Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Do you have all the female civilians killed in air-raids on Margate on your list? Two of them are my distant relatives.

I cant quite understand why the CWGC commemorate the many civilians who died 'due to enemy action' in WW2, but not the comparitive few who died in WW1.

Margate War Memorial WWI Civilians Roll of Honour.pdf

15 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I am the wrong person to ask. Try Chris. But I don't really understand why you are asking. No one is doubting that the CWGC marker is in the right place. If they knew she was buried in that churchyard but not the exact spot then they would have placed either a screen wall or a headstone reading "In this cemetery lies etc".

Have sent Chris a message. My question for you was based on the very clear details you had included in a post 04 August 2018, which included location of the grave and that this was 'originally a common grave it was purchased by the family six months after Hilda's death'. Hilda MOORBY was Commemorated United Kingdom Book of Remembrance 08 September 2018.  The photograph of the CWGC Headstone was posted on 13 December 2019. 

9 hours ago, BarbaraG said:

Have sent Chris a message. My question for you was based on the very clear details you had included in a post 04 August 2018, which included location of the grave and that this was 'originally a common grave it was purchased by the family six months after Hilda's death'. Hilda MOORBY was Commemorated United Kingdom Book of Remembrance 08 September 2018.  The photograph of the CWGC Headstone was posted on 13 December 2019. 

At the time I must have had access to the burial register. I made a note that :- "Her grave has been traced to Waltonwrays cemetery and there are two further burials in the grave. These are Welbury Moorby (b. 1871, buried 8th May 1926) and Edith Elizabeth Moorby (Hilda's mother, buried 15th June 1946). Originally a common grave it was purchased by the family six months after Hilda's death". The grave position must have been correctly identified twice since Hilda's burial, the last in 1946 when the last incumbent was interred. I am guessing that Hilda was the first in a new common grave (perhaps because the family could not be traced or that finance for the grave was not available). Once the family was aware (or monies had been saved up), the grave was purchased. It would make sense for a headstone to have been erected but not all families had the resources to do so. The family worked in cotton mills and so far as I am aware were not wealthy but working class. But to answer the original question, I do not know if there was an original headstone over the grave before the CWGC one but my feeling is that there wasn't.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

I thoroughly enjoy looking through posts on this thread - amazing work since 2003.

Many thanks Jim for the extra details for Hilda’s family.

Hi Jim,

With the easing of lock down, I can now get to some of the north Staffordshire cemeteries. Can you give me the details for Brindley Ford and Newchapel.

21 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Jim,

With the easing of lock down, I can now get to some of the north Staffordshire cemeteries. Can you give me the details for Brindley Ford and Newchapel.

Brindley Ford is quite an easy one. Sarah Ann WIGGIN, V.A.D., is a name on the Brindley Ford War Memorial. I already have a photograph of it but it was pinched off the Web so I haven't got the copyright holder's permission.

Similarly for Newchapel. The grave of Sarah Ann WIGGIN is in St. James churchyard. I have a grave photograph off Billion Graves (again no copyright) but sight of the photo from there will probably help you find it.

I have printed a copy of the Billion Graves photograph and I can see the war memorial on Google street view, looks straight forward, Thursday looks like the best day weather wise so will probably go then.

Drumroll please.................................

542684887_ROBERTSJ2.jpg.d4cb7ea324b24fff74e6e2307174763d.jpg

782061939_ROBERTSJ.thumb.jpg.b37721dd9fab09638be5e91c81000ead.jpg

Thank you, Tony. For others looking in - this is the Salta Memorial. My current interest is Jane Roberts, Her name is showing here under Q.A.I.M.N.S. I believe that she is also recorded on the Salta Memorial as "1 unknown nursing sister". My evidence was given to the CWGC some years ago and I wondered if the Memorial had yet been amended. Tony, did you photograph that part of the memorial that lists A,G. Mann and the  "1 unknown nursing sister" listed as Q.A.I.M.N.S. to see if reference to the "unknown" has been deleted?

On 13/03/2020 at 13:52, temptage said:

There is a cropped photo of her headstone online but I will try to get up there to get another full photo of her headstone for you in the next week.........unless im isolating!!!

New photo of Abigail Emerson's headstone.

781853688_IMG_20200609_1341051.jpg.50909628ff2b5b633c7a61f5f8adc832.jpg

6 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

did you photograph that part of the memorial that lists A,G. Mann and the  "1 unknown nursing sister" listed as Q.A.I.M.N.S. to see if reference to the "unknown" has been deleted?

It looks like the whole panel has been replaced with new, top and bottom. The 'unknown nursing sister' has been removed. Is the name A G Mann on another panel?

1861491337_SALTAMEMORIAL2.jpg.b7ffe711353e73d36dda149882b9c460.jpg

Edited by temptage

Here is a low resolution picture of Brindley Ford Memorial where Sister Sarah Ann Wiggin is commemorated. Interestingly there is a J Wiggin on one of the side panels. I have images of all the panels if anyone is interested in these feel free to PM me and I will supply copies of the pictures. High res version on the way to you Jim by email.

140421851_BrindleyFordMemorialLR.jpg.00c8c6bb94351d07c5868a885cc186d6.jpg

And here is a low resolution image of Sister Sarah Ann Wiggin's Grave. The back lighting made it difficult to get a readable general view, however a high resolution image of the grave details is on it's way Jim.

434829316_SarahAnnWigginLR.jpg.2e004a8ed321a5fbdd1774169143455b.jpg  

Edited by temptage

4 hours ago, temptage said:

It looks like the whole panel has been replaced with new, top and bottom. The 'unknown nursing sister' has been removed. Is the name A G Mann on another panel?

The panel with the name of A.G. Mann and the unknown nurse I believe to be a different one to that which you have provided. You will see it below.

MannAGSaltaMemfromBarbaraJanman.jpg.5e4d6526629d512ae00a4f6797bd5674.jpg

My man is on the case. He's going to photograph ALL the panels for me.

IF Jane Roberts is buried in and around that plot, along with Nurse Mann, as suggested on the panel above, then its interesting to see they have added her name to the other panel, which is for those persons whose bodies were not recovered.

I shall wait to receive the new photos to see what the panels show.

On 06/06/2020 at 00:47, BarbaraG said:

Thanks Barbara. Jim's reply to your question is also very helpful. I did wonder if Hilda's parents were with her. And now I know! 

Update on Salta Memorial

A G Mann and the 'unknown Nursing Sister' are still there, BUT there has been details altered on the panel, but havent removed the 'uNS'. Words changed, lettering changed, numbers changed

281049868_SALTA6.jpg.7816858ecfab74533744ebb3073d450e.jpg

Edited by temptage

I have often wondered how they could change an established marker, for to remove some of the wording you have to take away some of the stone. But plainly, and most obvious on "1 unknown fireman" changing to "3 unknown sailors" the old wording is accurately cut out and a new small block of stone inserted in it's place then naming cut into it. Very precisely done.

5 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I have often wondered how they could change an established marker, for to remove some of the wording you have to take away some of the stone. But plainly, and most obvious on "1 unknown fireman" changing to "3 unknown sailors" the old wording is accurately cut out and a new small block of stone inserted in it's place then naming cut into it. Very precisely done.

Yes, all very clever. I follow a gentleman called Nader Habash on Twitter. He is a stonemason for the CWGC over in Israel. He regularly shows his handywork on there.

Still makes me wonder why they didnt blank out the "uNS" though, considering she has now been named and added on another panel. Might be worth contacting the CWGC to see if they intend to remove the wording, as that now makes numbers of casualties incorrect.

Edited by temptage

Hi Jim,

what are the details for Taxal in Derbyshire? I assume it's the Taxal near Whaley Bridge, a pleasant afternoon drive for us. 

20 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Jim,

what are the details for Taxal in Derbyshire? I assume it's the Taxal near Whaley Bridge, a pleasant afternoon drive for us. 

Annie Mycock, VAD, died 20th December 1916 and is buried in grace 23, St. James Churchyard, Buxton Road, Taxal, Whaley Bridge. Her name is on the war memorial in St. James Church. I need photographs of both.  Her brother's name is also on the WM but I don't need that. Have a pleasant afternoon drive.

If the WM is inside the Church it may not be currently accessible but I should be able to photograph the grave. I will try and find out when the Church is open as well.

As I thought the Church is currently closed but can be accessed by groups by appointment, not sure if they would open for one person but I could try. 

Church Website

Edited by Gardenerbill

As my listing of "wants" is several pages back it is time to renew here.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CHESHIRE, Chester

CORNWALL, Isles of Scilly,

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DORSETSHIRE, Holt, Langton Long

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings, Leckhampton, Lydney, Oakridge Lynch

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane), Ulster (Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Healey, Manchester, Ormskirk, Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

WARWICKSHIRE, Coventry

YORKSHIRE, Colton, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Redcar, Sheffield, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arras, Chaumont, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches, Troyes
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Kilkenny (Kilkenny), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro), Minnesota (Mankato, Maplewood), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months -

On :- CAMBRIDGESHIRE (Cottenham 8/20), CHESHIRE (Chester 5/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 3/20), NORFOLK (Norwich 5/20), SURREY (Caterham 2/20), CANADA Ontario (Teeswater 3/20, Toronto 9/20), ITALY (Rome 2/20), U.S.A. Florida (Palatka 8/20), Georgia (Atlants 3/20), Illinois (Chicago 6/20, Norway 4/20), Indiana (Ellwood 2/20), Iowa (West Liberty 8/20), Minnesota (Mankato, 7/20, Old Town 2/20), Maryland (Baltimore 3/20), Massachusetts (Arlington 7/20, Malden 8/20), Michigan (Detroit 5/20), Montana (Butte 3/20), New Hampshire (Concord 3/20), New Jersey (Totowa 7/20),New York (Schenectady 3/20), Ohio (Chardon 8/20, Cleveland 7/20), Pennsylvania (Forty Fort 2/20, Williamsport 5/20), Wisconsin (Stevens Point 8/20)

Off :- DERBYSHIRE (Marston on Dove 6/20, Taxal 6/20), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Coleford 7/20), LANCASHIRE (Chadderton 3/20, Ford 8/20, Kirkdale 8/20, Rainhill 8/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Grimsby 6/20), PERTHSHIRE (Dunblane 6/20), STAFFORDSHIRE (Brindley Ford 6/20, Eccleshall 5/20, Newchapel 6/20), SURREY (Witley 6/20), YORKSHIRE (Halifax 3/20, Low Moor 2/20), FRANCE (Le Havre 6/20)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge