Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

21 hours ago, stevem49 said:

Jim

I have been in contact with Coventry Bereavement services. They gave me all the information. There is no record of a headstone or other marker listed for the family. 

If you still want a photo of the grassed area, I can get it. Not sure whether that is useful or not to you.  Hopefully the information above will help.

Steve

Steve, Thank you. I am hoping that my end product will enable descendants to visit their ancestor's graves (and find them). So I am taking "grassed areas" and should be grateful if you would take a photograph of this one. If it can include an identifiable feature in it so much the better. The father and brother's deaths seem a little too early in 1940 to have been due to the blitz on Coventry but it did cross my mind as a possibility.

On 19/12/2020 at 09:22, Jim Strawbridge said:

Steve, Thank you. I am hoping that my end product will enable descendants to visit their ancestor's graves (and find them). So I am taking "grassed areas" and should be grateful if you would take a photograph of this one. If it can include an identifiable feature in it so much the better. The father and brother's deaths seem a little too early in 1940 to have been due to the blitz on Coventry but it did cross my mind as a possibility.

As per my email, will do in New Year.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to drive over to London Road Cemetery today. Armed with the info from the Council. The ref they gave me was not on any of the graves, so decided to look for the names of people who might have been nearby.  I found one of the names and just glanced around, for other names. Looked down at one grave and it had Haines!, low and behold there was Gertrude and her family. The grave is in a sorry state although I did notice that work was being done in the cemetery, so hopefully it will be repaired one day. Her brothers headstone is at the opposite end of the grave to hers. 

Do you want me to put all photos on thread or send via message. Ten in total.

Steve

20201228_110850.jpg

20201228_110928.jpg

On 18/12/2020 at 11:22, stevem49 said:

Jim

I have been in contact with Coventry Bereavement services. They gave me all the information. There is no record of a headstone or other marker listed for the family. 

If you still want a photo of the grassed area, I can get it. Not sure whether that is useful or not to you.  Hopefully the information above will help.

Steve

So much for Coventry Bereavement Services advising that there is no headstone. Luckily you agreed to photograph the green plot and finding one. Thank you, Steve, photographs safely received.

Jim Strawbridge

Bit spooky for me !!

Edited by Jim Strawbridge
  • 2 weeks later...
Kenny.bell

Hello Jim

I see you have a requirement in Winster, Cumbria showing as still outstanding.

However, if this is for Louise M Holme, I sent you the pictures for this requirement on or about Aug 19th last year.

Should you need me to send again, I can do so.

Kind regards

Kenny 

Jim Strawbridge
4 hours ago, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

I see you have a requirement in Winster, Cumbria showing as still outstanding.

However, if this is for Louise M Holme, I sent you the pictures for this requirement on or about Aug 19th last year.

Should you need me to send again, I can do so.

Kind regards

Kenny 

Sorry, Kenny. I forgot to cross it off my wants list.

One photo of Mrs C Hillary buried in Ste Marie Cemetery in Le Havre, plot Div. 64. VII. C. 2

1627084651_HILLARYC..jpg.a20c5470336108871a628b896ffe6222.jpg

I have also been sent hi-res photos of 8 other women buried there.

Div. 64. VIII. N. 2. M Ferguson

Div. 62. IV. B. 1. F Gooding

Div. 64. VII. C. 1. L Harrington

Div. 64. VII. A. 2. N M Maunder

Div. 19. B. 10. P A Pearse

Div. 62. IV. E. 2. E E Tait

Div. 62. IV. G. 1. A M Whall

Div. 64. VIII. A. 1. J Williams

Let me know if you want the other photos too

Jim Strawbridge

Thank you, Temptage, for the offer. I have photographs of them all but the offer is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
bostonwayne

With tonight being the 105 th anniversary of a zeppelin raid on the black Country I thought I would post these photos that I have seen on twitter to double check you have them all. May they all R I P 

FB_IMG_1612084523958.jpg

FB_IMG_1612084555047.jpg

FB_IMG_1612084564293.jpg

FB_IMG_1612084585737.jpg

FB_IMG_1612084611951.jpg

FB_IMG_1612084643184.jpg

Jim Strawbridge

Wayne, In your travellings you kindly obtained the grave marker for Ethel Alice Higgs in Loughborough. I wouldn't expect you to remember it but it was certainly different to what it is now. It had an upright to it then. I cannot tell if that upright is now used as the horizontal across the top; it may, or it may not be. I cannot see a similarity between the two.                                                                                                                                   (copyright of photograph - BostonWayne)

HiggsEAfromWayneBywater.jpg

bostonwayne
7 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Wayne, In your travellings you kindly obtained the grave marker for Ethel Alice Higgs in Loughborough. I wouldn't expect you to remember it but it was certainly different to what it is now. It had an upright to it then. I cannot tell if that upright is now used as the horizontal across the top; it may, or it may not be. I cannot see a similarity between the two.                                                                                                                                   (copyright of photograph - BostonWayne)

HiggsEAfromWayneBywater.jpg

Yes it is the same grave. I can see the thy will be done on the horizontal bar on twitter which is the same as the vertical bar on your photo. Have you all the others then?

Jim Strawbridge

Ah, yes. I can just see the "Thy will be done" on the top of the crossbar. I should have paid more attention. I should have mentioned that I have seen all the others before but thank you for bringing them to my attention.

• 2 weeks later...
bostonwayne

Three woman named on a war memorial in Morley. Not my photo but do you know about it.

FB_IMG_1612817475650.jpg

Jim Strawbridge

bostonwayne.  Yes, I am aware of it and have it in my archive. The memorial is actually known as the Leeman Road Memorial which, strangely, is in Salisbury Road, York, Yorkshire. I don't know why it has been ascribed to Morley.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim. Whilst browsing my friends soldiers, are you aware of a photograph of a VAD in  Kirkdale Cemetery of Laura Maria GAILEY. ? 

Jim Strawbridge
21 hours ago, ralphjd said:

Jim. Whilst browsing my friends soldiers, are you aware of a photograph of a VAD in  Kirkdale Cemetery of Laura Maria GAILEY. ? 

It is probably one of the photographs used for the Gale/IWM exhibition of some years back. Post-war the IWM sought from families a photograph of their deceased loved ones so as to have a lasting record. Many families obliged. Nearly every photograph that one finds on the internet of a WW1 female casualty is one of these. They are distinguishable through being mounted on card and below the photograph the name is hand-written in black script. I made a point of taking an image of all of them at the time and will in due course discuss with the IWM if I may use them as part of my project. 

OK Jim. Just thought you may have not been aware of it. Stay safe. Ralph

• 3 weeks later...
Jim Strawbridge

Wayne, Hilda is/was buried in an unmarked grave in plot 287, section Q, Southern Cemetery, Manchester. I have a photograph of the unmarked plot. The stone that you have shown is new to me. It looks a bit short and fairly recent although a bit weather worn and suffering from the maintenance man's lawn mower. I wonder if it has been provided by a benefactor who wanted to see her memory commemorated. The wording is rather disappointing and not as I would have expected or hoped. Trench Field Nurse? What on earth is that? So far as I know she never set foot in France having nursed firstly in Meath Hospital, Dublin then at 2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester (otherwise know as Seymour Park Military Hospital?) where she died. And no dates either of birth or death. And one of her names should be Anna and not Ann. No mention that she was a Voluntary Aid Detachment nurse (B.R.C.S.). With the best of intentions, the providing of the stone is sloppy. It seems to be next to a path which makes me think that it is not over her grave as the plot photo that I have is nowhere near a path so far as I can see. Her name is in the CWGC UK Book of Remembrance so it is hoped that they are preparing a more suitable headstone.

bostonwayne

The lovely lady who took the photo says plot Q c e 287. There is another Q which is the roman Catholic one. I will try to go as soon as I can 

received_775619473339318.jpeg

received_286579803094854.jpeg