Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

19 hours ago, seaJane said:

What are your Swanscombe and Gillingham, Kent requirements? I *may* be able to stop by when visiting a friend in the New Year.

Hello Jane,

SWANSCOMBE - Kate WOOD, VAD, died 12th October 1918 and is buried in St/ Peter and St. Paul churchyard, Swanscombe.

GILLINGHAM - I think this one may have been satisfied so I am taking it off my list.

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

The Llandough Baptist Church with the memorial is given as at Llandough, Vale of Glamorgan, South Glamorgan, CF71 7LX. This is South of Cowbridge and some way to the west of Cardiff.

This website :- https://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/51149

No good then. Although we are going to swansea on the 28 December. To get to cardiff we will be coming down m5 from Birmingham then m50 to newport and m4 to Cardiff. We will do the 1 in cardiff and 1 more somewhere along that route 

10 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Robert. Thank you.

BURLEY IN WHARFDALE - Joanna Elizabeth HOPPER-GREENWOOD, QAIMNS (not a CWGC recorded casualty) died 11th April 1921. She is buried in St. Mary's Churchyard, Burley in Wharfdale.

COLTON - Ethel Agnes JACKSON, munition worker, died 5th December 1916 is remembered on a Roll of Honour in Colton Methodist Church. On the same Roll is the name of Mary Amelia SCHOFIELD, munition worker, who died in the same incident as Ethel.

DANBY WISKE - Jane STOKER was killed by a shell on the 16th December 1914 during the Hartlepool bombardment. She is buried in Danby Wiske parich churchyard.

HALIFAX - Annie Elizabeth KERSHAW, VAD, died 6th June 1919. She is buried in plot 82N, St. Matthew's Cemetery, Lightcliffe, Halifax.

INGLETON - Margaret BARKER, munition worker, died 18th December 1916 and is buried in Ingleton Cemetery.

LOW MOOR - Martha BRIGGS died 21st August 1916. She is buried in grave 83, row M30, St. Mark's Churchyard, Low Moor. Parents and another child are buried in the same grave.

SKIPTON - Hilda MOORBY, VAD, died 8th October 1918. She is buried in grave 1454, section C, Waltonwrays Cemetery, Skipton.

STAITHES - Maud ARMSTRONG, munition worker, died 1917. Her name is said to be on the Staithes War Memorial.

Thanks Jim,

I shall see what I can do with these over the coming months.

Robert

Evening Jim,

First three attached.

I have loaded a folder for each lady in dropbox as before with all the photos for each. I will PM the login details.

Gladys Giller - her grave is the headstone lying flat. Unable to read as face down but is was confirmed by the cemetery that it is the one.

DSC_3030.JPG

Lastly

Jessie Dearmer

DSC_3036.JPG

Jim. I have four CWGC headstone photos on my camera from Heywood cemetery (Rochdale) taken for a mate of mine, any use to you ? you may already have them - BURT/ TURNER/ BURKE/ HUTCHINSON.    Ralph.

2 hours ago, ralphjd said:

Jim. I have four CWGC headstone photos on my camera from Heywood cemetery (Rochdale) taken for a mate of mine, any use to you ? you may already have them - BURT/ TURNER/ BURKE/ HUTCHINSON.    Ralph.

Thank you for the offer but my project relates just to WW1 female casualties.

Are you in facebook? I've seen a page called inspirational woman of ww1. Lots of good stuff on there. Such as

Nurse Hermione Agneta Lediard, V.A.D. (1892-1918) An almost forgotten casualty of the 1914-1918 war With thanks to Liz Waller for her post on Cemeteries & Memorials of the Great War Facebook Group via Cleator Moor World War 1 Project https://www.facebook.com/moorWW1/?hc_location=ufi And thanks to Jurgen Verhulst for tagging me in the post. In Crosthwaite churchyard on the outskirts of Keswick, Cumbria in the UK’s Lake District, is the memorial to a WW1 VAD nurse (Voluntary Aid Detachement) who died of septicaemia contracted while on duty at the war hospital at Carlisle. The hospital was under the directorship of Hermione’s father, Dr Henry Ambrose Lediard. Hermione died on 3rd November 1918 and her funeral service was conducted by Canon Herdwicke Rawnsley, former Vicar of Crosthwaite church, who had also been Chaplain to King George V and Chaplain to the Border Regiment. Strangely, Nurse Lediard is not an 'official' casualty of the war and is not listed or commemorated by the War Graves Commission, even though there are many casualties who were nurses during the First World War. The case for her inclusion as an official casualty has put to the Commission several times for almost 100 years. Yet on each occasion the submission has been turned down. An 'official' Imperial War Museum photograph of Nurse Hermione Lediard even states that the septicaemia that caused her death was due to her wartime service as a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse. Apparently this is still not regarded as a sufficient primary source of evidence. In Carlisle Cathedral there is a memorial to her wartime service and her sacrifice. In 1921 an altar frontal was dedicated to her memory by the Cathedral Dean and it continues to be used on the cathedral's High Altar for major festivals. The non-commemoration of Nurse Hermione Lediard shows how difficult it can be to be to get the War Graves Commission to add a casualty to its database.

78138132_1212234202319711_6678123427393437696_o.jpg

78388965_1212234018986396_349641510767034368_n.jpg

And 

76178149_1196238320585966_8766104654309228544_n.jpg

These are from facebook and not my photos 

2 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Are you in facebook? I've seen a page called inspirational woman of ww1. Lots of good stuff on there. Such as

Yes, I am part of that group and have seen/contributed to it.

I dont know if you'll see this in time jim but were off to cardiff soon and cant seem to find saltmead gospel hall. We are going to try saltmead Presbyterian church. Will check back on here when were in cardiff so in the meantime if you can find a postcode post it here. Or anyone who may be reading this 

8 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I dont know if you'll see this in time jim but were off to cardiff soon and cant seem to find saltmead gospel hall. We are going to try saltmead Presbyterian church. Will check back on here when were in cardiff so in the meantime if you can find a postcode post it here. Or anyone who may be reading this 

You are probably on the right track. Found a book on line that states "One of several memorial plaques to the dead of World War I in Grangetown is in the Saltmead Gospel Hall in Maitland Place. The hall is a small, modern chapel, which replaced a much larger building, but the plaque is the original one from the early 1920s". Saltmead Presbyterian Church is at 2 Maitland Place. The road is not long and Google Earth does not show anywhere else where it could be. It is next to Dommar Guest House. Postcode is CF11 6TB. Contact name is Mr I.A. Lewis  02920 253364.Saltmead Presbyterian Church, Maitland Place, Cardiff

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

No joy I'm afraid. We will try on the way home as it's less than a mile from Cardiff's ground. Next up though is millwall on the 21st so is there 2 near there 

21 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

No joy I'm afraid. We will try on the way home as it's less than a mile from Cardiff's ground. Next up though is millwall on the 21st so is there 2 near there 

Booger.   Thanks for trying.

So I need 2 to look for near the east end of London and do you know about the family grave of dorothy Snodin. Also there is another family grave died today 8th December 1918 Winifred Mary Steele. Do you need this 1

IMG_20191209_075137.jpg

Wayne, Winifred Steele I have and is a favourite of mine, not least because I have her medals. The other one is not Dorothy Snodin but Dorothy Snodin Castle. The grave marker commemorates the family then lists her without mentioning the surname. I think that she was not military but a nurse who happened to serve throughout the war, I have added her to my listing anyway.

Millwall play in Bermondsey which is south east London. If I recall correctly you generally approach that area via Dartford. A couple of possibilities are Camberwell and Brockley. The Camberwell ones are air-raid casualties and these often do not have grave markers but views of the plots are ok.

CAMBERWELL, OLD CEMETERY

Martha AVERY, died 20/10/17 in an air-raid. Known to be buried in this cemetery.

Ivy Mabel Makemson BRAME, died 20/10/17 and is buried in grave 25078

Lydia Elizabeth GIBSON, munition worker, died October 1916 and is known to be buried in this cemetery.

The GLASS family (Alice Maud GLASS, Emily Louise GLASS, Emma Mary GLASS and Stephen John GLASS) all died in an air-raid on the 20/10/17. They are buried in grave 85/25077.

Mary Ann LYNCH died in a zeppelin raid on the 19th May 1918 together with her son. She is buried in square 85, grave 25078.

Jessie MARTIN died in a zeppelin raid on the 9th October 1917. She is buried in grave 20578.

As you can see, a number of these are buried in the same grave, 25078. The Glass family are in 25077 so I am hoping that the cemetery authority made graves in some sort of date order that will find those I have been unable to provide a grave position for. I can but hope. There is a memorial in Camberwell, Old Cemetery, erected in memory of those killed in the zepellin raids. I do have a photograph of that. It just might be that this was erected on top of a mass grave to the victims - I do not know. Perhaps there is an inscription on it that will say so if you find the memorial please have a look and I can happily accept another photograph of it.

In case Camberwell is not covenient I have one at Brockley.

LEWISHAM, BROCKLEY CEMETERY Florence Ethel SLADE died in an air-raid on the 7th September 1915 and is buried in plot A. 1806.

If I am miles out on these (literally) please let me know.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

I will be coming via the M11 so the best possibilities will be east ham west ham havering mile end newham popular and plastow. List them and I will choose 2. As for Dorothy Castle her memorial is in uttoxeter road cemetery Derby. Winifred Steele's is in Nottingham road cemetery derby.

Camberwell Old Cemetery has been on my "to visit" list for a while.  Like most large cemeteries it needs a bit of forward planning so as to avoid wandering in ever decreasing circles!

This link is to a PDF from Southwark Council.  It's for a 2012 Management Plan.  On page 48 of the PDF (page numbered 43 in the document) it does have a plan of the cemetery with plot overlays.  It would suggest that Plot 85 is just to the right of the main entrance on Forest Hill Road.  There is a mention of the memorial to the Zeppelin raid victims earlier in the document.

Hope this might be of use.

Ian

17 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I will be coming via the M11 so the best possibilities will be east ham west ham havering mile end newham popular and plastow. List them and I will choose

EAST HAM

Rose Harriett ABBOTT, munition worker, died 9th August 1917 and is buried in St. Mary Magdalene churchyard.

Mary Ann BETTS, died 19th January 1917 in an explosion and id buried in St. Mary Magdalene churchyard.

Ellen Clara BOYCE, munition worker, died 19th January 1917 and is buried in grave 11529, square 11, Woodgrange Park Cemetery.

Mary Ann FOLEY, munition worker, died 9th August 1917 and is buried in St. Mary Magdalene Cemetery.

Martha GURRY, munition worker, died 9th August 1917 and is buried in East Ham Cemetery.

Sarah J. HORNSEY, VAD, died 14th February 1920 and is buried in St. Mary Magdalene Cemetery.

Sarah A. KING, munition worker, died 9th August 1917 and is buried in East Ham Cemetery.

Ellen Jane WEBB, munition worker, died 9th August 1917 and is buried in St. Mary Magdalene churchyard.

Sarah WOLSKY, died 13th June 1917 and is buried in plot 12, row 2, section P, Plashet United Synagogue Cemetery. Access may be restricted or by appointment.

WEST HAM

Rose A. PATRICK and Ruby Lilian PATRICK, both children, and two other of the PATRICK family (William and Royden Stanley) died in an air-raid 19th January 1917 and are buried in West Ham Cemetery.

Catherine SMITH died from an explosion 19th January 1917 and is buried in West Ham Cemetery. She was aged 16.

Annie STANFORD (aged 3) and Ivy Victoria STANFORD (aged 9 months) died from an explosion on the 13th June 1917. They are buried in West Ham Cemetery.

HAVERING

Kathleen Mary Clayton SMITH, Women's Forage Corps, died November 1918 and is buried in Havering (Romford Cemetery).

MILE END

Mary Ann Florence MITCHELL and her daughter, Florence MITCHELL died in an air-raid in June 1917. They are buried in grave R.1385, City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery, Mile End.

NEWHAM

Vera Margaret CLAYSON, aged 4, died in an air-raid on the 13th June 1917 on her school and is buried in East London Cemetery, Newham. I have a photograph of her grave but have not been able to get permission from the copyright holder. Believed all buried together under a memorial. Can provide a copy of it if needed as it would help finding it (18 names including.

Alice Maud CROSS - the same as for Clayson.

Florence Lilian WOODS - the same as for Clayson.

Rose MARTIN - the same as for Clayson.

Elizabeth TAYLOR - the same as for Clayson.

Rose A. TUFFIN - the same as for Clayson.

Florence Lilian WOODS - the same as for Clayson.

There is a marble memorial in memory of staff casualties from Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum but now in Newham General Hospital, St. Andrew's Wing, Plaistow. The names of Nellie CLARK, Helen Charlotte HETTERLEY and Kate Rosina STURT are amongst the seven names on it.

Lilian Mary JENKINSON, VAD, buried 1st January 1916 is buried in Manor Park Cemetery, Newham.

POPLAR

Sylvia Mabel ADAMS and Sylvia Grace ADAMS and other members of her family (Mary Ann POTTER) died in an air-raid 23rd September 1916. The funeral service took place at the Church of St. Mary and St. Joseph, Poplar but unknown if there is a churchyard there or if they were buried elsewhere.

PLAISTOW

Lilian Blanche DAVEY, died from an explosion 19th January 1917. She is buried in East London Cemetery.

Charlotte Jemima HISCOCK, as for Davey above.

Florence Ada (Agnes) JENNINGS, as for Davey above.

May Gertrude JENNINGS, as for Davey above.

Eliza LETSON, as for Davey above.

Elenor Frances Jane NOAKES, as for Davey above.

Jane Sophia VILLARS, as for Davey above.

Elsie Alice VASS, as for Davey above.

Mary Jane VASS, as for Davey above.

I will try newham. I see online that Grace Jones and John Brennan have a separate grave in the cemetery. The others are in a mass grave. Louise Annie Acampora is buried in St. Patrick's Roman catholic cemetery leytonstone. I dont know if you've seen these photos so I'll put them here but they are not mine 

48826540_136701176637.jpg

48826469_126725920528.jpg

48826345_1499197061.jpg