Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

3 minutes ago, bostonwayne said:

There was another Giller grave behind where the headstone once stood. I'll we transfer you all the photos I took of both graves now.

I fear that it will be other Gillers but not Gladys, because, on paper, hers is 71 plots away.

Photographs

6 minutes ago, bostonwayne said:

I've transferred you my photos. I can search again on the 4th March as we are going to Bristol Rovers that day. 

Photographs received. The headstone for Francis Edward Giller relates to Thomas' son/Gladys' grand-father. That for Isabel Marian Giller is that for Gladys' aunt (her father's sister).

I've just emailed the cemetery so hopefully they can help. I will go back on the 4th March on our way to Bristol 

image.jpeg.c6c51343a4b19268943fca336afbf1cf.jpeg

Attached is the plot info for the Giller family received from the cemetery office when I was there a year or two ago.  Plot 10401 was the grave I was originally told was of Gladys. The one which was laying flat. Plot 10330 if I remember did not have a headstone when I was there. There is a possibility 10330 is her grave but I was going on information received at the time.

Regards,

Simon.

So going from your map Simon it appears that the correct grave is one grave behind and one to the right. I don't think there is a headstone as I photographed the one behind and you can just about see the one to the right of it.

20230218_113005_resize_53.jpg

20230218_113020_resize_16.jpg

In the original photo of the broken headstone for Giller, followed by the dug up section, lettering can be seen going right to the very bottom of the section being held, but in the previous photo there is still a large section connected to the base, which could have her name on it. There are several headstones in my local Cemetery where a family has 2 or even 3 plots next to each other, but all are named on a single headstone, so if she is buried in the next plot to where the broken headstone is, she 'might' be named on the lower section.

Edited by temptage

22 minutes ago, temptage said:

In the original photo of the broken headstone for Giller, followed by the dug up section, lettering can be seen going right to the very bottom of the section being held, but in the previous photo there is still a large section connected to the base, which could have her name on it. There are several headstones in my local Cemetery where a family has 2 or even 3 plots next to each other, but all are named on a single headstone, so if she is buried in the next plot to where the broken headstone is, she 'might' be named on the lower section.

Sadly not. 

20230218_112139_resize_77.jpg

The notes that Jim has on page 121 suggests that Gladys is in plot 10330 not 10401. In that case it is the grave below and too the right of the fallen one. I will check too see if any of my photos include the bare grave behind. The info I received was from the cemetery office who informed me that it was 10401. A possible error but not sure where Jim received his info about 10330.

Regards,

Simon.

Looking at it now I think there has been an error possibly on my part. When I initially went to take a photo there had been a storm and one of the Giller graves was covered up by branches etc this was 10330. When I returned it had been cleared but between original and return was informed that 10401 was the grave. I will check my photos this evening if not I can pop back this weekend to retake.

Not sure if a non-subscriber can get this but it is the Burial Record showing Thomas Giller as being buried in Q.10401. I cannot access the Burial Record showing Gladys Mary Giller. But thanks to Simon2's cemetery plan we know exactly where she is. All I need now is a photograph of the plot - even if without a marker.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5158/images/43138_636897_2281-00669?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=2c2eb8904db17ade4edd90c92181c00c&usePUB=true&_phsrc=epi484&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=12428941

Hi Jim,

Double checked the link and the burial record. I was originally given incorrect information. I can go at the weekend and retake photos.

Regards,

Simon.

15 hours ago, simon2 said:

Hi Jim,

Double checked the link and the burial record. I was originally given incorrect information. I can go at the weekend and retake photos.

Regards,

Simon.

simon2, thank you. Bostonwayne, thank you for your offer. Much appreciated but you can now go directly to the match !!

Hi Jim,

Photos of Gladys's grave have been taken just waiting to upload this evening.

Regards,

Simon.

On 29/01/2017 at 19:47, FJM said:

Jim, sent you some photos of the grave of Renira Chevallier in Rushmere St Andrew churchyard a few days ago by email, not sure if you received them. Let me know if not and I'll try again.

FJM

Hi Jim,
I'm the great-grandniece of Renira Chevallier and have many photos of her. I'll have a look through the collection tomorrow to see if there are any from her nursing days in the war. Let me know if you would like any information about her.

Dee

Hi Jim,

Apologies, got in way to late from work last night.

Anyway I am attaching the photos for you hope there ok if not or need something different just ask its local so can nip back. 

Gladys's grave is the space to the right of the cross (10331) and to the left of the low grave surround (Cook 10329 confirmed checked name on side of stone surround). Numbers taken from plot graph in previous post.  

Regards,

Simon

20230228_110722.jpg.5a207f5e29e3904eb25b2ad733ace153.jpg

20230228_110652.jpg.ce9b5cc7320a6ba2207e0c9c6b7ad626.jpg20230228_110800.jpg.1ce32d7ec3f0b2db31aecc3da71fa1f2.jpg

Edited by simon2

2 hours ago, deeinsyd said:

Hi Jim,
I'm the great-grandniece of Renira Chevallier and have many photos of her. I'll have a look through the collection tomorrow to see if there are any from her nursing days in the war. Let me know if you would like any information about her.

Dee

Hello Dee, I would normally message you direct but as you are a newcomer I am not sure if it would get through the system which was limited, I believe, until you have provided five posts to the Forum. So I am posting here what I have on a Renira so that you can sift through it and see if I have got any information wrong. If you could find a photograph of her, in or out of uniform, I would be most grateful, Kind regards, Jim

Chevallier

Renira Clementina

Rank/Title/Service Number: member                                                             photo of grave ack to Francis Mutimer

Unit/Force: Voluntary Aid Detachment

Place/Date of Birth: Suffolk; Ipswich/1890

Place/Date of Death: Middlesex; London/16/2/19

Place of Burial/Memorial: United Kingdom; Suffolk; Ipswich; Rushmere; St. Andrew's churchyard

Remarks: Renira's birth was registered in the third quarter 1890 in the Ipswich registration district. She was the daughter of Clement Chevallier (b. 1852 in Ipswich, d. 13th February 1943 in Ipswich) and Anna Emily Ormsby Chevallier (nee Johnson, b. 1863 on the Isle of Wight, m. 17th January 1889 in Bombay, d. 5th March 1949 in Ipswich). The 1901 census finds Renira living at her grandmother's house at The Moorings, Ipswich, Suffolk. Edith R.O. Johnson (b. 1832 in Worthing, Sussex) is a widow, and is living on her own means. Three of her children are there being Therza K. Johnson (b. 1867 in Dovernut, Essex), Guy de L. O. Johnson (b. 1870 in Dovernut, Essex, a naval lieutenant) and Ruth O. Christie (b. 1866 in Dovernut, Essex). Two grandchildren there are Renira C. Chevallier (b. 1890 in Ipswich, d. 16th February 1919) and Clement Theodore Chevallier (b. 1897 in Bombay, India, d. 23rd December 1964 in CheadleRoyalHospital, Cheadle, Cheshire - see military service below). There are four servants (including two nurses). She had two further siblings being Teresa Chevallier (b. 19th October 1893 in Ipswich, d. 1978 in Gipping, Suffolk) and Olivia Margaret Chavellier (b. 19th January 1895 in Aden, m. Henry Benjamin Barry in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia in 1923, one son, d. 27th September 1979 in Sydney - see military service below). The 1911 census finds Clement Theodore Chavallier as a boarder at the preparatory school, Aldeburgh Lodge, Aldeburgh, Suffolk. The whereabouts of Renira is unknown. Renira was engaged by the British Red Cross Society (Suffolk 22/V.A.D.) as a pantry maid on the 31st December 1916. Her duties were in the pantry with some basic nursing. From the 31st December 1916 until the 14th January 1917 she worked at BroadwaterAuxiliaryHospital,

Belstead Road
, Ipswich. From the 20th January 1917 until the 6th February 1917 she worked at HaywoodHeathHospital. From the 17th February 1917 until the 11th June 1918 she worked at St. Dunstans Annexe,
12 Sussex Place
. She gave her address as
44 Marlborough Road
, Ipswich. Her death was registered in the first quarter 1919 in the Southwark registration district. She was aged 28. Her grave marker reads "In memory of Renira Clementina Chevallier, who died whilst nursing at Guy's Hospital February 16th 1919, aged 28". The reverse reads "In memory of Anna Emily Ormsby, beloved wife of Clement Chevallier and mother of Renira, who died March 5th 1949 aged 85. R.I.P".  Clement Chevellier served as a 2nd lieutenant in the Hampshire Regiment. His address at the time was
44 Marlborough Road
, Ipswich. He was later a captain in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry. At that time he gave his address as
50 Wembury Park Road
, Peverell, Plymouth, Devon superceded by
51 Marlborough Road
, Ipswich. Whilst with the O.B.L.I. he commanded a light mortar battery and earned a mention in dispatches. Olivia Chevallier served as an A.A. in Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps from 19th December 1917 to 5th January 1920.   

1 hour ago, simon2 said:

Hi Jim,

Apologies, got in way to late from work last night.

Anyway I am attaching the photos for you hope there ok if not or need something different just ask its local so can nip back. 

Gladys's grave is the space to the right of the cross (10331) and to the left of the low grave surround (Cook 10329 confirmed checked name on side of stone surround). Numbers taken from plot 

Hi Simon. Looking at your photos I would say that both of the kerbs that are mostly buried are from the Giller grave. Could you see if there was any writing on them? 

Hi Bostonwayne,

I have attached an edited photo to explain.

20230228_110722.jpg.3089b64f1ff8b935599b6ddc6566c30c.jpg

Arrow one is grave 10329 'Cook'. I scraped away some moss around the edge and it is marked as 'Cook'.

Arrow two is 10330 'Giller'. This is unmarked but may be a family plot with 10331.

Arrow three is 10331 'Giller' the cross. Which is also confirmed.

Regards,

Simon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/12/2021 at 13:01, Jim Strawbridge said:

Healey   -   Effie Rosa Downes GUNTON, VAD, died March 1917. She is buried in Christ Church churchyard, Healey, Rochdale.

Hi Jim, I visited Healey yesterday but no joy with the grave. Most of the older headstones at Christ Church have been removed and rearranged around the perimeter wall. Had a good look but nothing for GUNTON or COTTLE (her maiden name). These are a few generic shots of the church grounds:

P1201573.jpg.44b5e17069fc0aa49b1f3c43bae5596f.jpg

P1201574.jpg.fd6b4df9d064e7306854e1d856f25f0f.jpg

Edited by PaulC78

Thank you, Paul, for looking. The Rochdale Observer for March 1917 reports :- "FUNERAL OF MRS EFFIE ROSA GUNTON  The news of the death of Mrs Effie Rosa Gunton, wife of Mr. George Arthur Gunton of East House, Roe Lane, Southport, caused great surprise to the residents of the Healey district, very few of them having been aware of her illness. As the daughter of the late Rev. J.J.H. Cottle, for many years the respected vicar of Christ Church, Healey, Mrs Gunton was well known at Healey. During the war she has been assisting in nursing the wounded in one of the military hospitals in Southport. Recently she suffered from blood poisoning, and when complications ensued she had not strength to combat them, and her death took place last Wednesday. The interment of the remains took place in the burial ground of Christ Church, Healey, on Saturday morning. The funeral service in the church and the committal rites at the graveside were conducted by the Rev. R.B. Blakeney, rector of North Meols, Southport. Mrs Gunton is survived by a widower and one daughter". The burial register shows that she was buried on the 31st March 1917 and that she had lived at East House,

33 Roe Lane
, Southport, Lancashire. So she is definitely there but lost through removal of grave markers. Once again, thank you for looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Also at Tyldesley, if I've worked it out right then this should be the unmarked grave of Mary Alice Marsh:

P1201758a.jpg.a9b9f4a80bf478dd80de8b877c5405be.jpg

War memorial at Tyldesley Cemetery, Allen and Marsh both named:

P1201753a.jpg.53e4ec49c59636d1e2f91a9996b8d579.jpg

P1201754a.jpg.656bbb48d44b5c69047fdbcdf6a88ac1.jpg