Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

I was at NDL a few weeks ago and National Notre Dame military cemetery chapel was closed. Will have another visit in the near future.

Sorry if I am being rather thank but I am not sure which cemetery you are referring to "Arras Military Cemetery."

Kind regards

John

Hi Jim

I found these which I took some years ago. Thy are not very good especially the dirty glass and reflections of the stained glass windows. I will try and get some improved images next time I can get there.

Louise de Bettignies (1880-1918) 11

On the strength of her mastery of languages (English, German and Italian), gained in the course of her studies and travels abroad as a tutor, Louise de Bettignies was recruited as a secret agent by the British Army in 1914. She went under the pseudonym of Alice Dubois and organised an extensive network with links to the Belgian and Dutch networks. Arrested by the Germans in October 1915 and condemned to death in 1916, her sentence was commuted to forced labour for life. She died in captivity in Cologne on 27 September 1918. Her body was repatriated and buried in her home town of Saint- Amand-les-Eaux in 1920. In 1994, the wooden cross from her grave in Germany was symbolically placed in the chapel by her family.

DSC05132.jpg.3ae03bfbdc7782017a8ad23165c4ea4b.jpg

DSC05133.jpg.adeb6c9d9386f48f8feed053f03fca07.jpg

DSC05134.jpg.5292b45fbf4cabbe59a4a89747ba579f.jpg

DSC05136.jpg.1fff8ebe21602fbd6421ee9a623646ce.jpg

23 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Jim

I was at NDL a few weeks ago and National Notre Dame military cemetery chapel was closed. Will have another visit in the near future.

Sorry if I am being rather thank but I am not sure which cemetery you are referring to "Arras Military Cemetery."

Kind regards

John

Hello John,  I can only go on what has been gleaned from searching the Web. My source for the grave's whereabouts is here :-

https://jxxqguienkcjpsi4dks4qss44a-adv7ofecxzh2qqi-memorialgenweb-org.translate.goog/memorial3/html/fr/complementter.php?id=6419098

It shows as :-

Burial
Department : 62 - Pas-de-Calais
Municipality : Arras
Place : French military square
Square, rank, grave : Rang 4, grave 152

Hi Jim

Julie Olifie Joseph SABRE is buried in Arras Communal Cemetery, a very large cemetery. Within the cemetery there is a small plot of those killed by enemy action. Julie is buried alongside her sister Laure. I could see no sign of the other nurses. I believe that all three might be commemorated on the memorial in the centre of Arras, opposite the station. I will have a look as soon as possible.

The plot within Arras Communal Cemetery

1779530386_ArrasCemeteryPlot.jpg.52c096d4e313b44abdf5ef1c943d7726.jpg

Sister Veronique (Julie Sabre)

225085135_SisterVeronique_edited-1.jpg.e990c3411cbbd157a36171363661a2ca.jpg

Laure Sabre

327805676_LaureSabre.jpg.33cfa6110b551c80628981fd98b09143.jpg

Sisters

Sisters2_edited-1.jpg.6985b7e7f4e3f14af372763f92f1617a.jpg

Frajohn, That's brilliant. Thank you. Out of interest another nurse/nun died on the same day in the same enemy bombardment. She was the daughter of Ernest François Joseph Houriez and Zélie Marie Rosalie Houriez. A nun, her religious name was Sister Sainte Jeanne of the Augustine Order du Précieux-Sang à Arras. A member of Croix-Rouge Francaise Societe de Secours aux Blesses Militaires. She was a nurse killed through enemy bombardment. She was awarded the Croix de Guerre the citation of which translates to :- "Ms. Houriez (Angèle), in religion, Sister Sainte-Jeanne, of l’ambulance du Saint-Sacrement d’Arras, was killed during the bombardment of June 23, while engaged in the evacuation of patients from a room which collapsed the building having been hit by a heavy shell". A source shows her as Laetitia Joséphine Houriez. A pound to a penny she is buried in the same section of the cemetery. Please don't put yourself out but if you are in the vicinity I should be grateful if you would have a look unless the cemetery is too large.

Hi Jim, do you have the Ella Maud Bond memorial at Birkdale Cemetery?

19 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Hi Jim, do you have the Ella Maud Bond memorial at Birkdale Cemetery?

Paul, I assume that you are referring to her parents grave marker which has a reference to Ella's memory.  It is in the form of an open book. It reads “In loving memory of Charles Frank Bond. Born 18th May 1859. Died 9th Oct. 1927. Also Isabella Dewar Bond. Born 24th Sept 1865. Died 21st Nov. 1948. Also of Ella Maud . R.R.C. Sister, Q.A.I.M.N.S.R. Only daughter, who died on service 3rd Nov. 1918. She gave her life in unsparing devotion, to sustain that of our empire’s defenders”. If it is that one I already have it. Ella is actually buried in Grimsby.

Yep, that's the one. Spotted it while I was out and about yesterday. No worries!

On 02/05/2021 at 19:34, PaulC78 said:

Yep, that's the one. Spotted it while I was out and about yesterday. No worries!

535442155_BondEllaMaud.jpg.e9604eafd3d3284453fb997356d5067c.jpg

824032667_BondEllaMaud2.jpg.44203224b66ab51b0e539b88ab331982.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim seeing as it's international nurses day what do you have on 2 Barnsley nurses Dorothy Fox and Hilda Lancaster?

Twitter has been absolutely rife with details and photos of Nurses and other female casualties today.

3 woman grave finds today from in from the cold.

Florence Doreen Flint 

Constance Eleanor Johnson

Florence Jane Warren 

21 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

3 woman grave finds today from in from the cold.

Florence Doreen Flint 

Constance Eleanor Johnson

Florence Jane Warren 

Thank you, Wayne. I was aware as the Group keep me in the picture.

Just a quick update on the Memorial in Westerbegraafplaats in Gent.

I have heard back from a lady who does tours of all the War graves and Memorials in Gent. She can confirm that there are definitely 14 womens names, possibly 16, that are on the Memorial. One was executed as we know, and 5 were killed in an air raid, but she has still to research the other names.

I shall enlighten you more, once I find out more

21 hours ago, temptage said:

Just a quick update on the Memorial in Westerbegraafplaats in Gent.

I have heard back from a lady who does tours of all the War graves and Memorials in Gent. She can confirm that there are definitely 14 womens names, possibly 16, that are on the Memorial. One was executed as we know, and 5 were killed in an air raid, but she has still to research the other names.

I shall enlighten you more, once I find out more

Thank you.

Jim

having a week off next week as cant go to France, pm me who you want in Gloucestershire and will see if I can talk the wife into going for a ride.

16 hours ago, chaz said:

Jim

having a week off next week as cant go to France, pm me who you want in Gloucestershire and will see if I can talk the wife into going for a ride.

GLOUCESTERSHIRE,

BERKELEY    -    The name of Phoebe Elizabeth MEADOWS, VAD, died 20th May 1918 is said to be on the war memorial in St. Marys church Berkeley.

CHARLTON KINGS    -    Ada Betty PARRY, VAD, died 30th June 1917 is buried in grave 72, plot IV, Charlton Kings cemetery.

LYDNEY    -    Mary Ann WHITTINGTON, VAD, died October 1916 is buried in Lydney with Aylburton cemetery. I have a note that her grave is unmarked but I do not know where I got that information from. However, even a photograph of her unmarked grave plot is required. My hope is that the cemetery graves are laid out in date order and that the plot can be found fairly easily. As a help here is a reference to the burial record :- https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5158/images/43138_636897_2279-00983?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=999d14753f3b49727d59c9018070a56a&usePUB=true&_phsrc=kQJ7077&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=12561054

Her entry is no. 606 with Elizabeth Beakley (buried 30th October) and Alice Edith Wiggell (buried 18th November) on either side.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

Hopefully going to Etaples on Friday or Saturday. so close to Le Touquet-Paris-Plage. Have you the details of your requirement there?

Kind regards

John

2 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Jim

Hopefully going to Etaples on Friday or Saturday. so close to Le Touquet-Paris-Plage. Have you the details of your requirement there?

Kind regards

John

John, if you get to Le Touquet-Paris-Plage Communal Cemetery would you be able to take a hi-res headstone photo for me please. I do already have a photo of the headstone but it was taken 10 years ago and is of low quality. Details are

I. B. 18 - John William Pindar - Lincolnshire Regiment

If for any reason you are unable to get a photo, not to worry

On 18/05/2021 at 19:51, Jim Strawbridge said:

GLOUCESTERSHIRE,

BERKELEY    -    The name of Phoebe Elizabeth MEADOWS, VAD, died 20th May 1918 is said to be on the war memorial in St. Marys church Berkeley.

CHARLTON KINGS    -    Ada Betty PARRY, VAD, died 30th June 1917 is buried in grave 72, plot IV, Charlton Kings cemetery.

LYDNEY    -    Mary Ann WHITTINGTON, VAD, died October 1916 is buried in Lydney with Aylburton cemetery. I have a note that her grave is unmarked but I do not know where I got that information from. However, even a photograph of her unmarked grave plot is required. My hope is that the cemetery graves are laid out in date order and that the plot can be found fairly easily. As a help here is a reference to the burial record :- https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5158/images/43138_636897_2279-00983?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=999d14753f3b49727d59c9018070a56a&usePUB=true&_phsrc=kQJ7077&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=12561054

Her entry is no. 606 with Elizabeth Beakley (buried 30th October) and Alice Edith Wiggell (buried 18th November) on either side.

Jim pm sent regarding Ada Parry, 

MAry Whittington at Lydney, got us going round in circles. found Lydney  St Mary Church and churchyard also the cemetery, much of the churchyard is overgrown (read nature reserve, their words). as for Lydney with Aylburton cemetery, we drove around both Lydney and Aylburton as only around a mile apart but didnt find the church let alone a cemetery, Church and Chapel hills neither had a church or chapel.

Berkeley Phoebe Meadows name in picture, centre panel behind cross, I  lost your email , pm if you need original pic of name and wider view of memorial also Charlton Kings.

meantime will look at pm for the Lydney cemetery

1083942383_meadowsname.jpg.9d43bb4b22dacfbd1fee5e39d59299e4.jpg

memorial.jpg.ace0b210b0be275163d6442ae29a7d50.jpg

Wayne, this is one that I have. Not new but weathering well. It is a rare or unique case of a WW1 British munition worker on a CWGC headstone. Dorothy Willis is there because she was buried with her sister, Sarah Hart. Dorothy would not have had one if she had been buried alone but could not be ignored from the grave marker to her sister. I have specifically stated "British" munition worker as Australian munition workers are so commemorated due to an arrangement with the Australian government.

19 hours ago, Frajohn said:

Jim

Kind regards

John

LE TOUQUET-PARIS-PLAGE

Eugénie Louise Emma DEVIN was a member of the French Red Cross, died 5th March 1915 and is buried in grave 25, Military Square, Le Touquet cemetery.