Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Agnes Rose Sweeney was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Service (2a) 3-5-15 - ?-4-16 / (1a)14-4-17 - 1-6-17

There is also a 'card' amongst the Pension Index Cards for her.

SWEENEY 1.jpg

Sweeney 2..jpg

Edited by BarbaraG

On 09/11/2020 at 16:39, BarbaraG said:

There is also a 'card' amongst the Pension Index Cards for her.

I'm afraid it doesn't say much - just "Deceased"

:-) M

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Jim, who do you have in Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire?.   Pete.

Yes, still outstanding. The grave of Lilian Gertrude HARRIS, a munition worker who died 5th March 1918 is buried in the Baptist chapelyard, there. I need a photograve of her grave marker, if there is one.

6 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Yes, still outstanding. The grave of Lilian Gertrude HARRIS, a munition worker who died 5th March 1918 is buried in the Baptist chapelyard, there. I need a photograve of her grave marker, if there is one.

I'll have a look around the old Baptist cemetery tomorrow. The site was completely abandoned and overgrown up until the 1980s. They then cleared away all the overgrown bushes and junk and built a new wall around it. The headstones were then removed from the graves and placed around the wall and the site was then grassed over. Only the two war grave headstones were left in place.   Pete.

Jim, I visited the old Baptist cemetery in Houghton Regis today and, unfortunately, there is no sign of a gravestone for Lilian Gertrude Harris at all. Having been born and raised in Houghton Regis myself I did some searching of local history and found out that Lilian died on the 5th of March 1918 from injuries sustained in an explosion on the 1st of March 1918. Three others also died as a result of the explosion at the George Kent Ltd. fuse filling factory at Chaul End, Luton. It's a great shame her grave is now lost. Sorry I couldn't help.  Pete.

22 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Jim, I visited the old Baptist cemetery in Houghton Regis today and, unfortunately, there is no sign of a gravestone for Lilian Gertrude Harris at all. Having been born and raised in Houghton Regis myself I did some searching of local history and found out that Lilian died on the 5th of March 1918 from injuries sustained in an explosion on the 1st of March 1918. Three others also died as a result of the explosion at the George Kent Ltd. fuse filling factory at Chaul End, Luton. It's a great shame her grave is now lost. Sorry I couldn't help.  Pete.

Pete, Thank you for looking. I might have to see if the burial register still exists as that may give a plot number.

Jim, I phoned the Baptist Minister yesterday and explained the situation regarding Lilian to him and he said he would look into it. He said he would e-mail me if a burial record exists. The address is Houghton Regis Baptist Church, Hammersmith Gardens, Parkside, Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire. LU5 5RG. Telephone number 01582 529788.   Pete.

11 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Jim, I phoned the Baptist Minister yesterday and explained the situation regarding Lilian to him and he said he would look into it. He said he would e-mail me if a burial record exists. The address is Houghton Regis Baptist Church, Hammersmith Gardens, Parkside, Houghton Regis, Bedfordshire. LU5 5RG. Telephone number 01582 529788.   Pete.

I am most grateful. Thank you.

Did you see that nurse Lillian Ellen Chinn has been accepted for commemoration. Burried with her brother in Middlezoy holy Cross churchyard Somerset. Not my photo 

194271499_58e55f74-1fb8-437e-a91a-7a8f4e27e8f9.jpeg.jpg

I visited Middlezoy many years ago and took a photograph of Lilian Chinn's grave. She died in Devonport Military Hospital of meningitis. As an aside, if there are any railway buffs out there, I recall that a nearby headstone has a lovely period train sculpted into it. A Rocket style engine and square carriages which would have been "modern" at the time and runs above the main wording.

Yes, she's one of mine. She died of pneumonia in France. I am the current custodian of her British War Medal and Victory medal. Unfortunately, I missed adding her memorial plaque which sold down here in Devon in 2002. I already have a photograpoh of her headstone but thank you, anyway.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

15 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Hi Jim,

Who are you looking for in Dublin please? I will be up just after Christmas.

Margaret

I hope that you can help me with one or more of these.

Nora Norris CROFTON, staff nurse, died 30th October 1918 in Horton Kirby, Kent. Nora's father is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin and Nora is mentioned on the grave marker as follows "In Ever Loving Memory of William Jones Crofton, M.B., T.C.D., late Captain, Army Medical Staff, died December 3rd 1905, aged 43. "Until the day break and the shadows flee away". Also to the two elder daughters of the above Kathleen & Nora Crofton who died on War Duty1918, 1919. Lovely & pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided. Also In Loving Memory of Kate Dunbar Crofton, wife of the above, died 20th Dec. 1935 (Interred at Wimbledon). God is Love". The grave marker implies that Kathleen Crofton also died serving her country. She is unrecorded anywhere else. We have found Kathleen T. Crofton (aged 30) died in the fourth quarter 1919 in the Kingston registration district. A photograph of father's headstone required.

Eleanor Frances HILL is a VAD member who died February 1919. She is buried in St. Georges Burial Ground, Whitworth Road, Drumcondra (a suburb of Dublin).

Elizabeth Mary MAHONY, V.A.D. died 15th April 1919 and buried in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin. There is a photograph of the grave on Find-A-Grave but I do need a non-copyright one.

Sheila Isabel Mary PLUNKETT, died at sea on the 10th October 1918. Her name is on the Glasnevin War Memorial and is also mentioned on a memorial in the family plot in Glasnevin Cemetery. Glasnevin is a suburb of Dublin.

Eileen Adelaide WILKINSON, St. John Ambulance, died 1918 and is buried in St. Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.

Louisa WOODCOCK, physician, Endell Street Military Hospital, died 17th February 1817. Her name is on the Trinity College War Memorial

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Memorials-Detail?memoId=458

1 hour ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I hope that you can help me with one or more of these.

Nora Norris CROFTON, staff nurse, died 30th October 1918 in Horton Kirby, Kent. Nora's father is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery, Dublin and Nora is mentioned on the grave marker as follows "In Ever Loving Memory of William Jones Crofton, M.B., T.C.D., late Captain, Army Medical Staff, died December 3rd 1905, aged 43. "Until the day break and the shadows flee away". Also to the two elder daughters of the above Kathleen & Nora Crofton who died on War Duty1918, 1919. Lovely & pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided. Also In Loving Memory of Kate Dunbar Crofton, wife of the above, died 20th Dec. 1935 (Interred at Wimbledon). God is Love". The grave marker implies that Kathleen Crofton also died serving her country. She is unrecorded anywhere else. We have found Kathleen T. Crofton (aged 30) died in the fourth quarter 1919 in the Kingston registration district. A photograph of father's headstone required.

Eleanor Frances HILL is a VAD member who died February 1919. She is buried in St. Georges Burial Ground, Whitworth Road, Drumcondra (a suburb of Dublin).

Elizabeth Mary MAHONY, V.A.D. died 15th April 1919 and buried in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin. There is a photograph of the grave on Find-A-Grave but I do need a non-copyright one.

Sheila Isabel Mary PLUNKETT, died at sea on the 10th October 1918. Her name is on the Glasnevin War Memorial and is also mentioned on a memorial in the family plot in Glasnevin Cemetery. Glasnevin is a suburb of Dublin.

Eileen Adelaide WILKINSON, St. John Ambulance, died 1918 and is buried in St. Jerome Cemetery, Dublin.

Louisa WOODCOCK, physician, Endell Street Military Hospital, died 17th February 1817. Her name is on the Trinity College War Memorial

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Memorials-Detail?memoId=458

Jim, I have Louisa Woodcock from The Trinity College Memorial.

I will Email it to you. I’ll do my best to get the others.

Margaret

2 hours ago, Margaretnolan said:

Jim, I have Louisa Woodcock from The Trinity College Memorial.

I will Email it to you. I’ll do my best to get the others.

Margaret

Thank you.

On 21/09/2020 at 19:40, Jim Strawbridge said:

As my listing of "wants" is several pages back it is time to renew here.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CHESHIRE, Chester

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DORSETSHIRE, Holt

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Charlton Kings, Lydney, Oakridge Lynch

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane), Ulster (Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Goudhurst, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bolton, Healey, Manchester, Ormskirk, Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge, Jesmond

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Foxearth, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

WARWICKSHIRE, Coventry

YORKSHIRE, Colton, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Malton, Redcar, Sheffield, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes, Ghent
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arcachon, Arles, Arras, Bergerac, Béziers, Chaumont, Châlons-en-Champagne, Choloy-Ménillot, Compiègne, Dugny-sur-Meuse, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Épinay-sur-Orge (Isle de France), Fère-Champenoise, Gironde, Gravelines, Hemévez (Normandy),Ivry-sur-Seine, Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris), Jarville, Lamalou, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage, Melun, Mentone, Meximieux, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Nancy, Nogent-sur-Marne (Isle de France), Nomaine (Nord), Pierrefonds (Oise), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse, Sallanches, Solosmes, Steenwerck, Strasbourg, Thonon-les-Baines, Troyes
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro), Minnesota (Mankato, Maplewood), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months -

On :- CAMBRIDGESHIRE (Cottenham 8/20), CHESHIRE (Chester 5/20), KENT (Goudhurst 12/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 3/20), NORFOLK (Norwich 5/20), NORTHUMBERLAND (Jesmond 12/20), SUFFOLK (Foxearth 12/20), BELGIUM (Ghent 11/20), CANADA Ontario (Teeswater 3/20, Toronto 9/20), FRANCE Arcachon 1/21, Arles (2/21), Bergerac (2/21), Béziers (2/21), Châlons-en-Champagne (2/21), Choloy-Ménillot (2/21), Compiègne (2/21), Dugny-sur-Meuse (2/21), Épinay-sur-Orge (2/21), Fère-Champenoise (2/21), Gravelines (2/21), Ivry-sur-Seine (2/21), Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris 2/21), Jarville (1/21), Le Touquet-Paris-Plage (2/21), Melun (2/21), Meximieux 2/21, Nancy 1/21, Nogent-sur-Marne 2/21, Nomaine (Nord) 3/21, Pierrefonds (Oise 2/21), Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse (2/21), Solosmes (2/21), Steenwerck 1/21, Strasbourg (2/21), Suchez 1/21), Thonon-les-Baines 1/21, U.S.A. Florida (Palatka 8/20), Georgia (Atlants 3/20), Illinois (Chicago 6/20, Norway 4/20), Iowa (West Liberty 8/20), Minnesota (Mankato, 7/20), Maryland (Baltimore 3/20), Massachusetts (Arlington 7/20, Malden 8/20), Michigan (Detroit 5/20), Montana (Butte 3/20), New Hampshire (Concord 3/20), New Jersey (Totowa 7/20),New York (Schenectady 3/20), Ohio (Chardon 8/20, Cleveland 7/20), Pennsylvania  Williamsport 5/20), Wisconsin (Stevens Point 8/20)

Off :- CORNWALL (Isles of Scilly 9/20), CUMBRIA (Winster 8/20), DERBYSHIRE (Marston on Dove 6/20, Taxal 6/20), DORSET (Langton Long 9/20), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Cheltenham, 12/20, Coleford 7/20, Leckhampton 12/20), LANCASHIRE (Blackburn 9/20, Chadderton 3/20, Ford 8/20, Kirkdale 8/20, Rainhill 8/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 6/20), PERTHSHIRE (Dunblane 6/20), STAFFORDSHIRE (Brindley Ford 6/20, Eccleshall 5/20, Newchapel 6/20), SURREY (Witley 6/20), YORKSHIRE (Halifax 3/20), FRANCE (Le Havre 6/20, Souchez 1/21)

Who do you need in Cheltenham, Leckhampton and Coventry.  Cannot promise but if we get chance to visit Granddaughter can hopefully do Cheltenham and Leccie. Coventry can do although if in London Road cemetery, it might take a while as the place is massive. (Coventry is West Midlands and not Warwickshire, despite being surrounded by Warwickshire. :) 

Edited by stevem49
extra info

22 hours ago, stevem49 said:

Who do you need in Cheltenham, Leckhampton and Coventry.  Cannot promise but if we get chance to visit Granddaughter can hopefully do Cheltenham and Leccie. Coventry can do although if in London Road cemetery, it might take a while as the place is massive. (Coventry is West Midlands and not Warwickshire, despite being surrounded by Warwickshire. :) 

CHELTENHAM   I am going to take Cheltenham off my list. I have an outstanding grave requirement but two kind souls on here have tried to find her without success. There is not much point in sending a third person on what would probably be a wild goose chase.

LECKHAMPTON   I am taking this one off, too. Some guesswork on my part. A lady died in London and she was from Leckhampton. Guesswork that she was buried in a home churchyard but no firm evidence of it and it could be hopeless to search for her on such a whim.

COVENTRY  

Coventry Cemetery. The obituary states Coventry Cemetery and this seems to be an old/alternative name for London Road. Gertrude HAINES, VAD nurse died May 1918, aged 33. 

ps.  I am using old terms for counties to save confusion. Therefore Coventry still Warwickshire.

On 14/12/2020 at 15:34, stevem49 said:

Will see what I can do re Coventry. 

Might be worth checking on here for Leccie.   http://leckhamptonlhs.weebly.com/tombstone-inscriptions-at-st-peters-church.html

Steve

Thank you, Steve. The name is Amy Georgina Despard. She was knocked off a bicycle in Pall Mall, London and killed. Her father was the vicar at Leckhampton. The website that you have given me shows her parents buried there in 1903 and 1914 respectively but not their daughter. She was one of six children and it would have been nice if one of them had brought her home. Or maybe they did and the grave is unmarked.

Jim

I have been in contact with Coventry Bereavement services. They gave me all the information. There is no record of a headstone or other marker listed for the family. 

London Road Cemetery – Square Section 101 Grave Number 63 – In the grave are the following:

Gertrude Haines – aged 33 years – date of burial 28/05/1918

Mary Ann Haines – aged 74 years – date of burial 17/05/1938

Herbert Haines – aged 39 years – date of burial 16/01/1940

William Thomas Haines – aged 76 years – date of burial 17/02/1940

London Road[13268].pdf

20201216140617960[13269].pdf

The 1911 census shows - Father William T 48 years born Cheltenham; mother - Mary Ann 48 born Cheltenham. Gertrude, 26 (eldest child) born Birmingham; Herbert, 10, born Birmingham. (also other children)

Living at 36 Godiva Street, Coventry.

If you still want a photo of the grassed area, I can get it. Not sure whether that is useful or not to you.  Hopefully the information above will help.

Steve