Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

This is most interesting and helpful. She is currently lost to me but perhaps it would be as well to put my research into context. The Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cemetery is one under CWGC care. In that cemetery were/are French graves (A.1 Sussanne Renard, A.2 Maurice Rollard (assumed to be male), A.3 Germaine Gabet, A.4 no grave – records show that Roslaie Dupont (some sources say Dupuet) should be buried here but the grave has been found to be empty, A.5 Marguerite Hainaut, A.6 Marie Dumoulin, A.7 Asselle Gulles, A.8 no grave - the previous occupant (Mde Levetez) removed to Pys Communal Cemetery, A.9 Marie Joveniau), A.10 no grave – all French citizens. They were buried either prior to the establishment of the cemetery as a "British" one or were buried as the right thing to do at the time. Either way, their civilian graves are cared for by the CWGC as an exception and there is little point in removing them. The remains of Mde Levetez/Letevez were moved to Pys Communal Cemetery but now lost as there does not appear to be a grave marker. Temptage's research is helpful as he has identified that the surname may actually have been Letevez and that she was killed on the 20th October 1918 in the village of Bertry (although her name, nor any of the others in Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cemetery appear on Bertry War Memorial). But at least my research information has been pushed forward a little bit. Temptage has listed four women whose names are on the memorial. I have found a list of names from the memorial on line and as well as the names mentioned there is an Émélie PRUVOT who I assume was female.   https://monumentsmorts.univ-lille.fr/monument/97/bertry-place/ 

5 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

This is most interesting and helpful. She is currently lost to me but perhaps it would be as well to put my research into context. The Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cemetery is one under CWGC care. In that cemetery were/are French graves (A.1 Sussanne Renard, A.2 Maurice Rollard (assumed to be male), A.3 Germaine Gabet, A.4 no grave – records show that Roslaie Dupont (some sources say Dupuet) should be buried here but the grave has been found to be empty, A.5 Marguerite Hainaut, A.6 Marie Dumoulin, A.7 Asselle Gulles, A.8 no grave - the previous occupant (Mde Levetez) removed to Pys Communal Cemetery, A.9 Marie Joveniau), A.10 no grave – all French citizens. They were buried either prior to the establishment of the cemetery as a "British" one or were buried as the right thing to do at the time. Either way, their civilian graves are cared for by the CWGC as an exception and there is little point in removing them. The remains of Mde Levetez/Letevez were moved to Pys Communal Cemetery but now lost as there does not appear to be a grave marker. Temptage's research is helpful as he has identified that the surname may actually have been Letevez and that she was killed on the 20th October 1918 in the village of Bertry (although her name, nor any of the others in Rocquigny-Equancourt Road British Cemetery appear on Bertry War Memorial). But at least my research information has been pushed forward a little bit. Temptage has listed four women whose names are on the memorial. I have found a list of names from the memorial on line and as well as the names mentioned there is an Émélie PRUVOT who I assume was female.   https://monumentsmorts.univ-lille.fr/monument/97/bertry-place/ 

She is the only one from that village (named as Berty on form)

Screenshot_3.jpg.0d32bd6a0a51ae4ae52b909e91600bc4.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg.167ca27fe0e2368486dcfd6acdf06818.jpg

Jim, just got back home.

I cant say that Levetez or Letevez was visible, Im sure if it had been I would have noticed it.

attached a picture of the graves there, as I said, there werew a couple unreadable and one or two turned over dirt.

pys.jpg

2nd and 3rd on left are un named and the dark one down the bottom also, there are a couple on the other row just seen on the right that are un named or just a mound

Edited by chaz

So my listing of French graves is a bit awry. Temptage has provided the root source and Letevez is correct. Also I assume that all of the names are listed first name first so (A.1 Sussanne Renard is now Renard Sussanne, A.2 Maurice Rollard is now Rollard Maurice, A.3 Germaine Gabet is correct, A.4 no grave but originally listed as Candide Dupont rather than Roslaie Dupont, A.5 Marguerite Hainaut is correct, A.6 Marie Dumoulin is correct, A.7 Asselle Gulles is correct, A.8 originally Mde Letevez, A.9 Mlle Marie Joveniau), A.10 was Lt. Col. F.S. Sous Chef D'Emb., C.A.). Thank you, Chaz, for having a good look for Mde Letevez. Just to be accurate which of the names relate to women. Two are definite because of the Mde. and Mlle. I am guessing at Germaine, Candide, Marguerite and Marie. Is anyone out there familiar with French first names ?

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

So my listing of French graves is a bit awry. Temptage has provided the root source and Letevez is correct. Also I assume that all of the names are listed first name first so (A.1 Sussanne Renard is now Renard Sussanne, A.2 Maurice Rollard is now Rollard Maurice, A.3 Germaine Gabet is correct, A.5 Marguerite Hainaut is correct, A.6 Marie Dumoulin is correct, A.7 Asselle Gulles is correct, A.9 Mlle Marie Joveniau...........

...........Just to be accurate which of the names relate to women. Two are definite because of the Mde. and Mlle. I am guessing at Germaine, Candide, Marguerite and Marie. Is anyone out there familiar with French first names ?

A few little discrepancies from the paperwork to the headstones.

Renard is the surname, so Sussanne is female (Initial letter C on stone so might not be Sussanne)

Rollard is the surname. Maurice first name is male

Germaine Gabet (with an 'e' is the female form of the name)

Marguerite Hainaut is female

Marie Dumoulin is female

Asselle Gulles unsure as to gender

Marie Joveniau is female

22298653.jpg

22298654.jpg

22298655.jpg

22298656.jpg

22298657.jpg

22298658.jpg

22298659.jpg

Edited by temptage

no crosses like that at Pys, also Tony says Rollard is male, the majority of male ones Ive seen are military, would civilians have a plain plaque like the ones pictured as the military ones have more info on them? no date of birth or death>?

Just a little more information I have found. Germaine Gabet is possibly the Germaine Gabet who was born to Octave Deboeck and Hermannia Deboeck (nee Decrereq) on the 9th February 1874. She had two siblings and married Marcel Gabet (b. 1896 in Belgium). They had two children being Gaby Lewis (nee Gabet) and one other. Also Candide Dupont's remains are now in Grevillers British Cemetery under the name of Rosalie Dupeut (unless anyone can prove that this is a different person). Candide was actually Marie Zélide Candide Dupont, daughter of Jules Hector Dupont and Marie Elisabeth Innocente Dupont (nee Petit).

19 hours ago, chaz said:

no crosses like that at Pys, also Tony says Rollard is male, the majority of male ones Ive seen are military, would civilians have a plain plaque like the ones pictured as the military ones have more info on them? no date of birth or death>?

They are all the remaining French Civilian graves on that one row where Madame Letevez was buried at Rocquigny-Equancourt

The reason there are no death dates could be down to as and when their bodies were found by advancing troops, they didnt know how long the bodies had been there. I have heard that French civilians were supposed to carry some sort of ID with them, so that could be how they got their names. Maurice Rollard may have been above the age for serving in the war, hence his civilian status.

Edited by temptage

thanks for the explanation, we have come across many crosses and headstones in French communial cemeteries, many designs for military participants

22 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Jim, 

What are the details for Ainsdale in Lancashire, would make another pleasant afternoon drive for us.

AINSDALE  -  Stella Rose Boue-Blandy, QAIMNS, died 13th January 1919. She seems to be recorded in three places a) Ainsdale War Memorial, b) Ainsdale United Reform Church and c) a memorial in St. Johns Church. I have photographs of the first two but need a photograph of the memorial in St. Johns. I don't know if this is a single memorial or a war memorial re the parish.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of photos taken today at Liverpool (Kirkdale) Cemetery...

Dorothy Mary Williamson, CE 18/16:

11392076_WilliamsonDorothyMary1.jpg.edbe7d4ff9647ab0803c835c73780082.jpg

Laura Marion Gailey, GEN 7/1433:

1483713126_GaileyLauraMarion.jpg.f268378

Will email you some full size photos, plus a few others.

Edited by PaulC78

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim I know you're on Facebook and I'm on a group called Barnsley's history the great war. Linda on there has put up a post on Barnsley woman of WW1 so if you get time have a look and see if there are any that may be new to you. As soon as possible I will get back to traveling and taking photos again. Stay safe and take care. 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, tonydb said:

Here are two images I took in Liverpool Toxteth Cemetery.

Hope these are of use.

Tony.

Thank you, Tony. I had them already but always happy to take more as it enables me to pick out the best for my purpose.j

What do you need from Blackburn? If it's Blackburn Cemetery I might be able to help.

8 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

What do you need from Blackburn? If it's Blackburn Cemetery I might be able to help.

Paul, Here are my needs from Blackburn

Blackburn Cemetery - Isabella COTTON, VAD, died 21/11/18 and buried in plot 3348, row E, section CE. Photograph of headstone required.

Jim - Who do you need at Langton Long, Dorset? I may be able to visit.

Acknown

1 hour ago, Acknown said:

Jim - Who do you need at Langton Long, Dorset? I may be able to visit.

Acknown

Langton Long - Louisa Isabella ROY, VAD, died 9th February 1919, aged 27, and is buried in Langton Long cemetery. A photograph of her headstone required.

OK Jim. I'll visit soon, Covid permitting.

ACknown

Jim are you aware of a lady called Cicely (or Cecily) Frances Dorrien-Smith (or Smith-Dorrien) who is named on a grave in St Nicholas Churchyard on Tresco in the Scilly Isles?

Served in the VAD. Died on 18/04/1915 at 10th Base Hospital, Rouen, from bronchitis and pneumonia after contracting measles. I have been told that her body was repatriated by her sister and is buried on Tresco, but something doesnt ring true about it. She has no record on CWGC at either Rouen or Tresco.

Edited by temptage
Im a doofus!

49 minutes ago, temptage said:

Jim are you aware of a lady called Cicely (or Cecily) Frances Dorrien-Smith (or Smith-Dorrien) who is named on a grave in St Nicholas Churchyard on Tresco in the Scilly Isles?

Served in the VAD. Died on 18/04/1915 at 10th Base Hospital, Rouen, from bronchitis and pneumonia after contracting measles. I have been told that her body was repatriated by her sister and is buried on Tresco, but something doesnt ring true about it. She has no record on CWGC at either Rouen or Tresco.

Yes, she is one of mine. She was Cicely Frances Smith-Dorien-Smith who was born on the 4th November 1882 at the ancestral home of Tresco Abbey, Tresco, Isles of Scilly. She and her sister travelled to Rouen, France in March 1915 to do their bit manning manning Lady Egerton's Coffee Stall, which, if I recall correctly, was set up at the railway station to provide refreshments and comforts to the soldiers passing through. Cicely, her sister and Lady Egerton were all admitted to 10 General Hospital suffering from measles and bronchitis. Unfortunately, Cicely died and her body repatriated to Tresco where she was buried in the family plot at St. Nicholas' churchyard. She was aged 33. She was not a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment or one of the recognised quasi organisations that were recognised so her family could take possession of the body and bring her home. Incidently, her grave/headstone is one that I am still after so if you took a photograph of it I would be grateful if you would share it with me.  Regards and keep safe, Jim

35 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Yes, she is one of mine. She was Cicely Frances Smith-Dorien-Smith who was born on the 4th November 1882 at the ancestral home of Tresco Abbey, Tresco, Isles of Scilly. She and her sister travelled to Rouen, France in March 1915 to do their bit manning manning Lady Egerton's Coffee Stall, which, if I recall correctly, was set up at the railway station to provide refreshments and comforts to the soldiers passing through. Cicely, her sister and Lady Egerton were all admitted to 10 General Hospital suffering from measles and bronchitis. Unfortunately, Cicely died and her body repatriated to Tresco where she was buried in the family plot at St. Nicholas' churchyard. She was aged 33. She was not a member of the Voluntary Aid Detachment or one of the recognised quasi organisations that were recognised so her family could take possession of the body and bring her home. Incidently, her grave/headstone is one that I am still after so if you took a photograph of it I would be grateful if you would share it with me.  Regards and keep safe, Jim

Her name was Cicely Frances Dorrien-Smith, not Smith-Dorrien-Smith. This has come about because some of her details list her as Smith-Dorrien but her family were, and still are, Dorrien-Smith. They own the majority of Tresco, and still live there now. Cicely's father built the Church in the 1870's.

The fact that she was over there with her sister would explain how she was able to repatriate and bury her sister within 6 days of her death. So at the time because she wasnt serving in any of the 'known' organisations, that would be why she isnt on the CWGC database. Do you think it might be worth putting her name forward for commemoration?

120024318_10223423728170617_3309302553449821630_n.jpg.172923314013aa4ef3ce0318ddfd7236.jpg

Headstone

119935790_10223423727930611_8305740356627582758_n.jpg.c0089412a12950302e362e4bfcae7f65.jpg

Close up of the wooden screen in St Nicholas Church

120014885_10223423726090565_9126584039326981904_n.jpg.923fec8bec0d682226257f3d11201458.jpg

Full wooden screen in St Nicholas Church

96363451_827392944416080_7815385257900769280_n.jpg.199e366a5793b0d61aff6a59b5ef941e.jpg

Memorial with the Churchyard

96423323_827392964416078_6339718998476718080_n.jpg.8f9c243331d87630a87d1200389a6ee7.jpg

Close up of Memorial