Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim. I have photographed the woman's memorial cupboards in York Minster. Do you want me to send you them?

9 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Hi Jim. I have photographed the woman's memorial cupboards in York Minster. Do you want me to send you them?

Hello Wayne, Thank you but I visited York Minster many years ago and took photographs of them myself.

Hello bostonwayne,

A little bit off topic, but I wonder if you would be able to send me photos of the TFNS and VAD panels which include the names of the four nurses on the attached image, who were killed at St Omer? 

Their story will be included in a talk I'm giving later this month and it would be nice to put the panel photos on one of the slides..

Best wishes,

Dave

Nurses.jpg

27 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Hello bostonwayne,

A little bit off topic, but I wonder if you would be able to send me photos of the TFNS and VAD panels which include the names of the four nurses on the attached image, who were killed at St Omer? 

Their story will be included in a talk I'm giving later this month and it would be nice to put the panel photos on one of the slides..

Best wishes,

Dave

Nurses.jpg

No problem how do you want me to send you them?

That’s brilliant, thank you! 

I’ll send a DM with my email address if that’s ok?

Dave 

15 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

Who do you need from Edgmond Jim? Going to Shrewsbury next week.

Annie Ruff, QMAAC, died 5th December 1918, was buried in an unmarked grave in Edgmond cemetery. A group of enthusiasts were going to raise funds for a grave marker.in October 2013. I have heard nothing more. I do not have a grave reference to find the grave - marked or otherwise. I would hope that the enthusiasts had completed their task after eleven years. A senior GWF member (2li - last posted December 2023) was on the case in 2012 and knows the exact location of her grave and he was one of the enthusiasts. It would be worth sending him a message. I have a photograph of her name on the Edgmond War Memorial.

Hi Jim, found a couple of nurses in the grave registration reports for Ince-in-Makerfield Cemetery, just wondering if you have any details? Neither are war graves.

Sister Maggie Barnes VAD, died 05/12/1918 age 24 at Withington Institute, buried plot CE.A.91

Prob. Nurse Mary Evelyn M. Boardman, died 26/02/1919 age 21 at Warrington Infirmary, buried plot RC.A.10

On 11/02/2024 at 16:24, PaulC78 said:

Hi Jim, found a couple of nurses in the grave registration reports for Ince-in-Makerfield Cemetery, just wondering if you have any details? Neither are war graves.

Sister Maggie Barnes VAD, died 05/12/1918 age 24 at Withington Institute, buried plot CE.A.91

Prob. Nurse Mary Evelyn M. Boardman, died 26/02/1919 age 21 at Warrington Infirmary, buried plot RC.A.10

Thank you, Paul. You have made my day. There are a few names on the York Minster panels that have had me stumped. Under "Auxiliary Hospitals" included are the names of M. Boardman and M. Barnes. This information was so sparse that I thought the identities would never be known. I think that my M. Boardman will prove to be your Mary Evelyn M. Boardman (b. 1898, d. 1919). Other than birth and death registrations I can find out nothing more about her.  My M. Barnes I think is your Maggie Barnes and I have had a bit more success with her. She was born in Ince in 1894 the daughter of William Barnes (a train driver) and Elizabeth Barnes. She had eleven siblings. I cannot see that she was a nurse or a VAD member so I guess that she worked in the hospital at Withington. So many thanks for putting the names in front of me.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Mary Evelyn Maud Boardman:

P1256395.jpg.50756170c174d981fd13dc6f9283ccba.jpg

P1256400.jpg.72604e5cb896738b692a55403749eaf2.jpg

Full size photos added to Find-a-Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/210785329/mary-evelyn_m-boardman

For Grave Registration Report Form at Ince Cemetery, see E Duddy: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/3066443/e-duddy/

Thank you, Paul. Callards CWGC Registration Report Form shows Maggie Barnes with a note "not a war grave". This is probably an old note superceded in recent times. I cannot see her on the BRCS database as a VAD but that doesn't surprise me as it is incomplete.

The details on the Boardman headstone has enabled me to find the family. Mary was known as Evelyn and her father was a grocer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jim

Your requirement for Bella Jane Bruce at Peterhead. Also requirement for Agnes Mitchell, Kirkton, Fraserburgh.

I have a friend who kindly went to look for these for me this week. He has sent me photographs for both.

Unfortunately, there is no stone for  Bella Jane Bruce at Peterhead. There are several for Agnes Mitchel - I will email the best of the bunch to you. Not great resolution but readable.

Regards

Kenny

Agnes Mitchell 2.jpg

Thank you, Kenny. Safely received. Please thank your friend for me.

I'll send you the photos Jim remembered in St Michaels churchyard Brierley Hill. 

20240213_155732_resize_86.jpg

17 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Thank you, Wayne.

I'm looking into her actual burial in St Patrick's. However it is a big cemetery 

She is not one that I am overly interested in. She died 11 years after the war end. Whoever provided the headstone may have thought that the war took such a strain that it was the cause of her demise but we will never know. The death certificate is unlikely to offer an answer. Interesting that her service was in Russia and Poland. Two unlikely places to have served as part of an allies organisation.

Beatrice's story:
"DEATH OF MISS B.P. Wright (County Express 23 Feb 1929)

Our obituary column announces today the death of Miss Beatrice Pashley Wright, eldest daughter of the late James Wright, of the Delph, a well known local manufacturer and for some while a public man and churchman, and warden of St Michael's Church. 

The news will be received by the older generation in Brierley Hill very sincere regret, for the Wright family were very well-known and were held in the highest respect. The late Miss Wright passed away at a nursing home in London yesterday week.  Early in life she joined the Roman Catholic Church and became a nun in the order of The Holy Family of Nazareth. From the time she joined the Order until about two years ago, she was in various convents on the Continent, and the great privations she suffered in Poland and Russia during the war undermined her constitution.

During the various stages of Lemberg, the nuns had to leave the convent and take shelter in the catacombs, and as there was no water supply they had to go out at night to the public fountains.

Miss Wright passed away at the Convent of The Holy Family of Nazareth, Enfield, Middlesex, of which she was the Mother Superior."

(Interred at Saint Patrick's Cemetery Leytonstone, Essex)

38 minutes ago, bostonwayne said:

Beatrice's story:
"DEATH OF MISS B.P. Wright (County Express 23 Feb 1929)

Our obituary column announces today the death of Miss Beatrice Pashley Wright, eldest daughter of the late James Wright, of the Delph, a well known local manufacturer and for some while a public man and churchman, and warden of St Michael's Church. 

The news will be received by the older generation in Brierley Hill very sincere regret, for the Wright family were very well-known and were held in the highest respect. The late Miss Wright passed away at a nursing home in London yesterday week.  Early in life she joined the Roman Catholic Church and became a nun in the order of The Holy Family of Nazareth. From the time she joined the Order until about two years ago, she was in various convents on the Continent, and the great privations she suffered in Poland and Russia during the war undermined her constitution.

During the various stages of Lemberg, the nuns had to leave the convent and take shelter in the catacombs, and as there was no water supply they had to go out at night to the public fountains.

Miss Wright passed away at the Convent of The Holy Family of Nazareth, Enfield, Middlesex, of which she was the Mother Superior."

(Interred at Saint Patrick's Cemetery Leytonstone, Essex)

Good find.

Dear Mr Bywater,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that Beatrice is buried in Grave Number 292 Plot A13. This is the grave for The Holy Family of Nazareth in Enfield.

She is recorded as Sr Electra Beatrice Wright, burial date 18th February 1929.

Please let us know if you are intending to visit the cemetery and we would be happy to assist you in locating this grave.

Kind regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this is off any interest to you Jim. Its a building that was used as a hostel for nurses in Wakefield during ww1. I've sent the photos via we transfer.

20240309_095803_resize_81.jpg

Thank you for thinking of me. It is memorials with names on that I gather, though.