Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Paul, I am sending what I have on Hilda Ayre-Smith directly to you. My notes say that she worked in a Red Cross Hospital. If she worked in a military hospital under military laws she would no doubt be eligible. The CWGC are aware of her and unless their criteria has changed she will not come under their care. I understand that her grave is unmarked. 

Jim - I have the Mt Jerome, Dublin  - Eileen (Eily) Wilkinson  - photos for you.

Edited to add - I found your email address from previous photos and have emailed them to you.

Edited by monkstown

22 hours ago, monkstown said:

Jim - I have the Mt Jerome, Dublin  - Eileen (Eily) Wilkinson  - photos for you.

Edited to add - I found your email address from previous photos and have emailed them to you.

Thank you, monkstown. I can confirm the photographs arrived safely. Thank you and much appreciated.

On 22/06/2022 at 12:37, temptage said:

I contacted St Peters Church, Eastgate, about when it might be possible to photograph anything inside the Church

"Thank you for your enquiry. The church is usually open Tuesday and Wednesday 9-3pm also Sundays 9 to 12pm should you wish to call any time. "

Jim, today I received an email from someone who is compiling a Parish History for St Peter in Eastgate in Lincoln. He has included a couple of photos, and has offered to take better photos if needed. If you PM me your email address, I can forward my email, and then you can contact him directly with your requirements.

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Just messaged you with my email address.

Sent

On 22/07/2022 at 13:23, temptage said:

Sent

I have been in touch with your correspondent and obtained phorographs of the commemorative window in St. Peters. He hopes to photograph the grave for me when he returns from holiday.

4 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I have been in touch with your correspondent and obtained phorographs of the commemorative window in St. Peters. He hopes to photograph the grave for me when he returns from holiday.

Yes I had seen your exchange of emails. I'm just glad I sent the original email to set the ball in motion. 

Hi Jim,

would like to help with some of the Australian searches. have sent a PM

Cheers

Ross

Jim, I have been sent high resolution photographs of the two womens headstones in Kantara War Memorial Cemetery, Lilian Elaine McPhail and Gwladys Margaret Thomas, both Aussies.

Would you like me to email them to you as posting them on here will reduce resolution and file size.

Tony

23 hours ago, temptage said:

Jim, I have been sent high resolution photographs of the two womens headstones in Kantara War Memorial Cemetery, Lilian Elaine McPhail and Gwladys Margaret Thomas, both Aussies.

Would you like me to email them to you as posting them on here will reduce resolution and file size.

Tony

Thank you, Tony. I am sending a message with email address.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim, I'm heading over to North Wales during the bank holiday and might be tempted to do Pwllheli and Penmorfa. Do you know if Kathleen Hugheston Roberts has a headstone at St Bueno's churchyard?

20 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Hi Jim, I'm heading over to North Wales during the bank holiday and might be tempted to do Pwllheli and Penmorfa. Do you know if Kathleen Hugheston Roberts has a headstone at St Bueno's churchyard?

Hello Paul, Kathleen Augusta Hugheston Roberts does have a grave marker in St. Bueno's churchyard. I have a photograph of it (always happy to take another). It currently comprises four pedestals which at one time had a cross on the top which now is gone. She is shown as Kathleen A. Roberts, V.A.D. 

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Finally a headstone for Eliza Willis Jim. Unfortunately the sun was awkward when I took the photo. I have sent them via we transfer but can go back and photograph again if you like

20220821_094319_resize_12.jpg

Thank you, Wayne. Safely received. I suppose strictly speaking there should be one headstone to include both Eliza and her son. They were buried on top of each other rather than side by side. But that is me being pedantic. Anyway, I much appreciate your getting the photograph.

Made it to Pwllheli over the weekend, but had to pass on Penmorfa. Your two ladies at Pwllheli Borough Cemetery...

Nurse Margaret Mary Evans, VAD: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75452954/margaret-mary-evans/

2065065690_MargaretMaryEvans.jpg.4aa277aac2e302a01baa7d60b3439223.jpg

Staff Nurse Margaret Evans Thomas, Territorial Force Nursing Service: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75229224/margaret-evans-thomas/

1023319326_MargaretEvansThomas1.jpg.b5d744937f0fab5925b3eb4e8da8d4f6.jpg

Also from Holyhead (Maeshyfryd) Burial Board Cemetery, Annie Roberts WRAF: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/670689/annie-roberts/

113637409_AnnieRoberts.jpg.ab0fac4e556e719fc9cf001a61c31e55.jpg

Harriet Barton at Budleigh Salterton Church Cemetery, taken two months ago:

P1145550.jpg.13a3720ad9c72fffd6850e17cf9

P1145553.jpg.34248d0aa9a621e93e68f4a57b0

Released by the CWGC today on social media

A rededication service is to be held at 11am in Manchester Southern Cemetery on Friday 2nd September to honour a nurse with a new CWGC headstone.

Nurse Hilda Florence Letitia Peare, born in 1894, in Co Wexford, Ireland, nursed sick and wounded soldiers at Manchester’s 2nd Western General Hospital during the First World War. She sadly died of Scarlet Fever contracted on duty in 1917, aged 23.

Her funeral was described in The Free Press in March 1917 “Her devotion to duty was fully appreciated and was evident from the remarkable demonstration of regret on the occasion of her internment. She was buried with full military honours, the gun carriage and the firing party being supplied by the Commanding Officer of Heaton Park Depot. ”

We are honoured to now mark her grave with a Commission headstone bearing her name, rank and Voluntary Aid Detachment insignia, and will care for her resting place in perpetuity.

The service has been organised by the CWGC and will be attended by CWGC staff, member of the local council, Royal British Legion and a representative from the Irish consulate. Members of the press and public are welcome to attend.

And they have already added a photo of the new headstone just for you Jim304780865_10159208972636094_9058692025216480944_n.jpg.18390f86585756f928ef1bf03bdf16d0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

About time for an update.    The French ones are building up as my research is concentrated on French female casualties at present.

UNITED KINGDOM

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CHANNEL ISLANDS, Jersey (St. Saviour)

CHESHIRE, Chester, Hatherlow

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf

DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Newport, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Cheltenham, Lydney,

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane, Tullanisken),

ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Goudhurst, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bolton, Healey, Manchester (just Peare once CWGC marker erected), Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Scothern, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon, Monmouth

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge, Jesmond

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Longdon, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Foxearth, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Camberwell, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Sunbury on Thames, Thames Ditton, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

YORKSHIRE, Bridlington, Colton, Ingleton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Malton, Redcar, Staithes

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, North Sydney, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes, Ghent, Poperinghe, Tournai (Wallonia)

CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (Brigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arcachon, Arles, Arras (Pas-de-Calais department), Bergerac, Béziers, Boutigny (Seine-et-Marne department), Calais, Carquefou (Loire-Atlantique department), Catillon (Nord), Celles-sur-Durolle  (Puy-de-Dôme department), Châlons-en-Champagne (Marne department), Châlons-en-Champagne, Châtres (Seine-et-Marne department), Chaumard (Nievre), Chaumont, Chénières (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Cherbourg-Octeville (Manche), Chiry-Ourscamp (Oise department), Choloy-Ménillot, Combres sous les Cotes (Meuse), Compiègne, Cosnes-et-Romain, Courgent (Yveslines), Dennevy (Saône-et-Loire), Dompierre (Oise), Douaumont-Vaux (Meuse department), Dugny-sur-Meuse, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Épinay-sur-Orge (Isle de France), Ermenonville (Oise department), Escaudœuvres (Nord), Étain (Meuse), Fère-Champenoise, Fresnois-la-Montagne (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Garennes-sur-Eure, Gironde, Gorges (Loire-Atlantique), Gravelines, Gray (Haute-Saône), Guiscard (Oise department), Hazebrouck (Nord department), Hemévez (Normandy), Honnechy (Nord department), Hussigny-Godbrange (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Ivry-sur-Seine, Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris), Jarville, Le Cateau-Cambrésis (Nord), La Fare-les-Oliviers  (Bouches-du-Rhône department), La Ferrière (Côtes-d'Armor), Lamalou, L'Isle-en-Rigault (Meuse), Longuyon (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Longwy (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Lure (Haute-Saône department), Luzarches (Val d'Oise), Lyon, Melun, Menton, Mercy-le-Haut (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Meximieux, Montendre (Charente-Maritime), Montmartre (Paris), Montourtier (Mayenne), Mont-Saint-Martin (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Montsûrs-Saint-Céneré (Mayenne department), Moosch (Haut-Rhin), Mouleydier (Dordogne), Mouzens (Dordogne), Nancy, Nery (Oise), Noaillan (Gironde department), Nogent-sur-Marne (Isle de France), Nomaine (Nord), Noyen-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe), Noyon (Oise department), Ornan (Doubs department), Pantin (Seine-Saint-Denis), Paris (Montparnasse), Pau (Pyrénées-Atlantiques department), Périgueux (Dordogne), Pierrefonds (Oise), Pompertuzat (Haute-Garonne), Pont-à-Mousson (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Préaux (Mayonne), Pys, Quemperven (Britanny), Quérénaing (Nord), Quiberon (Britanny), Recloses (Seine-et-Marne), Reims (Marne), Réméréville (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Rocabey (Ille-et-Vilaine), Rouen ((Saint-Maritime), Saint Amand les Aux, Saint Amour (Jura department), Saint-Germer-de-Fly (Oise), Saint Marcellin-en-Forez (Loire), Saint Martin Rivière (Aisne), Saint Quentin (Aisne), Saint-Jean-le-Priche (Saône-et-Loire), Saint-Just-en-Chaussée (Oise), Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine (Seine-Saint-Denis department), Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse, Saint-Servan-sur-Mer, Sallanches, Santenay (Loir-et-Cher), Sennecé.lès-Mâcon (Saône-et-Loire), Senones (Vosges department), Septeuil (Yvelines), Seraucourt-le-Grand (Aisne), Servan-sur-Mer (Ille et Vilaine department), Sèvres (Hauts-de-Seine department), Solosmes, Steenwerck, Strasbourg, Sus (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Susmiou (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Talant (Côte-d'Or department), Thonon-les-Baines (Haute-Savoie department), Toulouse (Haute Garonne), Vallon-Pont-d'Arc (Ardèche department), Vendôme (Loire-et-Cher), Vic-sur-Seille (Moselle department)

GREECE, Salonika

GUAM
INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Cork (Douglas), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Bitola, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
ROMANIA, Jassy

SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

SWITZERLAND, Grandson (Vaud canton)

TURKEY, Izmir

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro, Milton), Minnesota (Mankato), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern, Yonkers), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Fox Lake, Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months (temporary 12 months due to Covid) -

On :- CHANNEL ISLANDS, Jersey (St. Saviour) 12/21, CHESHIRE, Hatherlow 3/22, DORSETSHIRE, Southbourne (11/21), GLOUCESTERSHIRE (Cheltenham) 2/23, STAFFORDSHIRE Longdon (12/21), SURREY Camberwell (9/21), Thames Ditton (11/22)

AUSTRALIA New South Wales (North Sydney) (10/22)

BELGIUM  Poperinghe (10/21), Tournai (Wallonia) (5/22),

FRANCE Boutigny (Seine-et-Marne department) (5/22), Carquefou (Loire-Atlantique department) (5/22), Catillon (Nord) 1/22, Celles-sur-Durolle  (Puy-de-Dôme department) (5/22), Châlons-en-Champagne (Marne department) (5/22), Chénières (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (5/22), Chiry-Ourscamp (Oise department) (5/22), Combres sous les Cotes (Meuse) (12/21), Douaumont-Vaux (Meuse department) (5/22), Ermenonville (Oise department) (5/22), Fresnois-la-Montagne (Meurthe-et-Moselle) 5/22, Guiscard (Oise department) (5/22),Hazebrouck (Nord department) (8/22), Honnechy (Nord department) (5/22), Hussigny-Godbrange (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (5/22), Longuyon (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (1/22), Longwy (Meurthe-et-Moselle) (11/22), Lure (Haute-Saône department) (5/22), Luzarches (Val d'Oise) (8/22), Mercy-le-Haut (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (10/22), Mont-Saint-Martin (Meurthe-et-Moselle department) (5/22), Montsûrs-Saint-Céneré (Mayenne department) (5/22), Nery (Oise) (9/22), Noaillan (Gironde department) (5/22), Noyon (Oise department) (5/22), Pantin (Seine-Saint-Denis) (10/22), Périgueux (Dordogne) (8/22), Pont-à-Mousson (Meurthe-et-Moselle) (9/22), Quérénaing (Nord) (1/22),  Saint Amour (Jura department) (8/22), Saint Marcellin-en-Forez (Loire) (9/22), Saint Martin Rivière (Aisne) (10/22), Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine (Seine-Saint-Denis department) (8/22), Senones (Vosges department) (5/22), Seraucourt-le-Grand (Aisne) 9/22, Servan-sur-Mer (Ille et Vilaine department) (5/22), Sèvres (Hauts de Seine department) (5/22), Talant (Cote d'Or department) (5/22), Vallon-Pont-d'Arc (Ardèche department) (5/22), Vic-sur-Seille (Moselle department) (5/22)

IRELAND, Co. Cork (Douglas) 10/22

SWITZERLAND, Grandson (Vaud canton) (5/22)

U.S.A. Massachusetts (Milton) (5/22), New York (Yonkers) 1/22, (Wisconsin, Fox Lake) 11/21

OFF - DORSETSHIRE, Southbourne (3/22), LANCASHIRE, Kirby (5/22), WARWICKSHIRE - Coventry (1/22), YORKSHIRE - Sheffield (6/22), AUSTRALIA - Albany (Western Australia) 9/22, Rockwood (error for Rookwood) (7/22)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Who are the Dublin ones, Jim - I might be able to help.

1 hour ago, temptage said:

I thought you had got the Lincoln one now

Still to get in Lincolnshire

LINCOLN  -  Beatrice Mary HODGSON, VAD, died 29th December 1919. There is a remembrance tablet in a church (unknown) but we suspect that it is St. Peters church where there is a commemorative window and where she is buried (both of which I have).

MUMBY  -  Hilda and Mildred Bessie ROBERTSHAW, VADs, died 13th September 1920. They are buried in St. James churchyard and commemorated on the lychgate there (I have both). But there is beleived to be a plaque to the two sisters within the church.

SAUSTHORPE  -  Ethel, SWAN, VAD, died 28th February 1916. Buried in St. Andrew churchyard. Said to be a two step granite cross.

SCOTHERN  -   Charlotte FOX, munition worker, died 5th December 1916, buried in St. Germain churchyard. I have a Find A Grave one but need one to overcome copyright issues.

WALCOT  -  Lucy Marian THURLBY, VAD, died 10th September 1919. Buried in Walcot but cemetery/churchyard currently unknown. It is quite a small village so likely to be in St. Nicholas churchyard.

WELL  -  Mary HASNIP, VAD, died 10th December 1919. There are two individual plaque in her memory in St. Margarets Church.

WILLOUGHBY  -  Harriet SALES, VAD, died 1921. She is buried in St. Helena's churchyard (may be unmarked as a previous look failed to find her).