Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Who is the one in Grimsby?

Should Le Havre still be on your list or is there another one somewhere?

Is Pys in France the one on the Somme?

Edited by temptage

On 20/06/2020 at 12:32, temptage said:

Who is the one in Grimsby?

Should Le Havre still be on your list or is there another one somewhere?

Is Pys in France the one on the Somme?

1) Abigail Emerson, a civilian, died 9th September 1916 following a zepplin raid and is buried in plot 2/L/24, Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby. A photograph of her grave required.

2) Mrs C. Hillary is buried in plot VII, C.2., division 64, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre. She died 28th October 1919. I don't think that she was serving. More likely she was visiting her husband and died or was the wife of a CWGC gardener. Either way I should like a photograph of her grave marker. I also have Agnes Greig Mann, QAIMNS, died at sea, with a reference of Div. 62.1 which could be her grave or the location of the Salta Memorial (her name is on it). Certainty required if her grave.

3) Madame Levetez is a French civilian buried in Pys Communal Cemetery, France. A previous search found that there were around 60 grave in the cemetery of which about a quarter were unmarked. So without access to a burial record this one may be lost. She had previously been interred in Rocquigny-Equancourt British Cemetery. Her remains were removed to Pys (presumably by her family).

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

1) Abigail Emerson, a civilian, died 9th September 1916 following a zepplin raid and is buried in plot 2/L/24, Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby. A photograph of her grave required.

2) Mrs C. Hillary is buried in plot VII, C.2., division 64, Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre. She died 28th October 1919. I don't think that she was serving. More likely she was visiting her husband and died or was the wife of a CWGC gardener. Either way I should like a photograph of her grave marker. I also have Agnes Greig Mann, QAIMNS, died at sea, with a reference of Div. 62.1 which could be her grave or the location of the Salta Memorial (her name is on it). Certainty required if her grave.

3) Madame Levetez is a French civilian buried in Pys Communal Cemetery, France. A previous search found that there were around 60 grave in the cemetery of which about a quarter were unmarked. So without access to a burial record this one may be lost. She had previously been interred in Rocquigny-Equancourt British Cemetery. Her remains were removed to Pys (presumably by her family).

New photo of Abigail Emerson's grave on post #2512

New photo of panel with A G Mann on on post #2520. Div 62.1 is the plot for the Salta Memorial, but burials from the Salta were placed there before the Memorial was erected. There are no marked graves on that plot. They are all named on the Memorial. I will send my man on a hunt for her grave.

I will ask a couple of people if they can take a visit up to Pys Communal Cemetery to have a look round. I will report back when and if I hear something.

Edited by temptage

17 hours ago, temptage said:

New photo of Abigail Emerson's grave on post #2512

Whoops. Sorry. Poor administration on my part.

Hi Jim

Just seen your updated list.

For Yorkshire, I sent some photos of the grave of Martha Briggs, St Mark's Churchyard, Low Moor, Bradford on 6th February 2020 (see post 2459).

Also sent some for Margaret Barker, Ingleton Cemetery, but these were only general photographs of the cemetery as I could not find the grave.

Please leave Ingleton on the list as possible options to locate it.

Chris     

Chris, my apologies. Yes, I had received the photographs and duly made a note that I had received them and from whom. I just omitted to amend two master lists that I am running (one is the list above). 

I think that Rosina Gannaway in Witley Surrey is unmarked - I have sent you pictures of the likely area, after much help from the church.

Jim

Spent a lovely sunny afternoon at Taxal here is a picture of St James Church:

1063384533_IMG_1869LR.jpg.113e0dc3238d910a2f9843ddcde8b479.jpg

And Annie Mycock's grave is the middle of these 3:

130263706_IMG_1874LR.jpg.0703d62eaaf34f51663da71fb8a05825.jpg

High resolution pictures will be with you shortly via email.

Sadly the Mycock's also lost a son Sam killed in action 21st March 1918 aged 24, he is commemorated on the family grave stone. 

Hi not great news about the grave of Jane Thies.  She was a very old VAD!  The warden said they only have records of graveyard plans from 1947 on and hazarded a guess where she may be buried.  It was the same area I mentioned to you on pm yesterday.  However, if they ever uncover the many graves which are sadly overgrown perhaps it might be found.  I have attached the only detail they had and a photo of the likely burial area.  The warden did say perhaps there was never a gravestone.  

9A4DC2CC-CF39-4A37-9BC3-7D96C2EF6F18.jpeg

A91C81C8-4D9A-472A-B1D6-5BA5E82D8E39.jpeg

D771D68A-CB11-4625-81BE-7D3A598BDC3F.png

Thank you, Alison. I think that we have gone as far as we can with this one. I shall use your photograph and accept that the grave is unmarked.

Hi Jim,

I'd forgotten all about this, but then you came to the top of the page again and it jogged my memory!

On 23rd November 2019 I was lucky enough to attend the dedication of a new CWGC headstone at Dunblane Cathedral, which was in Perthshire until the 1990s but is now in the Stirling council area.

The headstone is for Grace Sharp and the lady with the walking stick is her great-niece Estelle Mitchell, who got in touch with the CWGC researchers shortly before the ceremony. Grace's grave had been unmarked and if you Google her name, died WW1 and Dunblane there are links to various posts on Facebook etc.

Not sure of this is the person you are looking for at Dunblane? I live a lot more than 5 miles from Dunblane, but we will be able to travel a bit further in a week or two and if there is another name I could go back then.

Sorry about the delay, but better late than never I suppose. 

All the best,

Dave

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/06/2020 at 11:14, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you, Alison. I think that we have gone as far as we can with this one. I shall use your photograph and accept that the grave is unmarked.

Seems a shame that Jane maybe in an unmarked grave but it seems the marriage lasted 53 years, no children and whilst Jane left £500+ to a builder and another local tradesman her husband who died several months before her left his money to a widow. Perhaps no one felt a stone was needed or maybe as there appeared to be no family no one would visit.  Shame really.  As you said cannot go any further. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jim

just re confirming, called in on. Pys again today, no mention on any of the graves of mme Levetez. There were a couple that were turned over dirt and 3 or 4 with unreadable inscriptions,. No family Levetez either.

i think the best chance would be to contact the Maire or a religious records place.

unless... There is another cemetery in Pys..

15 hours ago, chaz said:

Hi jim

just re confirming, called in on. Pys again today, no mention on any of the graves of mme Levetez. There were a couple that were turned over dirt and 3 or 4 with unreadable inscriptions,. No family Levetez either.

i think the best chance would be to contact the Maire or a religious records place.

unless... There is another cemetery in Pys..

I am most grateful to you for trying. As her body was removed from a CWGC cemetery I assume that the family were involved and having gone to that bother it would be surprising if her grave was then unmarked. But that said, we have all searched for graves that are elusive. 

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I am most grateful to you for trying. As her body was removed from a CWGC cemetery I assume that the family were involved and having gone to that bother it would be surprising if her grave was then unmarked. But that said, we have all searched for graves that are elusive. 

I dont know if this is any good. Plenty of contact details for the Mairie of Pys. Ive been informed that the email address either doesnt exist or they choose not to reply, but there is an address and phone number too.

108016844_284615825941860_5980204234140144778_n.jpg.c9d9cfc2b1b34a7d33069f7adf2634f8.jpg

I have just heard from one of the locals who has told me why "Mdme Levetez" might not be named on any grave in the Cemetery.

The reason...........

French women were/are buried under their maiden name!

She is not named on the Pys War Memorial either. It has names of both military and civilians on it, but only men.

Edited by temptage

Tony, that duh moment....

Jim this is right, if she was married it's a possibility, on our house purchase documents the wife is listed as he maiden name and the sellers details were also his name and her maiden name. Looking around many headstones there are different names on the same family headstone. Won't get back to Pys again this trip but it may help what was her Christian name?.

Jim,

I noticed in your list of wants of 20 June that you have Coleford and Lydney, Gloucestershire. Who are you looking for at these two locations?

23 hours ago, HarryBrook said:

Jim,

I noticed in your list of wants of 20 June that you have Coleford and Lydney, Gloucestershire. Who are you looking for at these two locations?

COLEFORD  Frances Mary Tooby, QMAAC, died 14th November 1918 aged 24. There is a memorial in St. Johns Church, Coleford with her name on it.

LYDNEY  Mary A. Whittington, VAD, died October 1916, aged 48 and is buried in Lydney with Aylburton cemetery.

On 16/07/2020 at 02:01, Jim Strawbridge said:

What I have put up is all that I have so no first name or maiden name.

I dont know what info you have for "Mdme Levetez" but her married surname is actually LeTeVez, She was killed on 20th October 1918 in a village called Bertry, just south of Caudry (it says Berty on the burial record). If she lived there, she may be named on the village Memorial there. There is a photo of the Memorial online but not close enough to read any names.

While typing this I have found photos of the names on the Bertry 'Monuments aux Morts'. Letevez is not on there, but there are 5 4 other females named on it who could well be her, named under her birth name.

Marie BOUGAUD, Éléonore BRACQ, Thérèse HORNEZ, Marie LENGLET and Aimé MAIRESSE (informed Aime is a male name)

There are no dates on the Memorial for civilian deaths.

Edited by temptage