Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

13 hours ago, monkstown said:

I was in the Chapel in Mt Jerome today for a funeral service - I had never realised how large the actual cemetery is!   Interestingly, the Mt Jerome estate, famed for its beautiful landscaped gardens, fishponds and running streams, was  bought by a wealthy banking family, the Wilkinsons, in the early 1700s. The family sold it again in the 1780s and the son of that purchaser sold it to a cemetery company which had been formed by Robert Shaw, the son-in-law of the 'original' Wilkinson family - so the wheel had turned full circle. I will speak to some of the staff there and see can they give me any assistance in finding Eileen's grave.  Maybe she was related to the original Wilkinson family.

Her father was a civil servant with the family living in Rathmines. If from a wealthy banking family I would not have expected him to be working throughout his life. But stranger things have happened.

Never made it to Weaste in the end, but I did get some photos from Manchester Southern Cemetery.

There's no visible inscription on this grave marker, but this should be Olga Milne Fisher buried at plot CE G/309. The headstone on the left is G/307-8 and the one on the right is G/310-11.

P1134141.jpg.612688f45cf60af7a2cda108313d3196.jpg

P1134144.jpg.52ff279a601478ee5d1a854eb3cd33e7.jpg

Lydia William Falconar Grant (CE Q/285) and Hilda Florence Letitia Ann Peare (CE Q/287). The Peare headstone is rather small and placed two plots behind Grant.

P1134166.jpg.f16868dae49c0266c7a14d724c9c1c2e.jpg

P1134167.jpg.4d0b4b512d623d949c239f700c02a5fd.jpg

P1134174.jpg.e054d506aba7cffb395474574f27d28e.jpg

Edited by PaulC78

This should be the unmarked grave (or former grave) of Eugenie Cazier Hosier at plot CE R/621, one to the right of R/622.

P1134192.jpg.110b07fa7e1bcde3e03db711378c5138.jpg

Florence Jane Settle at plot CE A/502, however the only visible inscription that I could see is for Dorothy May Gunn, died 4 June 1919, age 28. The other occupant of this grave is Ellen Jane Gunn died 1915.

P1134259.jpg.4193f97496443a48611e367fe3f49350.jpg

P1134261.jpg.b56a20098e5633c19cc84943ffe370fa.jpg

Marie Louise Stiebel buried at plot NC D/1129.

P1134265.jpg.8d48481c402f3d3d62482e6779accfc2.jpg

Rounding off Manchester Southern with Edith Ellen Barford, buried at plot CE M/2367.

P1134106.jpg.cb054a8ed680a92101c5e5a95741b844.jpg

Also had time to visit Manchester (Gorton) Cemetery, this is Frances E Smith buried at plot CE P/140.

P1134006.jpg.81aeb7c83f83d4c766353e3227f2abb4.jpg

P1134012.jpg.daf64b0475efb2b732378f7ab0621c2d.jpg

Jim, who is buried in Guam ?

Thank you, Paul. A good haul from Manchester. Much appreciated. Whilst I had photographs of all but one it is nice to have duplicates so as to have a choice. A couple of remarks. The grave marker for Hilda Peare seems to be non-contemporary and erected some while after her death. It pitifully shows her as a trench field nurse with service in France. Trench Field Nurse ?  Nurses were kept away from the trenches although some could be not too far back. But a sloppy term. Service in France ? So far as I can tell she never set foot in France having served firstly in Meath Hospital, Dublin then at 2nd Western General Hospital, Manchester where she died. No dates of birth or death are shown. Or mention that she was a V.A.D. nurse (B.R.C.S.). With the best intentions the providing of the stone was well meaning but sloppy. The good news is that the CWGC should be providing one of their grave markers in due course. Lastly you have provided the unmarked grave of Eugenie Cazier Hosier. According to my records she was Eugenia Cazier Hosie (not Hosier), an American Y.M.C.A. member who died in Manchester on the 5th March 1919.  You have polished off all of my known Manchester requirements although I do have a few who died there but I have yet to find their final resting place. And, of course, Peare once the CWGC have erected their stone.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

1 hour ago, christine liava'a said:

Jim, who is buried in Guam ?

Nellie M. Sherzinger, U.S. Navy Nurse Corps. She died at the Naval Hospital there on the 3rd August 1916 and is buried in the U.S. Naval Cemetery, Agana, Hagatna, Guam.

On 29/05/2022 at 10:53, Jim Strawbridge said:

Her father was a civil servant with the family living in Rathmines. If from a wealthy banking family I would not have expected him to be working throughout his life. But stranger things have happened.

Ok - Mt Jerome has kindly supplied me with the following  basic information - I will follow up when I get a chance but, for work reasons,  it may be late June .

The below 4 interments are in grave number C16 – 12072 which appears to be marked with a headstone.

Mary Kerr Scott 1904

Eileen Wilkinson 1918

Maria Wilkinson 1920

George Wilkinson 1931

1 hour ago, monkstown said:

Ok - Mt Jerome has kindly supplied me with the following  basic information - I will follow up when I get a chance but, for work reasons,  it may be late June .

The below 4 interments are in grave number C16 – 12072 which appears to be marked with a headstone.

Mary Kerr Scott 1904

Eileen Wilkinson 1918

Maria Wilkinson 1920

George Wilkinson 1931

Great news. Maria (Mary) and George Wilkinson are Eileen's parents. Mary Kerr Scott was Maria's cousin and in the 1901 Ireland census was living with the Wilkinson family in Rathmines, was a widow and born in 1831 in Scotland.

You'll probably have this Jim but was at Wetheral at the weekend and found the memorial with a nurse on.

20220604_140319.jpg

20220604_141415.jpg

Edited by deacs
Photos wrong

Hulme Cultram Abbey, Cumberland need to go back to find her headstone.

20220603_155908.jpg

20220603_155839.jpg

20220603_155759.jpg

19 hours ago, deacs said:

You'll probably have this Jim but was at Wetheral at the weekend and found the memorial with a nurse on.

Thank you for the photograph of the Wetheral lych gate. I already had it but I think that yours it a better one. With regards to Martha Mark, her death in 1926 means that she falls outside my criteria for this project. I have tried to conform to that of the CWGC  ie.  cut off date of 1921.

I've been to Darnall cemetery. I know the grave of Grace Williams but I thought I may be able to turn it over. Sadly not the headstone is 5' thick

20220603_105304_resize_48.jpg

18 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

I've been to Darnall cemetery. I know the grave of Grace Williams but I thought I may be able to turn it over. Sadly not the headstone is 5' thick

Wayne, Could you read anything on the grave marker? The reason I ask is because there were two Grace Williams' who were nursing in Sheffield at the time. The headstone for the one that you have taken a photograph of is the Grace Williams who died at 70 Poole Road, Sheffield in July 1917 and was buried on the 17th July. She was a widow aged 64.  But the BRCS record cards show her survival if she was Miss Grace Jane Williams of 7 Montgomery Road, Sheffield who served as a paid nurse (W.R. Yorks/108) from the 12th October 1915 to November 1915 in General Hospital, France, to July 1917 in a stationary hospital in France and to the 12th November 1917 at a general hospital.  In November 1919 she was still a BRCS nurse but as a volunteer at 3rd Northern General Hospital, Sheffield. Information on the headstone may steer me in the right direction although looking at the photograph it appears to be badly weathered and probably unreadable.

As I recall from my visit last summer, the headstone at Darnall is lying face down. But you can see from Wayne's post above who she is buried with.

From a quick look on FreeBMD, it looks like Joseph William Langhorne married Mary Jane Williams at Blackburn in 1901, then married Elizabeth Ann Williams at Sheffield in 1918. Not sure how that all ties together, but I'm guessing these were daughters of Grace Williams?

Thank you Boston Wayne and PaulC78 for the extra information. To recap, the name of Grace Jane Williams came from a Roll of Honour held at St. Peter's, Abbeydale Road, Sheffield. Rolls of Honour can be of two types ;  honouring those from the congregation that served or those from the congregation that died serving their country. The BRCS website for VADs is hoplessly incomplete and should not be relied on. The grave of which Wayne has photographed is that of a widow who died at 70 Poole Road Sheffield on the 17th July 1917. It fits the bill but there is no evidence that she was a VAD. The BRCS cards show another Grace Jane Williams of 7 Montgomery Road, Sheffield as having been one of their nurses who served in France but no note that she died and, indeed, evidence that she survived past 1919. Abbeydale Road is SW of Sheffield, Poole Road is due east of Sheffield and Montgomery Road is also SW of Sheffield and not too far away from Abbeydale Road. Therefore, on balance, the congregationalist whose name is on the Roll of Honour is most likely to have survived the war and is not the one whose grave we have been looking at. 

I went to Abbydale Road but the church was closed. I will return to photograph this roh but not sure if it will help. I am trying to see the roh in the synagogue for Emily Hartmann. I went last Friday but wasn't allowed in. However I was given a number to ring this Friday so hopefully will get in then.

1911 Census shows Grace Williams, age 59, living at 111 Revidge Road, Blackburn, with son-in-law Joseph William Langhorne and daughter Mary Jane Langhorne. She was born around 1852 at Louth, Lincolnshire, was a widow, and her occupation given as housewife. She was at the same address in 1901, this time with other daughter Elizabeth A Williams, but still a widowed housewife. The two daughters were born in County Durham. Going back further to 1891, Grace was living at 54 Kilton Road, Worksop, as a housekeeper to her two younger brothers, James and Thomas Dernie. In 1881 she was with husband Robert Williams, a coal miner, at Whitworth near Spennymoor. Her maiden name, so far as I can tell, was Stones. Can't see anything to suggest that she's the woman you're looking for.

I've found your other Grace Jane Williams in 1911, living at 7 Montgomery Road, Sheffield, unmarried with no occupation given. The first line of the census form is blank suggesting that the head of the household was not present. The only other occupants were two servants. Same address in 1901, parents were Griffiths and Laura Elizabeth Williams. I also found a baptism record on FMP for Grace at St Silas' Church, Sheffield, 1882. Presumably she is the same Grace J Williams who later lived at 10 Kenbourne Street, Sheffield, who was an APR warden in 1939 and who died on 11 September 1959, age 82. Have looked but no sign of burial or cremation.

The 1921 Census appears to show Grace Jane Williams at Scarborough at an address with 29 other people, presumably an institution of some sort. You would need to purchase the record to find out more.

Edited by PaulC78

On 04/08/2003 at 10:32, gem22 said:

If you need any photos from Cambridgeshire and surroumding couties let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Garth

how nice of you..Im in Glasgow if anyone needs photos of headstones ..