Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

The first and third photographs were taken by another of my photographer friends so are already tucked into my files. The second one is too small for me to recognise as to whether I have it or not.

The second photo is on Vera Claysons grave in newham cemetery. It has 15 children listed on it. Is this the photo you have and need me to photograph. 

22 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

The second photo is on Vera Claysons grave in newham cemetery. It has 15 children listed on it. Is this the photo you have and need me to photograph. 

Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, that's the one. I have a poor photograph of it that would not reproduce well and as it was off the Webb I do not have the copyright holder's permission.

Jim, I have a photo of Louisa Chamberlain's name on the memorial brass in St Luke's Chapel, Royal Hospital Haslar. Are you interested?

(QARNNS(R) drowned in a boating accident in Scapa Flow, you already have a photo of the cross in Lyness).

11 hours ago, seaJane said:

Jim, I have a photo of Louisa Chamberlain's name on the memorial brass in St Luke's Chapel, Royal Hospital Haslar. Are you interested?

(QARNNS(R) drowned in a boating accident in Scapa Flow, you already have a photo of the cross in Lyness).

I am guessing that this one is different to the one in the porchway at Haslar, so yes, please.

Hi Jim

Saw your recent update on the 'Yorkshire' wants (Post 2351). 

I can add something on a couple.

BURLEY IN WHARFDALE - Joanna Elizabeth HOPPER-GREENWOOD, QAIMNS (not a CWGC recorded casualty) died 11th April 1921. She is buried in St. Mary's Churchyard, Burley in Wharfdale.

I have visited this cemetery. It is not very large and a lot of the headstones appear to have been removed.  There is no grave marker for Joanna Elizabeth Hopper-Greenwood.

SKIPTON - Hilda MOORBY, VAD, died 8th October 1918. She is buried in grave 1454, section C, Waltonwrays Cemetery, Skipton.

Photograph of her headstone attached.

Chris 

IMG_20191213_134013.jpg

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I am guessing that this one is different to the one in the porchway at Haslar, so yes, please.

It may be the same relocated; I'm afraid I don't know. I'll send all the same.

Thank you, Chris Ludlam. Joanna Hopper-Greenwood came from a wealthy family and I can only assume that St. Mary's in Burley-in-Wharfdale had a purge for maintenance purposes and remived it with others. I will keep it on my list as I shall look for a photograph of her plot instead. Thanks, also, for the new one of Hilda Moorsby now that the CWGC has recognised her for commemoration.

On 13/12/2019 at 00:52, seaJane said:

Thank you, Jane. Safely received.

Arrrr. I've justed looked and you have several woman buried in east london cemetery plaistow. It is the same cemetery I've been in for the children's memorial newham. While I was there the man there told me about the other memorial but I thought you didn't need it. I cant go back now I'm gutted it will be dark. We can do it again when we are playing charlton in February.

Just as an aside, while the memorial to the Upper North Street School is in plot 52, Ripper victim Elizabeth Stride lies across the other side cemetery in plot 37. Not sure if her grave is marked though.

Edited by maxi
Lazy English

11 minutes ago, maxi said:

Just as an aside, while the memorial to the Upper North Street School is in plot 52, Ripper victim Elizabeth Stride lies across the other side cemetery in plot 37. Not sure if her grave is marked though.

Do you know the plot for the other explosion 

I am sorry but I don't. However, if you call the cemetery on 0207 476 5109 you will find them very helpful. They sent me a plot map marking the two plots that I was looking for.

8 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Got both in newham. Will email you them all. Next is Swansea on the 29th and derby on the 2nd January 

SWANSEA

Esther DEVONALD, munition worker, died 9th June 1917 and is buried in plot 155F, Danygraig Cemetery, Swansea.

Mary FITZMAURICE, munition worker, died 18th November 1918 and is buried in plot 251W, Danygraig Cemetery, Swansea.

Catherine HILL, munition worker, died 1917 and is buried in plot 123S, Danygraig Cemetery, Swansea.

Mildred OWEN, munition worker, died 31st July 1917 and is buried in Danygraig Cemetery, Swansea.

Annie Mary ROACH, nurse, died 20th December 1915 and is buried in Danygraig Cemetery, Swansea.

Dorothy Mary WATSON, munition worker, died 31st July 1917 and is buried in Danygraig Cemetery, Swansea.

Danygraig Cemetery covers 20 acres so I wouldn't expect searching where plot numbers I have been unable to provide.

DERBY

There are several locations between Barnsley and Derby - mainly around and south of Chesterfield.

Hi Jim. I have seen on twitter a family grave for Winifred Maud Brown died 31 december 1917 In church rock cemetery Nottingham. Not my photos but do you need this one.

IMG_20191223_162126.jpg

IMG_20191223_162136.jpg

I didn't know that this memorial existed. I have photographs of her and her actual grave in Alexandria. So, yes please, if you are ever in the area.

Ok this is Nottingham I'll try to do it when I go to derby on the 2nd January. I have been emailing someone in Swansea who hopefully will find plot numbers for me for this Sunday. Merry Christmas 

9 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Ok this is Nottingham I'll try to do it when I go to derby on the 2nd January. I have been emailing someone in Swansea who hopefully will find plot numbers for me for this Sunday. Merry Christmas 

Wayne, thank you (and your fellow supporters) for the help that you have provided during the year. Merry Christmas.

Only 2 woman in swansea have headstones. The others have been marked by the cemetery though so I will email them to you. Derby next then crewe next sunday so who do you need from crewe

20191229_111857.jpg

2 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Only 2 woman in swansea have headstones. The others have been marked by the cemetery though so I will email them to you. Derby next then crewe next sunday so who do you need from crewe

Looking at my current list on page 94 I cannot see any of "my wants" between Barnsley and Crewe (Cheshire is currently complete).  Have a look and let me know if you need details. I think that the Crewe match is FA Cup so good luck.

Hi Jim,

Merry Xmas and New Year to you.

Two more for you

Firstly Marjorie Joan Wesley Griffiths.

DSC_3159.JPG.36361e1cff714ab69257432099c71cbf.JPG

…. and second Olive Mary Fawkes

DSC_3167.JPG.d30bca81f8b21339963eb69aed02f704.JPG

Simon. Thank you. I am coming through direct to ask which cemetery Marjorie Joan Wesley Griffith (no s) is in. I assume Prestbury (Cheltenham Cemetery). Also to ask if you have a "close up" of the inscription on her headstone.

An update of my photograph requirements.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

CORNWALL, Isles of Scilly,

CUMBRIA, Winster

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Marston on Dove, Shirebrook, Taxal, Tibshelf
DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DORSETSHIRE, Holt, Langton Long

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Cheltenham, Charlton Kings, Coleford, Leckhampton, Lydney, Oakridge Lynch

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane), Ulster (Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Healey, Liverpool x 2 (Ford Cemetery and Kirkdale), Manchester, Ormskirk, Rainhill, Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradley, Brindley Ford, Chasetown, Dudley, Newchapel, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge, Witley
SUSSEX, Angmering, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

WARWICKSHIRE, Coventry

YORKSHIRE, Burley in Wharfdale, Colton, Halifax, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Low Moor, Redcar, Sheffield, Staithes

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arras, Chaumont, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches, Troyes
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Kilkenny (Kilkenny), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Minnesota (Maplewood), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Milwaukee, Superior)

within past six months -

On :- CAMBRIDGESHIRE (Mepal 7/19), DERBYSHIRE (Chesterfield 9/19), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Leckhampton 8/19, Lydney 8/19, Oakridge Lynch 7/19), KENT (Erith 7/19), LANCASHIRE (Rainhill 9/19), OXFORDSHIRE (Ardington 7/19), STAFFORDSHIRE (Dudley 1/20, Stoke-on-Trent 8/19), CANADA Ontario (Athens 10/19), DENBIGHSHIRE (Wrexham 11/19), FRANCE (Arras 9/19, Troyes 11/19), IRELAND, South (Co. Clare, Quin 7/19), U.S.A. California (Los Angeles 10/19, San Francisco 11/19), Illinois (Kewanee 12/19), Minnesota (Maplewood 11/19), Oakland 10/19), Maine (East Stoneham 10/19), New York (LeRoy 11/19), Oklahoma (Mountain View 10/19), Pennsylvania (Yeadon 1/20), Rhode Island (Providence 12/19), Utah (Salt Lake City 12/19), Vermont, Bradford 10/19), Virginia (Arlington 11/19), Wisconsin (Milwaukee 1/20)

Off :- ANGLESEY (Holyhead 7/19), ARGYLLSHIRE (Appin 8/19, Kilmartin 8/19), BUCKINGHAMSHIRE (Wycombe 9/19), CHESHIRE (Ashton upon Mersey 8/19), Cornwall (Phillack 7/19), DEVONSHIRE (Withycombe 8/19), HAMPSHIRE (Alverstoke 7/19, Southampton (Old Cemetery) 1/20), KENT (Gillingham 11/19), LANCASHIRE (St. Helens 1/20, Wigan 10/19, Withington 1/20), LEICESTERSHIRE (Barrow upon Soar 1/20, Loughborough 1/20), LINCOLNSHIRE (Belton 9/19, Blyton 9/19), LONDON (Harrow 10/19), NORTHAMPTON (Northampton (Dallington 1/20)), NOTTINGHAMSHIRE (Newark 9/19), OXFORDSHIRE (Ardington 10/19), STAFFORDSHIRE (Uttoxeter 10/19), YORKSHIRE (Altofts 7/19, Bramham 7/19, Danby Wiske,1/20, Horsforth 7/19, Leeds (Beckett Street) 7/19, Scarborough 1/20, Skipton 12/19), FRANCE (Estaires (2) 11/19), IRELAND (Cork, Kinsale 12/19, Dublin, Deansgrange 7/19), USA (Iowa, Davenport 1/20).

Edited by Jim Strawbridge