Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 01/12/2021 at 00:42, Jim Strawbridge said:

Emma GODFRAY        -        died 7th April 1915, buried plot 1723, Almorah cemetery, St. Helier, aged 32

Jim,

Paid a visit to Almorah Cemetery today.  Had to work out whether the grave reference was Northings/Eastings or vice versa!  I found the Godfray grave with two references to an Emma.  The light was bad and the inscription hard to read. I’ll have to go back for a better photo and take a toothbrush! In the meantime, here’s a poor photo.

0C3C1407-0CF2-42BC-86DA-AADBB8F4B71C.jpeg

Nutting. Thank you. Obviously a family plot. I can make out Mary Nant Godfray (sister), Thomas Godfray (her father) and with a bit of squinting, Emma Susan Jarvis. I am guessing that is her mother under her maiden name. I need to do a bit more research here. Nice to see the pots, though, which means that someone is remembering the family.

23 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

We are going to Preston next Saturday. I might of asked before but what are your Lancashire requirements and I'll see what I can do 

LANCASHIRE REQUIREMENTS - Ainsdale, Bolton, Healey, Manchester, Turton, Tyldesley

Ainsdale   -  The name of Stella Rose Boue-Blandy is on a memorial in St. Johns Church, Ainsdale.

Bolton   -   Ellen Allison, aged 32. Said to be buried in Tonge cemetery but a search has not found her. An outside chance that she was buried in Dean parish cemetery. She died with her husband, James, were killed in a zeppelin raid. It is possible that their grave is unmarked. May be one to pass on by as it could be time consuming.

Healey   -   Effie Rosa Downes GUNTON, VAD, died March 1917. She is buried in Christ Church churchyard, Healey, Rochdale.

Manchester   -   Olga Milne FISHER, VAD, died 1920. She is buried in grave 309, plot G consecrated, Souther cemetery, Manchester.

Turton   -   Mary Jane MELLODY, VAD, died 15th January 1920, aged 46. She is buried in plot 65, St. Annes churchyard, Turton.

Tyldesley   -   Mary Alice MARSH, VAD, died 27th February 1919, aged 33. Buried grave 287, row CE, plot C, Tyldesley cemetery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2021 at 11:52, Jim Strawbridge said:

Nutting. Thank you. Obviously a family plot. I can make out Mary Nant Godfray (sister), Thomas Godfray (her father) and with a bit of squinting, Emma Susan Jarvis. I am guessing that is her mother under her maiden name. I need to do a bit more research here. Nice to see the pots, though, which means that someone is remembering the family.

Evening Jim,

I have been back to Almorah cemetery on a better day.  The gravestone reads (from the top):

EMMA DAUGHTER OF
THOMAS AND EMMA GODFRAY
WHO FELL ASLEEP APRIL 7TH 1915
AGED 32 YEARS

Better photos attached.

Cheers,
Nigel

7D29A636-5831-450A-94AD-8AD0C48E9F1B.jpeg

2C89D160-5933-4CA5-9AFE-CCACD9B380A3.jpeg

C38050D8-2CE3-4699-BCEB-299138A99950.jpeg

I never got to any cemeteries on Saturday due to the 3 network being down. I was unable to use maps at all I'm afraid. Now for news the CWGC are asking for relatives of Francis Emma Shortt as she is to have a new headstone. The headstone for Annie Fletcher has been placed in Chesterfield. I will photograph it as soon as I can. Nottingham is my next trip on the 3rd January who do you need there? 

Nutting (Nigel). Thank you for the photographs which is much appreciated. Emma Godfray was a dress-maker by profession. As a Voluntary Aid Detachment member she was a garment maker in the stores.

13 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I never got to any cemeteries on Saturday due to the 3 network being down. I was unable to use maps at all I'm afraid. Now for news the CWGC are asking for relatives of Francis Emma Shortt as she is to have a new headstone. The headstone for Annie Fletcher has been placed in Chesterfield. I will photograph it as soon as I can. Nottingham is my next trip on the 3rd January who do you need there? 

I am a little surprised if Annie Fletcher is getting a CWGC headstone as she already has a grave marker which seems adequate. I thought that they only provided one when the grave was unmarked or the existing marker was too worn to read. There should be plenty of descendants of the Shortt family as she had five siblings. There are two families that include her on Ancestry so it should be easy to find some.

NOTTINGHAM

Church (Rock) cemetery - Annie BENSON, munition worker, died 1st July 1918, aged 64, is buried in plot 9796.

Nottingham General cemetery - Gladys May BUCKLEY, munition worker, died 1stQ 1917, aged 19 is buried in plot O/1187.

Nottingham General cemetery - Florence Kate CARTER, munition worker, died 1917, aged 20. Burial plot unknown but likely to be near to Buckley's (above).

Nottingham General cemetery - Clara Jane KING, VAD, died 1920, aged 59. Burial plot unknown.

Nottingham General cemetery - Constance Louise SYLVESTER, munition worker, died 1916 aged 24. Burial plot unknown

ATTENBOROUGH

There is a memorial on a mass grave in Attenborough cemetery to some who died in the Chilwell explosion of 1st July 1918 and are interred there.

Jim,

No. 2, Emily AMY née Fauvel. I was initially confused by the hedge in the background of the photo on Findagrave, until I realised that it was on the other side of the road!  I must have walked past that grave a dozen times!

BCC08988-B6A1-411C-9D54-B07963D75469.jpeg.acef148958de897e3b7317264bd542bd.jpegThe front of the grave is marked to her husband A. P. Amy and she is commemorated on the side. 

EMILY FAUVEL 
Widow of A P Amy
January 17th 1917
Aged 66
In her 66th year

5B531058-7FCC-4922-AB19-93DD7E9B83FD.jpeg

37F9DD4C-7C1E-43A5-83B5-186DCA7A372E.jpeg

We're off to Nottingham on Monday starting in Rock cemetery. I have a poor photograph of a family grave of Winifred Maud Brown to find and am trying to narrow down the search. Do you know her mother's name or date of death? I know her father was Arthur do you know his date of death as there are several Arthur's in rock cemetery as you could imagine

Winifred maud brown .jpg

This is what I have :-

Remarks: Winifred was born in the third quarter 1887 in the Nottingham registration district. The 1891 census finds the family living at 6 Vickers Street, Nottingham. Arthur Brown (b. 1852 in Nottingham, d. 13th April 1935 in Nottingham) is a civil engineer (M.Inst. CE) working for Nottingham Borough Council married to Caroline Brown (nee Goodwin, b. 1854 in Nottingham, d. 17th February 1919 in Nottingham). They have four children (all born in Nottingham) being Arthur Goodwin Brown (b. 2nd January 1878, m. Marguerite Jane Smart in Nottingham in 1905, three children, d. 21st April 1947 in Downham, Norfolk), Ernest Victor Brown (b. 1880), Ethel Carrie Brown (b. 1883 in Nottingham) and Winifred M. Brown (b. 1888). The 1901 census finds the family living at “Glenthome,” 3,Lucknow Avenue, Nottingham. Arthur and Caroline are there with three children being Arthur (now an assistant civil engineer), Ernest (now a solicitor’s clerk) and Winifred. Winifred has yet to be found in the 1911 census. As Winifred Brown she was engaged by the British Red Cross Society (Notts 32/V.A.D.) on the 12th July 1915 for nursing duties. She was placed to the Military Hospital, Bagthorpe, Nottinghamshire and was transferred to Egypt on the 17th December 1917. She died on route. Winifred drowned off Alexandria when H.M.Hospital Ship Osmanieh struck a mine. In total eight nurses were lost the others being Catherine Ball, Gertrude Bytheway, Una Marguerite Duncanson, Nellie Hawley, Lilian Midwood, Margaret Dorothy Roberts and Hermione Angela Rogers. She had been awarded one scarlet stripe by the B.R.C.S. Her headstone bears the personal inscription “Tell England ye that pass this way she who rests here died content”. A family grave in Church Rock Cemetery, Nottingham has a memorial on the marker that reads :- "In proud and loving memory of Winifred Maud Brown (V.A.D. 32nd Notts) younger daughter of Mr and Mrs Arthur Brown, who was drowned on the 31st Decr 1917, (through the sinking of S.S. "Osmanieh" near Alexandria by enemy submarine,) when going to a military hospital in Egypt. She was buried in the Hadra Military Cemetery, Alexandria". CWGC. YMP5 shows as Winifred Brown. ODGW

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

About time for an update.  I am working on French female casualties at present.

UNITED KINGDOM

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CHANNEL ISLANDS, Jersey (St. Saviour)

CHESHIRE, Chester, Hatherlow

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf

DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Newport, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Lydney,

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane, Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Goudhurst, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bolton, Healey, Manchester, Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon, Monmouth

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge, Jesmond

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Longdon, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Foxearth, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Camberwell, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

YORKSHIRE, Bridlington, Colton, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Malton, Redcar, Sheffield, Staithes

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes, Ghent, Poperinghe
CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (Brigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arcachon, Arles, Arras, Bergerac, Béziers, Calais, Catillon (Nord), Chaumard (Nievre), Chaumont, Châlons-en-Champagne, Cherbourg-Octeville (Manche), Choloy-Ménillot, Combres sous les Cotes (Meuse), Compiègne, Cosnes-et-Romain, Courgent (Yveslines), Dennevy (Saône-et-Loire), Dompierre (Oise), Dugny-sur-Meuse, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Épinay-sur-Orge (Isle de France), Escaudœuvres (Nord), Étain (Meuse), Fère-Champenoise, Garennes-sur-Eure, Gironde, Gorges (Loire-Atlantique), Gravelines, Gray (Haute-Saône), (Hemévez (Normandy),Ivry-sur-Seine, Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris), Jarville, Le Cateau-Cambrésis (Nord), La Fare-les-Oliviers  (Bouches-du-Rhône department), La Ferrière (Côtes-d'Armor), Lamalou, L'Isle-en-Rigault (Meuse), Longuyon (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Lyon, Melun, Menton, Meximieux, Montendre (Charente-Maritime), Montmartre (Paris), Montourtier (Mayenne), Moosch (Haut-Rhin), Mouleydier (Dordogne), Mouzens (Dordogne), Nancy, Nogent-sur-Marne (Isle de France), Nomaine (Nord), Noyen-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe), Ornan (Doubs department), Paris (Montparnasse), Pau, Pierrefonds (Oise), Pompertuzat (Haute-Garonne), Préaux (Mayonne), Pys, Quemperven (Britanny), Quérénaing (Nord), Quiberon (Britanny), Recloses (Seine-et-Marne), Reims (Marne), Réméréville (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Rocabey (Ille-et-Vilaine), Rouen ((Saint-Maritime), Saint Amand les Aux, Saint-Germer-de-Fly (Oise), Saint Quentin (Aisne), Saint-Jean-le-Priche (Saône-et-Loire), Saint-Just-en- Chaussée (Oise), Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse, Saint-Servan-sur-Mer, Sallanches, Santenay (Loir-et-Cher), Sennecé.lès-Mâcon (Saône-et-Loire), Septeuil (Yvelines), Solosmes, Steenwerck, Strasbourg, Sus (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Susmiou (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Thonon-les-Baines, Toulouse (Haute Garonne), Vendôme (Loire-et-Cher)
GREECE, Salonika

GUAM
INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Bitola, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
ROMANIA, Jassy

SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

TURKEY, Izmir

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro), Minnesota (Mankato), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern, Yonkers), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Fox Lake, Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months (temporary 12 months due to Covid) -

On :- CHANNEL ISLANDS, Jersey (St. Saviour) 12/21, CHESHIRE, Hatherlow 3/22, DORSETSHIRE, Southbourne (11/21), GLAMORGANSHIRE (Newport 3/21), KENT (Goudhurst 12/20), LANARKSHIRE, Glasgow (Cambuslang) 6/21, LANCASHIRE (Anfield 6/21), Monmouthshire (Monmouth 3/21), STAFFORDSHIRE Longdon (12/21), SURREY (Camberwell 9/21), YORKSHIRE (Bridlington 3/21), BELGIUM  Poperinghe (10/21), MACEDONIA Bitola (3/21), FRANCE Arles (2/21), Bergerac (2/21), Béziers (2/21), Calais (10/21), Catillon (Nord) 1/22, Châlons-en-Champagne (2/21), Chaumard (Nievre) 10/21, Cherbourg-Octeville (Manche) 8/21, Choloy-Ménillot (2/21), Combres sous les Cotes (Meuse) (12/21), Compiègne (2/21), Cosnes-et-Romain (8/21), Courgent (Yveslines) 5/21, Dennevy (Saône-et-Loire) 5/21, Dompierre (Oise, 4/21), Dugny-sur-Meuse (2/21), Épinay-sur-Orge (2/21), Escaudœuvres (Nord 1/22), Étain (Meuse) 1/22, Fère-Champenoise (2/21), Garennes-sur-Eure (8/21), Gorges (Loire-Atlantique) (8/21), Gravelines (2/21), Gray (Haute-Saône) 4/21, Ivry-sur-Seine (2/21), Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris 2/21), La Fare-les-Oliviers (8/21), La Ferrière (Côtes-d'Armor) 4/21, Le Cateau-Cambrésis (Nord) 1/22, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage (2/21), L'Isle-en-Rigault (Meuse) (8/21), Longuyon (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) 1/22, Lyon 10/21, Melun (2/21), Meximieux 2/21, Montendre (Charente-Maritime) 5/21, Montmartre (Paris) 11/21, Montourtier (Mayenne) 9/21, Moosch (Haut-Rhin) 10/21, Mouzens (Dordogne) 3/21, Nancy 1/21, Nogent-sur-Marne 2/21, Nomaine (Nord) 3/21, Noyen-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe) 5/21, Ornan (10/21), Paris (Montparnasse) 6/21, Pau 10/21, Pierrefonds (Oise 2/21), Pompertuzat (Haute-Garonne) 4/21, Préaux (Mayenne) 9/21, Quemperven (Britanny) 8/21, Quérénaing (Nord) 1/22,  Quiberon (Britanny) 8/21, Recloses (Seine-et-Marne) 6/21, Reims (Marne) 10/21, Réméréville (Meurthe-et-Moselle) 8/21, Rocabey (Ille-et-Vilaine) 5/21, Rouen (Saint Maritime) 11/21, Saint-Germer-de-Fly church (Oise) 4/21, Saint Quentin (Aisne) 10/21, Saint-Jean-le-Priche (4/21), Saint-Just-en- Chaussée (Oise) 8/21, Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse (2/21), Saint-Servan-sur-Mer (3/21), Santenay (Loir-et-Cher) 4/21, Sennecé.lès-Mâcon (4/21), Septeuil (Yvelines) 5/21, Solosmes (2/21), Strasbourg (2/21),  Toulouse (Haute Garonne) 4/21, Vendôme (Loire-et-Cher) 8/21, GREECE Salonika 4/21, ROMANIA Jassy 5/21, TURKEY, Izmir (3/21), U.S.A. New York (Yonkers) 1/22, (Wisconsin, Fox Lake) 11/21

OFF - DORSETSHIRE, Southbourne (3/22), Warwickshire - Coventry (1/22), Midlothian - Edinburgh x 1 (one still outstanding) 1/22

22 hours ago, stevem49 said:

Who do you need in Coventry?

I have trawled my manuscript and cannot work out what is needed. I can only assume that the requirement was satisfied but I didn't delete.

The match has been postponed tomorrow Jim so won't be going to Nottingham. Whist I was researching where the graves are I found this photo on the web Maria Elizabeth McCraith. Have you got this photo?

Maria mccraith.jpg

20 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I have trawled my manuscript and cannot work out what is needed. I can only assume that the requirement was satisfied but I didn't delete.

Possibly the one I did at London Road Cemetery last year? (Could have been longer than a year :) )

Steve

I see you need Sunderland grangetown. Is this middlesbrough grangetown as I saw a nurse on the war memorial whilst I was visiting my daughter over New year 

20220102_095515_resize_39.jpg

1 hour ago, stevem49 said:

Possibly the one I did at London Road Cemetery last year? (Could have been longer than a year :) )

Steve

Steve, you are probably right.

18 minutes ago, bostonwayne said:

I see you need Sunderland grangetown. Is this middlesbrough grangetown as I saw a nurse on the war memorial whilst I was visiting my daughter over New year 

Yes, it is the same one - about five miles east of Middlesborough. She is shown as V.A.D. on the memorial but was actually Q.M.A.A.C.