Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 08/06/2022 at 19:25, PaulC78 said:

1911 Census shows Grace Williams, age 59, living at 111 Revidge Road, Blackburn, with son-in-law Joseph William Langhorne and daughter Mary Jane Langhorne. She was born around 1852 at Louth, Lincolnshire, was a widow, and her occupation given as housewife. She was at the same address in 1901, this time with other daughter Elizabeth A Williams, but still a widowed housewife. The two daughters were born in County Durham. Going back further to 1891, Grace was living at 54 Kilton Road, Worksop, as a housekeeper to her two younger brothers, James and Thomas Dernie. In 1881 she was with husband Robert Williams, a coal miner, at Whitworth near Spennymoor. Her maiden name, so far as I can tell, was Stones. Can't see anything to suggest that she's the woman you're looking for.

I've found your other Grace Jane Williams in 1911, living at 7 Montgomery Road, Sheffield, unmarried with no occupation given. The first line of the census form is blank suggesting that the head of the household was not present. The only other occupants were two servants. Same address in 1901, parents were Griffiths and Laura Elizabeth Williams. I also found a baptism record on FMP for Grace at St Silas' Church, Sheffield, 1882. Presumably she is the same Grace J Williams who later lived at 10 Kenbourne Street, Sheffield, who was an APR warden in 1939 and who died on 11 September 1959, age 82. Have looked but no sign of burial or cremation.

The 1921 Census appears to show Grace Jane Williams at Scarborough at an address with 29 other people, presumably an institution of some sort. You would need to purchase the record to find out more.

My research so far on Grace Jane Williams (born 1877, d. 1959).

The 1881 census finds the family living at 9 Hanover Square, Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield, Yorkshire. Griffith Williams (b. 8th March 1839 at The Shop, Mochdre, Llandrillo, Llandudno, Denbigshire, 1m. Agnes Robinson on the 5th September 1864 in Liverpool, three children, she died 1st March 1869 in Woodhead Road, Sheffield, she had been a milliner in Everton, 2m. Laura Elizabeth Barker on the 28th June 1870 in Islington, London, seven children, d. 11th October 1891 at 38 Broomhall Place, Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield, Yorkshire) is a draper employing 13 staff. He is married to Laura Elizabeth Griffith (nee Barker, b. 25th January 1848 at 42 Wynyatt Street, Clerkenwell, London, d. 1915 in London). They have six children being John Williams (b. 19th December 1868 in Sheffield), Herbert Hugh Williams (b. 1872 in Sheffield, a keen sportsman in cycling, cricket and golf, churchwarden of Sheffield cathedral, m. Sarah Emma Rose Linton in 1905 in Sheffield (she died 1946 in Sheffild), four children, died 28th April 1935 whilst attending his grand-daughter's christening in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire), Harry G. Williams (b. 1873 in Sheffield, d. 1940 in Sheffield), Frank E. Williams (b. 1875 in Sheffield, m. Johannah Josephine Ahearne on the 1st February 1908 in Johannesburg, South Africe, two children, d. 27th May 1954 in Johannesburg), Grace Jane Williams, Maurice Sydney Williams (b. 1880 in Sheffield, m. Florence Rose Hoult in Sheffield in 1906, two children, d. 18th March 1963 at 24 Riverdale Road, Sheffield). Also there is Griffith's sister, Sarah Williams (b. 1854 in Mochdre, single, a draper's assistant). There are three servants. We should mention here the three children that Griffith had with his first wife. They were Thomas Williams (b. 1865 in Liverpool), Hugh Williams (b. 1866 in Manchester) and John Williams (the only one of the three within the family census for 1881). The drapery business was known as The Trimming House, The Moor, Sheffield and was founded by Griffith Williams and later ran as a limited company. The 1891 census finds the family living at 38 Broomhall Place, Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield, Yorkshire. Griffith Williams is the head and a draper married to Laura E. Williams. There are seven children there being, John Williams (now a draper's assistant), Harry G. Williams (now a chemist), Frank E. Williams (now a clerk), Grace J. Williams, Maurice S. Williams, Harvey Williams (b. 25th June 1881 in Sheffield, m. Sarah Elizabeth Eaton on the 27th August 1908 in St. Cuthberts church, Sheffield, d. 9th June 1965 at 20 Montgomery Road, Sheffield) and Percy Williams (b. 1884 in Sheffield, working as an assistant music teacher at the Royal Normal College for the Blind, 72 Westow Street, Upper Norwood, Croydon, Surrey in 1911, m. Evelyn Laing in Sheffield in 1942, two children, d. 1957 in Sheffield). Griffith's sister, Sarah Williams, is also there as a shop woman and being born in Llandrills, Denbyshire. There are two servants. The 1901 census shows the family living at 7 Montgomery Road, Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield, Yorkshire. The head is now Laura Elizabeth Williams (a widow, general draper and shown as born in Clerkenwell, London). Five children are with her being Herbert H. Williams (a draper's assistant), Harry G. Williams (a chemist out of employment), Grace J. Williams (no occupation), Maurice S. Williams (a draper's assistant) and Harvey Williams (now a cabinet maker's apprentice). There are two servants. The 1911 census finds the family living at 7 Montgomery Road, Sheffield, Yorkshire (an eleven-roomed property). The census form is incomplete as it omits the mother's name as head although a space has been left for it. As for the rest, Grace Jane Williams  (b. 1877 in Sheffield, no occupation shown) is there as are a cook and a housemaid.

On 08/06/2022 at 11:14, bostonwayne said:

I went to Abbydale Road but the church was closed. I will return to photograph this roh but not sure if it will help. I am trying to see the roh in the synagogue for Emily Hartmann. I went last Friday but wasn't allowed in. However I was given a number to ring this Friday so hopefully will get in then.

Are Fridays a good day being the Jewish sabbath?

Are Fridays a good day being the Jewish sabbath?

Last Friday was a Jewish holiday Shavuot I believe which is why the synagogue was open. I rang him earlier and he agreed to meet me on Monday to photograph the memorial for Emily Hartman. I think he's a difficult person though as he wouldn't show me last week whilst I was there. I told him it's 45 minutes from my house but to no avail. We'll see what happens Monday 

On 10/06/2022 at 12:47, Godsavethequeen said:

how nice of you..Im in Glasgow if anyone needs photos of headstones ..

About time for an update. Let me know if there is anything in striking distance.

UNITED KINGDOM

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CHANNEL ISLANDS, Jersey (St. Saviour)

CHESHIRE, Chester, Hatherlow

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf

DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Newport, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Lydney,

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane, Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Goudhurst, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bolton, Healey, Manchester (just Peare once CWGC marker erected), Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon, Monmouth

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge, Jesmond

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Longdon, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Foxearth, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Camberwell, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

YORKSHIRE, Bridlington, Colton, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Malton, Redcar, Staithes

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes, Ghent, Poperinghe, Tournai (Wallonia)

CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (Brigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arcachon, Arles, Arras (Pas-de-Calais department), Bergerac, Béziers, Boutigny (Seine-et-Marne department), Calais, Carquefou (Loire-Atlantique department), Catillon (Nord), Celles-sur-Durolle  (Puy-de-Dôme department), Châlons-en-Champagne (Marne department), Châlons-en-Champagne, Châtres (Seine-et-Marne department), Chaumard (Nievre), Chaumont, Chénières (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Cherbourg-Octeville (Manche), Chiry-Ourscamp (Oise department), Choloy-Ménillot, Combres sous les Cotes (Meuse), Compiègne, Cosnes-et-Romain, Courgent (Yveslines), Dennevy (Saône-et-Loire), Dompierre (Oise), Douaumont-Vaux (Meuse department), Dugny-sur-Meuse, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Épinay-sur-Orge (Isle de France), Ermenonville (Oise department), Escaudœuvres (Nord), Étain (Meuse), Fère-Champenoise, Fresnois-la-Montagne (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Garennes-sur-Eure, Gironde, Gorges (Loire-Atlantique), Gravelines, Gray (Haute-Saône), Guiscard (Oise department), Hazebrouck (Nord department), Hemévez (Normandy), Honnechy (Nord department), Hussigny-Godbrange (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Ivry-sur-Seine, Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris), Jarville, Le Cateau-Cambrésis (Nord), La Fare-les-Oliviers  (Bouches-du-Rhône department), La Ferrière (Côtes-d'Armor), Lamalou, L'Isle-en-Rigault (Meuse), Longuyon (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Lure (Haute-Saône department), Luzarches (Val d'Oise), Lyon, Melun, Menton, Meximieux, Montendre (Charente-Maritime), Montmartre (Paris), Montourtier (Mayenne), Mont-Saint-Martin (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Montsûrs-Saint-Céneré (Mayenne department), Moosch (Haut-Rhin), Mouleydier (Dordogne), Mouzens (Dordogne), Nancy, Noaillan (Gironde department), Nogent-sur-Marne (Isle de France), Nomaine (Nord), Noyen-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe), Noyon (Oise department), Ornan (Doubs department), Paris (Montparnasse), Pau (Pyrénées-Atlantiques department), Périgueux (Dordogne), Pierrefonds (Oise), Pompertuzat (Haute-Garonne), Pont-à-Mousson (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Préaux (Mayonne), Pys, Quemperven (Britanny), Quérénaing (Nord), Quiberon (Britanny), Recloses (Seine-et-Marne), Reims (Marne), Réméréville (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Rocabey (Ille-et-Vilaine), Rouen ((Saint-Maritime), Saint Amand les Aux, Saint Amour (Jura department), Saint-Germer-de-Fly (Oise), Saint Marcellin-en-Forez (Loire), Saint Quentin (Aisne), Saint-Jean-le-Priche (Saône-et-Loire), Saint-Just-en-Chaussée (Oise), Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine (Seine-Saint-Denis department), Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse, Saint-Servan-sur-Mer, Sallanches, Santenay (Loir-et-Cher), Sennecé.lès-Mâcon (Saône-et-Loire), Senones (Vosges department), Septeuil (Yvelines), Servan-sur-Mer (Ille et Vilaine department), Sèvres (Hauts-de-Seine department), Solosmes, Steenwerck, Strasbourg, Sus (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Susmiou (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Talant (Côte-d'Or department), Thonon-les-Baines (Haute-Savoie department), Toulouse (Haute Garonne), Vallon-Pont-d'Arc (Ardèche department), Vendôme (Loire-et-Cher), Vic-sur-Seille (Moselle department)

GREECE, Salonika

GUAM
INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Bitola, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
ROMANIA, Jassy

SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

SWITZERLAND, Grandson (Vaud canton)

TURKEY, Izmir

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro, Milton), Minnesota (Mankato), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern, Yonkers), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Fox Lake, Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months (temporary 12 months due to Covid) -

On :- CHANNEL ISLANDS, Jersey (St. Saviour) 12/21, CHESHIRE, Hatherlow 3/22, DORSETSHIRE, Southbourne (11/21), STAFFORDSHIRE Longdon (12/21), SURREY (Camberwell 9/21),

BELGIUM  Poperinghe (10/21), Tournai (Wallonia) (5/22),

FRANCE Boutigny (Seine-et-Marne department) (5/22), Calais (10/21), Carquefou (Loire-Atlantique department) (5/22), Catillon (Nord) 1/22, Celles-sur-Durolle  (Puy-de-Dôme department) (5/22), Châlons-en-Champagne (Marne department) (5/22), Chaumard (Nievre) 10/21, Chénières (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (5/22), Chiry-Ourscamp (Oise department) (5/22), Combres sous les Cotes (Meuse) (12/21), Douaumont-Vaux (Meuse department) (5/22), Ermenonville (Oise department) (5/22), Fresnois-la-Montagne (Meurthe-et-Moselle) 5/22, Guiscard (Oise department) (5/22),Hazebrouck (Nord department) (8/22), Honnechy (Nord department) (5/22), Hussigny-Godbrange (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (5/22), Longuyon (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (1/22), Lure (Haute-Saône department) (5/22), Luzarches (Val d'Oise) (8/22), Lyon (10/21), Montmartre (Paris) (11/21), Montourtier (Mayenne) (9/21), Mont-Saint-Martin (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (5/22), Montsûrs-Saint-Céneré (Mayenne department) (5/22), Moosch (Haut-Rhin) (10/21), Noaillan (Gironde department) (5/22), Noyon (Oise department) (5/22), Ornan (10/21), Pau (10/21), Périgueux (Dordogne) (8/22), Pont-à-Mousson (Meurthe-et-Moselle) (9/22), PréPréaux (Mayenne) (9/21), Quérénaing (Nord) (1/22),  Reims (Marne) (10/21), Rouen (Saint Maritime) (11/21), Saint Amour (Jura department) (8/22), Saint Marcellin-en-Forez (Loire) (9/22), Saint Quentin (Aisne) (10/21), Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine (Seine-Saint-Denis department) (8/22), Senones (Vosges department) (5/22), Servan-sur-Mer (Ille et Vilaine department) (5/22), Sèvres (Hauts de Seine department) (5/22), Talant (Cote d'Or department) (5/22), Vallon-Pont-d'Arc (Ardèche department) (5/22), Vic-sur-Seille (Moselle department) (5/22)

SWITZERLAND, Grandson (Vaud canton) (5/22)

U.S.A. Massachusetts (Milton) (5/22), New York (Yonkers) 1/22, (Wisconsin, Fox Lake) 11/21

OFF - DORSETSHIRE, Southbourne (3/22), LANCASHIRE, Kirby (5/22), WARWICKSHIRE - Coventry (1/22), YORKSHIRE - Sheffield (6/22), AUSTRALIA - Rockwood (error for Rookwood) (7/22)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

New one in Grimsby?

Can I also just check on the Lincolnshire ones,

It is Walcot (near Folkingham) or Walcott (near Billinghay)

Well? Is that near Alford? If it is, then there are 4 of your localtions within a 10 mile radius.

Admittedly the closest is 50 minutes away from me, but its a nice drive out

Edited by temptage

Jim Strawbridge. I'm not sure what you are attempting to achieve, but here are two photos you requested; Louie Chaplin and Fanny Taylor of Gotham Nottinghamshire. These girls were 19 and 21 when they were killed in the explosion at the Chilwell ordnance factory on 1st July 1918.  Though they were both Gotham girls who would have walked the 5 miles or so daily over the hill and crossing the Trent by ferry at Thrumpton to get to work, their bodies were not identified. The "gobbets of flesh", which is all that remained of many victims, were buried in a communal grave at Attenborough churchyard. I imagine the two friends had these studio portraits taken at the same time.

Louie Chaplin.png

Fanny Taylor.png

Ive just found a previous request for info on the Lincolnshire ones. Some are covered, others I will need details for.

LINCOLN - Beatrice Mary HODGSON, VAD, died 29th December 1919. Buried in St. Peter (Eastgate) churchyard. Also mentioned on a remembrance tablet in St. Peter's church.

(I have added her record on Find A Grave and have requested a multitude of photos IF her grave can be located)

MUMBY - Hilda ROBERTSHAW, VAD and Mildred Bessie ROBERTSHAW, died together 13th September 1920 in a swimming accident. There names are on a memorial plaque in Mumby church.

(These two are buried in St James Churchyard, South Anston, Nottinghamshire if you arent aware)

SAUSTHORPE - Ethel SWAN, VAD, died 28th February 1916. She is buried in St. Andrew churchyard, Sausthorpe.

(I have added her record on Find A Grave and have requested a multitude of photos. Her grave is easily located (2 step granite cross. Inscription on west. Lettering clear. Good condition. South East of graveyard))

WELL - Mary HASNIP, VAD, died 10th December 1919. She is commemorated on two plaques in St. Margaret's church Well.

(Might be a pain to get to. Located in a field. Only access is a muddy track. Possibly on Private land too)

WILLOUGHBY - Harriet SALES, VAD, died 1921. Buried in St. Helena's churchyard

Edited by temptage

Hello Jim

Looking through your requirements, I see you have one for Blairdaff, Aberdeenshire. 

I recall doing one for you there some time ago. Is this a new one?

Kenny

19 hours ago, temptage said:

Ive just found a previous request for info on the Lincolnshire ones. Some are covered, others I will need details for.

LINCOLN - Beatrice Mary HODGSON, VAD, died 29th December 1919. Buried in St. Peter (Eastgate) churchyard. Also mentioned on a remembrance tablet in St. Peter's church.

I've been to St Peter's church to look for this grave. The church was closed so I couldn't get in to look at the memorial tablet. There are no longer any headstones in the churchyard it is all grassed over. 

46 minutes ago, bostonwayne said:

I've been to St Peter's church to look for this grave. The church was closed so I couldn't get in to look at the memorial tablet. There are no longer any headstones in the churchyard it is all grassed over. 

The Churchyard is not around the Church. It is a 2 minute walk away. Ive been there to photograph the 5 War Graves.

Screenshot_1.png.019d53747ccfc8ee743cad29d8977573.png

Edited by temptage

On 11/06/2022 at 13:21, Kenny.bell said:

Jim

What do you need at Dunblane?

Kenny

Sorry, Kenny, a mistake on my part. I put the wrong listing up as my requirements. I now see that it was an old list that had not been updated. Now corrected.

On 11/06/2022 at 13:38, temptage said:

New one in Grimsby?

Can I also just check on the Lincolnshire ones,

It is Walcot (near Folkingham) or Walcott (near Billinghay)

Well? Is that near Alford? If it is, then there are 4 of your localtions within a 10 mile radius.

Admittedly the closest is 50 minutes away from me, but its a nice drive out

Temptage, I made a mistake and put up an old listing. Now corrected. My current Lincolnshire requirements are :- Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Walcot, Well and Willoughby

LINCOLN  -  St. Peter (Eastgate) churchyard. Beatrice Mary Hodgson, died 29th December 1919 (VAD). Photo of her grave marker and also a remembrance tablet in the church required.

MUMBY  -  There is a plaque in Mumby church to sisters Hilda Robertshaw and Mildred Bessie Robertshaw (VADs) who died 13th September 1920.

SAUSTHORPE  -  Ethel Swan, a VAD, is buried in St. Andrew churchyard, Sausthorpe. She died 18th February 1916. Worth looking in the church for memorials as I know that Mildred Mary Clayton-Swan was local although buried in France.

WALCOT  -  the Folkingham one. Lucy Marian Thurlby, VAD, died 10th September 1919 and is buried there (presume churchyard but may be cemetery).

WELL  -  Mary Hasnip, VAD, died in Italy 10th December 1919. There is said to be two individual memorial plaques in St. Margarets church, Well.

WILLOUGHBY  -  Harriet Sales, VAD, died 1921 is buried in St. Helenas churchyard, Willoughby. A photograph of her grave marker required. Someone has previously searched without success so her grave may be unmarked.

Later - doing responses in date order so just caught up with your second posting.

LINCOLN - Beatrice Mary HODGSON, VAD,

(I have added her record on Find A Grave and have requested a multitude of photos IF her grave can be located)

The problem that I have with FAG is one of copyright but at least it may help locating the grave.

MUMBY - Hilda ROBERTSHAW, VAD and Mildred Bessie ROBERTSHAW,

(These two are buried in St James Churchyard, South Anston, Nottinghamshire if you arent aware)

I am aware and have photographs.

SAUSTHORPE - Ethel SWAN, VAD,

(I have added her record on Find A Grave and have requested a multitude of photos. Her grave is easily located (2 step granite cross. Inscription on west. Lettering clear. Good condition. South East of graveyard))

Again, using FAG creates a copyright issue. I cannot always get the provider's permission.

WELL - Mary HASNIP, VAD,

(Might be a pain to get to. Located in a field. Only access is a muddy track. Possibly on Private land too)

We are talking about a church, here. Muddy tracks dry out. Unlikely to be on private land.

Thank you for the helpful Google Earth photo showing that the churchyard at St. Peters, Lincoln is away from the church.

On 11/06/2022 at 14:39, Okeykokey said:

Jim Strawbridge. I'm not sure what you are attempting to achieve, but here are two photos you requested; Louie Chaplin and Fanny Taylor of Gotham Nottinghamshire. These girls were 19 and 21 when they were killed in the explosion at the Chilwell ordnance factory on 1st July 1918.  Though they were both Gotham girls who would have walked the 5 miles or so daily over the hill and crossing the Trent by ferry at Thrumpton to get to work, their bodies were not identified. The "gobbets of flesh", which is all that remained of many victims, were buried in a communal grave at Attenborough churchyard. I imagine the two friends had these studio portraits taken at the same time.

Okeykokey. Thank you. What am I attempting to achieve? Well, for starters, I have been almost 30 years in collating information about all WW1 serving female casualties. I have constructed mini biographies of them and am attempting to obtain photographs of them, their graves and their memorials. A massive task on which I spend at least six hours per day, seven days a week. To this end there is a raft of kind individuals who have travelled to obtain the photographs and share them with me. I don't recall asking for photographs of the two munition workers as I already had them off the Web, unless I asked for uncopyrighted ones that someone might have. Mine are the same as yours including the tear to that of Fanny Taylor. I already have a photograph of the wooden memorial in Gotham church. I am currently working my way through the French female casualties and will be soon starting the German ones. When that is finished I hope to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and start bringing everything together for some sort of publication.

On 12/06/2022 at 09:40, Kenny.bell said:

Hello Jim

Looking through your requirements, I see you have one for Blairdaff, Aberdeenshire. 

I recall doing one for you there some time ago. Is this a new one?

Kenny

Sorry, Kenny. As I explained above I posted the wrong list and one that was before you provided Blairdaff.

On 12/06/2022 at 10:01, bostonwayne said:

Temptage's Google Earth photograph (above) should be helpful.

Finally photographed the memorial for Emily Hartman. There is another nurse named on the board but I presume she survived. Then onto St Peter's Abblydale Road. This show its Grace Jane Williams so I'm not sure if this is the nurse that survived. I will send you them via we transfer. 

20220613_113648_resize_64.jpg

20220613_121603_resize_55.jpg

3 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Finally photographed the memorial for Emily Hartman. There is another nurse named on the board but I presume she survived. Then onto St Peter's Abblydale Road. This show its Grace Jane Williams so I'm not sure if this is the nurse that survived. I will send you them via we transfer. 

Bostonwayne. Thank you. Safely received. Emily Hartman was a casualty and there is a little cross against her name on the R of H. She died of influenza on the 20th October 1918 and lies in Ecclesfield Jewish Cemetery (I have a photograph of it). Staff nurse B. Wollman, whose name as a QAIMNS is below hers, survived.  The muddle with Grace Jane Williams needs to be sorted perhaps by reference to the local newspapers but whether we have the right one or not we have the photograpg either way.

On 11/06/2022 at 14:55, temptage said:

WELL - Mary HASNIP, VAD, died 10th December 1919. She is commemorated on two plaques in St. Margaret's church Well.

There is definitely one Memorial plaque for Mary Hasnip

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Lincolnshire/Well.html

On 13/06/2022 at 11:53, Jim Strawbridge said:

Sorry, Kenny. As I explained above I posted the wrong list and one that was before you provided Blairdaff.

Temptage's Google Earth photograph (above) should be helpful.

I contacted St Peters Church, Eastgate, about when it might be possible to photograph anything inside the Church

"Thank you for your enquiry. The church is usually open Tuesday and Wednesday 9-3pm also Sundays 9 to 12pm should you wish to call any time. "

• 2 weeks later...

Some photos from Liverpool (Toxteth Park) Cemetery, taken last month...

Staff Nurse Lilian Thomas, 2/Res/T/91 Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service, died 14 August 1918, age 27.

Thomas.jpg.067589ee1db10da9ef561d3ab2ae4268.jpg

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/371127/lilian-thomas/

Edited by PaulC78

Thank you, Paul. I particularly like the interloper on Rose Butcher's photograph (background - an urchin with a bunch of flowers).

Hi Jim, just wondering if you have anything on nurse Hilda Ayre-Smith who died in 1916 from septicemia. Apparently she caught blood poisoning from dressing wounded soldiers at Hylands House Military Hospital. I'm not overly familiar with the commemoration criteria for nurses so I'm not sure where she would stand. It sort of came up in another topic.