The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

22 hours ago, temptage said:

Do you have a list of all the females named on the Dinant Memorial? If not, they can be found here

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sac_de_Dinant_(1914)

Scroll down nearly half way until you see 'Les victimes', then click on 'Voir le nécrologe' and it will expand the names of all the victims of Dinant in 1914. In the column headed 'Sexe', look for all the ones with an 'F'. There should be 92 females

Thank you Temptage.  I have been using the excellent http://memorialgenweb.org/index.php  but Dinant is a peculiar one in that the original war memorial was destroyed in WW2 by the advancing Germans and a replacement was only put in place in recent times. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jim, I was in Lincoln today, parked up near Eastgate Cemetery, so nipped in to seek out the grave of Beatrice Mary Hodgson.

Check your emails

16 hours ago, temptage said:

Jim, I was in Lincoln today, parked up near Eastgate Cemetery, so nipped in to seek out the grave of Beatrice Mary Hodgson.

Check your emails

Thank you, Tony. Safely received. Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

What photo do you want from Tolsta Chaolais on Lewis.  My daughter and family are going to Harris but will probably go to the Dun Carloway broch and the Callanish Standing Stones which are both close.  The village was used in the filming of Katie Morag for CBEEBIES so that's another attraction.

Jim

14 hours ago, jlang said:

Jim,

What photo do you want from Tolsta Chaolais on Lewis.  My daughter and family are going to Harris but will probably go to the Dun Carloway broch and the Callanish Standing Stones which are both close.  The village was used in the filming of Katie Morag for CBEEBIES so that's another attraction.

Jim

Jim, Catherine McKay (nee MacLeod) (born 1847) was a munition worker who died in Dundee of influenza (exact date unknown to me). She was buried in Tolsta Chaolais cemetery. Her name is on the Tolsta Chaolais war memorial under her maiden name ( I already have a photograph of that). What I am after is a photograph of her grave which may be under her maiden name, her married name or, indeed, unmarked. Or she may be in her husband's grave if he is there (Kenneth McKay).

Thanks.  Is her date of birth correct?  If 1847, she would have been 67 in 1914.   I tried looking at Scotlands People, but nothing obvious for deaths.

1 hour ago, jlang said:

Thanks.  Is her date of birth correct?  If 1847, she would have been 67 in 1914.   I tried looking at Scotlands People, but nothing obvious for deaths.

Yes, the date of birth is correct as 1847. She was born in Garrabost, Stornaway the daughter of John MacLoed and Mary MacLoed. She is recorded in the 1851 Scotland census.

Thanks.  Do you know when they were married?  I can't kind any Kenneth McKay but there is a Norman married a Catherine MacLeod in 1889.

12 hours ago, jlang said:

Thanks.  Do you know when they were married?  I can't kind any Kenneth McKay but there is a Norman married a Catherine MacLeod in 1889.

It has been a while since I researched this woman. Going back to basics what we do know is that her name is on the Tolsta Chaolais War Memorial as Catherine MacLeod. I then found this website that mentioned her possible death of pneumonia in Dundee (http://facesmemorial.blogspot.com/2007/07/tolsta-chaolais.html). It also shows her as the daughter of John and Mary MacLeod. I then used family trees on Ancestry to broaden the background.  Five hits for John and Mary MacLeod living in Tolsta Chaolais. As we know there is many a slip between cup and lip so perhaps I have the wrong one. Maybe their family tree is not on Ancestry. Perhaps there is a Scottish newspaper archive that will enlighten us.

Thanks .  Interesting she is buried with her maiden name.  I will ask at the next Dundee  WFA meeting to see if they can tease out the Dundee part.  Hope my daughter find the grave!

Hi Jim

I expect you have tried this, but for the Uk outstanding requests one source for a person willing to take a photo may be the Family History Society for that County/area. Most have websites & would probably publish a request.

I was some years ago involved in recording the inscriptions in Chessington & Caterham Churchyards, Surrey, so at least the wording on those headstones has been recorded by East Surrey Family History Society, who completed all of the churchyards in their area.

Many of the larger London cemeteries also have friends organisation who may help.

Travers

Edited by travers61

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jim

Saw this today at Keir Churchyard, Dumfries and Galloway.

You probably have it but...

I emailed you the link to the grave on FindAGrave.

The note there implies that there is a Commonwealth War Grave there. However, there is not. Unless, of course, it's in the making.

Kenny

image.jpeg

Edited by Kenny.bell

Thank you, Kenny. This is a memorial to her on her grandfather's headstone. She is buried in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Find A Grave does not make that clear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Jim, do you have any idea what WFAS stands for? I photographed this headstone yesterday in case it was useful but I have no clue what it means, nothing useful comes up on Google.

P1245761.JPG.d21bd761f79fd0815f1180d401db6efd.JPG

• Admin
47 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

Hi Jim, do you have any idea what WFAS stands for? I photographed this headstone yesterday in case it was useful but I have no clue what it means, nothing useful comes up on Google.

Might there be a couple of clues in this newspaper cutting - Woodseats and Sheffield?  Sheffield Evening Telegraph 8/07/1918 [courtesy FMP]

image.png

On 26/08/2023 at 10:06, PaulC78 said:

Thinking first aid/nursing I came across no likely WW1 references in the BNA Index, but did see a 1931 reference to a Women's First Aid Society in Fife County distributing white walking sticks & a 1939 reference in the Motherwell Times to the post of Women's First Aid Supervisor.

But the S could be for Sheffield or Suffrage ?

Travers

Edited by travers61

Good thinking. Or even Woodseats First Aid Society as that is where she lived although St. John Ambulance seem to have been setting up First Aid Societies, particularly at universities, only in recent times.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I had been thinking Women's... First Aid?... Field Ambulance?... Service?... Society?... Section? Or something along those lines, but can't find anything specific.

Woodseats Friends’ Adult School has also been suggested to me and it does get a number of hits in the newspapers of that period. One article from 1913 gives a list of names which includes a Mrs G E Dawson, so that could well be it.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

Woodseats Friends’ Adult School has also been suggested to me and it does get a number of hits in the newspapers of that period. One article from 1913 gives a list of names which includes a Mrs G E Dawson, so that could well be it.

I think you have cracked it there.