Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 15/01/2020 at 10:49, harley1962 said:

Hi Jim

I did see this grave in Manor Road if of any use to you (Edith Pattie Sellors)

I rarely see a new one these days but this is one. Thank you. I have explored her background and two points come to mind. I cannot find a British Red Cross Society record card for her (not unusual) so cannot see if she nursed in an army regulated hospital in which case she could be eligible for CWGC status. The cemetery website suggests that her parents had emigrated to the USA. Not so. Edith was born in the same year as her mother died and it is safe to assume that she either died in childbirth or from complications thereof. That is why she was brought up by, firstly by her grandparents, then her spinster aunt.

Did both loughborough and Barrow upon soar. Will email you them all. There is a bit of confusion here as I have Alice Adkin and a Annie Adcock. A man in the cemetery showed us the plots. The wooden crosses are gone

20200118_083251.jpg

On 07/01/2020 at 22:22, Alisonmallen62 said:

Hi Jim still have Barrow upon Soar marston on Dove on cards but have pneumonia (deep joy) at the moment will endeavour to get these once up and running again and a very happy new year to you! 

Alison, bostonwayne has managed to get the Barrow upon Soar one so please strike it off your list, Jim

So Portsmouth next saturday will do Northampton dallington and Southampton old cemetery. Then the week after we are at Charlton. Will look this week for 2 cemeteries there. Finished loughborough but I was told about this plaque in loughborough. The photo is not mine though but do you have it Jim?

wmp0674_general_view_lcc.jpg

quote  -  So Portsmouth next saturday will do Northampton dallington and Southampton old cemetery. Then the week after we are at Charlton. Will look this week for 2 cemeteries there. Finished loughborough but I was told about this plaque in loughborough. The photo is not mine though but do you have it Jim?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you, Wayne. Yes, I already have a photo of the plaque. I am pleased that you do a little research on "my women" as you go along and I hope that you find it as interesting and rewarding as I do.

So for Northampton (Dallington) and Southampton old cemetery. The Gammons family are buried in Dallington cemetery, Harleston Road, Northampton. They were Eliza Gammons (aged 51), Gladys and Lily Gammons (aged 13). They died on the 20th October 1917 from a zeppelin raid. I have a photograph (without copyrightholder's permission) off Find A Grave and it is a handsome, prominent gravemarker. Hopefully it will be a quick "in and out" for you.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/190869917/eliza-gammons

As for Southampton, Old Cemetery, I managed to take photographs there several years ago. Since then another has popped up being Kate Trodd, VAD, born 1899 and died 1st March 1919. She is buried in grave 85, section Q126.

11 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

What do you need from Manchester, Jim?

Just the one.

Olga Milne FISHER, VAD, died in 1920, aged 24, and is buried in grave 309, plot G consecrated, Southern Cemetery

Hi Jim,

Two photographs attached for Jane Stoker buried in Danby Wiske Churchyard, North Yorkshire.

1.  Headstone

2.  Headstone is on the left foreground.

Regards

Chris Ludlam

IMG_20200120_121245.jpg

IMG_20200120_121311.jpg

Right everything is set for this Saturdays trip to Portsmouth. The next trip is Charlton on the first of February. I've looked at your wants in the area and decided on the memorial in plaistow east london cemetery as it is the cemetery in newham where we have already been and didn't realise. The other cemetery is either mile end where you have 2 woman in plot r 1385. I have looked into this and I'm not sure the plot number is correct can you double check the plot please. I have emailed the cemetery to see if they can help. The other choice is plashet synagogue cemetery where you have Sarah Wolsky. I have looked into this and there are a lot of woman buried there have you got all the others buried there?

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Essex/PlashetUnitedSynagogue.html

On 23/01/2020 at 18:16, bostonwayne said:

Right everything is set for this Saturdays trip to Portsmouth. The next trip is Charlton on the first of February. I've looked at your wants in the area and decided on the memorial in plaistow east london cemetery as it is the cemetery in newham where we have already been and didn't realise. The other cemetery is either mile end where you have 2 woman in plot r 1385. I have looked into this and I'm not sure the plot number is correct can you double check the plot please. I have emailed the cemetery to see if they can help. The other choice is plashet synagogue cemetery where you have Sarah Wolsky. I have looked into this and there are a lot of woman buried there have you got all the others buried there?

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Essex/PlashetUnitedSynagogue.html

My East London Cemetery requirements are listed in my post #2376 (above). I am assuming that they were buried under the memorial stone but have no evidence of that as yet.

The two at Mile End are in the City of London and Tower Hamlets cemetery. This is grandmother (Mary Ann Florence Mitchell, aged 49) and grand-daughter, (Florence Mitchell, aged 2). I can confirm that they are in plot R.1385. The burial records are here (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/61263/47180_550567-00330?pid=232486&backurl=https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc%3DkQJ572%26_phstart%3DsuccessSource%26usePUBJs%3Dtrue%26indiv%3D1%26dbid%3D61263%26gsfn%3DFlorence%26gsln%3DMitchell%26gsfn_x%3D1%26gsln_x%3D1%26cp%3D0%26new%3D1%26rank%3D1%26uidh%3Dtb4%26redir%3Dfalse%26msT%3D1%26gss%3Dangs-d%26pcat%3D34%26fh%3D1%26h%3D232486%26recoff%3D%26ml_rpos%3D2%26queryId%3D2f20048983ce0a1a676c8ad9b37e0eda&treeid=&personid=&hintid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=kQJ572&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true) if you have access to Ancestry.

Plashet Cemetery is a Jewish one and if I recall correctly access is possible but it might need to be by arrangement. In the past there may have been some vandalism so they keep the cemetery locked to keep some control over it. I can confirm that whilst I had seven others in the cemetery I have photographs of those. Sarah Wolsky (aged 15, section P, row 2, plot 12) is a fairly new one to me.

What's your dunblane graves your missing?

18 hours ago, Asqnscottishhorse said:

What's your dunblane graves your missing?

Grace Ann Stewart Sharp, QMAAC, died 2nd March 1918 (aged 19) and is buried in lair 8, tier 80, Dunblane Cathedral burial ground. One of my regular photographers visited to find that the grave was unmarked. I was advised in January 2019 that a CWGC headstone would be placed over her grave on the 13th November 2019. As it should now be there I would like a reasonable high resolution photograph of it. 

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Charlton on Saturday is sorted. Next will be Fulham on the 15th February. I've had a look and the possibles are Brompton Fulham hampstead highgate kensal green Kensington wandsworth and willesden. List this and I'll chose a couple to do 

21 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Charlton on Saturday is sorted. Next will be Fulham on the 15th February. I've had a look and the possibles are Brompton Fulham hampstead highgate kensal green Kensington wandsworth and willesden. List this and I'll chose a couple to do 

BROMPTON

Brompton Cemetery - May FAIRS, died 26th May 1915, aged 35. Plot number not yet discovered. Also Camma WALFORD, nurse, died 15th May 1917, aged 33. Plot number not yet discovered.

FULHAM

Fukham Old Cemetery - Madeline Grace TITLEY, died 3rd August 1918, aged 34 is buried in plot 12, row R, grave 8.

HAMPSTEAD

Hampstead Cemetery (Camden) - Mabel HARDIE, Scottish Women's Hospital, died 12th July 1916, aged 50. Plot number not yet discovered. Also Phyllis Mary PAINE, VAD, aged 32, died 1919. Plot number not yet discovered. Also Esther SEYMOUR, Mercantile Marine, died 27th February 1916, aged 50ish, buried section G8, plot 41. It's on Find A Grave and has a CWGC headstone.

HIGHGATE

Highgate Cemetery - B.J. BRUCE, VAD, possible Beatrix BRUCE, VAD, died 1914, aged 19. Plot number not yet discovered. Also Ethel Alice PHILLIPS, WRAF, died 3rd March 1919 and is buried in 44.41332 (whatever that means). The CWGC has chosen to mark her on a screen wall there (I have that) which suggests that the grave may be unmarked. If memory serves me right the cemetery is actually a private one and they may charge for access in view of many celebrities (Karl Marx, etc), amongst them and private tours that they conduct. It is possible that the CWGC screen wall is in a part of the cemetery where there is common access and the grave is not.

KENSAL GREEN

Kensal Green Cemetery - Ellen BROWN, VAD, died 29th October 1921, aged 39 is buried in plot 47276. Also Vivyan BURY, Scottish Relief Fund, died 16th August 1915, aged 29. She is buried in plot 44802. Also Edith CUTHELL, VAD, died 24th November 1918, aged 70ish, is buried in plot 27413. Also Oona Grave GROGAN, VAD, died 29th November 1920, aged 32. She is buried in plot 46999. Also Margaret Alice Hamilton HILL, VAD, died June 1915, aged 35 and is buried in plot 37023. Nan M.V. MORRISON, nurse, died 18th October 1918 is buried there but plot reference (now lost to me) did not tie up with cemetery plan. There was a large recumbent cross that may have been laid across her grave but face down so as not to be readable. Also Lucia S. WILLIS, nurse, died 1st Q. 1918, aged 31 but plot number not yet discovered.

WANDSWORTH

Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery 0 Dorothy R. CLARKSON, QMAAC, died 29th January 1919, aged 26. She is commemorated by CWGC on a screen wall (I have that one) but she is actually buried in plot B.20.385. Her grave may be unmarked. The same for Alice FLINTOFF, TFNS, died 9th November 1918, aged 34, and is buried in plot G.B., 18.146 (may be unmarked).

WILLESDEN

Willesden New Cemetery - Dorothy Maud Mary CROWTHER, munition worker, died 2nd May 1918, aged 16 and buried in grave A.C.60. A descendant thinks that she is actually in Acton Cemetery (same plot number) and I don't know if Willesden New Cemetery and Acton Cemetery are one and the same. Find A Grave has her as Acton Cemetery but the entry may have been put on by the descendant.

We'll do Fulham and I've asked friends of Brompton cemetery for help with the plots if not will do kensal green. Willesden and acton are 2 separate cemeteries. Higate cemetery has a east cemetery where you have to pay to go in but you are free to wander. The west cemetery however is guided tours only and you cannot go anywhere by yourself. So problematic. George Michael is buried in the west but the tour doesn't go to his grave. 

Brompton cemetery has Camma Walford plot 3E/12/20.9 and May Fairs AJ/233/107.9  I'm not sure what these plots mean but I can see from the map they sent area 3E and AJ so its somewhere to start 

GSDOImage.jpeg-4.jpg