Jump to content

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide


Jim Strawbridge
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, temptage said:

I thought you had got the Lincoln one now

Still to get in Lincolnshire

LINCOLN  -  Beatrice Mary HODGSON, VAD, died 29th December 1919. There is a remembrance tablet in a church (unknown) but we suspect that it is St. Peters church where there is a commemorative window and where she is buried (both of which I have).

MUMBY  -  Hilda and Mildred Bessie ROBERTSHAW, VADs, died 13th September 1920. They are buried in St. James churchyard and commemorated on the lychgate there (I have both). But there is beleived to be a plaque to the two sisters within the church.

SAUSTHORPE  -  Ethel, SWAN, VAD, died 28th February 1916. Buried in St. Andrew churchyard. Said to be a two step granite cross.

SCOTHERN  -   Charlotte FOX, munition worker, died 5th December 1916, buried in St. Germain churchyard. I have a Find A Grave one but need one to overcome copyright issues.

WALCOT  -  Lucy Marian THURLBY, VAD, died 10th September 1919. Buried in Walcot but cemetery/churchyard currently unknown. It is quite a small village so likely to be in St. Nicholas churchyard.

WELL  -  Mary HASNIP, VAD, died 10th December 1919. There are two individual plaque in her memory in St. Margarets Church.

WILLOUGHBY  -  Harriet SALES, VAD, died 1921. She is buried in St. Helena's churchyard (may be unmarked as a previous look failed to find her).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, monkstown said:

Who are the Dublin ones, Jim - I might be able to help.

Dublin, Mount Jerome cemetery  -  grave of William Jones CROFTON, M.B., T.C.D. includes remembrance of Nora Norris CROFTON, died 30th October 1918. Also mentions two eldest daughter dying serving their country so a bit of a work in progress at present.

Dublin, Drumcondra  -  Eleanor Frances HILL, VAD, died February 1919, buried in St. Georges Burial Ground, Whitworth Road.

Dublin, Glasnevin  -  Elizabeth Mary MAHONY, VAD, died 15th April 1919. I have a photo off Find A Grave but need one without copyright issues. Also the name of Sheila Isabel Mary PLUNKETT is on the Glasnevin Cemetery War Memorial, Dublin.

Dublin, Grangegorman  -  Mary WALLACE, QMAAC, died 14th March 1919. Photograph of her name off the Grangegorman Memorial, Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Blackhorse Avenue required.

Thank you. I hope that you can help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/08/2003 at 10:40, Jim Strawbridge said:

Well gang, If you don't ask you don't get. I am preparing a register of women who died during or soon after WW1 for eventual publication at my expense. I have virtually all of the names but very few illustrations. If I cannot get a photograph of the lady I am trying to get a copy of her grave headstone or name on the town/village memorial. Their graves are scattered throughout the UK and for that matter the world. I live in Devon and have photographs for Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. I also have Malta covered and various other pockets of the UK where I have visited. But with around 1600 names ANY help would be gratefully received. This is where you come in. If you are prepared to take photographs of these ladies headstones in your locality or holiday destination I should be very pleased to receive them. Just drop me a line at jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk and tell me the area which you can cover I will reply with the town/village and plot locations. I will of course acknowledge the help given against the photograph in the register. For those willing to become involved my grateful thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you. Jim Strawbridge, Devon.

I have researched 3 Darwen women see: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18448577.heroines-first-world-war-made-darwen-proud/

Let me know if you are interested in the information 

Regards, Tony

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, familyhistoryman said:

I have researched 3 Darwen women see: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18448577.heroines-first-world-war-made-darwen-proud/

Let me know if you are interested in the information 

Regards, Tony

 

Tony, I know of the following Darwen women who could be classed as having died for their country.

Elizabeth Annie Challinor, QAIMNS, died 26th October 1918

Martha Emily Jenkins, Mercantile Marine, died 27th March 1915

Betsy Mary Walsh, QMAAC, died 29th June 1918.

Are these the three that you have researched ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Tony, I know of the following Darwen women who could be classed as having died for their country.

Elizabeth Annie Challinor, QAIMNS, died 26th October 1918

Martha Emily Jenkins, Mercantile Marine, died 27th March 1915

Betsy Mary Walsh, QMAAC, died 29th June 1918.

Are these the three that you have researched ?

Yes. Betsy Mary Walsh is buried in Darwen Cemetery see http://www.darwencemetery.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/walsh_mb_2c_document.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Dublin, Mount Jerome cemetery  

Dublin, Drumcondra  -  

Dublin, Glasnevin  -  

Dublin, Grangegorman  - 

Thank you. I hope that you can help.

Will get to them, I hope, at some stage!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, monkstown said:

Will get to them, I hope, at some stage!

On working my way through my Word manuscript looking for Dublin candidates I found a few who had died in Dublin but I did not know where they were buried. Museumtom (on this site) has always been helpful and two more burial places have been discovered.

MOUNT JEROME CEMETERY  -  Katherine (or Catherine) Elizabeth Middleton CURTIS, St. John Ambulance, died 18th January 1918 is buried her although plot details yet to be found.

DEANS GRANGE CEMETERY  -  Georgina Emily MORRISON, VAD, died 18th April 1921 is buried in south west, row B1, plot 62.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nemesis-4u said:

Need any from the Southern Hemisphere Jim?

The Southern Hemisphere is half the globe. A pretty big place. But I do need photographs from the following places.

AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru

ps. my full listing of current requirements is back one page (page 119).

Edited by Jim Strawbridge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oamaru. There are 17 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war and 6 of the 1939-1945 war all are male.

There are also two Cemetery's Oamaru Lawn and Oamaru Old, can you provide the ladies name/details as they do not appear on (Page 119).

Also the NSW details, see what I can dig-up!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nemesis-4u said:

Oamaru. There are 17 Commonwealth burials of the 1914-1918 war and 6 of the 1939-1945 war all are male.

There are also two Cemetery's Oamaru Lawn and Oamaru Old, can you provide the ladies name/details as they do not appear on (Page 119).

Also the NSW details, see what I can dig-up!

 

OAMARU, Old (Presbyterian)  -  Hugh McFarquhar CLARK is buried in block 65, plot 26,27.  The name of his daughter is entered on his grave marker as a memorial. She was Isabel Clark, N.Z. Army Nursing Service and died at sea on the 28th April 1915.

KOGARAH  -  Edith BLAKE, QAIMNS, died 26th February 1918 at sea. Her name is on the Kogarah Roll of Honour which, when last enquired about, was in storage as the Kogarah RSL Club was having a new clubhouse built. If the new clubhouse has been built the R of H should be in it.

MANLY  -  Annie EGAN, Australian Army Nursing Service, died 3rd December 1918. Her grave is at R.C.3.209, North Head (Quarantine) Cemetery, Manly. Photo of headstone required. The one that I have is subject to copyright.

Also Elizabeth McGREGOR, Australian Red Cross, died 5th December 1918. She is buried in Quarantine Cemetery, plot R.C.3.210

MILLTHORPE  -  Pearl Stella GOODMAN, military nurse, died 6th March 1919. Her name is said to be recorded on the memorial gates, Redmond Oval, 44 Park Street, Millthorpe but images seen on line does not confirm this. Her brothers, John Howard Leslie Goodman and Thomas Vincent Goodman are on there so the Roll relates to those that served and not just those that died. If that is the case Pearl should be on there.

MILTON  -  Katherine (Kitty) Agnes Lawrence PORTER, A.A.N.S., died 16th July 1919. Her name is recorded on the Milton War Memorial, Milton Memorial Park, corner of Princes Highway and Thomas Street, Milton.

NORTH SYDNEY  -  Edith Selina Eastermorn, died 29th March 1918 in Paris. Her parents grave marker acts as a memorial to her and is inscribed "In loving memory of Thomas Francis Waller husband of C. Waller born 29th April 1844 died 17th January 1918 Eastermorn Waller daughter of T.F. & C. Waller born 9th April 1882 killed at St. Gervais Church, Paris during the German bombardment on Good Friday 29th March 1918 Caroline Waller wife of T.F. Waller born 3rd April 1842 died 2nd July 1898". Parents are buried in St. Thomas Rest Park, Crow's Nest, North Sydney". Plot number unknown but photograph here - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/182065274/eastermorn-waller

ROOKWOOD  -  Pearl Stella GOODMAN, military nurse, died 6th March 1919 is buried in plot E.0297, Independant, zone F, Rookwoodcemetery. Unmarked grave until 2019 when the Friends of Rockwood Cemetery erected one. Photograpg required.  Also Lily NUGENT, AANS, died 21st February 1918 is buried in plot R.C.L.962, Rookwood Necropolis.

WAVERLEY  -  Ursula M. ROPER, nurse, died 6th April 1918. Her name is recorded on the Waverley Soldiers' Memorial, Bondi Road, Bondi Junction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

KOGARAH  -  Edith BLAKE, QAIMNS, died 26th February 1918 at sea. Her name is on the Kogarah Roll of Honour which, when last enquired about, was in storage as the Kogarah RSL Club was having a new clubhouse built. If the new clubhouse has been built the R of H should be in it.

The new club has been built (a major building project with the club occupying the lower level of the building and apartments above), when inquiry made on 3 August 2022, the Roll of Honour was still in storage off-site with no time frame available for when it will be put back up on display in the club.

47 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

ROOKWOOD  -  Pearl Stella GOODMAN, military nurse, died 6th March 1919 is buried in plot E.0297, Independant, zone F, Rookwoodcemetery. Unmarked grave until 2019 when the Friends of Rockwood Cemetery erected one

Incorrect, as at 3 August 2022 this grave is still unmarked.

 

48 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

WAVERLEY  -  Ursula M. ROPER, nurse, died 6th April 1918. Her name is recorded on the Waverley Soldiers' Memorial, Bondi Road, Bondi Junction.

Incorrect, she is not recorded on this memorial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Chasemuseum said:

The new club has been built (a major building project with the club occupying the lower level of the building and apartments above), when inquiry made on 3 August 2022, the Roll of Honour was still in storage off-site with no time frame available for when it will be put back up on display in the club.

Incorrect, as at 3 August 2022 this grave is still unmarked.

 

Incorrect, she is not recorded on this memorial. 

Chasemuseum - Thank you for the update.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim - Georgina Morrison @ Dean's Grange emailed to you.

Edited by monkstown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2022 at 09:09, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you.

Jim

I have emailed you Nora Crofton and Kathleen Curtis, both Mount Jerome, Dublin.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, monkstown said:

Jim

I have emailed you Nora Crofton and Kathleen Curtis, both Mount Jerome, Dublin.

 

Thank you, Monkstown. Safely received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jim - and other Dublin-based forum members - re Eleanor Frances HILL, VAD, died February 1919, buried in St. Georges Burial Ground, Whitworth Road.

The burial ground at Whitworth Road Drumcondra is not open to the public and is completely overgrown. I managed to get in yesterday as part of a (luckily for me, well-timed) guided tour of the adjoining P V Doyle House/ NCBI (National Council for the Blind in Ireland) building which was originally a hospital. I photographed an old handwritten plan of the cemetery while on the guided tour and could see the name HILL beside the name Molesworth.  With the assistance of one of the guides, I found Molesworth but could not find HILL. Do you know if there is actually a headstone/memorial marker to this lady?  There were other names handwritten on the plan which could have been HILL/HALL/similar .... There are CWG graves in another part of the burial ground but that was inaccessible to me yesterday. The gentleman said he would try to follow up for me so I may have better news in the future....

 

Still to do: Dublin, Glasnevin  -  Elizabeth Mary MAHONY, VAD, died 15th April 1919. I have a photo off Find A Grave but need one without copyright issues. Also the name of Sheila Isabel Mary PLUNKETT is on the Glasnevin Cemetery War Memorial, Dublin.

Dublin, Grangegorman  -  Mary WALLACE, QMAAC, died 14th March 1919. Photograph of her name off the Grangegorman Memorial, Grangegorman Military Cemetery, Blackhorse Avenue required.

Edited by monkstown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, monkstown said:

Jim - and other Dublin-based forum members - re Eleanor Frances HILL, VAD, died February 1919, buried in St. Georges Burial Ground, Whitworth Road.

The burial ground at Whitworth Road Drumcondra is not open to the public and is completely overgrown. I managed to get in yesterday as part of a (luckily for me, well-timed) guided tour of the adjoining P V Doyle House/ NCBI (National Council for the Blind in Ireland) building which was originally a hospital. I photographed an old handwritten plan of the cemetery while on the guided tour and could see the name HILL beside the name Montgomery.  With the assistance of one of the guides, I found Montgomery but could not find HILL. Do you know if there is actually a headstone/memorial marker to this lady?  There were other names handwritten on the plan which could have been HILL/HALL/similar .... There are CWG graves in another part of the burial ground but that was inaccessible to me yesterday. The gentleman said he would try to follow up for me so I may have better news in the future....

 

 

I don't know if it helps but there is a map on this website of plot numbers and names.   https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=248677.0    From experience it is families from the poorer parts of our community that omitted to erect grave markers. For instance, very few munition workers had grave markers. Eleanor Frances Hill came from a middle-class family. Her father was a commercial clerk in the tea and wine industry. The expense of bringing her body back from Salisbury, England to Ireland would have been quite costly and it seems unlikely that having done so that a grave marker would not have been placed. Whether it is still there and readable is another matter. The burial register appears to be in the Church of Ireland archives.  https://www.ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegisters/DEF/Dublin-StGeorgeParishRegisterList.pdf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Jim - that map/plan is the same one I photographed in the building and you will be able to see a rectangle marked Molesworth above the O of PLAN OF and the grave immediately to the right of that - according to the plan - is HILL, but not visible on this image. There are other surnames which could be Hill/Hall on the plan too. There certainly was no 'upstanding' headstone at all beside Molesworth but the grass is so long that there could be a flat grave marker hidden in it. I will wait til I hear back from the kindly guide.

Could it be in the CWG section (which was inaccessible yesterday)?

Edited by monkstown
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, monkstown said:

Thanks Jim - that map/plan is the same one I photographed in the building and you will be able to see a rectangle marked Molesworth above the O of PLAN OF and the grave immediately to the right of that - according to the plan - is HILL, but not visible on this image. There are other surnames which could be Hill/Hall on the plan too. There certainly was no 'upstanding' headstone at all beside Molesworth but the grass is so long that there could be a flat grave marker hidden in it. I will wait til I hear back from the kindly guide.

Could it be in the CWG section (which was inaccessible yesterday)?

She is not commemorated by the CWGC so unlikely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/10/2022 at 11:54, monkstown said:

Could it be in the CWG section (which was inaccessible yesterday)?

As Jim said, it is highly unlikely, BUT in my local Cemetery, there are a total of 11 non-War graves in amongst the CWGC burials.

According to the Cemetery burial records, they all originally had War grave status, but later changed by the IWGC, and CWGC for WW2 after circumstances were researched.

So there is an outside chance that she may be in amongst the CWGC.

See if you can look at the burial registers for the Cemetery at the local Library or Archives. Thatll point you in the right direction. Burial registers list burials in order so as long as you know her date of death, her record should be easy enough to find.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, temptage said:

According to the Cemetery burial records, they all originally had War grave status, but later changed by the IWGC, and CWGC for WW2 after circumstances were researched.

Could you elaborate on that please. Were these found to be civilian casualties rather than service, as I have never come across a case where a grave  has had its status as a war grave removed?

 

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.

Edited by temptage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, keithmroberts said:

Could you elaborate on that please. Were these found to be civilian casualties rather than service, as I have never come across a case where a grave  has had its status as a war grave removed?

 

Keith

By the looks of it yes. There are actually 16 of them, and 15 of those of those are WW1 casualties. From memory, I think a high percentage of them are/were Sailors/Merchant Marine/MN, who have been treat differently by the rules and regs for acceptance by the CWGC across both Wars.

For any of them to be buried in the War plots, of which in Scartho Road they are buried in date order within the War plot, they must have been accepted as a casualty of War at the time of burial, as they appear on the later CWGC-produced Graves Registration Report Forms. If they hadn't have been accepted at the time, they would not have been included on the paperwork, like those below produced in 1924.

Its interesting to see two of them serving in the RNR, which I thought automatically entitled them to commemoration, and also a Cook who served in the RAMC.

doc4979891.JPG.e0c795ad94d1b73d4d9cf5644bbdfd9e.JPGdoc4979923.JPG.a489a199a0068f525a58c4b9f0bf8779.JPGdoc4979938.JPG.66013c4fff3c62c937443781c7366e29.JPG

Edited by temptage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...