.

Jim

Leave it with me Jim,

Plot numbers aren't a problem.

Phil

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 10:39, Jim Strawbridge said:

1) Millie Violet Barber is the biggest surprise. I have her as Mildred Barber and whom, according to the York Minster panels, was a munition worker. Obviously the same woman but what working in a dye-house has to do with munitions I have no idea. Her father was a railway signalman at Stoke by Clare Entire, West Suffolk.

Picric acid was used as a dye as well as an explosive hence the conversion of the Dye industry to explosives manufacture. Apparently Picric acid was the first synthetic dye. 

Andy 

Jim,

I have spent the afternoon in armchair grave hunting.

Your Brockley Zeppelin casualties at Brockley are buried in two graves: A. Con. 1800 and A.Con. 1806. I will check when I next visit, but I don't think that they are individually marked, but are recorded on the memorial which appears to sit on A. Con. 1800. The area was over-buried in 1938.

From my notes:

Brockley Cemetery Zeppelin victim notes

Memorial Inscription

“Erected by the citizens of Deptford in memory of seventeen residents of the borough, hereon named, who were killed by bombs from German Zeppelins during air raids on the nights of September 7th 1915 and August 25th 1916.”

Buried in Grave A. Con. 1800

3 members of the Suckling family (1915), 5 members of the Beechey family (1915) and Richard Turner (1916). (9)

Buried in Grave A. Con. 1806 (all 1915)

2 members of the Dann family, 2 members of the Smith family, 2 members of the Scotten family, Florence Slade and Victor Davies (Daines on the memorial). (8)

I have some photos of the memorial that I took a couple of years ago - one general one (see below) and close ups of the two panels with the names on them. I will forward them on.

NUNHEAD

Emily Coppard is buried in Square 23, Grave 5644. This is a common grave, with 5 burials from 1859 and a further 5 from November 1918. I will refer you to post #1464 and the photos I sent you in February for May Elizabeth Shaw. No WW1 era graves are marked and it is jungle land.

WOOLWICH

The Pearce family grave is referenced as 34/776 and includes William George Turnbull Pearce, who, I assume, is Ellen's husband. Woolwich Cemetery is new territory to me and I will visit as soon as I get a chance.

GREENWICH

I can confirm that Eleanor Dabner is buried in 3. Con. 4022. This is a common grave with a total of 3 burials, all on 6th November 1918. I think I know roughly where it is, as some of my German PoWs were exhumed from nearby. There is little chance that it is marked, but I will check to make sure. Eleanor died at the nearby Brook War Hospital and Harry Allen CF officiated.

Phil

Brockley Zeppelin Memorial.jpg

On 27/11/2016 at 13:41, dink_and_pip said:

Picric acid was used as a dye as well as an explosive hence the conversion of the Dye industry to explosives manufacture. Apparently Picric acid was the first synthetic dye. 

Andy 

Thank you, Andy. I didn't know that.

Phil, Thank you very much indeed. Most helpful. I didn't know that you were so knowledgeable on the London zeppelin raids. I only gave information on where I knew casualties were buried. Do you know where the following are buried ?

Ann  and Gladys May Allen  (L31 - Eltham)

Ellen E. Funnell (L31 - Eltham)

Annie Dennington (Z14 - Braintree)

Lena Ford (Maida Vale)

Emma M. Glass (Camberwell)

Ella M. Hammond (Z14 - Braintree)

Ann Herbert (Z14 - Braintree)

Lily Lehrmann (LZ38 - London)

Eleanor Willis (LZ38 - Hackney)

I have loads more but have restricted the list to London and vicinity.

Jim

Jim,

As per my PM, I am not knowledgeable on London Zeppelin raids.

In case anyone else is able to pick up on your list, I have had limited success so far. Below are the ones I have located:

The Glass family are buried in Camberwell Old Cemetery. Grave 85/25077. Unless this is a special grave (other casualties are buried in what is probably an adjacent grave), there is next to no chance of finding it. I gave up with this cemetery long ago as the powers that be (Southwark Council?) just let it go to total rack and ruin under the pretext of providing a natural environment for little furry and feathered creatures.

The three Eltham casualties on your list are apparently buried in St John the Baptist Churchyard in Eltham.

My notes are on their way to you via email.

Phil

14 hours ago, Myrtle said:

Jim

Lena Ford's remains were interred in the States. 

Wikipedia says that. But I have been searching to find out where. I have found an entry in the Shreveport Times, Louisiana, dated 17th March 1918 - BURIED. London, March 16. -The funeral of Mrs. Lena Guilbert Ford and her son, Walter Ford, the two Americans who lost their lives in last week's air raid on London, was held today from the Church of St. Saviour, in Paddington borough". What I do not know is if this was purely a funeral service but it looks like they were buried according the the report. Perhaps they were exhumed and reinterred in the US.