Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 31/05/2021 at 13:21, Jim Strawbridge said:

It just shows how helpful to me these photographs are. The grave marker acts as a memorial to her brother who was killed in France in 1916. A CWGC search has provided his parent's names and address. The lad was only aged 19 and Phyllis was aged 20 so enough grief for one family due to the war. Next task is to try the census once again now that I have an address and parent's names. Paul, I mentioned that I now have Florence Jones grave photo. As you couldn't find it first time around I guess that you want to satisfy yourself so here is a photograph of it. I can see why you missed it.

Hi Jim,

I managed to find the Florence Jones grave on a return visit to Crosby. Do you know her date of death?

More on Phyllis May, from the Crosby Herald 23/11/1918:

472421125_CrosbyHerald1918-11-23.jpg.95854d1ee11c6c7acdc8ffadf8865a6b.jpg

Hi Jim,

I managed to find the Florence Jones grave on a return visit to Crosby. Do you know her date of death?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Her headstone states that she died on the 14th November 1918.

9 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Her headstone states that she died on the 14th November 1918.

No, I mean for Florence Jones - that's the date for Phyllis May. There's no date on the Jones headstone.

38 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

No, I mean for Florence Jones - that's the date for Phyllis May. There's no date on the Jones headstone.

Ah, sorry. Florence Jones died 29th September 1918 according to the Liverpool Echo of the 1st October 1918.

Hi Jim,

Long time coming, but here is a picture for Anna Marie Dahlby of Union Cemetery Maplewood, Minnesota

20210710_140118.jpg.6a884fc349e6222adb9fb81b0f524f8d.jpg

Thank you Dominion. Much appreciated. I spent a bit of time trying to work out S.N.R.F. before I noticed the U. So I am guessing United States Nurse Reserve Force.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Jim,

I will be spending a week in Troyes at the beginning of August. Let me know your requirements there, please.

Cheers Martin B

21 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Jim,

I will be spending a week in Troyes at the beginning of August. Let me know your requirements there, please.

Cheers Martin B

Martin, an error on my part. I know of thirteen French female casualties buried in Troyes but not the name of a single cemetery. The only British one is Beatrice Stevens and I already have photographs of her grave. But thank you for the offer.

On 13/07/2021 at 09:19, Jim Strawbridge said:

Martin, an error on my part. I know of thirteen French female casualties buried in Troyes but not the name of a single cemetery. The only British one is Beatrice Stevens and I already have photographs of her grave. But thank you for the offer.

Well my wife will be relieved at any rate. The main cemetery in Troyes covers 11 hectares and has 15,000 graves.  Find a Grave claims to have covered 75% of them, so if any of your French ladies are there I could try for a matcher.....

There is another cemetery at Rosières, just outside Troyes.

Cheers Martin B

8 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Well my wife will be relieved at any rate. The main cemetery in Troyes covers 11 hectares and has 15,000 graves.  Find a Grave claims to have covered 75% of them, so if any of your French ladies are there I could try for a matcher.....

There is another cemetery at Rosières, just outside Troyes.

Cheers Martin B

Im guessing one of the women is called Beatrice Elizabeth Stevens? Someone already has requested a photo of her grave on Find-A-Grave.

"Find a Grave claims to have covered 75% of them".

No, FAG has photographs of 75% of the 12 Memorials that are listed for "Cimetière de Troyes"

16 hours ago, temptage said:

Im guessing one of the women is called Beatrice Elizabeth Stevens? Someone already has requested a photo of her grave on Find-A-Grave.

"Find a Grave claims to have covered 75% of them".

No, FAG has photographs of 75% of the 12 Memorials that are listed for "Cimetière de Troyes"

Your guess would be a little wrong. See three postings above. I have not considered her to be French for whilst she, being a member of the French Red Cross, is not one whose grave is cared for by the CWGC, her name is on the York Minster panels. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bostonwayne said:

I see the CWGC are producing a headstone for Minnie Dorothy Miller in Hastings cemetery

Thank you. I am aware and she's on my list.

21 hours ago, s.hibbitt said:

SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Eastbourne, Horsham

What are you looking for here please  ?

I think that you must have been looking at an earlier listing. My current listing is on page 109 and for Sussex has outstanding photograph requirements for Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham and Warnham.

ANGMERING  -  Janet Dixon Clare BALL, VAD, died December 1916. A local newspaper reported :- "There was a representative gathering at the funeral of Miss Clare-Ball, which took place at Angmering on Tuesday, January 2nd. If Angmering has more than one cemetery/churchyard I am sorry but I do not know which one she is in.

ARLINGTON  -  Marie Elizabeth SHOOSMITH, munition worker, died 17th January 1917, aged 31. A newspaper report states that she was laid to rest in Arlington, Sussex but no specific cemetery or churchyard was given.

HASTINGS  -  Minnie Dorothy MILLER, VAD, died 26th October 1918, aged 24. She is buried in plot 13, row R, section LC, Hastings cemetery, the Ridge, Hastings. A photograph of her grave marker required. She may have an original headstone although the CWGC had commissioned a headstone in July 2021 which may not yet be in situ.

HORSHAM  -  Etta Grace HARRIS, died in the Hartlepool bombardment of 16th December 1914. There was a marble memorial that was originally in Christ's Hospital School, Hertfordshire. It was removed in 1985, when the school was merged with the boy's school, based in Christ's Hospital Road, Horsham, West Sussex and is now on the wall of the chapel there. Her name is on it.

WARNHAM  -  Dorothy Lottie SALMON, VAD, died 1918, aged 20. She is buried in St. Margaret's churchyard, Warnham. A photograph of her grave marker required.

21 hours ago, s.hibbitt said:

I will see what I can di here.SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Eastbourne, Horsham

What are you looking for here please  ?

In my note above I listed my Sussex requirements. I no longer need anything from Bexhill-on-Sea or Eastbourne.

Mouzens (Dordogne), although the photo doesn't seem to have downloaded particularly well. 

Please say if it is not satisfactory, I took others which may be better.

You will know the lady in question is not buried at Mouzens?

STP81240.JPG

On 22/08/2021 at 14:21, michaelpi said:

Mouzens (Dordogne), although the photo doesn't seem to have downloaded particularly well. 

Please say if it is not satisfactory, I took others which may be better.

You will know the lady in question is not buried at Mouzens?

I have messaged direct hoping for an image with a close up of the names.

15 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Jim, who do you need in Sheffield?

Kingfield Synagogue/127 Psalter La, Sheffield S11 8UX - Emily HARTMAN, VAD, died 20th October 1918 aged 23. Her name was listed on the Wilson Road Synagogue Roll of Honour, Sheffield. This was closed in 2000 and the memorial was moved to Kingfield Synagogue. I have a photograph of her headstone.

Tinsley Park cemetery, plot K, grave 176C - Elsie May VAUGHAN, VAD, died February 1919, aged 22. Photograph of her grave required.

Sharrow Vale Road Weslyan Reform Church - P. BANKS, VAD is on their Roll of Honour.

Abbeydale Road, St. Peters - Elsie FLETCHER and Grace Jane WILLIAMS, VAD. Names are on the Roll of Honour.

Darnall Cemetery - Grace WILLIAMS, died 17th July 1917, aged 64. Buried in unconsecrated ground, section E, grave 487

2 hours ago, Interested said:

Hi Jim,

I'm not far from Sunninghill, what are you looking for?

Sunninghill, Bagshot Road, Comrades Club - The name of Helen Maud PEEL, VAD, died 13th December 1917, aged 22, is on a memorial in the club.

On 25/08/2021 at 11:37, Jim Strawbridge said:

Darnall Cemetery - Grace WILLIAMS, died 17th July 1917, aged 64. Buried in unconsecrated ground, section E, grave 487

The headstone for Williams is lying face down, unfortunately...

P1078961.jpg.464ad0b6055a1d0d1ed22722e5e1ed4c.jpg

On 25/08/2021 at 11:37, Jim Strawbridge said:

Tinsley Park cemetery, plot K, grave 176C - Elsie May VAUGHAN, VAD, died February 1919, aged 22.

This grave has a large bush growing out of it, but I was able to get some decent shots of the headstone...

P1078978.jpg.5272b4b6638052cb97406b8ce45ce1e5.jpg

I'm sure you will already have this one from Tinsley Park...

P1079010.jpg.7ce5a9ae9584afca8b0c7f80c6c2a9c2.jpg

Jim, who were you looking for in Kirkburton a few years ago?