Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

20210527_185716_resize_35.jpg.60e7f24f70d780a5ef6d374f64da670c.jpgAlice hilda Lancaster. I know you have a photo of her family grave do you also have a photo of her name on the monk Bretton war memorial 

On 16/02/2010 at 18:27, Jim Strawbridge said:

Florence JONES, nurse - buried in Crosby, St. Luke’s cemetery; plot B.431

Can anyone post a photo of the Florence Jones grave at Crosby? I was in the churchyard yesterday but didn't see a headstone. (Unless there isn't one?)

Still need to download my photos but I did find one for Phyllis May VAD if that's needed.

1 hour ago, PaulC78 said:

Can anyone post a photo of the Florence Jones grave at Crosby? I was in the churchyard yesterday but didn't see a headstone. (Unless there isn't one?)

Still need to download my photos but I did find one for Phyllis May VAD if that's needed.

Paul, For me that is bad news and good news. I can try and get a churchyard plan as we know the grave position if you are willing to go back. The good news is that I have a Phyllis May, VAD, in my data base but I had no idea where she was buried so she wasn't on my "photographs to get" list. She was born and died (aged 20) in the West Derby registration district so that seems to fit with Crosby. No census information that I can find and no BRCS record card as the only Phyllis May they have served around Kent. I should be most grateful to have a photograph of her grave, please.

2 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Now have a photo of the grave (buried with parents and sister) of Florence Jones so that can come off the list. Phyllis May still required, though.

On 30/05/2021 at 21:25, Jim Strawbridge said:

The good news is that I have a Phyllis May, VAD, in my data base but I had no idea where she was buried so she wasn't on my "photographs to get" list. She was born and died (aged 20) in the West Derby registration district so that seems to fit with Crosby. No census information that I can find and no BRCS record card as the only Phyllis May they have served around Kent. I should be most grateful to have a photograph of her grave, please.

I've just emailed you the photos Jim, but posting them here as well for the benefit of others.

Also named on the headstone is Adrian Robson May (her brother?) who was killed in France in 1916: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/39062/ADRIAN ROBSON MAY/

P1056440.jpg.af067badb6e509bf04d6f5f533db6c14.jpg

P1056444.jpg.01b1029fe6337d991a5c3ce93da04965.jpg

On 30/05/2021 at 21:25, Jim Strawbridge said:

I can try and get a churchyard plan as we know the grave position if you are willing to go back.

I probably will go back at some point. I see now that she is buried in section B, but it would still be helpful to know what the grave looks like.

P1056385.jpg.4803b89e65f1d4fd759e1994f881b601.jpg

Until Paul, almost as an aside, found Phyllis May's grave whilst looking for someone else in the churchyard, this is all that I had on Phyllis.

May

Phyllis

Rank/Title/Service Number: nurse                                                                             

Unit/Force: Voluntary Aid Detachment

Place/Date of Birth:

Place/Date of Death: 19/11/18

Place of Burial/Memorial: United Kingdom; Lancashire; Crosby; St. Luke’s cemetery

Remarks: The Nursing Memorial Appeal has this woman as a British Red Cross Society nurse. Phyllis May was born in the second quarter 1898 in the West Derby registration district. Her death was registered in the fourth quarter 1918 in the West Derby registration district. She was aged 20. Despite knowing her birth and death years we have been unable to find her in any censuses. We have not found a BRCS record card for her and her age is rather young for a nurse. We have found a British Red Cross Society record card (V.A.D./Kent Reserve) for a Miss Phyllis May who was engaged on 17th April 1918 as a nurse, She gave her address as c/o Miss Johnson, Burley Lodge, Sevenoaks, Kent. She was placed to Sholden Lodge, Warden House Auxiliary Hospital, Leigh, Deal from the 20th April 1918 until the 22nd July 1918 then to the War Hospital at Barnet.

It just shows how helpful to me these photographs are. The grave marker acts as a memorial to her brother who was killed in France in 1916. A CWGC search has provided his parent's names and address. The lad was only aged 19 and Phyllis was aged 20 so enough grief for one family due to the war. Next task is to try the census once again now that I have an address and parent's names. Paul, I mentioned that I now have Florence Jones grave photo. As you couldn't find it first time around I guess that you want to satisfy yourself so here is a photograph of it. I can see why you missed it.

JonesF1.jpg.jpg.5b5ab1c65b29cd4fe0135eac18fb69a7.jpg

Thanks for that Jim. I probably walked right past it but I can see now why I might not have paid much attention to it.

Hi Jim

Photo as requested from LE TOUQUET-PARIS PLAGE COMMUNAL CEMETERY. I have included an general image of the plot to show how the stones are set out. Eugine's grave is on the left.

1541000852_DevinE2.jpg.5e01f1e7108c9db8d27c114cf83f0aa7.jpg

1924414504_DevinELayout.jpg.46b699f740fe7c12b8c083482ec825b5.jpg

On 27/05/2021 at 04:00, temptage said:

John, if you get to Le Touquet-Paris-Plage Communal Cemetery would you be able to take a hi-res headstone photo for me please. I do already have a photo of the headstone but it was taken 10 years ago and is of low quality. Details are

I. B. 18 - John William Pindar - Lincolnshire Regiment

If for any reason you are unable to get a photo, not to worry

Hi Photo as requested

942754211_PindarJ.jpg.4c35775f4d79b2594beb7483781c653f.jpg

About time for an update.

As my listing of "wants" is several pages back it is time to renew here. With Covid restrictions lifting perhaps people will be out and about with a camera. I have been keeping the list up to date during these times.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CHESHIRE, Chester

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DORSETSHIRE, Holt

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Newport, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Lydney,

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane), Ulster (Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Goudhurst, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Anfield, Bolton, Healey, Manchester, Ormskirk, Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon, Monmouth

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge, Jesmond

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Foxearth, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

WARWICKSHIRE, Coventry

YORKSHIRE, Bridlington, Colton, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Malton, Redcar, Sheffield, Staithes

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes, Ghent
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (Brigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arcachon, Arles, Arras, Bergerac, Béziers, Chaumont, Châlons-en-Champagne, Cherbourg-Octeville (Manche), Choloy-Ménillot, Compiègne, Cosnes-et-Romain, Courgent (Yveslines), Dennevy (Saône-et-Loire), Dompierre (Oise), Dugny-sur-Meuse, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Épinay-sur-Orge (Isle de France), Fère-Champenoise, Garennes-sur-Eure, Gironde, Gorges (Loire-Atlantique), Gravelines, Gray (Haute-Saône), (Hemévez (Normandy),Ivry-sur-Seine, Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris), Jarville, La Fare-les-Oliviers  (Bouches-du-Rhône department), La Ferrière (Côtes-d'Armor), Lamalou, L'Isle-en-Rigault (Meuse), Melun, Menton, Meximieux, Montendre (Charente-Maritime), Mouleydier (Dordogne), Mouzens (Dordogne), Nancy, Nogent-sur-Marne (Isle de France), Nomaine (Nord), Noyen-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe), Paris (Montparnasse), Pierrefonds (Oise), Pompertuzat (Haute-Garonne), Pys, Quemperven (Britanny), Quiberon (Britanny), Recloses (Seine-et-Marne), Réméréville (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Rocabey (Ille-et-Vilaine), Saint Amand les Aux, Saint-Germer-de-Fly (Oise), Saint-Jean-le-Priche (Saône-et-Loire), Saint-Just-en- Chaussée (Oise), Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse, Saint-Servan-sur-Mer, Sallanches, Santenay (Loir-et-Cher), Sennecé.lès-Mâcon (Saône-et-Loire), Septeuil (Yvelines), Solosmes, Steenwerck, Strasbourg, Sus (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Susmiou (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Thonon-les-Baines, Toulouse (Haute Garonne), Vendôme (Loire-et-Cher)
GREECE, Salonika

GUAM
INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Bitola, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
ROMANIA, Jassy

SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TURKEY, Izmir

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro), Minnesota (Mankato), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months -

On :- CAMBRIDGESHIRE (Cottenham 8/20), CHESHIRE (Chester 5/20), Glamorganshire (Newport 3/21), KENT (Goudhurst 12/20), LANARKSHIRE, Glasgow (Cambuslang) 6/21, LANCASHIRE (Anfield 6/21), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 3/20), Monmouthshire (Monmouth 3/21), NORFOLK (Norwich 5/20), NORTHUMBERLAND (Jesmond 12/20), SUFFOLK (Foxearth 12/20), YORKSHIRE (Bridlington 3/21), BELGIUM (Ghent 11/20), MACEDONIA Bitola (3/21), CANADA Ontario (Teeswater 3/20, Toronto 9/20), FRANCE Arcachon 1/21, Arles (2/21), Bergerac (2/21), Béziers (2/21), Châlons-en-Champagne (2/21), Cherbourg-Octeville (Manche) 8/21, Choloy-Ménillot (2/21), Compiègne (2/21), Cosnes-et-Romain (8/21), Courgent (Yveslines) 5/21, Dennevy (Saône-et-Loire) 5/21, Dompierre (Oise, 4/21), Dugny-sur-Meuse (2/21), Épinay-sur-Orge (2/21), Fère-Champenoise (2/21), Garennes-sur-Eure (8/21), Gorges (Loire-Atlantique) (8/21), Gravelines (2/21), Gray (Haute-Saône) 4/21, Ivry-sur-Seine (2/21), Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris 2/21), Jarville (1/21), La Fare-les-Oliviers (8/21), La Ferrière (Côtes-d'Armor) 4/21, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage (2/21), L'Isle-en-Rigault (Meuse) (8/21), Melun (2/21), Meximieux 2/21, Montendre (Charente-Maritime) 5/21, Mouzens (Dordogne) 3/21, Nancy 1/21, Nogent-sur-Marne 2/21, Nomaine (Nord) 3/21, Noyen-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe) 5/21, Paris (Montparnasse) 6/21, Pierrefonds (Oise 2/21), Pompertuzat (Haute-Garonne) 4/21, Quemperven (Britanny) 8/21, Quiberon (Britanny) 8/21, Recloses (Seine-et-Marne) 6/21, Réméréville (Meurthe-et-Moselle) 8/21, Rocabey (Ille-et-Vilaine) 5/21, Saint-Germer-de-Fly church (Oise) 4/21, Saint-Jean-le-Priche (4/21), Saint-Just-en- Chaussée (Oise) 8/21, Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse (2/21), Saint-Servan-sur-Mer (3/21), Santenay (Loir-et-Cher) 4/21, Sennecé.lès-Mâcon (4/21), Septeuil (Yvelines) 5/21, Solosmes (2/21), Steenwerck 1/21, Strasbourg (2/21), Suchez 1/21), Thonon-les-Baines 1/21, Toulouse (Haute Garonne) 4/21, Vendôme (Loire-et-Cher) 8/21, GREECE Salonika 4/21, ROMANIA Jassy 5/21, TURKEY, Izmir (3/21), U.S.A. Florida (Palatka 8/20), Georgia (Atlants 3/20), Illinois (Chicago 6/20, Norway 4/20), Iowa (West Liberty 8/20), Minnesota (Mankato, 7/20), Maryland (Baltimore 3/20), Massachusetts (Arlington 7/20, Malden 8/20), Michigan (Detroit 5/20), Montana (Butte 3/20), New Hampshire (Concord 3/20), New Jersey (Totowa 7/20),New York (Schenectady 3/20), Ohio (Chardon 8/20, Cleveland 7/20), Pennsylvania  Williamsport 5/20), Wisconsin (Stevens Point 8/20)

Off :- CORNWALL (Isles of Scilly 9/20), CUMBRIA (Winster 8/20), DERBYSHIRE (Marston on Dove 6/20, Taxal 6/20), DORSET (Langton Long 9/20), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Berkeley 5/21, Cheltenham, 12/20, Charlton Kings 5/21, Coleford 7/20, Leckhampton 12/20, Oakridge Lynch (5/21), LANARKSHIRE, Glasgow (Cambuslang) 8/21, LANCASHIRE (Blackburn 9/20, Chadderton 3/20, Ford 8/20, Kirkdale 8/20, Rainhill 8/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 6/20), PERTHSHIRE (Dunblane 6/20), STAFFORDSHIRE (Brindley Ford 6/20, Eccleshall 5/20, Newchapel 6/20), SURREY (Witley 6/20), YORKSHIRE (Halifax 3/20), FRANCE (Le Havre 6/20, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage 6/21), Souchez 1/21, Sus (Pyrenees-Atlantiques) 7/21, Susmiou (Pyrenees-Atlantiques) 7/21, Troyes 7/21), U.S.A. Minnesota (Maplewood).

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim

I can do Courgent and Septeuil, which are around half-an-hour away from chez moi. PM me the details or post here.

Cheers Martin B

On 02/06/2021 at 13:06, Frajohn said:

Hi Photo as requested

Thankyou so much. Ten times....no....hundred times better than the photo I previously had of it

On 03/06/2021 at 10:15, Martin Bennitt said:

Hi Jim

I can do Courgent and Septeuil, which are around half-an-hour away from chez moi. PM me the details or post here.

Cheers Martin B

Marguerite Henriette Augusta FLAMENG, nurse, died 21st January 1919.  Her name is on the Courgent War Memorial and also on a memorial plaque is Saint Nicholas church, Septeuil. She is also buried in the family plot, with her father, Septeuil communal cemetery.

Okay Jim 

I plan to do a walk in that area on Sunday so will go looking.

Cheers Martin B

Jim, is this any use to you? From Anfield Cemetery:

P1066989.JPG.9a8e23a024c683f829da4774ce114dfe.JPG

I know you'll already have Wylie, but Davies and Oates might be of interest?

As you surmise, Wylie I am aware of and Oates is WW2 so outside of my remit. But Dr. Mary Birrell Davies is of interest. I was not aware of her other than she might be the Mary Davies who I have as being a member of the Anglo-French Red Cross (stet)  and is commemorated on the Roll of Honour in the King's Cross Welsh Chapel, King's Cross, London.  The Welsh Chapel suggests that mine was Welsh as could yours, of course. Yours is obviously buried in Anfield Cemetery so a photograph of her grave headstone may be helpful so I have added the requirement to my list. Thank you for making me aware of her existance.

Jim

did you have any luck with Ada Parry

CHARLTON KINGS    -    Ada Betty PARRY, VAD, died 30th June 1917 is buried in grave 72, plot IV, Charlton Kings cemetery. did they find the grave in the register?

any news from Lydney?

On 08/06/2021 at 02:10, chaz said:

Jim

did you have any luck with Ada Parry

CHARLTON KINGS    -    Ada Betty PARRY, VAD, died 30th June 1917 is buried in grave 72, plot IV, Charlton Kings cemetery. did they find the grave in the register?

any news from Lydney?

The verger has given me a reply.

Hello Jim
I have located Ada Betty Parry she is buried in a Tomb with Charles Pawle, and Adelaide Bradley as you can see from the photo of the entry in the register
the other photo taken of the register shows where plot 72 is in section 4. the third photo shows the part of the tomb with Ada's details on it.
I hope this helps.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==

Unfortunately there was no third attachment sent with the email.  So definitely a grave marker with her name on it. If in the area I should be grateful if you could do another search armed with this new information. The verger got it wrong with Pawle - it is Dowle. Still working on Lydney.

631646945_DSCF23801.JPG.9596a6d71e70cba5d603919c2d8ffc24.JPG

1912519254_DSCF23821.JPG.9a5ad4e9ed511e8be78aeba9b0dc3cd1.JPG

3 hours ago, chaz said:

jim,

are you aware of the  Red Cross web site for VAD members?

https://vad.redcross.org.uk/Card?fname=mary&sname=whittington&id=225540&first=true&last=true

just wondering if this gives any further clues,  I wonder if Mary is buried in the area

This is one of my "go to" sites. It is terribly incomplete but is better than nothing. The burial register shows that she lived at Lydney and was buried on the 31st October 1916 in Lydney with Aylburton cemetery, Gloucestershire the service being led by a baptist minister. The grave is unmarked. So we know roughly where she is buried.

On 07/06/2021 at 21:26, Jim Strawbridge said:

But Dr. Mary Birrell Davies is of interest. I was not aware of her other than she might be the Mary Davies who I have as being a member of the Anglo-French Red Cross (stet)  and is commemorated on the Roll of Honour in the King's Cross Welsh Chapel, King's Cross, London.  The Welsh Chapel suggests that mine was Welsh as could yours, of course. Yours is obviously buried in Anfield Cemetery so a photograph of her grave headstone may be helpful so I have added the requirement to my list. Thank you for making me aware of her existance.

The inscription on the headstone reads: In loving memory of / our father and mother. / Joseph DAVIES, died Jan. the 14th 1900. / Margaret DAVIES, died Jan. the 16th 1900. // Mary Birrell DAVIES, / Physician & Surgeon, / died December 30th 1916.

P1067355.jpg.4a586a47c29d0ac30828b4fe9de5e42a.jpg

P1067358.jpg.877224820c2b9f231a39f0ce9725bee2.jpg