The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Imperial German Bayonet’s from my Collection

Steve1871

Bayonet #85        
1/1/23

S.71 Wurttenberg  PFM

Spine.            None.         
Maker.           Gebr  Weyersberg ( Think).   
Unit.              13.P.E.2.45.          
13th Pionier Battalion, 2nd Ersatz Kompany Waffe 45

One of the Rarest of the S.71 family, the maker is mostly worn away. There are either 3 or 4 types, only differ in the Fullers. As you see, Squared base/ tapered front.in very good shape

Scabbard with Frog.      
Scabbard leather above average, throat stamped, chape, great, final has a good size dent in one side. On The other types of S.71’s, the final had a brass staple on one side to lock on leather body. This type scabbard has brass staples on both sides. As rare as this bayonet is. The scabbard for it is even more rare.

Frog in good shape for it’s age, darker on front, still has brown on back. 

F9208238-A234-47D9-8413-E6427C8460B2.jpeg

5A80A357-5555-4060-BE5D-70D580697429.jpeg

B841D63B-3393-4C85-A36C-3149A55BB2DA.jpeg

76B671AE-24AA-46C8-A793-D962ABFA5010.jpeg

BBF59E19-FA94-4390-923F-E5EC5E53E727.jpeg

11A7E869-4ED5-4869-87F2-801F88516ED9.jpeg

EAFE49E3-816A-4BA3-9247-FB247372843C.jpeg

4BAADB87-3E76-4252-961D-A290DA860F5B.jpeg

8021CA69-A2F1-417F-A568-1EE38146189C.jpeg

E77B58E9-5EAA-4CC9-8797-29C26470939A.jpeg

69EB9C67-EBBE-4591-985B-816D9EFD1B57.jpeg

E32BDFF9-C724-4BFF-A532-9AA72E28B4CC.jpeg

Edited by Steve1871

Certainly a scarce piece, Wurttemberg PFM1871, the maker should be as mentioned Gebr.Weyersberg, the unit is Wurttemberg 13.Pionier Batallion , Ersatz part of unit, 2.Company and weapon nr, the frog is very well preserved.

A rare piece and a lovely example of one as well! Best Christmas/New Year's present to oneself I can think of, Steve!

Julian

Hallo my friends,

Forgive me Steve, but ... I know it's rarae bayonet etc. etc. 

The frog looks Balkan or Turkish to me.

And I have big doubts about the flat spring. Mayby it may be a raplecement in the era originally broken.

For comparision, my "spring".

All tne best in new 2023 and peace in the world

P1240736.JPG

Hey Rafal 

No problem’s with your comment.I think my frog here is correct German, check A. Carter book on frogs.      
On the leaf spring on mine. It look’s like the end or “ elbow” where it turns up is just slightly bent. It still works perfectly. From a strait on view. You do not even see it. It shows  some age discoloration for steel for it’s age. It also matches the steel cross guard in tone.. I believe it to be original. These Wurttemberg PFM’s saw very little use,  so is in above average condition. 

I love the fact that you have one! Just showing a part of your’s is teasing me. Can you PLEASE do a nice post on yours for us on the forum! Thank’s for the pic and comment 

Steve,

I respect my first (German) bayonet master Anthony Carter very much, but the "drawing" publication about frogs of the world is quite "poor" for the present times. Our role is to complement and correct it. As Roy and Christian did and we try a little ...

I suggest you purchase Roy Williams' publication on German frogs. It does not exhaust the topic but it is currently the best on the market and it will be hard for anyone to match Roy.

It is a pity that he failed to realize his publishing plans about the bayonets of the Third Reich ...

My Wirttenberg Pionier. 

If you wish any photos of its parts - write. I don't have it yet with a long fuller but maybe someday I will get it

Best Rafal

P.S. And I envy you a few bayonets anyway ... Damn

P1240736.JPG

P1240737.JPG

Very nice item too, there should be looked for german literature for Ruediger or others, Carter is good for starting, anyway as its already 50 years old there are many errors mainly on frogs and on some bayonets too.

About this frog i am uncertain, as by Wurttemberg could be different modells as by Prussian, question remains its a period repair with rivets. But the frog looks old and is for large heavy blade.

About the locking lug spring is probably Rafal right, could be replaced in time, looks too  small for the hole.

From the Ruediger book Rafal has the first type, made with older M1860 Artillerie blades. Steve has the second II. made by Gebr.Weyersberg blades.

Edited by AndyBsk

Rafal.     
little confused on your text? You say you no have one yet with a long fuller. Are you getting another one? The one you show here, those are the sellers photo’s on layaway?

It is a great piece! Both of ours here are from SAME EXACT UNIT.    
13th Wurttemberg Pionier Battalion, second Kompany!!!!!!!!!!!!    
how rare is that, fantastic I will ALWAYS wish I had your’s too. You probably think the same

Last two for sale, £3700 think in U.K.  And $4200 in U.S., at these prices, I will never afford any more

Rafal and Andy

we will never know for sure on the leaf spring, but even if it is a replacement, there is no damage to pommel, and it would be a period replacement as seen by the same aging/ tone on the cross guard. I am still very satisfied with this rare piece. 

As I have my voice.

I'm interested in the number 119 on the upper fitting. It's not the first time I've seen it on German scabbards. I don't think it's German. Czech, Austro-Hungarian warehouse ? What do you think Andy? :-)

There is 1194 probably, could be inventory stamp, as some of PFM were delivered to Austria with Gew88 in WW1 teoretically it could be one of this? but i am not certain about.

Steve

Württemberg had only one pioneer/sapper battalion -13. and 4 companies. We have different gun numbers There are two variants of the pioneering Würtenberg bayonets - LONG AND SHORT ROOF

Yes - such crazy cans for this bayonet

Where is the # 119 ?  I no see it?   
the chape, or upper fitting is covered by the frog, except the frog stud, looked all photo’s posted and no see 119? 

From Ruediger pg.134 Rafals blade started life as Artillerie Hau Bajonett M1860 made of 3000 pcs by Gebr.Weyersberg Solingen. In that time Pioniere had no similar weapons.

In late 60ies was changed the armament of Jaeger and Pionier units with M1860/70 rifle and reworked Faschinenmesser of M1860 type.

Since 1876 they were rearmed with Jägerbuchse M1871 and the old blades of M1860 were partly used by reworking to PFM1871 with new M1871 handle. The old blade is typical by fullers ended with rectangular end.

The newer PFM 1871 production as visible by Steve was with lower end of fuller cylindrical.

The 1194 is on mouth piece of scabbard vertically oriented under unit stamp.

Edited by AndyBsk

You have right 1194

Raf

Steve did You see the unit on Your scabbard? Or is the frog too tigh on the scabbard and no visible the unit stamp, maybe similar inventory stamp as 1194 could be on this weapon too.

Edited by AndyBsk

Andy.       
Yes, too tight and stiff to try pry frog off. Would be great if matching, but no try break just to see

Andy.      
which vol. of Ruediger please 

48 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

Andy.       
Yes, too tight and stiff to try pry frog off. Would be great if matching, but no try break just to see

Steve

It is enough to slightly tilt the back part of the frog loop and you will see whether there is a mark on the upper fitting of the scabbard. The skin as you can see is soft and elastic. There is no need to take it off. German frogs are often stiff. Balkan and Spanish similar to German soft like ... bla bla :-)

But nothing by force

It will be long time before I get back home to look for it.  I am about 2900 Km away right now, fighting snow, next load send me farther away. A trucker in America 

21 minutes ago, Steve1871 said:

It will be long time before I get back home to look for it.  I am about 2900 Km away right now, fighting snow, next load send me farther away. A trucker in America 

Patience is the collector's middle name

Best Rafal

Raf 

just double check my photo’s ( my digital library), and mine is same length as your’s,   You thought only 2 types, differ in fuller only. There are at least 3 types, maybe , 4. I not sure. I do not have Rudiger’s vol. 3 with me to check

Fullers.       
a.   Squared base with tapered end.      
b. Squared off, both ends- like yours.    
c. Squared base, tapered end, but longer and whole fuller is thinner than other two

Without vol. 3 or another book showing various types, I do not know if they ever had one with a fuller, tapered on both ends

Wurttemberg units

I no know how many Kompany’s they had, but 

Wirt. 13th Pionier Ersatz Battalion had at least 5 Kompanies, anyone know if they had more? I would think that each of these Ersatz Kompanys were issued with the same Double edge PFM bayonets

According to this site they had exactly 5 companies over the 4 years of war:

August 7th 1914 Founding of 2 Recruit Depots
August 8th 1914 Founding of 1st-3rd Ersatz Kompanie
          May 1915 Founding of 4th Ersatz Kompanie and 3rd Recruit Depot
January 27 1918 Founding of 5th Ersatz Kompanie (stationed in Wassigny)

Both Rafal's and Steve's bayonets would've been stamped (at the very latest!) in the later 2nd half of 1914.

Thank’s Sir Mortimer