Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

9 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you, bostonwayne. She had at least three children so there are probably direct descendants.

Well her son and husband is buried in the same plot as her

106432667_137416012017.jpg

14 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Well her son and husband is buried in the same plot as her

106432667_137416012017.jpg

The CWGC may remove the sons headstone and replace with a new one with both names on it.

50 minutes ago, temptage said:

The CWGC may remove the sons headstone and replace with a new one with both names on it.

I would have thought unlikely. They do not remove private grave markers as they do not own them. More likely that they will add a CWGC headstone at the foot of the grave and leave the other in place. We shall see.

I have seen these photos on Facebook for Doris Jane Proctor. She has a headstone on a memorial plaque and a stained glass window. I'm just checking you have them all 

FB_IMG_1635102025585.jpg

FB_IMG_1635102012623.jpg

FB_IMG_1635102002461.jpg

Thank you, bostonwayne. I had them but whilst checking to see where the brass plaque was situated found the Craven's Part in the War website that had another memorial that I did not have (Settle War Memorial).

ProcterDJSettleWarMemoffWeb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This came up on Facebook in relation to another grave I was enquiring about, I don't know if it's of any importance...

Nurse Louisa Hodgson, died 12 May 1921 age 23, at Queen's Park Hospital, Blackburn. Buried at Blackburn Cemetery.

254021824_10159402888347310_4047617221063685563_n.jpg.65b653a264eedba7a0c60e28308471a1.jpg

18 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

That's probably the case. There's a Louisa Mary Hodgson listed on the Red Cross website, but that may just be a coincidence.

https://vad.redcross.org.uk/en/Card?fname=louisa&sname=hodgson&id=107278&first=true&last=true

Not that one. She died 1st November 1933 at home - the same address as on her BRCS card. As an aside, it was an interesting job that her husband had - code expert. I wonder if he worked for MI5.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1904/images/31874_222761-00269?usePUB=true&_phsrc=kQJ8843&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=264965

Died on this day 1918. Annie Alexander VAD. Currently not commemorated by the CWGC however I understand she is being researched by a in from the cold volunteer so fingers crossed. RIP

20211111_073004.jpg

If it's needed, Susan Jane Peake at St. Pancras Cemetery (screen wall addenda)...

P1101807_GWF.jpg.9669a89aadcdc4ceeba3342bf73b41ff.jpg

P1101813_GWF.jpg.b4cc400c579fb3b6d3a616cfede1c686.jpg

11 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I've just heard some bad news. Apparently Brompton cemetery are going to reuse graves. I know you need Brompton so who do you need there as I am going to Fulham on Saturday so will have a look for you. 

https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/brompton-cemetery/burial-facilities

If you could make it that would be great. Just the one.

May FAIRS, air raid victim. Died 26th May 1915, aged 35. She is buried in Brompton cemetery, plot AJ/233/107.9

Spent 2 hours looking today couldn't find her. I've emailed the cemetery office and phoned them several times this week with no joy. There are 3 separate plots labelled AJ so not even sure which one it is. The plots don't seem to have any natural order either. I found a plot AJ 237 then moved a few rows over plot AJ 230. Went back a row and it was AJ 143. I will keep trying the friends to see if they have a plot map. We will be in London again 

1 minute ago, bostonwayne said:

Spent 2 hours looking today couldn't find her. I've emailed the cemetery office and phoned them several times this week with no joy. There are 3 separate plots labelled AJ so not even sure which one it is. The plots don't seem to have any natural order either. I found a plot AJ 237 then moved a few rows over plot AJ 230. Went back a row and it was AJ 143. I will keep trying the friends to see if they have a plot map. We will be in London again 

Much appreciated. I hope that the football goes better than the search !!

I know it's not needed, but I was in Kirkburton again so I got some photos of the Sarah Earnshaw grave:

20211120_115835.jpg.48596ae6e76ac31facb2dac9f76b1935.jpg

20211120_115935.jpg.7d3602e54fd091205e3635ce2e5e7500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2019 at 11:51, Jim Strawbridge said:

Hello Nigel,

Whilst I have no specific requirement that is only because I do not know where they are buried. If you fancy some sleuthing and can find burial records the following Voluntary Aid Detachment members died on Jersey during the war-time period.

Emily AMY

Amy FROST

Emma GODFRAY

Gertrude Augusta HENRY

Lilian Mary JENKINSON

Annie Lamber M. LE CORNU

Louisa Maingay ROBIN

Eva Christine SECKHAM

Grace Alice WHEELER

Jim,

Are you still looking for these?  I have found VAD record cards for most of them which give me hints for where to find graves. Pleased to help if still needed.

Nigel

7 minutes ago, Nutting said:

Jim,

Are you still looking for these?  I have found VAD record cards for most of them which give me hints for where to find graves. Pleased to help if still needed.

Nigel

Help still required. To backtrack for others looking at this string it was back in July 2019 where I mentioned some Jersey casualties where I did not know where they were buried.

Whilst I have no specific requirement that is only because I do not know where they are buried. If you fancy some sleuthing and can find burial records the following Voluntary Aid Detachment members died on Jersey during the war-time period.

Emily AMY

Amy FROST

Emma GODFRAY

Gertrude Augusta HENRY

Lilian Mary JENKINSON

Annie Lamber M. LE CORNU

Louisa Maingay ROBIN

Eva Christine SECKHAM

Grace Alice WHEELER

Good luck, Nigel.

On 29/11/2021 at 13:10, Jim Strawbridge said:

Help still required. To backtrack for others looking at this string it was back in July 2019 where I mentioned some Jersey casualties where I did not know where they were buried.

Good luck, Nigel.

Jim,

All the VAD record cards for these women have ‘RECEIVED MAR 1919’ stamped on them (bar the last one, where date of death was explicitly stated as 1921). In every case, bar the last, the date of termination of service is prior to March 1919, and there is no mention of date of death.  Do we know that they died on/around the date of termination of service? Could they have simply ceased their VAD service for whatever reason and lived another 40 years?!

Nigel.

4 hours ago, Nutting said:

Jim,

All the VAD record cards for these women have ‘RECEIVED MAR 1919’ stamped on them (bar the last one, where date of death was explicitly stated as 1921). In every case, bar the last, the date of termination of service is prior to March 1919, and there is no mention of date of death.  Do we know that they died on/around the date of termination of service? Could they have simply ceased their VAD service for whatever reason and lived another 40 years?!

Nigel.

Emily AMY        -      St Saviour churchyard, plot 2.30.01 (poor image on Find A Grave)

Amy FROST        -        1911 address, 2 Windsor Crescent, St. Helier

Emma GODFRAY        -        died 7th April 1915, buried plot 1723, Almorah cemetery, St. Helier, aged 32

Gertrude Augusta HENRY        -        1891 address, Victoria Road, St. Brelade, BRCS has her in Roseville Street, St. Helier

Lilian Mary JENKINSON        -        buried St. Brelade 27th May 1919, aged 67

Annie Lambert M. LE CORNU        -        buried St. Peter 28th July 1919

Louisa Maingay ROBIN        -        1911 address Grande-Vingtains, St. Clement

Eva Christine SECKHAM        -        ignore, buried in Longdon, Staffordshire

Grace Alice WHEELER        -        in 1918 was living in St. Helier

Edited by Jim Strawbridge