Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Thank you, Paul. I was not aware that the two names were on the Tyldesley war memorial. Mary Alice Marsh is buried in grave 287, row CE, plot C, so should have been easy enough to find with a cemetery plan. The CWGC adopted her in September 2018 and as over four years have passed I am surprised that a headstone has not yet been erected.

36 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you, Paul. I was not aware that the two names were on the Tyldesley war memorial. Mary Alice Marsh is buried in grave 287, row CE, plot C, so should have been easy enough to find with a cemetery plan. The CWGC adopted her in September 2018 and as over four years have passed I am surprised that a headstone has not yet been erected.

Hadn't noticed that she was commemorated. The grave is still awaiting verification, apparently.

CWGC: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75462817/mary-alice-marsh/

Bertha McIntosh at Atherton Cemetery, buried in New Section grave 1131:

P1201780a.jpg.3a130605e6213595e56b6810b4e26525.jpg

Nellie Morris at Weaste Cemetery, section 37 grave 1005:

P1201659a.jpg.61b6b9de901aa9f95cf9a4d0b5b5c92d.jpg

On 31/08/2022 at 19:02, temptage said:

Released by the CWGC today on social media

A rededication service is to be held at 11am in Manchester Southern Cemetery on Friday 2nd September to honour a nurse with a new CWGC headstone.

Nurse Hilda Florence Letitia Peare, born in 1894, in Co Wexford, Ireland, nursed sick and wounded soldiers at Manchester’s 2nd Western General Hospital during the First World War. She sadly died of Scarlet Fever contracted on duty in 1917, aged 23.

Her funeral was described in The Free Press in March 1917 “Her devotion to duty was fully appreciated and was evident from the remarkable demonstration of regret on the occasion of her internment. She was buried with full military honours, the gun carriage and the firing party being supplied by the Commanding Officer of Heaton Park Depot. ”

We are honoured to now mark her grave with a Commission headstone bearing her name, rank and Voluntary Aid Detachment insignia, and will care for her resting place in perpetuity.

The service has been organised by the CWGC and will be attended by CWGC staff, member of the local council, Royal British Legion and a representative from the Irish consulate. Members of the press and public are welcome to attend.

And they have already added a photo of the new headstone just for you Jim

I have just noticed that Hilda Peare appears as Hilda Pearce, with date of death as 14th March 1917 (rather than 13th as per her VAD card) in Matron Sparshott's list of all female nursing staff engaged in the 2nd Western General Hospital 1914-1919.

About time for an update.    I am taking a break from researching the French ones for the moment and have moved on to Belgian ones.

UNITED KINGDOM

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

BEDFORDSHIRE, Houghton Regis

BERKSHIRE, Sunninghill

BRECKNOCKSHIRE, Beaufort

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive,

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote, Cottenham, Mepal

CARDIGANSHIRE, Cardigan, Lampeter, New Quay

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili, Ammanford, Carmarthen, Llandovery,

CHANNEL ISLANDS, Jersey (St. Saviour)

CHESHIRE, Chester, Hatherlow

CLWYD, Gwersyllt (see Denbighshire, below)

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern, Llangwyfan, Llanrwst, Wrexham

DERBYSHIRE, Chesterfield, Croxall cum Oakley, Shirebrook, Tibshelf

DEVONSHIRE, Dawlish, Plymouth, St. Budeaux

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, Jarrow, Sunderland (Grangetown),

ESSEX, East Ham, Moulsham, Southend

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Aberdare, Cardiff, Crynant, Ebbw Vale, Llandough, Llanharry, Neath, Newport, Pontypridd, Southerdown, Swansea, Ton Petre, Ystalyfera, Ystrd Mynach

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Lydney,

GWENT, Ebww Vale

HAMPSHIRE, Gosport

HERTFORDSHIRE, Totteridge

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Brampton, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Fermanagh (Derrybrusk, Killadeas), Co. Longford (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Strabane, Tullanisken),

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Cheriton, Dover, Eltham, Erith, Folkestone, Goudhurst, Hawkinge, Hythe, Lewisham, Margate, Sidcup, Swanscombe, Sydenham, Tunbridge Wells

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bolton, Turton, Tyldesley

LEICESTERSHIRE, Leicester,

LINCOLNSHIRE, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Scothern, Walcot, Well, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Brompton, Camberwell, Camden, Chingford, Cowley, Ealing, East Ham, East Sheen, Erith, Fulham, Hampstead, Hampton, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, King's Cross, Lambeth, Mile End, Newham, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, Poplar, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, West Norwood, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh,

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan, Govilon, Monmouth

MONTYGOMERYSHIRE, Welshpool

NORFOLK, Caistor, Norwich

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Deene

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge, Jesmond

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Nottingham

POWYS, Llanllwchaiarn, Newtown
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Bradeley, Chasetown, Dudley, Eccleshall, Longdon, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Stoke -on-Trent, Tettenhall, Tipton, Walsall, Walton-on-the-Hill, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Foxearth, Kessingland, Saxtead
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Camberwell, Caterham, Chessington, Cobham, Esher, Farnham, Kingswood, Shirley, Streatham, Sunbury on Thames, Thames Ditton, Walton-on-Thames, Weybridge,
SUSSEX, Arlington, Hastings, Horsham, Warnham

YORKSHIRE, Colton, Kingston upon Hull, Kippax, Malton, Redcar, Staithes

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, North Sydney, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Ciney (Namur), Couillet (Wallonia),
Dinant (Wallonia), Froyennes, Ghent, Poperinghe, Rossignol, Spontin (Namur), Tournai (Wallonia), Villers-devant-Orval, Zottegem (East Flanders)

CANADA, Alberta (Cereal, Edmonton), British Columbia (Summerland), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (Brigus, St. Johns), Nova Scotia (Bridgewater, Fox River, +12, Yarmouth), Ontario (Athens, Brantford, Carleton, Galt, Kingstone, London, Paris, Sherbrooke, Teeswater, Toronto), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Arcachon, Arles, Arras (Pas-de-Calais department), Bergerac, Béziers, Boutigny (Seine-et-Marne department), Calais, Carquefou (Loire-Atlantique department), Catillon (Nord), Celles-sur-Durolle  (Puy-de-Dôme department), Châlons-en-Champagne (Marne department), Châlons-en-Champagne, Châtres (Seine-et-Marne department), Chaumard (Nievre), Chaumont, Chénières (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Cherbourg-Octeville (Manche), Chiry-Ourscamp (Oise department), Choloy-Ménillot, Combres sous les Cotes (Meuse), Compiègne, Cosnes-et-Romain, Courgent (Yveslines), Dennevy (Saône-et-Loire), Deuxville (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Dompierre (Oise), Douaumont-Vaux (Meuse department), Dugny-sur-Meuse, Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Épinay-sur-Orge (Isle de France), Ermenonville (Oise department), Escaudœuvres (Nord), Étain (Meuse), Fère-Champenoise, Fresnois-la-Montagne (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Garennes-sur-Eure, Gironde, Glageon (Nord), Gorges (Loire-Atlantique), Gravelines, Gray (Haute-Saône), Guiscard (Oise department), Hazebrouck (Nord department), Hemévez (Normandy), Honnechy (Nord department), Hussigny-Godbrange (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Ivry-sur-Seine, Issy-les-Moulineaux (Paris), Jarville, Le Cateau-Cambrésis (Nord), La Fare-les-Oliviers  (Bouches-du-Rhône department), La Ferrière (Côtes-d'Armor), Lamalou, L'Isle-en-Rigault (Meuse), Longuyon (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Longwy (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Lunéville (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Lure (Haute-Saône department), Luzarches (Val d'Oise), Lyon, Melun, Menton, Mercy-le-Haut (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Meximieux, Montendre (Charente-Maritime), Montmartre (Paris), Montourtier (Mayenne), Mont-Saint-Martin (Meurthe-et-Moselle department), Montsûrs-Saint-Céneré (Mayenne department), Moosch (Haut-Rhin), Mouleydier (Dordogne), Mouzens (Dordogne), Nancy, Nery (Oise), Noaillan (Gironde department), Nogent-sur-Marne (Isle de France), Nomaine (Nord), Noyon (Oise department), Ornan (Doubs department), Pantin (Seine-Saint-Denis), Paris (Montparnasse), Pau (Pyrénées-Atlantiques department), Périgueux (Dordogne), Pierrefonds (Oise), Pompertuzat (Haute-Garonne), Pont-à-Mousson (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Préaux (Mayonne), Pys, Quemperven (Britanny), Quérénaing (Nord), Quiberon (Britanny), Recloses (Seine-et-Marne), Reims (Marne), Réméréville (Meurthe-et-Moselle), Rocabey (Ille-et-Vilaine), Rouen ((Saint-Maritime), Saint Amand les Aux, Saint Amour (Jura department), Saint-Germer-de-Fly (Oise), Saint Marcellin-en-Forez (Loire), Saint Martin Rivière (Aisne), Saint Quentin (Aisne), Saint-Jean-le-Priche (Saône-et-Loire), Saint-Just-en-Chaussée (Oise), Saint-Ouen-sur-Seine (Seine-Saint-Denis department), Saint-Rémy-lès-Chevreuse, Saint-Servan-sur-Mer, Sallanches, San Gavino di Tenda (Corsica), Santenay (Loir-et-Cher), Semide (Ardennes department), Sennecé.lès-Mâcon (Saône-et-Loire), Senones (Vosges department), Seraucourt-le-Grand (Aisne), Servan-sur-Mer (Ille et Vilaine department), Sèvres (Hauts-de-Seine department), Sommepy-Tahure (Marne), Steenwerck, Strasbourg, Sus (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Susmiou (Pyrenees-Atlantiques), Talant (Cote d'Or department), Thonon-les-Baines (Haute-Savoie department), Toulouse (Haute Garonne), Vallon-Pont-d'Arc (Ardèche department), Vendin-le-Vieil (Pas-de-Calais), Vendôme (Loire-et-Cher), Vic-sur-Seille (Moselle department)

GREECE, Salonika

GUAM
INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon, Quin), Co. Cork (Douglas), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Rome

MACEDONIA, Bitola, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

NETHERLANDS, Muiderberg

NEW ZEALAND, Oamaru
PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
ROMANIA, Jassy

SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

SWITZERLAND, Grandson (Vaud canton)

TURKEY, Izmir

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Los Angeles, Oakland, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas, San Francisco), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Florida (Palatka), Georgia (Atlanta), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Chicago, Evanston, Kewanee, Marion, Norway, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Ellwood, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, West Liberty), Kansas (Peabody), Maine (East Stoneham, Old Town), Maryland (Baltimore), Massachusetts (Arlington, Boston x 2, Foxborough, Malden, Middleboro, Milton), Minnesota (Mankato), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Michigan (Detroit), Montana (Butte), New Hampshire (Concord), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Totowa, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, LeRoy, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Schenectady, Suffern, Yonkers), Ohio (Chardon, Cleveland, Kent,), Oklahoma (Mountain View), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Forty Fort, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Wilkes-Barr, Williamsport, Yeadon), Rhode Island (Providence), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Utah (Salt Lake City), Vermont (Bradford), Virginia (Arlington, Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), Wisconsin (Fox Lake, Milwaukee, Stevens Point, Superior)

within past six months

On :-

HAMPSHIRE, Gosport

SURREY, Streatham (1/24)

BELGIUM  Rossignol (4/23), Spontin (Namur) (2/23), Villers-devant-Orval (4/23), Zottegem (East Flanders) (3/23)

FRANCE Deuxville (Meurthe-et-Moselle) (5/23), Lunéville (Meurthe-et-Moselle),  (4/23), 

NETHERLANDS, Muiderberg (10/23)

OFF - ISLE OF LEWIS, Tolsta Chaolais (8/23), LANCASHIRE, Healey (3/23), Manchester (4/23), YORKSHIRE, Bridlington (5/23), Ingleton (4/23), FRANCE - Luzarches (Val d'Oise) (6/23), Noyen-sur-Sarthe (Sarthe) (7/23), Solosmes (7/23),

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Bolton, Manchester (just Peare once CWGC marker erected), Turton, Tyldesley

Hi Jim, did you need something else from Tyldesley?

5 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

Hi Jim, did you need something else from Tyldesley?

Eventually (assuming that my records are up to date). Mary Alice Marsh is buried in grave 287, row CE, Plot C, Tyldesley cemetery. You have kindly provided photographs of her unmarked grave and her name on the local war memorial. The CWGC have taken her into commemoration in September 2018 and I have left Tyldesley on my listing so that someone will go back in due course once a CWGC headstone is installed. If I take it off the list this might slip through the net and be missed.

New CH for Peare at Manchester Southern Cemetery, full size photo on Find-a-Grave:

P1212105.jpg.82c05c0b35ca191a0ea77a9cfbbde5fe.jpg

16 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

New CH for Peare at Manchester Southern Cemetery, full size photo on Find-a-Grave:

Good to see it. Thank you.

Darwen Cemetery - Mary Betsy Walsh (1895 - 1918) Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps No 40785

(Image: Friends of Darwen Cemetery)IMG_2023.jpg.4aef928743de45bbf69973f504ae22ef.jpg

Darwen News Saturday Jul 6, 1918

Private (Miss) M B Walsh

The death occurred at Endell-street Military Hospital, Covent Gardens, London, on Saturday last, of Private Mary Betsy Walsh, who was a member of Queen Mary’s Army Auxiliary Corps.

Private Walsh, who was 22 years of age, joined the QMAAC’s on 24th of May of this year and was sent to Chadderton, near Manchester, subsequently being removed to Woolwich, where she was in training as a cook for about three weeks. She was then transferred to the Connaught Club, London where she was taken ill and passed away after a week’s suffering from double pneumonia and bronchitis.

The deceased lady was formerly employed at Vale-street Mill and attended St George’s Church.

Before joining the QMAAC’s she resided with her uncle and aunt. Mr and Mrs Hill, at 2 Ratcliffe-street. The funeral took place from that address on Wednesday afternoon last when the last rites were conducted at Darwen Cemetery by the Rev F Bolton, MA, vicar of St George’ Church. The mourners were Mrs Holden (sister), Mr Marshall (uncle), Mr and Mrs Hill (uncle and aunt), Mrs Whiteside (aunt), Mr and Mrs Joseph Hill (uncle and aunt), Mrs F Hill (aunt), Mr and Mrs John Hill (uncle and aunt), Mrs Gibson (aunt), Mr and Mrs Ainsworth, Mrs Cuttle and Mr and Mrs Keighley. Wreaths were sent from the following:  Workpeople of Vale-street Mill; Mr and Mrs Hill, 22 Ratcliffe-street; Mrs Whiteside and family; Mrs and Miss Cronshaw (Feniscowles).

Darwen Weekly Advertiser Friday Jul 5, 1918

Private Mary Betsy Walsh

The funeral took place at Darwen Cemetery, on Wednesday, of Private Mary Betsy Walsh, of the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps, who died on Saturday in the South of England from double pneumonia. Formally a weaver at Vale Street Mill, she enlisted about six weeks ago and became ill only on Monday preceding her death. Before joining she lived with her uncle and aunt in Ratcliffe Street. She was twenty-three years of age.

Walsh – In loving memory of Pte. Mary Betsy Walsh. 40,785, QMAAC, who passed away on June 29th, 1918, at the Military Hospital, London, WC Interred at the Darwen Cemetery, July 3rd

With grief we gathered round your bed,

And gently raised your dying head,

Whilst oft from those dear lip would come,

The whispered words, “I’m coming home.”

From, her sorrowing Uncle and Aunt, and Cousins Jack and Mary, 2, Ratcliffe-street, Darwen

Mr and Mrs Hill Beg to thank all relatives and friends, and the Rev F Bolton MA, also the Manager and Workpeople of Vale-street Mill, for their kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes in their sad bereavement.

2, Ratcliffe-street, Darwen.

Darwen Gazette, Saturday Jul 6, 1918

Died from Pneumonia

The funeral took place at the Darwen Cemetery on Wednesday, of Private Mary Betsy Walsh, of the women’s Auxiliary Corps, whose death occurred on Saturday in the South of England from double pneumonia after only a few days illness. Twenty-three years of age, and formerly a weaver at Vale-street Mill, Miss Walsh enlisted some six weeks ago. On Monday week she became ill. Before joining she lived with her aunt and uncle at Ratcliffe-street, and was a member of st George’s Church.

Betsy Mary Walsh, Worker 40785, Cook,  QMAAC, died of double pneumonia and heart failure at Endell Street on the 29 June 1918.

Regards, Tony

• 3 weeks later...

Hilda/Hylda FM McLean - Warriston Cemetery 

Jim

I don't know if anyone has been recently to Warriston. We were waiting for her Commonwealth War Grave memorial to be put in place. 

I visited today. See the attached. I will also email to you

Kenny 

DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0053.JPG

44 minutes ago, Kenny.bell said:

Hilda/Hylda FM McLean - Warriston Cemetery 

Jim

I don't know if anyone has been recently to Warriston. We were waiting for her Commonwealth War Grave memorial to be put in place. 

I visited today. See the attached. I will also email to you

Kenny 

Thank you, Kenny. Emails also received. Much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Snapped this on my phone earlier today, Gertrude M Powicke on the war memorial at Manchester University.

20230513_190322.jpg.e3105b592670c2e6da8fed98f259f0d7.jpg

Thank you, Paul. I just love her backstory :- "She served in France and in July 1918 transferred to Poland to assist with the typhus epedemic. She was nursing in the area of Lemburg when she contacted typhus herself and eventually died in Warsaw. The local priest was upset that church doctrine forbade burying such a caring woman in the church cemetery as she was not a Roman Catholic. Her grave was dug on land adjoining the cemetery on the other side of the fence, and there she was buried. On the morning following her funeral her colleagues discovered that the fence had been moved to include her grave within the cemetery's consecrated ground".

Jim, can you list all the details you have for ALL the ones you need from Belgium, either on here, or PM me. I have fingers in pies on this one.

I have contact with a lady who lives in Poperinghe. She has also said she can get the Tournai area and around Froyennes. She also visits Ghent regularly.

Edited by temptage

22 hours ago, temptage said:

Jim, can you list all the details you have for ALL the ones you need from Belgium, either on here, or PM me. I have fingers in pies on this one.

It should be said that I already have some of these lifted off the Web but as they were without permission of the copyright holders I cannot use them. Most of my requirements are of memorials because I don't know where most of the Belgian girls are buried. I need to see the names on the memorials - not just the memorials from afar.

BELGIUM,

Bouvignes-sur-Meuse - The name of Henriette Vanderputte is recorded on the Bouvignes-sur-Meuse war memorial.

Brussels - Edith Cavell,Gabrielle Petit and Louise de Bettignies have their names on a plaque outside St. Gilles prison in Brussels. Cavell and Petit also have their names on the Belgiam Tir National Memorial at Schaerbeek, Brussels. Also within Schaerbeek cemetery, the grave marker of Gabrielle Petit. There is also a statue of Gabrielle Petit in Sint-Jansplein, Brussels.

Chimay - Andree Michat (aged 3) was buried with her mother in a cemetery in Chimay.

Ciney - Ciney war memorial has the name of Leopoldine Rasseneux on it (and possibly other females).

Couillet - Couillet has the name of Mathilde Mommens on it.

Dinant war memorial (near the Capuchin monastery) - Many female names recorded on it. Also the grave marker of Josephine Marie Leopoldine Dauphin in grave C.42, Cimetière de Neffe-Dinant, Dinant.

Drehance - The names of Marie Therese Joseph Gaudinne and Marie Minet are recorded on the Drehance war memorial.

Erwetegem - the name of Emma Baeskens is recorded on the Erwetegem war memorial.

Froyennes - There is a plaque at Canon d'Or coffee house in memory of Louise de Bettignies. 

Ghent - Colete de Noel, Philomene de Pryck, Zoe de Vuyst and Marie Preenen were buried in Westerbegraafplaats cemetery, Ghent. Graves there fell into disrepair and it is believed that a memorial was erected instead. There was a plaque on the wall of Marie Prennen's house at rue d'Anvers, Ghent in her memory.

Pellaines - Gabrielle Petit's name is recorded on the Pellaines war memorial.

Poperinghe - The grave marker of Martha Declerq in New Military cemetery, Poperinghe. Also there is the grave of Euphrasie Vanneste.

Rossignol - purpose built mausoleum in Rossignol cemetery to the 122 civilians executed at Arlon - any names?  Also Catherine Cozier, Marie Hurieaux (and possibly other women) named on the Rossignol war memorial.

Salzinnes - The name of Josephine Burnotte, Madeleine Delvaux, Fernande Pirsoul and Anna Wiame are recorded on the Salzinnes war memorial.

Spontin - The name of Germaine Burlet, Clemence Mine, Virginie Mine, Celestine Grevisse, Virginie Dewez, Eugenie Jaumain, Gabrielle Poncin, Laure Poncin, Leopoldine Rasseneux are recorded on the Spontin war memorial.

Tournai - A plaque with the name of Georgine Bossuyt and Flore Lafrance is on the wall of The Citadel, Tournai.

Villers-devant-Orval - The names of Clothilde Renaud and Marie Warnant are recorded on the Villers-devant-Orval war memorial.

Woluwe-Saint-Pierre - the grave of Alice Romdenne is in Cimetière de Stockel, Woluwe-Saint-Pierre

Zottegem - the name of Barbara Nroeckaert, Coleta de Pauw and Emma Marroyen are recorded on the Zottegem war memorial.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Thanks Jim. I will pass the details on to them and see what they can come up with. I shall also ask them, with their Belgian heritage and knowledge of male and female names, for them to photograph any other females that they may find on their travels.

18 hours ago, temptage said:

Thanks Jim. I will pass the details on to them and see what they can come up with. I shall also ask them, with their Belgian heritage and knowledge of male and female names, for them to photograph any other females that they may find on their travels.

Good luck with that. I have been struggling with Marie (and to a lesser extant, Joseph) as both were used for either gender. It was, and probably still is, a way of recognising a good Catholic family to add either names at registration of birth.

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Good luck with that. I have been struggling with Marie (and to a lesser extant, Joseph) as both were used for either gender. It was, and probably still is, a way of recognising a good Catholic family to add either names at registration of birth.

Thats why I have put it in their hands!

On 18/05/2023 at 11:18, Jim Strawbridge said:

There is also a statue of Gabrielle Petit in Sint-Jansplein, Brussels.

I have already posted these photos for you a while ago.

On 20/05/2023 at 13:44, temptage said:

I have already posted these photos for you a while ago.

My notes are not very clear but I accept that the statue of Gabrielle Petit is one that I do have in multiplicity and is no longer one that I need.

I have an offer from one person to seek out your requirements in Ghent, Zottegem and Erwetegem, with the addition of searching for other females on other War Memorials on their travels etc

Have had another offer for Poperinghe, Froyennes and Tournai with the addition of searching for other females on other War Memorials too. This one might not be actioned until the summer when she travels to and from Tournai from Pop quite regularly.