Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Also Jim whilst looking for the Attenborough memorial I see there are 2 memorials 1 in Chilwell and the mass grave in St Mary's Church Attenborough. Is it just St Mary's you need or chilwell as well

On 03/01/2022 at 14:25, bostonwayne said:

Also Jim whilst looking for the Attenborough memorial I see there are 2 memorials 1 in Chilwell and the mass grave in St Mary's Church Attenborough. Is it just St Mary's you need or chilwell as well

Both would be useful. Thank you.

1 hour ago, bostonwayne said:

Died 10th January 1919 Annie Ellen Scholey. Do you know of her Jim

Wayne, Yes, she is one of mine. You kindly provided a photograph of her name on the Bolton on Dearne war memorial. I also have a photograph of her headstone which I think that I took on one of my trips through Yorkshire. Her family history is a bit complicated and her death due to an exploding poker is unusual but if there is anything that you particularly wanted to know just let me know. 

Born Annie Elizabeth Mitchell to Mary Mitchell (who later married Henry Scholey died 1905) 1899 in Owston Ferry, Lincolnshire, England. The family moved to Edward Street, Great Houghton by 1911.
Coroner's Report:
SCHOLEY COR/3/2/1919/5 14 Jan 1919
Annie of 22 William Street, Highgate, Rotherham, Yorkshire, cook in Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps stationed at Crowborough Camp, Sussex; 18; whilst being conveyed in an ambulance from Crowborough to the Royal Sussex County Hospital; shock following severe internal injuries caused by an accidental explosion at Crowborough Military Camp, insufficient evidence as to its cause; [no verdict].
Annie is buried in Bolton-upon-Dearne cemetery Plot K.238 with a CWGC headstone. 

According to the Swinton and Mexborough Times, Annie was killed during a Whist Drive in the Recreation Hall at Crowborough Camp, Sussex. Somebody was using on old metal rod to stoke the fire in a large army pattern stove when it exploded. Unbeknownst to the 200 people present, the rod (which had been used as a poker for several months) contained an explosive substance. The explosion sent bits of metal flying through the hall. Annie was struck in the side. An attempt was made to take her to hospital but she passed away in the ambulance. Five soldiers were also injured but Annie was the only fatality.

y4m87QZhDIsv1h2h1NfiSWC-RIYTFLLLJ8tHHQsPSiFKfP8Kg0n0_XRnbBbZVB64h87VKi3yGm0L6PI79ACnSu_0V5mBbhgJGQxzSc1LvrACafDoyp_a1ozefCajrncBG7vl-Yj5TYqbKlV-Ab3VgqbuekjqljIifbKwQk-qhLC5iWHaXlUZxPj85kRl2QMFMMFH.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Nottingham yesterday. Didn't have much time due to it getting dark so early. The chilwell memorial is inside a army barracks and they wouldn't let me in. I may be able to get in on a Saturday depends on the guard. Went to ST Mary's and photographed the memorial there. Will email you them. On twitter they were showing a headstone to be placed in the next couple of weeks in Edinburgh. Not sure if you're aware so I've put a photo here

20220125_163635_resize_24.jpg

20220126_082125.jpg

And here is the original for comparison (with acknowledgement to K.F. Kelly). Note Hylda and Hilda.

MacLeanHFM1.jpg

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Thank you, Wayne. A useful site. Aside, I think that it is a shame that the CWGC has the new grave marker as Hilda when throughout her life she was known as Hylda.

I've asked them to check the spelling. However from her birth register she was registered as Hilda. So I'm not sure if they'll change the stone

Screenshot_20220128-110442_Samsung Internet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2022 at 12:47, Jim Strawbridge said:

Wayne, Yes, she is one of mine. You kindly provided a photograph of her name on the Bolton on Dearne war memorial. I also have a photograph of her headstone which I think that I took on one of my trips through Yorkshire. Her family history is a bit complicated and her death due to an exploding poker is unusual but if there is anything that you particularly wanted to know just let me know. 

Just picked this up Jim...I did a bit of research on Annie for a friend of mine currently writing the final part of a series of books around Mexborough in the Great War. Our initial assumption was that Annie would be a local girl, Scholey's being a well known family of boat builders on the canal for many years.

If it's of any use to you, I found that they had been rousing the fire with an armed Bangalore Torpedo.

Andy

Edited by sadbrewer

Wikipedia shows :- "The Bangalore torpedo was standardized to consist of a number of externally identical 1.5 m (5 ft) lengths of threaded pipe, one of which contained the explosive charge. The pipes would be screwed together using connecting sleeves to make a longer pipe of the required length, somewhat like a chimney brush or drain clearing rod".  If the rod was five feet long then it seems to be too big to be used to stoke a fire. Perhaps an earlier version before standardisation.

12 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Wikipedia shows :- "The Bangalore torpedo was standardized to consist of a number of externally identical 1.5 m (5 ft) lengths of threaded pipe, one of which contained the explosive charge. The pipes would be screwed together using connecting sleeves to make a longer pipe of the required length, somewhat like a chimney brush or drain clearing rod".  If the rod was five feet long then it seems to be too big to be used to stoke a fire. Perhaps an earlier version before standardisation.

Apologies Jim I should have expanded a little....I don't have it to hand , but the article I found went into more detail and made it clear that we are not talking about a household fire grate type fire being poked, they were using it as a tool in a rather large bonfire.

Edited by sadbrewer

12 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Apologies Jim I should have expanded a little....I don't have it to hand , but the article I found went into more detail and made it clear that we are not talking about a household fire grate type fire being poked, they were using it as a tool in a rather large bonfire.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thank you for elaborating. My notes (contemporary) show :- "Somebody was using on old metal rod to stoke the fire in a large army pattern stove".   I have no idea what a large army pattern stove could be but presumably much larger than a normal domestic one if it was used for heating/cooking for a largish number of people.

Yes, I have Castledine's memorial. The church is Stockdale Methodist. However, nurse E. Swift is new to me. Sometime memorial boards show all those that served - not just casualties, but I looked up a few other names and cross-referenced with CWGC and they were casualties so I assume that they all were. She was almost certainly a civilian nurse so I must knuckle down and see if I can find out more about her. If you are ever over Sheffield way with time on your hands a photograph of her name on the memorial would be appreciated.

This is what I've found on the web. I'll try to find out more Ethel Swift.

nursing Sister with the Indian Expeditionary Force . Died 1920 from Malaria caught in Afghanistan Buried Fulwood Pict +article? SDT 29/3/20 Funeral? & obit SDT 31/3/20 Sister of Edwin Ellis

Edited by bostonwayne

20 hours ago, bostonwayne said:

This is what I've found on the web. I'll try to find out more Ethel Swift.

nursing Sister with the Indian Expeditionary Force . Died 1920 from Malaria caught in Afghanistan Buried Fulwood Pict +article? SDT 29/3/20 Funeral? & obit SDT 31/3/20 Sister of Edwin Ellis

My research - so far. As you can see I have nothing re the Indian Expeditionary Force, her service with them, details of her death or burial place

Remarks: I am indebted to Wayne Bywater for advising me that the name of E. Swift. R.R.C. can be found on the memorial in Victorial Hall Methodist church, Norfolk Street, Sheffield. Ethel Swift, who died on 26 March 1920, was a nurse and the daughter of the Superintendant Hall keeper. The 1891 census finds the family living at 73 Mulehouse Lane, Nether Hallam, Yorkshire. Urban Swift (b. 1863 in Sheffield, Yorkshire, d. 7th April 1924 at 5 Highgate, Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire) is an assistant in Mappin Art Gallery married to Annie Swift (nee Ellis, b. 1864 in Sheffield, m. 1885). They have two children being Edwin Ellis Swift (b. 1887 in Ranmoor, Sheffield, d. 23rd August 1916 in France) and Ethel Swift (b. 1889 in Sheffield, d. 27th March 1920 in Newcross, Surrey). The 1901 census finds the family living at 100 Norfolk Street (the Town Hall), South Sheffield, Yorkshire. Urban Swift is the caretaker/superintendant hall keeper, married to Annie Swift. There are four children being Edwin E. Swift, Ethel Swift, Reginald Swift (b. 1892 in Sheffield, m. Emily Rimmer in 1922, one child, d. 22nd February 1964 in Sheffield) and Winnifred Swift (b. 1900 in Sheffield). The 1911 census finds an Ethel Swift (aged 22, b. Sheffield) as a probationer sick nurse at Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse, Union Road, The Edge, Sheffield, Yorkshire but we cannot be sure that this is her as her entry in the Nursing Register is dated 1919 and she is still registered in 1923 although this may be an editing error. The Midwives Roll shows a similar picture with her enrolment on the 16th June 1913 and still registered in 1931. All registrations show her as being at the Ecclesall Bierlow Union Workhouse and the only other explanation is that we have picked up the wrong 1911 census entry (for another Ethel Swift) and she is not recorded on the census. The Probate Register shows Ethel Swift of the Town Hall, Sheffield, spinster, died 27th March 1920 at the South Eastern Hospital, New Cross, Surrey. Administration was granted to Urban Swift, town hall superintendant, Sheffield. The estate was valued at £153.10s.9d. Her death was registered in the first quarter 1920 in the Greenwich registration district, aged 31.  Edwin Ellis Swift was a clerk in an education office before he enlisted. He served as 12/2133 Private E.E. Swift, 2nd Battalion, York and Lancaster Regiment. He died at the General Hospital, Boulogne whilst attached to the 1st/5th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment on the 23rd August 1916, aged 28, and is buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. He was single.

Well I'll go look for the grave as soon as I can. Buried in fulwood Sheffield which is christchurch Fulwood. Unfortunately this church has not yet been recorded so I will have to search the churchyard. As soon as I can 

Also the sdt above is the Sheffield daily telegraph. Seemscthers a article on the 29th March 1920 and a obit on the 31st March 1920. The Victoria hall is next to the archives so will visit both this week.