Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi jim I've had a look and when we go to crewe we will be passing close to withington Lancashire. What are your requirements there. I have been on deceased online and asked them what you get for your money and they have sent me 2 free plots Annie Benson is in church rock cemetery st Anne's valley 9796. This would be £2.50 as they only have a map of the area and not individual plots. Gladys may Buckley is in Nottingham general cemetery o/1187 this would be £5 as they sent me a map showing her exact plot 

GSDOImage.jpeg.jpg

I wont be paying any money to them but at least we have 2 free and I'm in Nottingham tomorrow so will have a look 

GSDOImage.jpeg-1.jpg

The files are saved to Dropbox as usual and just an update on what's left.

Amy Despard - I have checked cemeteries in the Borough of Westminster and local surrounds without any luck. She is not buried in Cheltenham

cemetery or Charlton Kings. There is a relative buried in St.Peters churchyard, Leckhampton Jane Letitia Despard but no listing for Amy.

I'll keep looking.

Mary Whittington - Next week or two.

Phoebe Meadows - Next week or two have to coincide visit with the church being open.

Frances Tooby - Unable to get (info supplied)

Ada Parry - There are a few burials with the surname 'Parry' locally but her burial return for Charlton Kings cemetery seems to be incorrect. I have been in

contact with Cheltenham Council (Cemetery section) and I will post parts of the correspondence..

……… 

With regard to the late Ada Betty PARRY, I can find no record of her being buried in Charlton Kings Cemetery and the grave section and number you have provided, was buried in and purchased in 1914, by a family in the name of Ruck.  I have checked the records for 1917 and the records state, that there were no burials between May and September of that year.  Unfortunately, Cheltenham Borough Council, inherited the cemetery from Charlton Kings Parish Council back in the 1970’s, so we have no idea whether there has been a clerical error, or whether there was some reason as to why certain burials were not recorded.  We have noticed that there seem to be a lot of burials in Block 4, which are classed as un-consecrated, yet they are next door to a grave, which is classed as consecrated ground.  We can only assume, that the graves were consecrated at the time of the burial and not as we have here, where there are Roman Catholic, Church of England and Non-Conformist sections.  There is nothing in any of the books we inherited from the Parish Council, to explain why certain actions were taken, but Ada Parry’s name is definitely not in the index for 1917.

Because Charlton Kings Cemetery and St Mary’s Churchyard are in such close proximity, it does seem to cause confusion and we do often have people looking for graves in the cemetery that are in the Churchyard and vice versa.  I am not saying that this is the case in this instance, however, it may explain some of the other queries we have had. 

I will be checking St.Mary's churchyard this weekend.

Regards,

Simon.

*** Close ups are in the dropbox folders. *****

**** Marjorie Griffiths was indeed buried in Cheltenham (Prestbury) Cemetery ******

Edited by simon2
additional info

20 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Hi jim I've had a look and when we go to crewe we will be passing close to withington Lancashire. What are your requirements there.

WITHINGTON - Henrietta Amelia WALKER, VAD, died on the 18th October 1921  (aged 74) and is buried in St. Pauls churchyard, Withington. Sorry, no plot number and she doesn't appear to be on Find A Grave or Billion Graves.

My budget is limited but I will cough up some money if it helps find them.

46 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

WITHINGTON - Henrietta Amelia WALKER, VAD, died on the 18th October 1921  (aged 74) and is buried in St. Pauls churchyard, Withington. Sorry, no plot number and she doesn't appear to be on Find A Grave or Billion Graves.

My budget is limited but I will cough up some money if it helps find them.

I'll have a look sunday. The church will be open so may get help there. As for paying I would wait a bit yet. There is still plenty of options that are free. I have emailed Nottingham about the other woman and see what I get back. Off to Nottingham soon so happy new year

2 minutes ago, bostonwayne said:

I'll have a look sunday. The church will be open so may get help there. As for paying I would wait a bit yet. There is still plenty of options that are free. I have emailed Nottingham about the other woman and see what I get back. Off to Nottingham soon so happy new year

Thank you. Happy New Year to you, too.

20 hours ago, simon2 said:

Amy Despard - I have checked cemeteries in the Borough of Westminster and local surrounds without any luck. She is not buried in Cheltenham

cemetery or Charlton Kings. There is a relative buried in St.Peters churchyard, Leckhampton Jane Letitia Despard but no listing for Amy.

I'll keep looking.

Ada Parry - There are a few burials with the surname 'Parry' locally but her burial return for Charlton Kings cemetery seems to be incorrect. I have been in

contact with Cheltenham Council (Cemetery section) and I will post parts of the correspondence..

……… 

With regard to the late Ada Betty PARRY, I can find no record of her being buried in Charlton Kings Cemetery and the grave section and number you have provided, was buried in and purchased in 1914, by a family in the name of Ruck.  I have checked the records for 1917 and the records state, that there were no burials between May and September of that year.  Unfortunately, Cheltenham Borough Council, inherited the cemetery from Charlton Kings Parish Council back in the 1970’s, so we have no idea whether there has been a clerical error, or whether there was some reason as to why certain burials were not recorded.  We have noticed that there seem to be a lot of burials in Block 4, which are classed as un-consecrated, yet they are next door to a grave, which is classed as consecrated ground.  We can only assume, that the graves were consecrated at the time of the burial and not as we have here, where there are Roman Catholic, Church of England and Non-Conformist sections.  There is nothing in any of the books we inherited from the Parish Council, to explain why certain actions were taken, but Ada Parry’s name is definitely not in the index for 1917.

Because Charlton Kings Cemetery and St Mary’s Churchyard are in such close proximity, it does seem to cause confusion and we do often have people looking for graves in the cemetery that are in the Churchyard and vice versa.  I am not saying that this is the case in this instance, however, it may explain some of the other queries we have had. 

I will be checking St.Mary's churchyard this weekend.

Regards,

Simon.

*** Close ups are in the dropbox folders. *****

**** Marjorie Griffiths was indeed buried in Cheltenham (Prestbury) Cemetery ******

Amy Georgina Despard's parents were George Belford Despard (died 1903 in Cheltenham) and Jane Letitia Despard (died 1914 in Leckhampton). George was the vicar of St. Lukes, Cheltenham but I cannot see that church had a churchyard. In 1901 the family were living at St. Lukes. George died in 1903. His widow moved to Undercliff, Leckhampton and it is there that she died. She is buried at St. Peters churchyard, Leckington. The newspaper reporting on Amy's death states that "For years past she had lived with other members of the family at Undercliff, Leckhampton". Amy's next of kin was Edith McMillan of 12 Nightingale Mansions, Clapham Common. This was her sister. From censuses :- 1871 at 188 Belsize Road, Hampstead, 1881 at 9 Brondesbury Road, Willesden, 1891 at St. Lukes Vicarage, Bath Road, Cheltenham, 1901 at St. Lukes Vicarage, Bath Road, Cheltenham and 1911 at Undercliff, Leckhampton, Cheltenham. Amy, and her sister, Helen, were born in Willesden. Three other siblings were born in Kensington. What I suppose I am saying is that her sister, Edith, as next of kin, could have buried Amy with her parents in Cheltenham or kept matters close to her home and siblings and had her buried in the Willesden/Kensington area. 

As for Ada Betty PARRY this site plainly mentions that she was buried in Charlton Kings churchyard, but, of course, the researcher could be wrong. I have a note from somewhere thats says that she was buried on the 2nd July 1917   :- https://www.flickr.com/photos/34476320@N02/44215504941

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Leave it with me Jim I will investigate further.

On 07/12/2018 at 11:55, Jim Strawbridge said:

Yes. she is the same one. I am not sure what point you are making, though. I was never in doubt. She died in France and is remembered on her father's grave marker and the local Helensburgh War Memorial. She was educated at Knole Hall High School, Bournemouth and that is why she is listed in the Bournemouth Book of Remembrance.

Hi working on a website for the Helensburgh war memorial and wondered about the possibility of a photo of Emily  anywhere

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 12:35, Jim Strawbridge said:

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Liverpool x 2 (Ford Cemetery and Kirkdale), Ormskirk, Rainhill, St. Helens

Who are you looking for here, Jim?

the Helensburgh war memorial project is going to be both a book and a website and we are collecting information of the 214 WW1 names on the memorial. Emily Cole is one of those names. We intend collecting as much detail, including photographic, where possible

Jim

⁷So with the shocking fa cup draw sending us to Portsmouth we are at bristol on the 18th jan Portsmouth 25th jan and charlton 1st feb. I know simon2 is on with Gloucestershire so for bristol will try Leicestershire and Coventry. Then Portsmouth will try Southampton and the 2 in Northants. Charlton I'll look at in a week or 2. We also in February go to Fulham and Reading. Post here Jim what you need from these and I'll see what I can do. 

Jim, Alverstoke is reasonably accessible from Portsmouth so I should be able to pick up your want there. I'll also be in Macedonia again in September,/October  but probably doubtful for Skopje as we rarely head that far North. We always visit the Armistice commemorations at Lembet Road, but I presume that you are fully covered there. 

I also aim to be in Scarborough in June for the Roses match if that is still outstanding. I don't follow your lists regularly, but can always manage locations around Portsmouth.

Keith

45 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Alverstoke is reasonably accessible from Portsmouth

Hi Keith,

I think you must be looking at an older list as I picked up the Alverstoke want a little while back (just across the road from the Anglesey Hotel).

However perhaps @Jim Strawbridge can confirm - I don't think he's added another.

sJ

Right, in order since my last posting.

Burgh84  -  Emily Helena COLE - sorry, I do not have a photograph of her.

PaulC78  -  Ainsdale - the name of Stella Rose BOUE-BLANDY, QAIMNS is on a memorial plaque in St. John's church, Ainsdale.

Liverpool, Ford Cemetery - Mary TAYLOR, munition worker, died 16th March 1918 and is buried in plot 107. If no headstone a photograph of the plot with a background landmark required. Also the grave of Ruth Elizabeth TAYLOR, munition worker, who died 11th January 1917 and seems to be buried in the same grave. (Probably is unmarked and a pauper's grave).

Liverpool, Kirkdale  -  Laura Marion GAILEY, VAD, died 24th March 1917, is buried in Kirkdale Cemetery, section Gen. 7, grave 1433.  Also Rebecca SOMERVILLE, VAD, died 16th February 1919, is buried in Kirkdale Cemetery, section 5, plot 1114. She is buried with husband, William Somerville, and his second wife, Frances Somerville. Also buried in Kirkdale Cemetery is Dorothy May WILLIAMSON, VAD, died 9th October 1918 but unfortunatly I have no plot number.

Ormskirk  -  Ellen PREECE, munition worker, died 23rd July 1918. Her name is on the Comrades Roll of Honour which used to be outside of the Comrades of the Great War Club on Southport Road, Ormskirk but was moved to Coronation Park, Ormskirk in 2012. Her name is believed to also be amongst names on two granite plinths installed on the approach to the memorial in 2016.

Rainhill  -  Sarah Jane WILSHAW, munition worker, died 1918, is buried in Rainhill Cemetery, plot 672. Buried under the Burials Laws Amendment Act 1880 so may have been a pauper's grave and without headstone. Photo of plot still required.

St. Helens  -  Kezia Esther McCONVILLE, VAD, died 6th December 1918 and is buried in grave 190, section 9, St. Helens Cemetery. Photo of grave required. I have a poor, low resolution one I can provide to help find it, if needed. Also Emily Ann WEATHERILT, VAD, died 3rd May 1917 and is buried with her parents in St. Helens Cemetery, section 12, grave 116.

bostonwayne  -  LEICESTERSHIRE, Barrow upon Soar, Leicester, Loughborough

Barrow upon Soar - Annie Elizabeth ADKIN, d. 31st Hanuary 1916 in buried in Barrow upon Soar cemetery. Grave required. I have a poor photo of it off the web (can't use, no copyright) but can provide it to you to help find it.

Leicester, Welford Road Cemetery - Edith Annie RAVEN, VAD, died 5th November 1918 is buried in grave 88, plot uncon A1. I have a poor web photo without copyright so can provide this to help find it.

Loughborough - Ethel Alice HIGGS, died 31st January 1916 is in grave 6/312 Loughborough Cemetery. I have a photograph from someone who did not have copyright. I can provide if it helps to find it. Similarly for Elsie PAGE and Mary Ann PAGE who died 31st January 1916 and are buried in 5 and 10 - 283, Loughborough Cemetery. Similarly for Georgina Martha SHIPMAN who died 31st January 1916 and are buried in grave 312, plot 4, Loughborough Cemetery.

Coventry  -  Gertrude HAINES - died May 1918 and is buried in Coventry Cemetery (plot currently unknown).

Southampton  -  Kate TRODD, VAD, died 1st March 1919. She is buried in grave 85, Q126, Southampton Old Cemetery.

Northampton, Deene  -  Florence Jane WARREN, VAD, died 9th November 1918. She is buried in Deene Cemetery (plot unknown).

Dallington  -  Eliza Gladys and Lily GAMMONS, died 19th October 1917 and are buried in Dallington cemetery. Lovely headstone can be found here but no copyright  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/190869917/eliza-gammons

Please remind me of Fulham and Reading closer to the date.

keithmroberts  -  seajane is right and Alverstoke has been done. My requirement list is higher up on this page. As for Macedonia my requirement is in Skopje.

Scarborough is the grave of Edith Elizabeth TAYLOR, VAD, who died 5th June 1917 and is buried in Dean Road Cemetery there.

We will do loughborough and if we have time barrow upon soar when we go to Bristol. Send me the photos you have please. For Portsmouth will do Dallington and Southampton 

I have emailed the Scarborough authorities 're the grave location, there is probably no headstone to judge by the friends of the cemetery, but I can definitely photograph the grave site in June.

Hi Jim still have Barrow upon Soar marston on Dove on cards but have pneumonia (deep joy) at the moment will endeavour to get these once up and running again and a very happy new year to you! 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

15 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

I have emailed the Scarborough authorities 're the grave location, there is probably no headstone to judge by the friends of the cemetery, but I can definitely photograph the grave site in June.

Scarborough are very helpful with burials. This is a map they sent me when looking for a soldier of the Yorkshire regiment. So I think they will send you a map

IMG_5550.jpg

7 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

We will do loughborough and if we have time barrow upon soar when we go to Bristol. Send me the photos you have please. For Portsmouth will do Dallington and Southampton 

Sent direct.

Hi Jim

I live in Scarborough and did not know of Edith Elizabeth Taylor until seeing your request on here. A search on the Friends of Dean Road and Manor Road Cemetery website under ww1 reveals that she is in Dean Road Cemetery section D and also some useful info on her. https://www.scarboroughcemeteries.co.uk/database/taylor-edith-elizabeth/

I will have a look try and try and get a photo for you next week.

I did see this grave in Manor Road if of any use to you 1224521054_EdithSellors.jpg.c694ccd00113c62cac9d70277c800ecc.jpg